mrh1645

Feb 11, 2014
Super 32 , October 15-16, 2022.

Willie has started posting the seeds. From a PSU recruit perspective

120 - Nasdeo (not seeded)
126 - B. Davis (6th seed), behind Jesuroga, Davino, Gibson, Horwath, Valencia
132 - D. Perry (seeds not posted yet)
170 - J. Barr (seeds not posted yet)

It does not appear that Kasak, Ryder, Fricchone, or Wentzel are entered.

Interesting that Jax Forrest is competing at 120 for this while Jesuroga is at 126.

I recently "heard" that Forrest was much bigger, probably two weight classes bigger, at WNO. Jesuroga must have had a growth spurt. ;)
This surprised me as well. Thought for sure Jax would move up, in turn leaving Herring to represent McCort at 120 instead of both of them.

Reactions: Skoal117
Sorry but I just don't get it. These kids are giving up a PIAA championship out of loyalty to a coach. He might be a great guy, maybe he is, but don't you want your kids to have a full high school career? Again I am NOT knocking the coach/dad. I don't know the circumstances or why they are on probation and even so those reasons do not define him as a man...but...

i've been rolling them out as i was getting them done. 106 to 138 are posted and i figured i'll just post one a day for a bit. they will get continually tweaked. especially after Journeymen.

Kasak and Fricchione are not going to S32. Barr is.

Sorry but I just don't get it. These kids are giving up a PIAA championship out of loyalty to a coach. He might be a great guy, maybe he is, but don't you want your kids to have a full high school career? Again I am NOT knocking the coach/dad. I don't know the circumstances or why they are on probation and even so those reasons do not define him as a man...but...
the short answer is 'state titles don't mean what they used to'

Forrest and Bo won World Medals before entering HS. Gibson won S32 two months in to his 8th grade year. they don't need to win medals in hershey to prove legitimacy.

frankly, not wrestling in pa's postseason (the latest of any state) will give them a jump on training for World Team Trials.

What Willie said, plus: who gets to define "full high school career" -- the kids and their families, or some message board dudes?

In any case:
- Forrest (NC) and Herring (TN) transferred to McCort from out of state while in junior high. PIAA titles were likely not a factor in their transfer decisions.
- After the racial incident at Forest Hills, the Bassetts and Gibsons (who are cousins) were transferring regardless. Going to another PIAA non-Catholic school would've meant both families selling their houses and moving. Unrealistic.
- Especially when they could be coached by family (Bill Bassett) without moving.
- And when that family was previously their junior high coach.
- The Gibsons (and maybe the Bassetts?) considered Seminary and Blair, which also would've meant giving up PIAA titles.

What Willie said, plus: who gets to define "full high school career" -- the kids and their families, or some message board dudes?

In any case:
- Forrest (NC) and Herring (TN) transferred to McCort from out of state while in junior high. PIAA titles were likely not a factor in their transfer decisions.
- After the racial incident at Forest Hills, the Bassetts and Gibsons (who are cousins) were transferring regardless. Going to another PIAA non-Catholic school would've meant both families selling their houses and moving. Unrealistic.
- Especially when they could be coached by family (Bill Bassett) without moving.
- And when that family was previously their junior high coach.
- The Gibsons (and maybe the Bassetts?) considered Seminary and Blair, which also would've meant giving up PIAA titles.
The whole McCort is bad while Beth Catholic, Faith Academy and others are simply misunderstood good guys, and McCort shall be punished still pisses me off. The 2 subsets of the wrestling population that are being punished are the student-athletes and to a much lesser degree wrestling fans.

The whole McCort is bad while Beth Catholic, Faith Academy and others are simply misunderstood good guys, and McCort shall be punished still pisses me off. The 2 subsets of the wrestling population that are being punished are the student-athletes and to a much lesser degree wrestling fans.
Luckily we have a thread to serve as an outlet for such frustration.

Agree 1000% on this. Faith Academy is slightly under the radar but from what I seen and heard, they are mccort on roids. They told people they were told nothing will happen to them if kids move in during the summer before 9th grade. They brought in 25 kids and 15 are nationally/top pa wrestlers.
Everyone is caught up on Mcort and this storm is brewing in the East. Bethlehem and ND has been doing the same for a decade.
For the PIAA to sit out Gibson his final years is a loss for them and us, the fans. Not to mention the kids who are in his weight and win titles knowing they should of wrestled him. Then add Forest and Bassett the PIAA is really missing out. These two won world medals and have to sit out Hershey, because they did exactly what Desmond, Parkins, McKay, Harer, Rath, Wyatt Henson, etc etc etc did.

the short answer is 'state titles don't mean what they used to'

Forrest and Bo won World Medals before entering HS. Gibson won S32 two months in to his 8th grade year. they don't need to win medals in hershey to prove legitimacy.

frankly, not wrestling in pa's postseason (the latest of any state) will give them a jump on training for World Team Trials.
PIAA means nothing to the elite guys. They wrestle ten events per year that is ten times tougher and more recruited than PIAA.
I agree Herring & Forest didn’t move to PA to wrestle in Hershey. I assume they came for other partners like themselves and PA is a hotbed for wrestling and Catholic education.

My response fit with your post.

i've been rolling them out as i was getting them done. 106 to 138 are posted and i figured i'll just post one a day for a bit. they will get continually tweaked. especially after Journeymen.

Kasak and Fricchione are not going to S32. Barr is.
Is Ryder going?

The PIAA isnt consistent with who and how they punish..
Kid transferred in years ago to a local school and it was very obvious it was to wrestle.. His partners were gone the next year and he transferred again..
Zains family moves buys property and has a business and they get whacked..
Its such a shit show, either enforce it across the board or let it be the wild west. These kids are setting themselves up for discounted tuition or free tuition. It's bigger than high school sports.

The PIAA isnt consistent with who and how they punish..
Kid transferred in years ago to a local school and it was very obvious it was to wrestle.. His partners were gone the next year and he transferred again..
Zains family moves buys property and has a business and they get whacked..
Its such a shit show, either enforce it across the board or let it be the wild west. These kids are setting themselves up for discounted tuition or free tuition. It's bigger than high school sports.
I think the majority of the cases where someone was actually penalized were because the affected school put in a formal complaint. The PIAA doesnt act on their own, they follow up on complaints.

I think the majority of the cases where someone was actually penalized were because the affected school put in a formal complaint. The PIAA doesnt act on their own, they follow up on complaints.

the cases where they get penalized are because a committee finds that there was at least some athletic intent in the transfer, most of the time the family hasn’t bought property in the district(retherfords didn’t buy until well after the hearings) the ones who usually don’t is when a school turns a blind eye and just signs off. Even when they don’t it’s not one school against another it’s if the committee finds athletic intent.

Make three state championships AA, AAA and Privates/Schools (with transfers: Reynolds, Nazareth,Chestnut Ridge, Burrell, Waynesburg, Norwin, etc)
End of story.

Reactions: d-1980
the cases where they get penalized are because a committee finds that there was at least some athletic intent in the transfer, most of the time the family hasn’t bought property in the district(retherfords didn’t buy until well after the hearings) the ones who usually don’t is when a school turns a blind eye and just signs off. Even when they don’t it’s not one school against another it’s if the committee finds athletic intent.
The Retherfords had physically moved into the school district way b4 any PIAA committee had a meeting. Property purchase has zero to do with it.

It does start with a single school. The school losing the student-athlete officially whines to the district. In McCort's case, Forest Hills. It doesn't become a PIAA issue until somebody appeals a District finding.

As far as a PIAA committee finding athletic intent, bullshit. If the PIAA is involved by default it is an athletic issue and they don't need or generally find anything. They simply declare the family liars, do whatever they want and move on. Consistency is never a consideration, nor is it possible with model.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Yes,all correct but my point was that the complaint needs to be logged by one of the affected schools.

Make three state championships AA, AAA and Privates/Schools (with transfers: Reynolds, Nazareth,Chestnut Ridge, Burrell, Waynesburg, Norwin, etc)
End of story.
Kids move, every year. Was your HS team exactly the same all four years? Did any kids move in from other schools? It happens, people move all the time. Is Joe Blow (3-22) from this school going to raise eyebrows cuz he moved to a different district between freshman and sophomore year? I doubt it.

How can you expect EVERY school that has a kid move in automatically be put in with these powerhouses?

It sounds like a great plan, but would not work.

End of story.
Law of Unintended Consequences is strong here.

Almost as strong as some peoples' urges to hujack every thread with transfer complaints.

Axtually that's not true ... nothing is that strong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT