ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

It's 100% true. if it wasn't, you would have started a thread long ago on how the PA post season is unfair.

What we have now is a bastardization of system trying to balance a season with a weekend. I'm advocating for de facto results as opposed to 'what people think'.

^^^ This is what you think. There isn't proof of that at the conference tournament. Not in their current condition. (we also don't WANT to see forfeits at the conference championships).

This isn't about Carter Starocci.

It's about Dustin Schlatter, Darrion Caldwell, Nick Suriano.
So destroy what is working because three slipped through the cracks? I like you a lot Willie but you seem agenda driven on this issue. I say that because for the life of me I can't see the validity of your point and I've tried to see it for three days now. Please explain your point and the crisis that requires such a change? It comes across as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:
idk where i suggested 'destroying'. where'd that come from? and what is my 'agenda'?

i simply don't think you should be allowed to forfeit one round of the playoffs and then advance to the next round.

the wrestlers that are healthy enough to wrestle will wrestle. the wrestlers that can't wrestle almost always cannot 12 days later.

I'm not sure i even understand the resistance to it. Carter would have wrestled if he had to. Nolf did wrestle. Suriano didn't and couldn't 12 days later.

idk where i suggested 'destroying'. where'd that come from? and what is my 'agenda'?

i simply don't think you should be allowed to forfeit one round of the playoffs and then advance to the next round.

the wrestlers that are healthy enough to wrestle will wrestle. the wrestlers that can't wrestle almost always cannot 12 days later.

I'm not sure i even understand the resistance to it. Carter would have wrestled if he had to. Nolf did wrestle. Suriano didn't and couldn't 12 days later.
It depends in what you consider "wrestle". If Carter was too hurt to compete and he had to "wrestle" to get a spot at nationals so he took the mat and laid on his back at the first whistle, that would suffice. Or he could just quit because of injury after the first whistle, which is what he did.

I get that a competitor like Carter would not have just laid down, but someone else in a similar situation could.

At-large births work. They make up for serious, but short term injuries and bad days.

Otherwise the conference tournaments are just giant pigtails to nationals.

Last edited:
First off i love Willie. Watched pretty much all the episodes of FRL for years. You made that show. Pyles is like a robot with too much arrogance for me. The way you were real and just funny and spoke the truth all the time was hilarious. Was so sad to see you leave. Many years ago you had a thread about WNO and you were asking how to make it better. I made some comment of something that could be better because i was at a few of them, and you responded with class and took the criticism as a positive. You then offered free tickets for me and my boys. So I have always been a fan of yours.

Thats said this whole thread is crazy. To me it is simple. But it seems no one can just ever agree. I side with most on here that the tweet was way unnecessary and just comes off as sour grapes from Manning. This is a PSU board so obvious the bias is gonna be against Manning and his tweet. But go to the iowa board and man they are not fans of his “crying” either. If Manning hates the rule so bad then he should have tried to “fix” this issue many years ago. Why now? Oh because his wrestler did not get in. Well everybody knows the rules and instead of blaming the system maybe just blame yourself and the wrestler for not meeting the requirements for getting in. And its the WAY Manning tried to smear Cael. I mean former PSU guys responded to call him out for his tweet. Obviously i am not changing your mind on this and this has been beating to death.

You say if you don’t wrestle in your conference tournament then you don’t move on. You think it should be a requirement. Maybe so? But the rules clearly have stipulations to help someone like Carter, who is a 3 time champion, so he can still have a chance to wrestle at NCAAS. So whats your opinion on bouzakis going 1-2 and not placing, but NCAA has a special thing for a guy like that who had a bad tournament and did not place yet he got an at large bid to make the NCAA tournament. So you used the example of piaa and said something like imagine kids skipping regionals and still getting to wrestle at Hershey. The only way you move on is to wrestle and place where needed and then you move on. There is no rule for my kid having a bad tournament and its ok we will get you into Hershey. But that is the PIAA and everybody knows the rules ahead of time. Totally different for NCAA rules for making the big dance, and coaches know the rules as well. So if you are so against Carter not wrestling at his conference tournament and still getting to compete at NCAAS, whats your take on Bouzakis not placing yet he gets an at large bid and gets in. So Carter walked out of the mat twice and went 0-2. Bouzakis walked out three times and went 1-2. So whats the difference? Both did not place but everyone knows they both deserve to compete at NCAAS. But according to you PIAA has it right where you have to wrestle and place in order to move on. Bouzakis did not place. So where is your uproar on him getting in?

Now if Carter forfeits out at NCAAs then i retract what i say and something should change. But he is going to wrestle and it was the right call IMO.

Also wonder how Dake feels about JB and Manning and staff after 2013 worlds? JB could not train/wrestle for a month and was allowed to wrestle with an ankle that was not even fully healed yet he was given the benefit of the doubt cause he was the reigning world and olympic champ. Carter is the reigning 3 time champ and anyone saying he should not be allowed to compete at NCAAs cause he defaulted out of Big Tens of an obvious injury in crazy. He earned it.

It's 100% true. if it wasn't, you would have started a thread long ago on how the PA post season is unfair.
This is such a weird take — I don’t even follow HS wrestling, at all. Not PA, not any state.

You’re trying way too hard on this one. Starocci deserved an at-large based on his regular season performance, and Manning was being irrational. That’s kind of the beginning and the end of the story right there.

Enjoy Nationals. It’s the best thing in sports.

Maybe we’re just reading way too much into Manning’s tweet. Nebraska beat Michigan pretty soundly in the dual but ended up 5 points behind Michigan in the Big Ten tournament. His tweet might have been motivated more by frustration at their team score.

No chance Carter falls that far. He can't be seeded below Welsh or Kennedy, who are probably the 6-7 seeds. Carter likely slides in at the 4 or 5.

Plus, Griffin's injury looked serious so I'm not even certain if he'll compete at nationals, which would be a bummer. He slammed his headgear down in frustration after being hurt.
Oye, this didn't age well, lol.

There were 4 at-larges at 174. The conference tourney was a qualifier for most. A qualifier; not THE qualifier.

The idea that it’s a better tournament and showcase of our sport to not have Starocci and not do everything possible to have Suriano 7 years ago is one with which I don’t agree.

Last edited:
I don't think @smalls103 is intent on tearing up the system. It seems to me - correct me if I'm wrong - he is advocating that the full allotment of allocations are made pre-conference tourney and the at-large berths are eliminated. In this case, Carter would have had to finish top 8 (or 9, can't remember) or he would not have advanced to Nationals. If he is not capable of finishing top 8, he's probably not going to be capable of winning a NC 2 weeks later.

This is how it is done at the HS level and nobody complains. It's a valid point of view.

I don't have an issue with it at face value - Willie is likely right that in 99.9% of the cases, if you can't wrestle your way into an allocated spot because of injury, it is unlikely you are going to do much in 2 weeks.

One of the consequences of this would involve the smaller conferences. Many of the weights are one bid weights, and this would probably ding a lot more guys in the smaller conferences than in the larger conferences. If you are in the B1G and the allocation is 9 and you can't finish in the top 9 - well that's one thing. If you are in the SoCon and you only have one bid in your weight and let's say you've dominated the regular season to the point that you are looking at a top 10 seed - well, you're out of luck with an unfortunate turn of fate. Not that this is much different than what goes on in HS, but at the NCAA level it does continue the shift towards that haves and away from the have nots - which is something to consider in the landscape.

it ain’t broke; don’t try to fix it. One of the best wrestlers of the last decade (if not ever) got 3.5 weeks (instead of two) to recover from an injury sustained in (possibly) the last dual meet of his career. This is evidence that the current system works.

I don't think @smalls103 is intent on tearing up the system. It seems to me - correct me if I'm wrong - he is advocating that the full allotment of allocations are made pre-conference tourney and the at-large berths are eliminated. In this case, Carter would have had to finish top 8 (or 9, can't remember) or he would not have advanced to Nationals. If he is not capable of finishing top 8, he's probably not going to be capable of winning a NC 2 weeks later.

This is how it is done at the HS level and nobody complains. It's a valid point of view.

I don't have an issue with it at face value - Willie is likely right that in 99.9% of the cases, if you can't wrestle your way into an allocated spot because of injury, it is unlikely you are going to do much in 2 weeks.

One of the consequences of this would involve the smaller conferences. Many of the weights are one bid weights, and this would probably ding a lot more guys in the smaller conferences than in the larger conferences. If you are in the B1G and the allocation is 9 and you can't finish in the top 9 - well that's one thing. If you are in the SoCon and you only have one bid in your weight and let's say you've dominated the regular season to the point that you are looking at a top 10 seed - well, you're out of luck with an unfortunate turn of fate. Not that this is much different than what goes on in HS, but at the NCAA level it does continue the shift towards that haves and away from the have nots - which is something to consider in the landscape.
I'd agree with everything you have in here.

I just don't understand what problem or issue the elimination of at-large bids are intended to fix.

Reactions: mcpat

I just don't understand what problem or issue the elimination of at-large bids are intended to fix.

Just designed to placate those who consider themselves ultra-purists (win now or go home)?

Reactions: Pennstate1985
If this isn't about Carter Starocci, why did Manning bring it up now?? It is absolutely about Carter Starocci.
Willie is really having two discussions at once in this thread. One is specifically about Manning's tweet and dredging up the nonsense about Suriano in order to whine about the injustice of Starocci's defaults potentially costing his wrestler a spot at NCAAs. The other is more generally about the allocation system and whether or not there should be at-large bids or whether all spots should be allocated. The former is definitely about Starocci, the latter is much more general than that.

Reactions: Ja1339

What it will "fix" is someone like Starocci, who is a shoo-in for an at-large spot even if he chooses to default all his conference matches, getting a bid without wrestling in a conference tournament. How much of an "issue" you consider this is very much at the heart of whether this change will be a positive or not. The change would force guys like Starocci/Suriano/Nolf to show that they are at least healthy enough to wrestle their way into an allocated spot (which Nolf did but the other two didn't) at the conference tournament before MFF'ing out of the rest of their matches in order to get a place at nationals.

He admitted in post #148 that he goofed on CStar taking an allocation. So that argument is over. Now it is solely on the allocations/at large processes. CStarr did wrestler at Big's, he lost two matches. Lots to be said on how to do this, Dice is spot on. For every sane reason there is a good argument for another.

Willie is really having two discussions at once in this thread. One is specifically about Manning's tweet and dredging up the nonsense about Suriano in order to whine about the injustice of Starocci's defaults potentially costing his wrestler a spot at NCAAs. The other is more generally about the allocation system and whether or not there should be at-large bids or whether all spots should be allocated. The former is definitely about Starocci, the latter is much more general than that.
Manning may care about his wrestler getting into Nationals, but let's not forget that Manning is highly likely to have a bonus tied to the number of qualifiers sent to nationals. His comment, with its loudness and doucheness, was probably more about money.

What it will "fix" is someone like Starocci, who is a shoo-in for an at-large spot even if he chooses to default all his conference matches, getting a bid without wrestling in a conference tournament. How much of an "issue" you consider this is very much at the heart of whether this change will be a positive or not. The change would force guys like Starocci/Suriano/Nolf to show that they are at least healthy enough to wrestle their way into an allocated spot (which Nolf did but the other two didn't) at the conference tournament before MFF'ing out of the rest of their matches in order to get a place at nationals.
but conference placement is just one of 6-7 criteria that earns you a spot at nationals. Why is actual conference tournament participation more important than conference record or RPI or coaches ranking or quality of wins or or what you actually did in the tournament? The reality is that nothing is broken and the system worked. A #34 didn't do enough to become #33, and the #1 did enough to become #9. What we are talking about here is the handing out of participation trophies. If you just show up, you get rewarded over the guy who didn't, even if you didn't deserve that reward in the first place by your effort the other 135 days of the regular season.

A two day weekend in March should never be more important than the entire season. If it is, then we really should rethink dual meets. Duals have no purpose if the only death penalty you can receive is by not being at your conference tourney. The idea of excluding those who do not participate in the tourney is to reward those who get injured early in the year rather than late year, even though wear and wear tends to make late season injuries more common, not to mention that March is still strongly flu season. That seems ass-backwards as they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: jack66 and PSUbluTX
He admitted in post #148 that he goofed on CStar taking an allocation. So that argument is over. Now it is solely on the allocations/at large processes. CStarr did wrestler at Big's, he lost two matches. Lots to be said on how to do this, Dice is spot on. For every sane reason there is a good argument for another.
Yeah, agreed. The thing that I disagree on with Willie is not that his rationale is wrong, it's the fervor with which he argues that his viewpoint is the only right one.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
but conference placement is just one of 6-7 criteria that earns you a spot at nationals. Why is actual conference tournament participation more important than conference record or RPI or coaches ranking or quality of wins or or what you actually did in the tournament? The reality is that nothing is broken and the system worked. A #34 didn't do enough to become #33, and the #1 did enough to become #9. What we are talking about here is the handing out of participation trophies. If you just show up, you get rewarded over the guy who didn't, even if you didn't deserve that reward in the first place by your effort the other 135 days of the regular season.
Well, Willie would say the system is flawed and needs to be changed so that conference placement is the only criteria that earns you a spot at nationals since all of the spots would be allocated, not at-large. Otherwise, I personally don't have a strong opinion on which way is best. There are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches.

A two day weekend in March should never be more important than the entire season. If it is, then we really should rethink dual meets. Duals have no purpose if the only death penalty you can receive is by not being at your conference tourney. The idea of excluding those who do not participate in the tourney is to reward those who get injured early in the year rather than late year, even though wear and wear tends to make late season injuries more common, not to mention that March is still strongly flu season. That seems ass-backwards as they say.
If you place high enough at your conference tourney, then it's the only criterion.

If you place high enough at your conference tourney, then it's the only criterion.
True but the whole back and forth is about those who do not meet that criteria. Then you go to the next set of criteria, and my point is do we exclude those who wrestled for four months but missed the tourney even though they qualified based on the overall criteria? The answer is clearly no. We want our best to represent the sport in the limelight. Can you imagine the black eye the sport would rightfully receive if Carter was excluded from participating even though he was a 3 timer going for 4? It would make me seriously question whether TPTB really had the best interests of the sport in mind.

Well, Willie would say the system is flawed and needs to be changed so that conference placement is the only criteria that earns you a spot at nationals since all of the spots would be allocated, not at-large. Otherwise, I personally don't have a strong opinion on which way is best. There are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches.
The system isn't flawed. The fact that this happens every 3-5 years or so means it's working as intended. If it was happening multiple times every year, then maybe I'd agree.

Reactions: jack66
True but the whole back and forth is about those who do not meet that criteria. Then you go to the next set of criteria, and my point is do we exclude those who wrestled for four months but missed the tourney even though they qualified based on the overall criteria? The answer is clearly no. We want our best to represent the sport in the limelight. Can you imagine the black eye the sport would rightfully receive if Carter was excluded from participating even though he was a 3 timer going for 4? It would make me seriously question whether TPTB really had the best interests of the sport in mind.
Willie's point is that conference placement should be the only criterion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT