ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa board is comical.....

I think it was said tongue-in-cheek, based on some vocal minority on other forums. For me, Iowa is still a lofty standard to compare one's successes to, and I personally have tons of respect for their accomplishments. It's someone else's turn in the barrel, and the same vocal minority aren't dealing well.

At least you're not over on their board, trying to claim that Thomas Gilman "faded".

Where did you see that stated? Also i like your name. I only drink whole milk with the Red cap. I call it dieselmilk!

Just generally reading Iowa boards. Some claim our dynasty is killing wrestling, but ignore the decades when Iowa and OkSU were ratlling off non-stop championships.

Just generally reading Iowa boards. Some claim our dynasty is killing wrestling, but ignore the decades when Iowa and OkSU were ratlling off non-stop championships.

Are you claiming we have a dynasty? Some claim that 6 out of 7 championships is not a dynasty. I disagree, but I have actually heard that argument.

Wikipedia says we are...and since it's on the internet, it must be true...even if it's a year behind.

Collegiate wrestling[edit]
NCAA Division I[edit]
  • University of Iowa Hawkeyes have 23 total NCAA championships. The dynasty runs from 1975 to 1986 (11 NCAA championships in 12 years), from 1991 to 2000 (9 NCAA championships in 10 years) and three consecutive national championships from 2008–2010. Iowa also had a dynasty run of 25 straight BigTen conference tournament championships from 1974–1998.[15][42]
  • Oklahoma State University have 34 total NCAA championships in wrestling, most national championships in one sport by any school. Dynasty runs from 1928 to 1949 (16 NCAA championships in 21 years), from 1954 to 1964 (8 NCAA championships in 10 years) and four consecutive national championships from 2003–2006.[42]
  • Pennsylvania State University's Nittany Lions won four consecutive NCAA team championships from 2011 to 2014 and then won the Championship again in 2016 to make it five titles in six years. They were led by head coach Cael Sanderson, three-time champion Ed Ruth, and two time champion plus two-time Dan Hodge Trophy winner David Taylor.

Does anyone else find it interesting how assistant Ryan Morningstar is often referred to as THE recruiter for the Hawkeyes? Tom Brands and his brother are rarely mentioned. Obviously it's very important for assistants to be directly involved in the recruiting process. But it seems to me the lead man (i.e., the face of the program) should be thought of as the lead recruiter.

Is this another case of The Hawkeye Report turning myths into reality? Ryan Morningstar can't possibly be expected to win recruiting battles against legendary figures like Cael and John Smith.

Idk, I'm thinking the Brands brothers going into recruits' homes may turn a few parents off.....especially if Terry egged the kid on to throw him on the living room floor at the end of the visit. Better to send Mornigstar in as the face of the program..

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Don't worry. The new plan is:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/recruiting-its-just-an-iowa-thing.185554/

New plan.
Terry stays on as head coach at Iowa. Tom takes the Pitt job, builds up an elite class than returns to Iowa along with his elite recruits and takes over as HC and Terry as associate. (Post #9)

Another poster labeled it "Va Tech 2.0!!!!". (#14)

Nobody is objecting, which says to me that, despite the bs they post, they understand that Tom Brands destroyed the VT program and left it for dead - and they think it's funny. Cesspool of humanity over there.

It may not be stated, but it's a common theme. It's why I sometimes refer to the Midwestern Wrestling Mafia.

I'm just glad the flagship school in the heart of the high school wrestling talent honeypot finally got its act together in earnest in 2009.

PSU was pretty damn impressive under Rich Lorenzo as well (1979 - 1992) - he inherited a completely depleted team from Bill Koll and had the team back on track by the end of his 3rd year with the team finishing 6th at NCAAs with 3 AAs. During his 14 year tenure, PSU finished Top 10 at NCAAs 11 times, Top 5 at NCAAs 6 times, produced 53 AAs and 5 Individual Champions. He also left John Fritz (1993 - 1998) with a stacked team that finished 2nd at NCAAs in 1993, Fritz's first year (PSU finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 4th, 10th and 4th in Fritz's six year's as Head Coach producing 21 AAs and 4 Individual Champions).

It may not be stated, but it's a common theme. It's why I sometimes refer to the Midwestern Wrestling Mafia.

I'm just glad the flagship school in the heart of the high school wrestling talent honeypot finally got its act together in earnest in 2009.

PSU was pretty damn impressive under Rich Lorenzo as well (1979 - 1992) - he inherited a completely depleted team from Bill Koll and had the team back on track by the end of his 3rd year with the team finishing 6th at NCAAs with 3 AAs. During his 14 year tenure, PSU finished Top 10 at NCAAs 11 times, Top 5 at NCAAs 6 times, produced 53 AAs and 5 Individual Champions. He also left John Fritz (1993 - 1998) with a stacked team that finished 2nd at NCAAs in 1993, Fritz's first year (PSU finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 4th, 10th and 4th in Fritz's six year's as Head Coach producing 21 AAs and 4 Individual Champions).

Not the Nationally-Dominant Dynasty that Cael has built similar to what Dr. Nichols did at ISU or the good Dr's protege, Gable, did at Iowa, but still pretty impressive results consistent with PSU's pedigree as a Top 5 historic wrestling power. It wasn't until TS that the wheels completely fell off and PSU went into a prolonged hiatus of top 5 finishes at NCAAs (PSU only recorded two Top 5 finishes during the 11 year span, 1999 - 2009). PSU was a pretty consistent Top 5 team under Lorenzo and Fritz finishing in the Top 5 11 of the 20 years (1979 - 1998) the two were at the helm.

Some of us could probably stop clutttering their board with stuff, though. Like, I kinda get their beef. The Guillotine was in a similar fashion after they dropped a natty title they thought they could win, and they were right. I despise the whole "Cael is a bad human" BS, but at some point we just gotta let people talk and move on. There's lots to be positive about for PSU, currently. We should probably just ride that wave on here.

I'm just as guilty as the next party. The G is upset with me, too. And I have no business telling people what to do. That isn't my intention. I just think it looks poorly and in bad taste. Maybe I'm just attempting maturity and it'll leave in a few minutes, but I get their perspective.

Some of us could probably stop clutttering their board with stuff, though. Like, I kinda get their beef. The Guillotine was in a similar fashion after they dropped a natty title they thought they could win, and they were right. I despise the whole "Cael is a bad human" BS, but at some point we just gotta let people talk and move on. There's lots to be positive about for PSU, currently. We should probably just ride that wave on here.

I'm just as guilty as the next party. The G is upset with me, too. And I have no business telling people what to do. That isn't my intention. I just think it looks poorly and in bad taste. Maybe I'm just attempting maturity and it'll leave in a few minutes, but I get their perspective.

It's bully culture there. If there is pushback to any of the ridiculous stuff they spin, they go ballistic. It's better to be banned from HR. If you pay homage to how great Iowa used to be, they will tolerate your existence. On the other hand, maybe they shouldn't have a third to a half of their new topics being about Penn State if they don't want attention from Penn State fans. It's become pathological.

Good post.

It's bully culture there. If there is pushback to any of the ridiculous stuff they spin, they go ballistic. It's better to be banned from HR. If you pay homage to how great Iowa used to be, they will tolerate your existence. On the other hand, maybe they shouldn't have a third to a half of their new topics being about Penn State if they don't want attention from Penn State fans. It's become pathological.
No offense, but have you ever considered that maybe you're part of the problem there? If you go there to talk wrestling, they'll talk wrestling all day long. If you go there to smack, they'll smack all day long. Visitor attitude has everything to do with the outcome of the experience.

No offense, but have you ever considered that maybe you're part of the problem there? If you go there to talk wrestling, they'll talk wrestling all day long. If you go there to smack, they'll smack all day long. Visitor attitude has everything to do with the outcome of the experience.
Amen. Matter7172 is one of the worst. Pathetic all around.

I am in my 50s. Maturity is overrated.
On HR, as a rule. If you attempt to talk wrestling you get bitch slapped. If you attempt to talk wrestling without agreeing with the general consensus you get bitch slapped more so.

I admit it takes very little of the stupid shyt about Cael, Penn State or "everybody wrestling Iowa stalls" to make my remarks turn smart alec.

Try to follow 2 rules. Do not speak disparagingly about any Iowa athletes, nor the staff.

Reactions: hlstone
It appears that we have a lot of Charlie Brown's among us. No matter how many times Lucy pulls the football away, or that tree eats your kite you keep going back. Masochistic or moronic?

It appears that we have a lot of Charlie Brown's among us. No matter how many times Lucy pulls the football away, or that tree eats your kite you keep going back. Masochistic or moronic?
No, going in knowing what you are going to get and participating is part of the fun.

I'll agree with most of what you're saying but it's tough to do. When you give your opinion over there or make predictions that they don't like they call you ignorant and get a big laugh together at your expense. I'm talking about their more reputable members there as well. They all do it.

So when the season is over, and it's proven that what you said wasn't so stupid after all, it's awefully tough to not go back and get a chuckle at their expense. When you do, they call you a troll. I guess they'd rather do that then admit they didn't know what they were talking about.

Nobody likes a sore winner. We have some "fans" who probably just learned to spell wrestling who delight in going over to HR and dancing on their grave when we win. I understand HR member frustration and don't blame them for taking a blowtorch to those posters. We would do the same thing if it was happening to us.

#getsomeclass

I'll agree with most of what you're saying but it's tough to do. When you give your opinion over there or make predictions that they don't like they call you ignorant and get a big laugh together at your expense. I'm talking about their more reputable members there as well. They all do it.

So when the season is over, and it's proven that what you said wasn't so stupid after all, it's awfully tough to not go back and get a chuckle at their expense. When you do, they call you a troll. I guess they'd rather do that then admit they didn't know what they were talking about.

You get called troll at step one if you say something they don't agree with. You're told you are a person who knows nothing about wrestling. And then the juvenile name-calling and piling on follows. And then if you don't apologize or go running away, the Sandusky stuff starts. It's a totally predictable pattern.

And you what never gets done? Someone posting something substantive about what you posted initially. It's all personal attacks and name-calling.

Check out threads after Teasdale and Lee committed sometime. I questioned how they thought Iowa was going to keep all four of Teasdale, Lee, Meija and Renteria (reminding them that they were verbal commitments only and that any or all of the four). Nevermind they had several other recruits besides at that weight or right around it. Their answer was that the magical growth pattern would occur (forgetting about Happel, etc.). Teasdale was written in at 149 because he was already bigger than Lee, etc. It was all bs, but god forbid you call it bs. And, of course, they wound up with one of the four. And Teasdale is now a lifetime 125.

Plus, you get banned over there without a word from the moderators. They don't contact you and say "this is a violation" and explain why. You're just banned. As I said, bully culture. Facts contrary to what they believe are viewed like witches in Salem. And, as a board, they can't admit they were wrong. So when their latest insane position if taken, you are absolutely not allowed to remind them all their many ludicrous positions taken previously failed.

It's not a matter of being a sore winner, either, all this stuff goes on during "down times". It's a board that can't discuss things intelligently. It turns to name-calling and personal attacks at the drop of a hat. People can try to excuse it and rationalize it all they like.

Try posting something like this in a month on HR in yet another, whether veiled or direct, discussion "coaching vs. recruiting" is started. It has, indisputably, nothing but facts in it:

Of all top 10 recruits between 2011 and 2016, PSU's % of All-Americans to Opportunities (Opportunity is defined as a non-RS year wrestled.) is 78%. PSU's% of Champions to Opportunities is 30%.

The rest of the field is at 38% AA to Opportunity, and 8% Champs to Opportunity. In other words, when another team gets a top ten recruit, they are 50% as likely to reach AA and 26% as likely to be a champ, as a Penn State top ten recruit is.

Last edited:
21guns may have gotten banned yesterday. He got into a major pizzing match with another PSU fan on their board. It was quite the dumpster fire. I'm sure their fans were thrilled with that one, lol.

I think 21guns got banned yesterday. He got into a major pizzing match with another PSU fan on their board. It was quite the dumpster fire. I'm sure their fans were thrilled with that one, lol.
At least they got to hear him run down most of us and the folks that run BWI before he got the boot. A little enjoyment during a not so satisfying week....

One thing's for sure -- the Iowa fan bases tune has changed since 4/17/2009. They sure were chuckling, laughing and making fun of Cael Sanderson in April 2009 because he dared to say that he was leaving Iowa State (his alma mater) because PSU and Pennsylvania Wrestling would give him unique advantages, that he didn't have at ISU, which would allow him to win National Championships and build an unassailable dynasty. Iowa, and coach Brands, had just won the National Championship in March 2009 - their 2nd straight. Iowa would also win in 2010. Iowa's fans were quite vocal regarding Cael Sanderson's statements in April 2009 and yukked it up with each frequently for the remainder of 2009 and 2010....they aren't laughing any more, are they??? He who laughs last, laughs bests. The Iowa fans have routinely made fools of themselves - I especially laugh at all the "wrestling savants" over there who told us how PSU would never win another Championship once The Magic Man and The Truth graduated in 2014.... As the Guinness goes, "BRILLIANT!!!":

Nobody likes a sore winner. We have some "fans" who probably just learned to spell wrestling who delight in going over to HR and dancing on their grave when we win. I understand HR member frustration and don't blame them for taking a blowtorch to those posters. We would do the same thing if it was happening to us.

#getsomeclass
I'm reading other posts here about how terrible the HR board is. The posters there call Penn State posters names and denigrate their knowledge of wrestling and laugh at them. So what? We have the best team in college wrestling by far and that speaks for itself. There's no need for this other stuff as if Iowa fans don't admit that, it somehow isn't true. That's silly.

Also, why is it that these people complaining about the HR board are so hurt about being banned from there? Why is it they beg to be let back on that board? Why is it so important to them to show the HR posters there how wrong they are about everything they say about Penn State? Anyone confident and proud about their team doesn't need to prove anything to anybody.

I'd say to our posters, HR is their board, so let them be as stupid and bias as they want when they post there. Do the Penn State posters who go there really think they will show those posters the error of their ways and have them admit that Penn State is a better program? That's just not going to happen. They are loyal fans of the Hawkeyes, for crap sake, and going over there and ramming Penn State topics down their throats is just childish. Sorry.

You get called troll at step one if you say something they don't agree with. You're told you are a person who knows nothing about wrestling. And then the juvenile name-calling and piling on follows. And then if you don't apologize or go running away, the Sandusky stuff starts. It's a totally predictable pattern.

And you what never gets done? Someone posting something substantive about what you posted initially. It's all personal attacks and name-calling.

Check out threads after Teasdale and Lee committed sometime. I questioned how they thought Iowa was going to keep all four of Teasdale, Lee, Meija and Renteria (reminding them that they were verbal commitments only and that any or all of the four). Nevermind they had several other recruits besides at that weight or right around it. Their answer was that the magical growth pattern would occur (forgetting about Happel, etc.). Teasdale was written in at 149 because he was already bigger than Lee, etc. It was all bs, but god forbid you call it bs. And, of course, they wound up with one of the four. And Teasdale is now a lifetime 125.

Plus, you get banned over there without a word from the moderators. They don't contact you and say "this is a violation" and explain why. You're just banned. As I said, bully culture. Facts contrary to what they believe are viewed like witches in Salem. And, as a board, they can't admit they were wrong. So when their latest insane position if taken, you are absolutely not allowed to remind them all their many ludicrous positions taken previously failed.

It's not a matter of being a sore winner, either, all this stuff goes on during "down times". It's a board that can't discuss things intelligently. It turns to name-calling and personal attacks at the drop of a hat. People can try to excuse it and rationalize it all they like.

Try posting something like this in a month on HR in yet another, whether veiled or direct, discussion "coaching vs. recruiting" is started. It has, indisputably, nothing but facts in it:

Of all top 10 recruits between 2011 and 2016, PSU's % of All-Americans to Opportunities (Opportunity is defined as a non-RS year wrestled.) is 78%. PSU's% of Champions to Opportunities is 30%.

The rest of the field is at 38% AA to Opportunity, and 8% Champs to Opportunity. In other words, when another team gets a top ten recruit, they are 50% as likely to reach AA and 26% as likely to be a champ, as a Penn State top ten recruit is.
You quoted me but I'm telling you you're preaching to choir. I know exactly how things go down over there and the way you laid it out is truth.

I think the key to longevity there is to pick your spots and hope they remember. By that I mean, know when to kiss ass, apologize, compliment the team, staff, fans or do whatever you have to do to stay around longer....and do it enough that they realize and remember you're not as bad as you seemed while you were expressing opinions they don't agree with. I thing AZChief has mastered this here btw. I like what pennstate1985 did. He started a thread asking the mods to ban all the PSU trolls. That's some grade A ass kissing if you ask me. I should have thought of that...

You quoted me but I'm telling you you're preaching to choir. I know exactly how things go down over there and the way you laid it out is truth.

I think the key to longevity there is to pick your spots and hope they remember. By that I mean, know when to kiss ass, apologize, compliment the team, staff, fans or do whatever you have to do to stay around longer....and do it enough that they realize and remember you're not as bad as you seemed while you were expressing opinions they don't agree with. I thing AZChief has mastered this here btw. I like what pennstate1985 did. He started a thread asking the mods to ban all the PSU trolls. That's some grade A ass kissing if you ask me. I should have thought of that...

He went over there begging for a ban hammer because he can't handle his business here. Or anywhere else.

Pennstate1985 is a respectable poster. He doesn't always agree with Hawk fans and thats okay. When he has a rebuttal he doesn't push it too far and knows when to ease up. It's that simple really.

Also, why is it that these people complaining about the HR board are so hurt about being banned from there?

I'm not complaining. When they started with Sandusky stuff again there recently, I no longer gave a shit about being there - because anyone who does that (raising Sandusky), and they don't get called on it by Iowa fans on HR, they get a bunch of giggles when they do it, is someone I don't want to be around. They could apologize and admit they were wrong about the 125 verbal commitments. But they can do it here. They won't though. They like to be arrogant and cocksure and then ignore what they said earlier when it blows up in their faces. And follow that by concocting some other utterly ridiculous position that will ultimately blow up in their faces. And repeat.

Pennstate1985 is a respectable poster. He doesn't always agree with Hawk fans and thats okay. When he has a rebuttal he doesn't push it too far and knows when to ease up. It's that simple really.
No he's not, and neither are you.

It's that simple really.

Well, there you go. Just shut up when they tell you to and everything is cool. :rolleyes: What kind of paternalistic crap are you trying to push?

And you should thank me that, even though you called me "pathetic" (HR habits die hard, don't they? Personal attacks and insults are much more fun than logical arguments), I didn't call you out for misusing "respectable" when you apparently meant "respectful". I didn't call you ignorant, either.

Last edited:

Thanks for the stats. Even with how well Penn State was doing under Lorenzo, it really puts into perspective the level Cael has put the program at with 5 champions in one season vs 5 in 13 seasons with Lorenzo.

Reactions: diggerpup
Well, there you go. Just shut up when they tell you to and everything is cool. :rolleyes: What kind of paternalistic crap are you trying to push?
He doesn't have to shut up if he doesn't cross the line. He is smart enough to know that.

Thanks for the stats. Even with how well Penn State was doing under Lorenzo, it really puts into perspective the level Cael has put the program at with 5 champions in one season vs 5 in 13 seasons with Lorenzo.

It shows that Penn State, was indeed, the sleeping giant that everyone knew it was.

He doesn't have to shut up if he doesn't cross the line. He is smart enough to know that.

Now you are just being stupid (see, I got the passive-aggressive nature of your comment). There is no line to cross in debating a point, unless you start doing personal attacks or flaming. That is, of course, if you are not debating someone who knows they are wrong and wants stop the discussion because they know they are wrong.

One thing's for sure -- the Iowa fan bases tune has changed since 4/17/2009. They sure were chuckling, laughing and making fun of Cael Sanderson in April 2009 because he dared to say that he was leaving Iowa State (his alma mater) because PSU and Pennsylvania Wrestling would give him unique advantages, that he didn't have at ISU, which would allow him to win National Championships and build an unassailable dynasty. Iowa, and coach Brands, had just won the National Championship in March 2009 - their 2nd straight. Iowa would also win in 2010. Iowa's fans were quite vocal regarding Cael Sanderson's statements in April 2009 and yukked it up with each frequently for the remainder of 2009 and 2010....they aren't laughing any more, are they??? He who laughs last, laughs bests. The Iowa fans have routinely made fools of themselves - I especially laugh at all the "wrestling savants" over there who told us how PSU would never win another Championship once The Magic Man and The Truth graduated in 2014.... As the Guinness goes, "BRILLIANT!!!":

You want comedy? Check out the Black Heart Gold Pants archives from around that time. Here's a nice Chestnut from 2010:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.blac...29/1284010/welcome-back-cael-1-iowa-wrestling

"There is nothing “lateral” about it. Mr. Sanderson is no fool. Do a little research and find out how many of the ten 2009 NCAA Div. 1 champions attended high school within no more than a four-drive from the Penn State campus. Then the light should go on. As a U. of I. alum, I can say this: Within three years or so, the Hawkeyes will be an also-ran behind Penn State in the Big Ten and nationally. Mr. Sanderson is going to cash in big with the high school wrestlers in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Virginia, and that is all it is going to take to dominate college wrestling for years going forward. It is going to look like Dan Gable started over and became a Penn Stater. It wish it were not so, but—as Walter might have said—that’s the way it is." - Whitehall, April 20, 2009

Check THIS out...hmmmm, wonder who posted this?

There is nothing “lateral” about it. Mr. Sanderson is no fool. Do a little research and find out how many of the ten 2009 NCAA Div. 1 champions attended high school within no more than a four-drive from the Penn State campus. Then the light should go on. As a U. of I. alum, I can say this: Within three years or so, the Hawkeyes will be an also-ran behind Penn State in the Big Ten and nationally. Mr. Sanderson is going to cash in big with the high school wrestlers in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Virginia, and that is all it is going to take to dominate college wrestling for years going forward. It is going to look like Dan Gable started over and became a Penn Stater. It wish it were not so, but—as Walter might have said—that’s the way it is.

by Whitehall on Apr 20, 2009 | 4:20 PM up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT