ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

Here's the thing about guys like Manning. There are coaches out there at all levels, and in all sports, whose toolbox of motivational tricks is about one drawer deep. And usually, as in his case, it only has one tool in that one drawer, which generally revolves around some sort of I-got-screwed/negative/revenge-oriented motivation. And the thing is, athletes that are actually motivated by that sort of thing are generally meatheads, and tend to not win the big one when push comes to shove.

As I tell my kids, in life, you will do much better if you are actually able to define what you are affirmatively "for," and work toward it, rather than simply being a contrarian motivated by what they are simply "against."
Exactly, there of course are times to be motivated against doubt that comes from a place of doing things a certain way, or right way. The Iowa fans get quite salty over talking about training to improve or not focusing on the win, but getting better.

I’d say the results that Penn State is showing proof that the concept of trying to improve and enjoying the process works better than being motivated by some kind of war like mentality.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Exactly, there of course are times to be motivated against doubt that comes from a place of doing things a certain way, or right way. The Iowa fans get quite salty over talking about training to improve or not focusing on the win, but getting better.

I’d say the results that Penn State is showing proof that the concept of trying to improve and enjoying the process works better than being motivated by some kind of war like mentality.
Indeed, the latter is not sustainable, the former is. Jr once went to a goalie camp held by the great Mitch korn, and he kept saying something I increasingly hear psu’s wrestlers say: “one day better”. In everything.

This could backfire on Manning with recruiting. I’m guessing most of the guys considering Nebraska have Penn State at or near the top of their list. The kids, or at least their parents, might not like the tweet, especially with Bo, Mark and Matt immediately saying it didn’t go down that way.
Seriously doubt it. Most of the better 2025 wrestlers are committed. By the time the 2026 guys can be contacted, this will be long forgotten.

Not only that, he cited two other people as sources in his incredibly stupid tweet. So he involved others as well. It was way below the belt without an ounce of truth. Furthermore, I keep hearing this bs "passion" for his wrestlers. That wasn't about passion, it was about pettiness.
Bingo. It’s wasn’t about protecting his wrestlers. It was about venting his own emotions. A great coach once told me, “If you need to vent your emotions, get yourself a )&&))) therapist. Don’t take it out on the kids and pretend it’s coaching.”

Last edited:
As a diehard Flyers fan, I see this with the Flyers fanbase all the time (which might be the dumbest fanbase in sports, LOL). Any time someone hits a Flyer, there is always an online uproar about getting revenge and going back to the Broad Street Bullies glory days when that would ignite a bench clearing brawl even though that style of hockey has been dead and buried for 20 years, and the league office has made it crystal clear that they will penalize overly rough teams to the point where that style will not win in the current game. None of that matters to the troglodytes, though.

As a diehard Flyers fan, I see this with the Flyers fanbase all the time (which might be the dumbest fanbase in sports, LOL). Any time someone hits a Flyer, there is always an online uproar about getting revenge and going back to the Broad Street Bullies glory days when that would ignite a bench clearing brawl even though that style of hockey has been dead and buried for 20 years, and the league office has made it crystal clear that they will penalize overly rough teams to the point where that style will not win in the current game. None of that matters to the troglodytes, though.
The last time I attended a Flyers game, they went up 2-0 early and everybody sat on their hands. Then a fight broke out, standing ovation. Nobody seemed to care that they blew that lead and lost.

That was 10 or so years ago. Nothing has changed with this fanbase. I'll watch on TV but have zero motivation to watch live or at a sports bar.

I'm sure some Iowa fans see their current style as good but not championship level. And they may as well be spitting into the wind.

The last time I attended a Flyers game, they went up 2-0 early and everybody sat on their hands. Then a fight broke out, standing ovation. Nobody seemed to care that they blew that lead and lost.

That was 10 or so years ago. Nothing has changed with this fanbase. I'll watch on TV but have zero motivation to watch live or at a sports bar.

I'm sure some Iowa fans see their current style as good but not championship level. And they may as well be spitting into the wind.
Just look at the "who should replace Brands" type threads on GIA. There is a significant portion of the fanbase who reject any and all "modern training" candidates, not just the PSU guys like DT but also Askren and others with no PSU connection, in favor of more Gable disciples who would inevitably continue the overtraining and win everything at all costs mentality. It wasn't all of them (before jmadden or one of the other more reasonable guys jumps in to correct me...), but it wasn't just one or two, either.

Just look at the "who should replace Brands" type threads on GIA. There is a significant portion of the fanbase who reject any and all "modern training" candidates, not just the PSU guys like DT but also Askren and others with no PSU connection, in favor of more Gable disciples who would inevitably continue the overtraining and win everything at all costs mentality. It wasn't all of them (before jmadden or one of the other more reasonable guys jumps in to correct me...), but it wasn't just one or two, either.
Did you watch the Spencer & Austin documentary? It was good, don’t get me wrong, but throughout I couldn’t help but notice the difference in philosophies from Cael.

One example: they identified Austin as someone they wanted after he lost by TF to Spencer his 11th grade season, based on how devastated he was after.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
One example: they identified Austin as someone they wanted after he lost by TF to Spencer his 11th grade season, based on how devastated he was after.
In which case they judged him correctly (leaving aside his behavioral issues).

DeSanto dramatically improved himself that year, and in college was a high AA who beat several national champs and finalists.

Obviously we got the better guy, but DeSanto did not hinder their team title aspirations.

In which case they judged him correctly (leaving aside his behavioral issues).

DeSanto dramatically improved himself that year, and in college was a high AA who beat several national champs and finalists.

Obviously we got the better guy, but DeSanto did not hinder their team title aspirations.
Don’t misinterpret; I’ve said on this forum for years that there are certain types of wrestlers that are a better fit for the Iowa style. Just pointing out the different philosophy. Couldn’t imagine Cael being attracted to a recruit for how much he beat himself up after a loss.

Don’t misinterpret; I’ve said on this forum for years that there are certain types of wrestlers that are a better fit for the Iowa style. Just pointing out the different philosophy. Couldn’t imagine Cael being attracted to a recruit for how much he beat himself up after a loss.
Are you trying to say Brands recruits losers and Cael recruits winners?

... Couldn’t imagine Cael being attracted to a recruit for how much he beat himself up after a loss.
I hear what you’re saying, but I can imagine it, depending on context and everything else. I imagine that Cael sees the whole person and not just one episode or one aspect. I imagine a high schooler might do one thing in high school that some might think is a negative, but Cael might say: for this guy, at that time, it’s not a negative. See Cael’s recent quote: “that’s why he’s Carter Starocci”.

Reactions: creamery freak
It’s always been a mystery to me. But I recall reading posts in this forum from folks that attended socials and banquets that Nick seemed like a keep to himself person. I wonder if it was just a bad fit. Pure speculation, but some wrestlers aren’t into the grateful/spiritual vibe.

Recently, Cael said on the Penn St coaches’ show that convincing a recruit to come to Penn St that is unsure about it usually doesn’t work out. I wondered if he was thinking of Nick when he said that.

Regardless, Nick went on to win a couple of titles, including one for his home state school, and (I assume) got his NIL money at another. Things worked out for him. We’ve had a bit of a void at 125, but it hasn’t hurt the team much and now we have the 1-seed at the weight.
No mysteries about Suriano when he opened his mouth after winning his NC at Michigan. Spouted sour grapes and how the whole world is against him....after a win. He was a stark contrast to Austin DeSanto's interview after he lost to RBY which was compelling, congratulatory and spoke of who he had become via this sport.

wow as a flyers fan your being kind of hard on yourself!!Leave me out of that group!

Reactions: psu00

Philly has by far the most outrageous fans, except maybe when the Blackhawks and Redwings are playing. I've been in both arenas, and it can be a bloodbath with the fans. Oh yeah, if you were at the old Chicago Stadium, ya better pay someone to watch your car. That Stadium was insane when Detroit was in town.

Philly has by far the most outrageous fans, except maybe when the Blackhawks and Redwings are playing. I've been in both arenas, and it can be a bloodbath with the fans. Oh yeah, if you were at the old Chicago Stadium, ya better pay someone to watch your car. That Stadium was insane when Detroit was in town.
I lived in Chicago in the late 90s after they moved to the cavernous new arena (which was really needed for Michael Jordan, not the 'Hawks...) and after the Wirtz's had destroyed the product on the ice. It was kind of depressing because the arena was 1/3 or so full for most games, except Detroit (who were perennial Cup contenders in that era), when the crowd was 2/3 Wings fans. It really wasn't right like that.

I can’t find it, but Adam Tirapelle stated that Cael was one of the very few coaches who’d prefer to watch a kid practice and talk to the kid and coaches than watch the kid in a match as the former gave him far more insight than the latter

False. Philly fans are nuts but no more than others. The media piles on to continually reinforce the reputation.

Philly fans have not run onto the field to jump the first base coach, as happened in Chicago.

Did not stab an opposing fan to death in the parking lot, see San Francisco.

Did not beat an opposing fan into a coma in the parking lot, see Los Angeles.

Did not fight a fan in the stands and kill him, see Boston.

Did not grab a pregnant woman by the neck, see Pittsburgh.

Did not shower opposing minority players with beers and racial slurs, see Iowa City.

Etc.

False. Philly fans are nuts but no more than others. The media piles on to continually reinforce the reputation.

Philly fans have not run onto the field to jump the first base coach, as happened in Chicago.

Did not stab an opposing fan to death in the parking lot, see San Francisco.

Did not beat an opposing fan into a coma in the parking lot, see Los Angeles.

Did not fight a fan in the stands and kill him, see Boston.

Did not grab a pregnant woman by the neck, see Pittsburgh.

Did not shower opposing minority players with beers and racial slurs, see Iowa City.

Etc.
May be true, but they booed Mike Schmidt and Santa Claus. Kensington says hello!

Reactions: creamery freak
Knocked out a ref with a snowball?
Threw beer bottles?
Didn't that happy in the city of brotherly love?(Philly not TnT)

Reactions: Hotshoe
Threw beer bottles?
Shouts from old Chicago Stadium. Kill em. Kill that Mother F%%ker!

If anyone has ever been in the old Chicago Stadium. You had to be very careful jumping out of your seat. The upper level was about 7' above your head of solid concrete.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Threw beer bottles?
I'm old enough to have seen Jim Martin make an Iowa wrestler quit in Rec Hall, and these things happened before I was born.

Get another, less lazy trope.

Kensington has what to do with the fans exactly?

Do we judge SF fans by the Tenderloin?
Well, of course we do. Been there done that while staying at the Pan Pacific. Great times. Today, I wouldn't go to either area. However, they didn't boo Mike or Santa! Lol

Phillie Phanatic Phi GIF by MLB

lol. Context is hard to provide on the internet.

Watch the Documentary and I think you’ll see my point
I enjoy just about any documentary about wrestling this one was a bit odd. For starters, they covered the entire Spencer and Austin story from the time they were little kids right up till their final season and then they just stopped. Obviously we know how their college careers ended but they could have at least touched on it since it’s a VERY important part of the story. The theme was “overcoming adversity” for heaven’s sake! Also found it odd that Iowa and the BTN are featuring past Hawkeye student athletes instead of the guys in their current lineup.

But fully agree, Mcpat, the tough guy, grind-till-you-drop approach is alive and well in Brands’ room. There were more sopping wet t-shirts on display in that doc than you’d find in a Daytona biker bar in July.

Last edited:
It's false to say a significant portion of the fanbase based off what a few people say on HR. Most Hawkeye wrestling fans do not post there. I personally know a bunch of Hawkeye fans that would like to have David Taylor as a coach.

Iowan's don't care for Askren for lots of reasons btw. I won't get into that here.

Reactions: Hotshoe
It's false to say a significant portion of the fanbase based off what a few people say on HR. Most Hawkeye wrestling fans do not post there. I personally know a bunch of Hawkeye fans that would like to have David Taylor as a coach.

Iowan's don't care for Askren for lots of reasons btw. I won't get into that here.
I fully agree. Most folks are phenomenal people. That also goes regarding political folks on either side. I'll further add, nothing pisses me off more than folks that believe they're better than others, then mock flyover states. Iowans are great folk. Salt of the earth types. Your board, that's another discussion.

There is certainly a significant portion who are open to it as well. I don't think it's wrong to project percentages of HR preferences onto the fanbase with appropriate caveats. If there are 1/3 of the HR posters oppose Taylor, without better information, I'd say it's reasonable to guess that about 1/3 of the Iowa fanbase opposes it. That is significant, but it also means 2/3 are OK with it.

I enjoy just about any documentary about wrestling this one was a bit odd. For starters, they covered the entire Spencer and Austin story from the time they were little kids right up till their final season and then they just stopped. Obviously we know how their college careers ended but they could have at least touched on it since it’s a VERY important part of the story. Also found it odd that the BTN is featuring past Hawkeye student athletes instead of the guys in their current lineup.

But fully agree, Mcpat, the tough guy, grind-till-you-drop approach is alive and well in Brands’ room. There were more sopping wet t-shirts on display in that doc than you’d find in a Daytona biker bar in July.
Austin teaching the young kids in Marinelli’s club about breaking your opponent’s spirit was an eye-opening scene for me. But maybe I’m just a wuss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT