ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell Mesenbrink's Pace

Didnt someone post that Noah Mulvaney of Bucknell is another student of John Mesenbrink.
He is at 165 also !
Theoretically (meaning not likely) MM could face Mulvaney before getting to KOT.

Didnt someone post that Noah Mulvaney of Bucknell is another student of John Mesenbrink.
He is at 165 also !
Theoretically (meaning not likely) MM could face Mulvaney before getting to KOT.
Does John only coach one weight class😅It’s kind of crazy all the college guys are in the same weight class

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
He is at 165 also !
Psycho and Mulvaney were HS teammates, and both trained in Askren's club.

Just want the kid relaxed (no problem) and having fun (no problem). The rest, win or lose will take care of itself. The coaches may spend a minute or two looking at 165 film, but only for the semi's and finals I suspect.

Bout 1 vs #31 Maxx Mayfield (NW): Mayfield is 3-9 in his last 12, best win vs Fish, pushing Fish to the at-large pool. Mesenbrink a HEAVY favorite.

Bout 2 vs #15 Cassella / #18 Brady winner: Mesenbrink owns a TF against Cassella this season. Cassella is about .500 against the fiend in KC but all wins are against the bottom of the field. Brady has a TF loss to O'Toole and a MD loss to Ramirez. Loss isn't anything to be ashamed uf, but he was dominated. Mesenbrink a heavy favorite.

Bout 3 vs Olejnik / Amine winner if chalk: Olejnik can't be taken lightly, three of five losses to either O'Toole or Carr, the others to Caliendo and Hall. Also beat Hall at conference tourney, and has an early season win against #3 seed Ramirez. Tough out that hasn't given up bonus all year. We know Amine, who wrestled well at Big Ten's, so the guy we saw in January at the dual is a different guy. Still, Mesenbrink a solid favorite, not necessarily by bonus.

Bout 4 vs Ramirez / Caliendo winner if chalk: I don't see Caliendo winning vs Ramirez, but would be plenty ok if it happened. Ramirez is 22-2, with only losses to O'Toole and Olejnik. Owns a win against Carr, that alone speaks for the talent here and the deserving #3 seed. Best other win is against Cerniglia. Looking down his resume, hasn't faced the motor and attacks Mesenbrink brings. Question is, can Ramirez neutralize it.

Bout 5 vs O'Toole / Carr / Hamiti: The way O'Toole is rolling, I don't see anyone stopping him into the finals. Only Carr, Olejnik and Hall have kept O'Toole from bonus, unless you consider the 174 bout against Ruth (also a decision win for O'Toole). Kid has done it all, this bout will show us how close Mesenbrink is to him. One thing he can't do with O'Toole is go down 9-2 early.

Reactions: JUBAN
I noticed the breathing with Mitch also. He appeared to continue that breathing exercise from around the 0:10 mark of the first period until the whistle start of the second period. He then wrestled the remainder of the match looking fresh as ever.

In watching Mitch's matches from the B1G tournament I noticed two occasions where he successfully hit an outside cradle when he and his opponent were on the mat and his opponent had an outside single. It was very impressive.

On an unrelated note, I went back and re-watched several of the B1G Finals matches involving Penn State wrestlers. I find there is so much I miss the first time while viewing. Also, since there is a quick turnaround for the NCAA tournament, the focus naturally goes there, making it easy to overlook what happened at the B1G tournament.

In Davis's match with McKee his three point near fall and eventual one minute plus of riding time came after he could have easily allowed McKee to escape after McKee got to his feet and had achieved hand control in the first 30 seconds of the second period. Instead, Braeden fought through the position and was able to return McKee back to the mat. I love Braeden's tenacity and poise, which is so impressive for a true freshman.

In Beau's match against Mendez, Mendez's extended scramble takedown started from a shot by Beau. I wouldn't be surprised if this just strengthens Beau's obvious preference to primarily be a counter wrestler.

Levi looked good, but I would have preferred he pushed it a little more. I believe he doesn't think Lewan can take him down, and that is why he is not overaso he is more comfortable not taking an ill-advised shid

Brook's match with Glazier just reinforced what an amazing technician Brooks is. It is amazing to see someone his size execute so smoothly. The combination of being able to hit ankle picks and low singles while also being able to work off of an underhook is just a brutal combination. I look forward to his international career.

Kerklvliet looked solid against Feldman after giving up the initial takedown. That switch to the double where he launched Feldman was impressive!

Bout 2 vs #15 Cassella / #18 Brady winner: Mesenbrink owns a TF against Cassella this season. Cassella is about .500 against the fiend in KC but all wins are against the bottom of the field.

Took me a minute to recognize the typo. Was trying to figure out who the "fiend in KC" is and was about to go to wrestlestat for some research.

MM's pace is attested to by the fact that most of us saw his transfer and said "cool", another guy to push Facundo and now he is up there with the best.

I keep thinking about the last time O'Toole was taken into deep waters.

Oh, now I remember, Carr pinned him in overtime.

I keep thinking about the last time O'Toole was taken into deep waters.

Oh, now I remember, Carr pinned him in overtime.
Peyton Hall this season and KOT scored late to win. MM might win but you are totally discounting how good KOT is. He’s a multiple time national champ for gods sake. It’s wrestling so anything can happen (like AB losing to ISU last season) but KOT will be the favorite if him and MM meet in the finals. I will be rooting for Mesenbrink and wouldn’t be surprised if he won but if I had to put $ on it I would have to pick O’Toole

Peyton Hall this season and KOT scored late to win. MM might win but you are totally discounting how good KOT is. He’s a multiple time national champ for gods sake. It’s wrestling so anything can happen (like AB losing to ISU last season) but KOT will be the favorite if him and MM meet in the finals. I will be rooting for Mesenbrink and wouldn’t be surprised if he won but if I had to put $ on it I would have to pick O’Toole
Don't sound like you're rooting for Mesenbrink.

MM's pace is attested to by the fact that most of us saw his transfer and said "cool", another guy to push Facundo and now he is up there with the best.
I went to Spire to watch the U20 World Team Trials and watched MM defeat Levi 2 matches in a row. I kept thinking why is this kid going to Cal Baptist instead of PSU. I guess he asked himself the same question.

I knew exactly what we were getting.

Don't sound like you're rooting for Mesenbrink.

Sure it does. Maybe your glasses are foggy, try reading again.

Edit: Nevermind, I see from your posts in another thread that it’s simply your schtick to pretend to be completely oblivious to the difference between “predicting” and “rooting for” and then dance around like a Brands brother when people fall for your silliness.

Last edited:
On the FRL episode after Big 10s, Askren talked about Mesenbrink vs. Ramirez & said that Ramirez doesn't have the gas tank to go with Mitchell. He said, something like Ramirez doesn't have the gas tank to go a full 7-minutes. While it might be close for the first couple of periods, he predicts Mitchell will keep scoring after Ramirez runs out of the gas, and win the match.

Last edited:
Just want the kid relaxed (no problem) and having fun (no problem). The rest, win or lose will take care of itself. The coaches may spend a minute or two looking at 165 film, but only for the semi's and finals I suspect.

Bout 1 vs #31 Maxx Mayfield (NW): Mayfield is 3-9 in his last 12, best win vs Fish, pushing Fish to the at-large pool. Mesenbrink a HEAVY favorite.

Bout 2 vs #15 Cassella / #18 Brady winner: Mesenbrink owns a TF against Cassella this season. Cassella is about .500 against the fiend in KC but all wins are against the bottom of the field. Brady has a TF loss to O'Toole and a MD loss to Ramirez. Loss isn't anything to be ashamed uf, but he was dominated. Mesenbrink a heavy favorite.

Bout 3 vs Olejnik / Amine winner if chalk: Olejnik can't be taken lightly, three of five losses to either O'Toole or Carr, the others to Caliendo and Hall. Also beat Hall at conference tourney, and has an early season win against #3 seed Ramirez. Tough out that hasn't given up bonus all year. We know Amine, who wrestled well at Big Ten's, so the guy we saw in January at the dual is a different guy. Still, Mesenbrink a solid favorite, not necessarily by bonus.

Bout 4 vs Ramirez / Caliendo winner if chalk: I don't see Caliendo winning vs Ramirez, but would be plenty ok if it happened. Ramirez is 22-2, with only losses to O'Toole and Olejnik. Owns a win against Carr, that alone speaks for the talent here and the deserving #3 seed. Best other win is against Cerniglia. Looking down his resume, hasn't faced the motor and attacks Mesenbrink brings. Question is, can Ramirez neutralize it.

Bout 5 vs O'Toole / Carr / Hamiti: The way O'Toole is rolling, I don't see anyone stopping him into the finals. Only Carr, Olejnik and Hall have kept O'Toole from bonus, unless you consider the 174 bout against Ruth (also a decision win for O'Toole). Kid has done it all, this bout will show us how close Mesenbrink is to him. One thing he can't do with O'Toole is go down 9-2 early.
Another note on Olejnik...he beat Hamiti 8-2 at the All Star Classic. Hamiti got to his legs at will, but just couldn't finish. Olejnik was in reverse/defense mode the whole match, but hit one of the best ankle picks you'll see and put Hamiti on his butt.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
On the FRL episode after Big 10s, Askren talked about Mesenbrink vs. Rameriz & said that Rameriz doesn't have the gas tank to go with Mitchell. He said, something like Rameriz doesn't have the gas tank to go a full 7-minutes. While it might be close for the first couple of periods, he predicts Mitchell will keep scoring after Rameriz runs out of the gas, and win the match.
1) It's Ramirez, not "Rameriz"
2) How did Ramirez beat Carr this year? How did he beat Monday twice last year? How did he beat Griffith the year before? How did he major Facundo at NCAAs last year?

1) It's Ramirez, not "Rameriz"
2) How did Ramirez beat Carr this year? How did he beat Monday twice last year? How did he beat Griffith the year before? How did he major Facundo at NCAAs last year?
1) Since Ben Askren is the one who made those claims, then maybe you should send him a tweet to find the answers you're looking for?

2) Why would I care about how Ramirez beat anyone this year or last year? There could be many reasons he won those matches, but none of those has anything to do with the question of whether or not Ramirez has the gas tank to go hard for a full 7 minutes. Askren doesn't think he does & I don't either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and slushhead
Exactly! When I was diagnosed with lung capacity issues as a result of my USMC activities, I was instructed to practice a pranayama technique called Sudarshan Kriya. While I have to use a breathing g machine at night, the breathing exercises of pranayama have allowed me to carry on with vigorous farm work during the day …. and I’m 75 now. The “huffing” that MM exhibited during the final reminded me of my daily 30 minute breathing routine. FYI - James Nestor has a great book on breathing (2020). I have no doubt that elite athletes are using these techniques.
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I tried a mask at night, but that didn't work. I had surgery to try & fix the problem, but that didn't help either. Then, I stumbled upon Pranayama & Wim Hof breathing exercises. It took a few months to feel the full effects, but the improvement in the quality of my life was profound. My previous breathing issues are long gone.

Alistair Overeem talks about using the Wim Hof method to improve his performance in MMA in this video:

Last edited:
Compare this to Will Lewan who takes a committed attached every 18.5 years. I really feel like it's in our best interests to start a go fund me to Pay Mr Lewan to leave his shoes on the mat next weekend.

Lung capacity is not trainable. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5023719/#:~:text=Indeed, unlike the cardiac and,in lung volume or function.

What is trainable is the ability to utilize the oxygen in the bloodstream by the muscles (capillarization, mitochondria, etc.). This happens through aerobic training, mostly.
Lungs can only expand so far.

Gotta admit I thought he was gassing...at first.
I was thinking Brooks-Amine Part II all over again. But I also felt like Hamiti was going to regret how much he put into that first period, too, and that Mesenbrink would require a much narrower window to recover and reassert himself.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Lungs can only

Lungs can only expand so far.
I’d not dispute the lung capacity article, however studies show that exercise training can enhance the functional reserve of the respiratory system, leading to improved muscular strength and ventilation response to endurance training. Athletes, tend to exhibit higher spirometric values due to respiratory adaptations from breathing exercises such as increased lung volumes and improved lung elasticity. While exercise may not significantly alter lung size, it can optimize existing lung function and overall health by strengthening respiratory muscles and enhancing cardio-respiratory efficiency. If you look around Pro Cycling you will see many claims of 15% increases in lung elasticity (although this might be achieved by nefarious means).
Oh shit ….. sorry. Wrong message board. I’ll delete this after I get out of the lab.

I went to Spire to watch the U20 World Team Trials and watched MM defeat Levi 2 matches in a row. I kept thinking why is this kid going to Cal Baptist instead of PSU. I guess he asked himself the same question.

I knew exactly what we were getting.

That would have gotten my attention (had I been paying attention and known about it).

so are you saying 100 meter guy can beat a miler in the mile??LOL lungs matter
LOL. It is not the ability of the lungs to supply oxygen to the blood; it is the ability of the muscles to utilize the oxygen (for endurance events). Unless you have a physical disability, your lungs provide more than enough oxygen for exercise.

(in case you didn't know, a 100m sprint is entirely anaerobic (mostly ATP-CP), and a mile run is a mix of anaerobic and aerobic. https://canada.humankinetics.com/blogs/excerpt/energy-systems is a great explainer)

Reactions: baccafarmer
LOL. It is not the ability of the lungs to supply oxygen to the blood; it is the ability of the muscles to utilize the oxygen (for endurance events). Unless you have a physical disability, your lungs provide more than enough oxygen for exercise.

(in case you didn't know, a 100m sprint is entirely anaerobic (mostly ATP-CP), and a mile run is a mix of anaerobic and aerobic. https://canada.humankinetics.com/blogs/excerpt/energy-systems is a great explainer)
well you didnt answer my question? just a yes or no will suffice!! thanks!

For ****s sake

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT