ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Session 1 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

I don't agree. if our guys are stalling they should be hit for it. The ankle ride is one we should get hit on some.
If you aren't improving your position you get hit. Our guys would adapt..

Well, i ready through about all the posts for the first 10 pages in this thread and while it’s a shame we seem to have lost the team title already, it was a fun session 1!

Reactions: yekrut321
That's what Gable Steveson did and what Nick Lee did. It worked for Steveson and not Lee. Several on here called him dumb for the strategy. Guess hindsight truly is 20/20
The difference is, Gable Steveson, Olympic champion, is not locked in a serious battle for an NCAA team title, and he can afford to mess around with little likelihood of damaging the team's chances.

All that belly aching, Penn State currently leads the way with 15.5 ahead of Iowa with 14.5. Michigan with 12.5 in third.
Track is showing Cass with a fall, so that's the two phantom points. ESPN is showing it as well. They need to fix that, hopefully someone is pointing it out. Rare to see such a blatant mistake staying up this long.

Reactions: mcpat
It is frustrating, but it's a lot easier to get a tech (or a fall, obviously) with back points rather than TDs alone. So its understandable why these guys work hard on top looking for a chance to turn the opponent.

That said, Nick Lee had a tech in the bag and somehow let it slip away. Brooks, conversely, just ran out of time.
Actually Aaron got that last TD with 10 seconds or so to go. Cut him and get the last TD. It isn't like the kid was resisting by that point.

Some of yinz are really good at breaking down who we have in next round , Iowa and Michigan (our seed and theirs)

any one planning on doing that.

let’s go boys

Reactions: backdrft76
Ok I’m done with reading about wrestling for a while. You guys can keep going, but I’m going to stop by Marie Callender’s and order my dinner of corn beef and cabbage before they run out.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Breaking News: Franklin & Marshall and Hofstra have been eliminated from the team title race.

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
Team Standings
Penn State
15.5​
259.5​
7​
2​
Iowa
12.5​
283.5​
8​
2​
Michigan
12.5​
256​
8​
1​
Arizona State
11.5​
201​
6​
1​
North Carolina State
11​
283​
6​
4​
Northern Iowa
11​
229​
4​
4​
Nebraska
10​
226.5​
7​
1​
Oregon State
8​
225​
6​
2​
Virginia Tech
8​
225​
6​
2​
Cornell
7​
252​
5​
4​
Ohio State
7​
224.5​
5​
3​
Pitt
7​
170​
4​
2​
Purdue
7​
197.5​
4​
3​
Wisconsin
7​
225.5​
3​
6​
Missouri
6​
251.5​
4​
5​
Oklahoma State
6​
196​
5​
3​
Rutgers
6​
197.5​
2​
5​
Minnesota
5.5​
224​
3​
6​
Stanford
5.5​
114​
3​
2​
North Carolina
5​
169​
2​
4​
Northwestern
5​
222.5​
5​
5​
Virginia
5​
195.5​
4​
4​
Cal Poly
4​
112.5​
3​
2​
Iowa State
4​
250​
3​
6​
Princeton
4​
140​
3​
3​
Air Force
3​
57.5​
1​
1​
Appalachian State
3​
139​
3​
2​
Bloomsburg
3​
30.5​
1​
Clarion
3​
30.5​
1​
Illinois
3​
112​
2​
2​
North Dakota State
3​
139.5​
2​
3​
Oklahoma
3​
249​
3​
6​
Penn
3​
249​
3​
6​
West Virginia
3​
84.5​
2​
2​
Wyoming
3​
111.5​
3​
1​
Campbell
2​
139​
1​
5​
Central Michigan
2​
111​
2​
2​
Duke
2​
56​
2​
Lehigh
2​
166​
2​
5​
Northern Illinois
2​
83.5​
2​
1​
Binghamton
1​
110.5​
1​
3​
Bucknell
1​
28​
1​
Chattanooga
1​
83​
1​
3​
Cleveland State
1​
83​
1​
2​
Columbia
1​
83​
1​
2​
Harvard
1​
28​
1​
Indiana
1​
55.5​
1​
1​
Kent State
1​
56​
2​
Lock Haven
1​
110.5​
1​
4​
Maryland
1​
55.5​
1​
2​
Michigan State
1​
110.5​
1​
4​
Navy
1​
83​
1​
2​
Northern Colorado
1​
83​
1​
2​
Rider
1​
55.5​
1​
1​
South Dakota State
1​
110.5​
1​
3​
The Citadel
1​
55.5​
1​
1​
Utah Valley
1​
83​
1​
2​
Army
0​
82.5​
4​
Buffalo
0​
82.5​
3​
Cal State Bakersfield
0​
27.5​
1​
Drexel
0​
55​
2​
Edinboro
0​
27.5​
1​
Franklin & Marshall
0​
0​
1​
Gardner Webb
0​
27.5​
1​
Hofstra
0​
0​
1​
Ohio
0​
27.5​
2​

All that belly aching, Penn State currently leads the way with 15.5 ahead of Iowa with 14.5. Michigan with 12.5 in third
According to my Math, Iowa has 12.5.

They advanced 8 and got a tech from ADS, pin from Murin, major from Warner. Everything else was decision. Did someone get DQed in their match and we missed it?

125 - Ashton, Stanford
133 - Koderhand, Navy
141 - Kinner, Rider
149 - Sasso, tOSU
157 - Holschlag, UNI
174 - Kemp, Cal Poly
184 - Bolen, VT
197 - Aiello, Virginny
285 - Orndorff, tOSU

Reactions: backdrft76
thats-a-clown-post-bro.jpg
Using reverse psychology!

I don't agree. if our guys are stalling they should be hit for it. The ankle ride is one we should get hit on some.
If you aren't improving your position you get hit. Our guys would adapt..

It's a fine line. Willie and others hate stalling from on top. I get their point but disagree with the remedy.

I think there is a middle ground. Riding from on top is a skill and it is (as it should be) rewarded.

I believe you should not/can not be called for stalling on top until after the top wrestler has talied a full minute of riding time. After, yes controlling but not working for back points should result in a stalemate or in the right circumstances stalling. After 1 min if RT the bottom guy should not get a point for an escape.

The hard part is what if you have a tie match and a rideout wins it for the top man - say he has 30 sec of RT with 40 seconds to go? Stalling from top or awarding an escape point could lose the match for the top man. Did the bottom guy really deserve that point?

As much as RBYs trapping the leg won him the Fix match last year, triggers some critics, it was quite an impressive display of skill. Fix is a world-class wrestler and if he wants to win he needs to earn the escape in that situation, not be gifted the win for displaying inferior skills from bottom.

Actually Aaron got that last TD with 10 seconds or so to go. Cut him and get the last TD. It isn't like the kid was resisting by that point.
Sure, in hindsight Brooks should have stopped looking for a turn and started playing catch and release 30 seconds earlier. But I assume Brooks thought he could turn the guy.

Kerk had 3+ minutes of riding time halfway through the 2nd period, and appeared to be making no progress on top, and this board was prepared to rupture. Then Kerk finally gets a turn, and then the pin. So maybe it's not completely straightforward to decide when to stop give trying to turn the opponent. That's all I'm saying.

Hildebrandt gets the 33 seed Ashton and then Teske. If gets past Teske, it’ll then be McKee/Schroder/DeAugustino/Mastrogiovainni. Not the easiest draw, but it is nationals after all.

Berge gets the 33 seed Holschlag then 15 seed Lovett (CMU). Win that and it’s likely the loser of Humphreys and Robb. Win there and he’ll likely have to beat 13 Thomas or 12 Wright to be an AA. This looks doable to me, but we’ll obviously see.

On the last two takedowns in the last minute, instead of immediately letting his opponent up, Brooks held down his head like he was looking for the cradle and wasted valuable seconds when seconds mattered. I wasn't sure why with that little time to go. I would love to have been able to hear what the coaches were saying at that point.

Hildebrandt and berge losing in first round really hurts. We need bonus points this next round again from all of our guys. After that it is a toss up regarding bonus points since most of our guys keep it close..
berge and hildebrandt need to win at least 2 if not 3 for us to have a chance at team title. Beau needs to get lucky be sasso but that is doubtful and needs to win at least 2 in wrestle backs as well.

can kerk beat singleton. It is possible if he wrestles loose and fast and gets singles.

can’t afford anymore losses anytime soon as far as other teams upsetting us. We need some help.

Hildebrandt and berge losing in first round really hurts. We need bonus points this next round again from all of our guys. After that it is a toss up regarding bonus points since most of our guys keep it close..
berge and hildebrandt need to win at least 2 if not 3 for us to have a chance at team title. Beau needs to get lucky be sasso but that is doubtful and needs to win at least 2 in wrestle backs as well.

can kerk beat singleton. It is possible if he wrestles loose and fast and gets singles.
What on God's green Earth are you talking about? There's not even a Singleton in any bracket.

If it's an autocorrect from Gable and your analysis is "he just has to wrestle loose, fast and get singles" then I assume you're just a football fan jumping in for this weekend lol.

I don't disagree with you on that Googles.
RBY riding Fix didn't look like stalling unless you were rooting for Fix.
We've seen rides that lasted an entire period that resulted in no backs and neither guy stalled but they aren't the majority.
If no legitimate attempt at a turn is made there is no riding time??

Sure, in hindsight Brooks should have stopped looking for a turn and started playing catch and release 30 seconds earlier. But I assume Brooks thought he could turn the guy.

Kerk had 3+ minutes of riding time halfway through the 2nd period, and appeared to be making no progress on top, and this board was prepared to rupture. Then Kerk finally gets a turn, and then the pin. So maybe it's not completely straightforward to decide when to stop give trying to turn the opponent. That's all I'm saying.
Wait, are you trying to say the guy on the mat -- the one doing the actual wrestling -- might know what he's doing and have a better feel for the opponent?

Blasphemy.

can’t afford anymore losses anytime soon as far as other teams upsetting us. We need some help.

Can Kerk beat Orndorff? Given that he's beaten him 10-2 and 11-3 in their only two matchups, my Magic 8-Ball says, "It is likely."

Reactions: therod and mcpat
What on God's green Earth are you talking about? There's not even a Singleton in any bracket.

If it's an autocorrect from Gable and your analysis is "he just has to wrestle loose, fast and get singles" then I assume you're just a football fan jumping in for this weekend lol.
Stevenson. Spell check.

did you have cassar winning mr wrestling iq? Don’t think so.

yes kerk can win. Lightweight and fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT