ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32

Agree 1000% on this. Faith Academy is slightly under the radar but from what I seen and heard, they are mccort on roids. They told people they were told nothing will happen to them if kids move in during the summer before 9th grade. They brought in 25 kids and 15 are nationally/top pa wrestlers.
Everyone is caught up on Mcort and this storm is brewing in the East. Bethlehem and ND has been doing the same for a decade.
For the PIAA to sit out Gibson his final years is a loss for them and us, the fans. Not to mention the kids who are in his weight and win titles knowing they should of wrestled him. Then add Forest and Bassett the PIAA is really missing out. These two won world medals and have to sit out Hershey, because they did exactly what Desmond, Parkins, McKay, Harer, Rath, Wyatt Henson, etc etc etc did.
But they don't HAVE to sit out.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Water down the championships is your bright idea. That’ll really bring the studs back!

Kids move, every year. Was your HS team exactly the same all four years? Did any kids move in from other schools? It happens, people move all the time. Is Joe Blow (3-22) from this school going to raise eyebrows cuz he moved to a different district between freshman and sophomore year? I doubt it.

How can you expect EVERY school that has a kid move in automatically be put in with these powerhouses?

It sounds like a great plan, but would not work.
I wouldn't make it every school that has a transfer. Only the publics where the complaint is made, the hearing has occurred and the transfer is deemed to be for athletic reasons.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make it every school that has a transfer. Only the publics where the complaint is made, the hearing has occurred and the transfer is deemed to be for athletic reasons.
In that case, THAT KID would be prohibited from postseason anyway. Wouldnt affect the team, right?

Something deeper occured at McCort, punishing an entire team isnt the norm, is it?

I think the sending school really pushed it. Their once in a lifetime team transferred out one by one. Forrest Hills has been at state duals a bunch. I think we (Benton) wrestled them twice down there. When 30 plus kids leave a school, I think something must be going on there too. I might be wrong but aren’t most private schools 15K a year to attend. To leave a free, public school that makes Hershey for duals to attend a terrible program, there is more to this soap opera

Reactions: lookleft goright
In that case, THAT KID would be prohibited from postseason anyway. Wouldnt affect the team, right?

Something deeper occured at McCort, punishing an entire team isnt the norm, is it?
McCort did not do anything Beth Catholic doesn't do every single year. The scale was larger, but that would be due to BECA having recruited for a longer period of time and McCort getting up to speed quickly.

The difference would be Forest Hills as a school losing student-athletes officially protested to District 6 that the moves were athletically motivated. More than 1 or 2 District 6 AA coaches pushed those District 6 committee members to hammer McCort and the District 6 committee did. Then the PIAA upheld the shitshow. In District 11, either nobody officially registers a complaint or no complaints are given much consideration.

Reactions: goldenanimal
McCort did not do anything Beth Catholic doesn't do every single year. The scale was larger, but that would be due to BECA having recruited for a longer period of time and McCort getting up to speed quickly.

The difference would be Forest Hills as a school losing student-athletes officially protested to District 6 that the moves were athletically motivated. More than 1 or 2 District 6 AA coaches pushed those District 6 committee members to hammer McCort and the District 6 committee did. Then the PIAA upheld the shitshow. In District 11, either nobody officially registers a complaint or no complaints are given much consideration.
But why were ALL the athletes punished? Imagine being a senior McCort kid who has been rightfully attending for 3 years,THEN a bunch of transfers come in and surely threaten to take your roster spot THEN the whole team is banned from postseason because of something a few INDIVIDUALS concocted.

Has there been other instances of entire teams being banned from postseason?

But why were ALL the athletes punished? Imagine being a senior McCort kid who has been rightfully attending for 3 years,THEN a bunch of transfers come in and surely threaten to take your roster spot THEN the whole team is banned from postseason because of something a few INDIVIDUALS concocted.

They could have transferred to any of 6 area Johnstown schools. They chose not to and that's their decision.

What Willie said, plus: who gets to define "full high school career" -- the kids and their families, or some message board dudes?

In any case:
- Forrest (NC) and Herring (TN) transferred to McCort from out of state while in junior high. PIAA titles were likely not a factor in their transfer decisions.
- After the racial incident at Forest Hills, the Bassetts and Gibsons (who are cousins) were transferring regardless. Going to another PIAA non-Catholic school would've meant both families selling their houses and moving. Unrealistic.
- Especially when they could be coached by family (Bill Bassett) without moving.
- And when that family was previously their junior high coach.
- The Gibsons (and maybe the Bassetts?) considered Seminary and Blair, which also would've meant giving up PIAA titles.
What the PIAA does not realize is they don’t hold the trump card, the athlete does. The PIAA better with these athletes participating and while the kids were trying to aggregate together they weren’t doing it to win PIAA team titles. They were doing it to get individually better and a by product is team titles.

You can’t regulate an unregulated body of individuals. Just let it be a free for all similar to the college landscape. It’s a little chaotic and disruptive but the pieces will return and a new normal will be set.

The PIAA should be more worried about the Philly Catholic schools than Johnstown wrestling.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsn4388
why were ALL the athletes punished?
Possible answers are:
  1. They were punishing the school for its systematic blatant recurring disregard after prior warnings. They weren't punishing the wrestlers. The wrestlers were collateral damage.
  2. The PIAA are a bunch of ignorant bureaucrats, so they still don't realize that they punished the wrestlers.
  3. Cronyism, rascalism, and nepotism are rampant in the PIAA. Some of the PIAA decisions makers were beholden to the complaining school (a favor was owed).
  4. Stupid people blindly enforcing a stupid rule. Some innocent are bound to get caught up in the enforcement.
(Select all that apply.)

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE

The PIAA says, "that's what we do." To correctly punish adults hammer the shit out of the kids.

IMO, the D6 AA coaches who pushed for a death blow are to blame as much as anybody.

Reactions: BrockBronson
What the PIAA does not realize is they don’t hold the trump card, the athlete does. The PIAA better with these athletes participating and while the kids were trying to aggregate together they weren’t doing it to win PIAA team titles. They were doing it to get individually better and a by product is team titles.

You can’t regulate an unregulated body of individuals. Just let it be a free for all similar to the college landscape. It’s a little chaotic and disruptive but the pieces will return and a new normal will be set.

The PIAA should be more worried about the Philly Catholic schools than Johnstown wrestling.
I agree with this last statement. This Mcort thing will soon be a thing of the past once the wrestling world figures on what is going on out towards Philly. They make Mcort look like a JV team.

The PIAA says, "that's what we do." To correctly punish adults hammer the shit out of the kids.

IMO, the D6 AA coaches who pushed for a death blow are to blame as much as anybody.
These coaches are probably the same ones who are seasonal coaches, would rather get teams & wrestlers in trouble,,,, rather than welcoming the challenge and working hard.
I don’t know but bet the Mcort wrestlers probably are stopping their wrestlers or in some cases their sons from winning at Districts, regionals or states. Their thinking, if we eliminate these individuals finally my son might have a chance to win something.
Wrestling is an individual sport,,,,,, kids should of not lost eligibility. The schools should be punished, at admin should be punished, and the coaches should be punished.

These coaches are probably the same ones who are seasonal coaches, would rather get teams & wrestlers in trouble,,,, rather than welcoming the challenge and working hard.
I don’t know but bet the Mcort wrestlers probably are stopping their wrestlers or in some cases their sons from winning at Districts, regionals or states. Their thinking, if we eliminate these individuals finally my son might have a chance to win something.
Wrestling is an individual sport,,,,,, kids should of not lost eligibility. The schools should be punished, at admin should be punished, and the coaches should be punished.
I guarantee several of these coaches are not seasonal. They have been successful, qualifying multiple teams for state dual championships at Hershey and multiple individual state champions.

Reactions: Goathead88
I guarantee several of these coaches are not seasonal. They have been successful, qualifying multiple teams for state dual championships at Hershey and multiple individual state champions.
Agree with them or not, the reasons for the McCort discipline have been documented and discussed ad nauseum.

That doesn't stop people from imagining other reasons.

Reactions: Goathead88
Does anyone know if Josh Barr is going to Super32? He isn’t listed in FLO’s list of ranked participants but I’m pretty sure Willie said that he was going. Anyone know for sure?

Does anyone know if Josh Barr is going to Super32? He isn’t listed in FLO’s list of ranked participants but I’m pretty sure Willie said that he was going. Anyone know for sure?

i thought he said barr was dinged up in the most recent TFW, but i was half paying attention

Reactions: zzs006
Our sport is getting crazier by the second, Willie seeded and posted the 8U seeds for super 32. Please tell me they don’t do rankings for 8U. Who remembers the good old days when this sport was simple and less dramatic

Our sport is getting crazier by the second, Willie seeded and posted the 8U seeds for super 32. Please tell me they don’t do rankings for 8U. Who remembers the good old days when this sport was simple and less dramatic
randy-g-pep-farm.gif

Wrestling is a lot simpler and less dramatic when you aren't obsessed with how certain high schools do and do not procure talent.

Central PA problems! Go Archery or watch Super 32 this weekend.
Lots of PA kids are going down. FLO said PA has the most.
My picks for Belts
Jax Forest,Rune Lawerance and Rocco Welsh

My picks to make Finals
Mac Church,Vinny Kilkreay, Dalton Perry and Bo Bassett

placers
Manville
Harer
Botero
Rath
Desmond
Gibson
Dillard
Bouzakis
Seidel
Watters
Shaw
Evanitsky
Gaj
Waters
Outside shot
Christie
Kunstek
Taylor
Mckay
Nasedo
Cunningham

My picks for Belts

My picks to make Finals

placers
Manville
Harer
Botero
Rath
Desmond
Gibson
Dillard
Bouzakis
Seidel
Watters
Shaw
Evanitsky
Gaj
Waters
Outside shot
Christie
Kunstek
Taylor
Mckay
Nasedo
Cunningham

Get in the woods. The barometric pressure is up all weekend.

i thought he said barr was dinged up in the most recent TFW, but i was half paying attention
Yep. Per Willie several big names are out with recent injuries, and Barr is one of them. Bummer.

I am pretty sure Barr has a broken nose requiring surgery. Took a knee durning a single leg attempt.

• Sad
Reactions: Ja1339
My picks for Belts

My picks to make Finals

placers
Manville
Harer
Botero
Rath
Desmond
Gibson
Dillard
Bouzakis
Seidel
Watters
Shaw
Evanitsky
Gaj
Waters
Outside shot
Christie
Kunstek
Taylor
Mckay
Nasedo
Cunningham
I definitely don’t think Lawrence wins. He’s good but I think Sinclair wins that weight. 120 is the most interesting and deepest weight in my mind. I think Jax wins but beating Lilledahl, Blaze, Orine, and Raney in 1 tournament is crazy. Not sure that is exactly his path but I listened to FRL and I think that’s what they said. I’m also really hoping to see Knox-Bassett 2. I’m hoping Bassett makes some adjustments on bottom and we see a great match. 3rd favorite is Ryder Block vs PJ Duke. I see Duke winning and cementing himself as one of the top young recruits. I can’t wait to watch some incredible wrestling

Reactions: BrockBronson
I definitely don’t think Lawrence wins. He’s good but I think Sinclair wins that weight. 120 is the most interesting and deepest weight in my mind. I think Jax wins but beating Lilledahl, Blaze, Orine, and Raney in 1 tournament is crazy. Not sure that is exactly his path but I listened to FRL and I think that’s what they said. I’m also really hoping to see Knox-Bassett 2. I’m hoping Bassett makes some adjustments on bottom and we see a great match. 3rd favorite is Ryder Block vs PJ Duke. I see Duke winning
Mad respect for Forest. He puts it on the line and not scared of competition. It seems like now a days, ranked kids are scared to lose.

Some kids this preseason grinded hard and will be battled ready. It seems like the prep and stupid private schools grind all preseason. Benton used to back in the hay day.

I agree PJ Duke could win it and become a top five p4p. I think Bassett beats knox, well at least I want him too. FLO was posting about Knox shining his belts. The boy and FLO doesn’t understand that image isn’t what people like and college are after. Who wants the next version of Ferrari?

I wish Barr could get the rubber match when Welsh.

brackets are packed from 106-132 and then it drops off. Why does every one think that happens.
I am excited to watch Marsteller’s kids this weekend. I think his club soon takes over PA and then eventually the country. Those robes are fire-

Mad respect for Forest. He puts it on the line and not scared of competition. It seems like now a days, ranked kids are scared to lose.

Some kids this preseason grinded hard and will be battled ready. It seems like the prep and stupid private schools grind all preseason. Benton used to back in the hay day.

I agree PJ Duke could win it and become a top five p4p. I think Bassett beats knox, well at least I want him too. FLO was posting about Knox shining his belts. The boy and FLO doesn’t understand that image isn’t what people like and college are after. Who wants the next version of Ferrari?

brackets are packed from 106-132 and then it drops off. Why does every one think that happens.
I am excited to watch Marsteller’s kids this weekend. I think his club soon takes over PA and then eventually the country. Those robes are fire-
I think the main reason it happens is football and other sports in general. Smaller guys can thrive in wrestling while not having much of a chance in football or a lot of other sports. It’s football season now and in rural communities it seems like a lot of kids play multiple sports. I am from a small town and wrestled 134 my senior season and wasn’t a good football player at all but in a school of a few hundred kids every body was needed and I actually started on the defensive side of the ball somehow. Anyways, most kids under 132 like you posted probably aren’t doing many other sports outside of wrestling. Above that many probably are

Take over the country? Im no PA wrestling know-it-all but I will say I never even knew Mars had a program.
You honestly think he will overtake M2?

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT