ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa board is comical.....

"There is nothing “lateral” about it. Mr. Sanderson is no fool. Do a little research and find out how many of the ten 2009 NCAA Div. 1 champions attended high school within no more than a four-drive from the Penn State campus. Then the light should go on. As a U. of I. alum, I can say this: Within three years or so, the Hawkeyes will be an also-ran behind Penn State in the Big Ten and nationally. Mr. Sanderson is going to cash in big with the high school wrestlers in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Virginia, and that is all it is going to take to dominate college wrestling for years going forward. It is going to look like Dan Gable started over and became a Penn Stater. It wish it were not so, but—as Walter might have said—that’s the way it is." - Whitehall, April 20, 2009
That guy was on point.

RossWB isn't so cocky now

Reactions: diggerpup and T J
"There is nothing “lateral” about it. Mr. Sanderson is no fool. Do a little research and find out how many of the ten 2009 NCAA Div. 1 champions attended high school within no more than a four-drive from the Penn State campus. Then the light should go on. As a U. of I. alum, I can say this: Within three years or so, the Hawkeyes will be an also-ran behind Penn State in the Big Ten and nationally. Mr. Sanderson is going to cash in big with the high school wrestlers in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Virginia, and that is all it is going to take to dominate college wrestling for years going forward. It is going to look like Dan Gable started over and became a Penn Stater. It wish it were not so, but—as Walter might have said—that’s the way it is." - Whitehall, April 20, 2009

Technically, he was wrong.

It took 2 years, not 3.

Reactions: T J

Boy, that one catches the eye quickly. I was on board with Whitehall. When I got the news about Cael's hiring, I was running around my house screaming with joy. I thought that PSU would get its first championship in 2012. To get it in Philly in 2011 was a real bonus, especially because I was able to attend in person with a 90 minute drive.

Reactions: Grass and diggerpup
I'm reading other posts here about how terrible the HR board is. The posters there call Penn State posters names and denigrate their knowledge of wrestling and laugh at them. So what? We have the best team in college wrestling by far and that speaks for itself. There's no need for this other stuff as if Iowa fans don't admit that, it somehow isn't true. That's silly.

Also, why is it that these people complaining about the HR board are so hurt about being banned from there? Why is it they beg to be let back on that board? Why is it so important to them to show the HR posters there how wrong they are about everything they say about Penn State? Anyone confident and proud about their team doesn't need to prove anything to anybody.

I'd say to our posters, HR is their board, so let them be as stupid and bias as they want when they post there. Do the Penn State posters who go there really think they will show those posters the error of their ways and have them admit that Penn State is a better program? That's just not going to happen. They are loyal fans of the Hawkeyes, for crap sake, and going over there and ramming Penn State topics down their throats is just childish. Sorry.

Wouldn't know about any of that as I've never posted on HR - nor have I ever felt the desire to; I have read their board on occassion depending on topic....it's their board, they're entitled to have whatever nonsensical, self-delusional discussions they want. They're fans can be quite delusional depending on topic - one of their most absurd topics is acting like Pennsylvania and PSU fans are "new to wrestling". I grew up in Pennsylvania and wrestled there in the 1970s - I wrestled with multiple guys who would win NCAA titles, make the U.S. National Team and wrestle in the Olympics. The notion that Pennsylvania wrestling fans are "Johnny come latelies" in regards to wrestling fandom or knowledge is about as asinine as their jokes about Cael's statement in 2009, that PSU would not win another title after 2014, etc... IOW, pure "brilliance" in the Guinness commercial sense...

Technically, he was wrong.

It took 2 years, not 3.
giphy.gif

Reactions: diggerpup
The notion that Penn State fans are "Johnny come lately" is comical: There IS no fan base in America that understands wrestling more than Penn States. PSU fans are on a par with Iowa fans, and Oklahoma State fans, and ANY fans: They have grown up with the sport, as popular as it is in Pennsylvania, and as a state, knowing that Pennsylvania is the Mecca of high school wrestling.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Boy, that one catches the eye quickly. I was on board with Whitehall. When I got the news about Cael's hiring, I was running around my house screaming with joy. I thought that PSU would get its first championship in 2012. To get it in Philly in 2011 was a real bonus, especially because I was able to attend in person with a 90 minute drive.
I was pretty much shocked when I heard of the hiring. That type of stuff almost never happened to any of my teams.

Reactions: LHavenlion
Its easy to go back in time and find fault with things posted before history was written.

Heck, i could go back just a couple weeks ago on this board and look up posters here that called Teasdale a "douche" after his tweet of Spencer Lee's loss. Now that Gavin is a Lion im sure he will be nothing but a choir boy here now. Crazy how things unfold sometimes

Lots of good stuff in the comments section:

-Iowa State was becoming a perennial wrestling powerhouse, and the move can only be seen as lateral, at best.

-There is nothing “lateral” about it. Mr. Sanderson is no fool. Do a little research and find out how many of the ten 2009 NCAA Div. 1 champions attended high school within no more than a four-drive from the Penn State campus. Then the light should go on. As a U. of I. alum, I can say this: Within three years or so, the Hawkeyes will be an also-ran behind Penn State in the Big Ten and nationally.

-I’m not buying that the northeast talent will want to stay close to home so badly that Penn State will all of a sudden become this massive wrestling powerhouse

-He won’t be able to get everyone he wants probably even if they agree to take very little scholarship coin (and if they’re studs, they’re not likely to do that when/if other schools are able to offer them more scholarship coin). I just don’t see how he’s going to be able to hoard all those guys.

Its easy to go back in time and find fault with things posted before history was written.

Heck, i could go back just a couple weeks ago on this board and look up posters here that called Teasdale a "douche" after his tweet of Spencer Lee's loss. Now that Gavin is a Lion im sure he will be nothing but a choir boy here now. Crazy how things unfold sometimes

True, but it's still fun to look back so many years to the reactions.

What the hell kind of insult is that?

Showing your true colors now aren't you.

Here's a shout out to jtothep for being spot on:

It’s true. PSU loses heaps of recruits every year to smaller PA schools like Edinboro, Clarion, Lock Haven, Lehigh. And no, those dudes do not want to go Ames to wrestle for Sanderson.

They will, however, quickly go to State College to wrestle for him.

giphy.gif

He *was* being a "douche". I hope his signing on with Cael was accompanied by an understanding that kind of thing could not recur. And, by the way, you saw the reaction here when Spyker urged everyone to tweet Teasdale to assure him what he did was okay.

And before you start with the Long nonsense, I had no problem with Cael giving the kid a second chance, with which he apparently did well until the offseason after his first year at State College. When he violated the terms of his second chance, he was gone. No problem there, either. People deserve second chances, not necessarily thirds.

The notion that Penn State fans are "Johnny come lately" is comical: There IS no fan base in America that understands wrestling more than Penn States. PSU fans are on a par with Iowa fans, and Oklahoma State fans, and ANY fans: They have grown up with the sport, as popular as it is in Pennsylvania, and as a state, knowing that Pennsylvania is the Mecca of high school wrestling.

Pennsylvania is the mecca of wrestling in general, not just scholastic wrestling. Pennsylvania has more DI programs than any other state by a wide margin, no? Look how many historic quality programs PA has - PSU, Lehigh, ASWP, Boro, Clarion, Lock Haven.... Pennsylvania has also provided many of WVU's and MD's best wrestlers.

. Yeah, we don't know anything about the sport yet every coach in the country is coming to our backyard to recruit our boys.

Pennsylvania is the mecca of wrestling in general, not just scholastic wrestling. Pennsylvania has more DI programs than any other state by a wide margin, no? Look how many historic quality programs PA has - PSU, Lehigh, ASWP, Boro, Clarion, Lock Haven.... Pennsylvania has also provided many of WVU's and MD's best wrestlers.

Take a look at this list of all-time WVU Wrestling All-Americans....too funny:

Honestly, I sometimes get embarrassed reading threads on HR. I was reading one yesterday and forgot I was even on their board because of all of our posters. We need to bear in mind that it is not our board, it is their board. We expect them to be respectful of us (yeah I know it doesn't always happen), but we need to be bigger than that, after all, we are on the top of the mountain now. Let's be gracious winners.

Honestly, I sometimes get embarrassed reading threads on HR. I was reading one yesterday and forgot I was even on their board because of all of our posters. We need to bear in mind that it is not our board, it is their board. We expect them to be respectful of us (yeah I know it doesn't always happen), but we need to be bigger than that, after all, we are on the top of the mountain now. Let's be gracious winners.

I 100% agree! We are very lucky to have these coaches and wrestlers to root for and should appreciate that with a sense of gratitude.

Wouldn't know about any of that as I've never posted on HR - nor have I ever felt the desire to; I have read their board on occassion depending on topic....it's their board, they're entitled to have whatever nonsensical, self-delusional discussions they want. They're fans can be quite delusional depending on topic - one of their most absurd topics is acting like Pennsylvania and PSU fans are "new to wrestling". I grew up in Pennsylvania and wrestled there in the 1970s - I wrestled with multiple guys who would win NCAA titles, make the U.S. National Team and wrestle in the Olympics. The notion that Pennsylvania wrestling fans are "Johnny come latelies" in regards to wrestling fandom or knowledge is about as asinine as their jokes about Cael's statement in 2009, that PSU would not win another title after 2014, etc... IOW, pure "brilliance" in the Guinness commercial sense...
Some of the posters on HR are real horses' azzes, no doubt. I got riled up when they criticized the way that the PA fans at States reacted to Spencer losing. Like everyone there couldn't be cheering for anything other than an Iowa recruit losing. You know, they are the center of the wrestling world and all wrestling events have to be seen through that lens. That's just fvcked up....

They think they know everything about wrestling everywhere when it's obvious they don't have a clue about PA and its wrestling history. But, I reacted here, not on their board. As dumb and arrogant as they act, they deserve to have their own board to say that crazy stuff without our fans jumping up their azzes.

Like you, I don't consider it my duty to go over there and call them on it. Penn State is the best and it's fans don't need to be going on the lesser teams' wrestling forums and reminding them about it in every related (and unrelated thread) on their board, Geez....we just need to show some class. Why all the insecurity? Why all the approval seeking? Isn't the team's accomplishments enough? Let them make fools of themselves, it just makes our winning all that much sweeter.

Ummmm.... Both boards are public boards. Nobody owns them. Not liking what someone says is no grounds for calling them names, etc.

I know people who have started, and paid for, their own boards so they don't have to deal with opinions they don't like. Of course, it starts to get incestuous and self-limiting after a while.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I 100% agree! We are very lucky to have these coaches and wrestlers to root for and should appreciate that with a sense of gratitude.

On one hand, yes, we are fortunate.

On the other hand, there are many of us who KNEW what could happen, what SHOULD have happened, at this program, with the right coach. We knew that we were a sleeping giant. Hell, the entire nation knew what would happen, IF, we got the right coach.

We got the right coach.

Ummmm.... Both boards are public boards. Nobody owns them.
I like what some of the boards in a lot of professional sports do. They have the forum for just their fans and then they have a forum for visiting fans. This way, the gentle and meek that can't take hearing opposing views and opinions can just stay put while the men talk sports.

I like what some of the boards in a lot of professional sports do. They have the forum for just their fans and then they have a forum for visiting fans. This way, the gentle and meek that can't take hearing opposing views and opinions can just stay put while the men talk sports.

But do they allow cliques to be formed?

Ummmm.... Both boards are public boards. Nobody owns them. Not liking what someone says is no grounds for calling them names, etc.

I know people who have started, and paid for, their own boards so they don't have to deal with opinions they don't like. Of course, it starts to get incestuous and self-limiting after a while.

When I use a public restroom, I go into the toilet stall and don't just crap in the middle of the floor. There is a certain amount of common courtesy and respect you show even on a "public" board.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by hassling them? Make yourself feel superior?

That's a good read. I'd like to see them do this again. I'm suspecting the state Iowa is no longer number 2 on their list. In fact, I'd be surprised if they are top 5. I'd venture to say the decline of Iowa Hawkeye wrestling can be somewhat attributed to the decline of talent coming out that state.

That's a good read. I'd like to see them do this again. I'm suspecting the state Iowa is no longer number 2 on their list. In fact, I'd be surprised if they are top 5. I'd venture to say the decline of Iowa Hawkeye wrestling can be somewhat attributed to the decline of talent coming out that state.

Just recently a HR poster showed a list of all of Iowas NC wrestlers. The list is dominated by Iowa HS athletes. Gable recruited nationally but his bread and butter was his home state kids. Kids that grew up with Gable on the brain. Kids that embraced the mentality gabled preached from a young age.

The brands NC teams were dominated by Iowa talent.

Since that last team title not so much. So your point is valid and would certainly make the pie chart of reasons they are once again without a team title in my mind.

When I use a public restroom, I go into the toilet stall and don't just crap in the middle of the floor. There is a certain amount of common courtesy and respect you show even on a "public" board.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by hassling them? Make yourself feel superior?

I don't think you are following. The wild overreaction to the expression of contrary opinions is the real problem on HR. You can be as respectful as you want. They do not tolerate dissent past a certain point. I don't post there anymore because it's an exercise in futility. It would be easy enough to do if I wanted. I don't.

we'll be working on his cussing, least i will

So in this "public bathroom"... PSU fans must use the shitter while Iowa fans can take a dump on your head if they feel like it?

Last edited:
Plus, you get banned over there without a word from the moderators. They don't contact you and say "this is a violation" and explain why. You're just banned. As I said, bully culture.

I think you're blaming their moderators for things that are outside of their control. I'm not at liberty to give a lot of details about the administrative side of the board software, so I'm somewhat limited in my ability to make my point. In short, most of the banning options available to moderators do not allow a message to be sent explaining what the person did wrong. As such, their actions are not an example of a bully culture; far from it.

Reactions: WildTurk
You want comedy? Check out the Black Heart Gold Pants archives from around that time. Here's a nice Chestnut from 2010:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.blac...29/1284010/welcome-back-cael-1-iowa-wrestling
Wow! I never read Black Heart Gold Pants, until about two years ago. I've never seen such an arrogant, condescending article in my life. It seems very foreign now, as all articles in the last two years are no where near this ridiculous. It appears they have substantially toned down their outrageous approach. Consistently losing to the guy they we're trying to savage, must be a decent come back to earth, reality check.

I'm in total agreement, Goldbanger. I'm embarrassed the few times I go to HR and see what some PSU wrestling fans post there (not all, but too many). It shows an attitude that makes PSU look bad, and certainly isn't what Cael and the team want PSU fans to be doing. But all teams have their negative fans that reflect badly on their schools. And all teams have their good fans, too. And the good fans far outnumber the bad ones!

Good Lord you are really understating the obvious.
If we went back and read all the silly shyt that was posted about Cael, Penn State, successes and failings. Wait a minute. We don't have to go back in time. We just need to read current HR posts. The only difference between then and now is the volume has dimished.

Good Lord you are really understating the obvious.
If we went back and read all the silly shyt that was posted about Cael, Penn State, successes and failings. Wait a minute. We don't have to go back in time. We just need to read current HR posts. The only difference between then and now is the volume has dimished.
It goes both ways doesn't it?

I'm in total agreement, Goldbanger. I'm embarrassed the few times I go to HR and see what some PSU wrestling fans post there (not all, but too many). It shows an attitude that makes PSU look bad, and certainly isn't what Cael and the team want PSU fans to be doing. But all teams have their negative fans that reflect badly on their schools. And all teams have their good fans, too. And the good fans far outnumber the bad ones!
Unfortunately tomsc, as in general society, the vast pragmatic majority are silent. The rude and loathsome are the loudest.

Reactions: tomsc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT