ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Session 1 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

We had 7 guys win and those 7 collected 8.5 bonus points.

Iowa and Michigan each had 8 guys win and their 8 collected 4.5 bonus points.

I know it feels like we left a point out there, but we did really well on bonus in the first round, at least compared to our competition.

Also @js8793 Are you here to tell us that nothing is wrong with Hildebrandt and this is what he's always been and he still has a chance in wrestlebacks?

Reactions: ccdiver
Can Kerk beat Orndorff? Given that he's beaten him 10-2 and 11-3 in their only two matchups, my Magic 8-Ball says, "It is likely."
We need bonus that is for sure. No getting caught though.

How many did Iowa have at this time last year out of curiosity
As was already stated, Iowa had 19 last year after the first round, but we had 17 at this time, so don't be concerned about our total... it's a different year!

*Now if you want to be concerned about the fact that last year Robbie Howard won his first round match and Brady majored his guy in round 1, I won't argue with you. :)

Reactions: mcpat
Hildebrandt and berge losing in first round really hurts. We need bonus points this next round again from all of our guys. After that it is a toss up regarding bonus points since most of our guys keep it close..
berge and hildebrandt need to win at least 2 if not 3 for us to have a chance at team title. Beau needs to get lucky be sasso but that is doubtful and needs to win at least 2 in wrestle backs as well.

can kerk beat singleton. It is possible if he wrestles loose and fast and gets singles.

can’t afford anymore losses anytime soon as far as other teams upsetting us. We need some help.
This may honestly be the dumbest post I've ever read on here.

Glad I stayed off the board until after the opening round. It was all pretty much predictable what was going to happen here today. It’s like clockwork every year. Soon as we suffer a loss or two, some start calling for our demise, start figuring out what we are gonna NEED to dig ourselves out of a hole, telling us what what weights are weak…. Blah blah blah blah. …. Wanna know what I think? I think we are….

RIGHT ON SCHEDULE FOR ANOTHER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Thanks for your input. What exactly is wrong with it. You do know how scoring works for the next several rounds right?

we have an excellent chance to win but you are selling Michigan and iowa short. 8 guys is a lot and they have proven strong top to bottom.

Last edited:
Anyone with a bit of time on their hands want to give us the next round opponents and seeds for Michigan and Iowa?

According to my Math, Iowa has 12.5.

They advanced 8 and got a tech from ADS, pin from Murin, major from Warner. Everything else was decision. Did someone get DQed in their match and we missed it?
You’re correct, Track was wrong and just updated.

125 - Ashton, Stanford
133 - Koderhand, Navy
141 - Kinner, Rider
149 - Sasso, tOSU
157 - Holschlag, UNI
174 - Kemp, Cal Poly
184 - Bolen, VT
197 - Aiello, Virginny
285 - Orndorff, tOSU

To add the next round (@5q )
<assuming no upsets either way on the PSU side>

125 loser of #15 Teske (UNI) vs #2 Arajau (Corn)

133 winner of #8 Foley (MSU) vs #9 Colaicco (Penn)

141 winner of #8 Willits (OrSt) vs #9 Hart (Mizz)

149 winner of #19 Thomas (NW) vs #30 Keller (Penn)

157 loser of #15 Lovett (CMU) vs #2 Deakin (NW)

174 winner of #9 Labriola (Neb) vs #25 Nijenhuis (Pur)

184 winner of #7 Romero (aOSU) vs #10 Venz

197 winner of #8 Deprez (Bing) #9 Caffey (MSU)

H winner of #5 Hendrickson (wyo) vs #12 Lance (Neb)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5q and ccdiver
The difference is, Gable Steveson, Olympic champion, is not locked in a serious battle for an NCAA team title, and he can afford to mess around with little likelihood of damaging the team's chances.

If Nick tried to ride him til the end and gave up a late escape, people would have been screaming that he should have let him up and taken him down to get the tech. If he chose either strategy and got the TF, no one would have said a damned thing. It's all hindsight. Sometimes sh*t doesn't work out.

CStar totally broke him.

To add the next round (@5q )
<assuming no upsets either way on the PSU side>

125 loser of #15 Teske (UNI) vs #2 Arajau (Corn)

133 winner of #8 Foley (MSU) vs #9 Colaicco (Penn)

141 winner of #8 Willits (OrSt) vs #9 Hart (Mizz)

149 winner of #19 Thomas (NW) vs #30 Keller (Penn)

157 loser of #15 Lovett (CMU) vs #2 Deakin (NW)

174 winner of #9 Labriola (Neb) vs #25 Nijenhuis (Pur)

184 winner of #7 Romero (aOSU) vs #10 Venz

197 winner of #8 Deprez (Bing) #9 Caffey (MSU)

H winner of #5 Hendrickson (wyo) vs #12 Lance (Neb)
Obviously contingent upon actually showing up and wrestling well, but Berge has a great path back.

Eierman by DEC over 31 seed
Marinelli by DEC over the 30 seed
Young by DEC over the 24 seed
Kemerer by DEC over the 28 seed
Cassioppi by DEC over the 30 seed

Ouch! Gotta think Iowa fans were looking for a bit more bonus (than none) there!

Thanks for your input. What exactly is wrong with it. You do know how scoring works for the next several rounds right?
Yes, I've competed and coached at this level. You do realize in all likelihood Drew and Brady were likely losing next round regardless and that they would've earned 1 point each for winning those matches in the round of 32. While neither looked good, both of their tournaments were always going to be dictated by how they performed in the wrestlebacks. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Ouch! Gotta think Iowa fans were looking for a bit more bonus (than none) there!
Young was expected, that's how he wrestles. Eierman, Cass, Kem have obvious limiting injuries. Marinelli ... yeah, that was weird, he should have bonused that guy.

I hate the complaining about not getting the TF.

If you complain about not getting the major - Yes. 4 minutes of RT and a 7 point victory is frustrating. But once the major is there, I've got no complaints about working for the fall. If you don't get it - .5 points lost, big deal. Some of the time you get a turn anyway and even a 2 point NF is worth 2 TDs in the let-em-up-take-em-down scenario. You work for the pin. If you look at it analytically, if you only get the pin 1 out of every 3 times I would say you are breaking even.

Tournament scoring and the format is not difficult to figure out, but year after year the insanity continues. A guy we expect to maybe score 4-5 points may only score 2-3 and some people fall apart. Meanwhile Micic is a “stud” for UM and may be gone early tomorrow.

We’ve got 2 tricky 1/4s. If our studs do close to what they are seeded to do - even if a Carter or Kerk lose their 1/4s - we’ll be more than okay. And just imagine the damage one of them would do in the consis. Some people just focus on us and don’t realize the other contenders will have guys dropping into the consis left and right tonight and tomorrow morning.

After seeing how the Iowa heavy hitters are physically struggling, Michigan is the true threat. That said, they won’t be close to our bonus potential and high end finish potential.

BB, Berge, and Hilde may not have a lot of 'offense' but they are being aggressive searching for their openings - check them out as they are always pursuing. Just got to give the other guy some credit for their base defense or style that doesn't provide the angle our guys like. Just when there is an opening there is a tie-up that blocks it. Not everyone can just shoot, which means probably some bad shots, and get away with it. I am frustrated as well but give the kids a break. Let's get 'em on the back side. The Big did get beat up today but let's see where everything ends up... On another note, it was fun hearing Cenzo coach a little. I think Stanford showed up OK this afternoon.

Hildebrandt and berge losing in first round really hurts. We need bonus points this next round again from all of our guys. After that it is a toss up regarding bonus points since most of our guys keep it close..
berge and hildebrandt need to win at least 2 if not 3 for us to have a chance at team title. Beau needs to get lucky be sasso but that is doubtful and needs to win at least 2 in wrestle backs as well.

can kerk beat singleton. It is possible if he wrestles loose and fast and gets singles.

can’t afford anymore losses anytime soon as far as other teams upsetting us. We need some help.
And it seems like we usually get that help...at NCAA.

Yes, I've competed and coached at this level. You do realize in all likelihood Drew and Brady were likely losing next round regardless and that they would've earned 1 point each for winning those matches in the round of 32. While neither looked good, both of their tournaments were always going to be dictated by how they performed in the wrestlebacks. Relax and enjoy the ride.
I am relaxed so stop calling people or there posts stupid. If you have wrestled like most of us have, you know how deep Michigan is this year and how experienced iowa is. We do not have the bonus point makers in the deep rounds like we used too. To say that those losses didn’t hurt because next round they face number 1 is foolish.
This puts a lot of pressure on them now and they need to step up. I think berge can but hildebrandt is a mystery.

we have a good chance to win it all but look at other teams points potential which are greater than ours.

BB, Berge, and Hilde may not have a lot of 'offense' but they are being aggressive searching for their openings - check them out as they are always pursuing. Just got to give the other guy some credit for their base defense or style that doesn't provide the angle our guys like. Just when there is an opening there is a tie-up that blocks it. Not everyone can just shoot, which means probably some bad shots, and get away with it. I am frustrated as well but give the kids a break. Let's get 'em on the back side. The Big did get beat up today but let's see where everything ends up... On another note, it was fun hearing Cenzo coach a little. I think Stanford showed up OK this afternoon.
What was Cenzo saying?

we have a good chance to win it all but look at other teams points potential which are greater than ours.

Only Iowa and NC State have greater points potential than Penn State, mainly because they qualified 10 wrestlers.

For all the talk about PSU not being offensive, we finished up the first round with the most individual match points among all teams (20 more than Iowa who had an extra entry, and 9 more than Michigan who had the same). We also finished tied for most techs (1) and most falls (2) for the round. Seems the team is pretty offensive, even if a couple were tentative. I'd imagine nobody is more disappointed in their 1st round performance than Drew and Brady.

Team​
Match Points​
1​
Penn State​
98​
2​
Michigan​
89​
3​
Iowa​
78​
4​
Cornell​
69​
5​
Oregon State​
62​
5​
Northern Iowa​
62​

Tournament scoring and the format is not difficult to figure out, but year after year the insanity continues. A guy we expect to maybe score 4-5 points may only score 2-3 and some people fall apart. Meanwhile Micic is a “stud” for UM and may be gone early tomorrow.

We’ve got 2 tricky 1/4s. If our studs do close to what they are seeded to do - even if a Carter or Kerk lose their 1/4s - we’ll be more than okay. And just imagine the damage one of them would do in the consis. Some people just focus on us and don’t realize the other contenders will have guys dropping into the consis left and right tonight and tomorrow morning.

After seeing how the Iowa heavy hitters are physically struggling, Michigan is the true threat. That said, they won’t be close to our bonus potential and high end finish potential.
This. Tomorrow's the day. You can't win the title today, and it's also pretty hard to lose it today unless there is an injury. If we have 6 on the top side after today and 5 on the top side and 6 alive tomorrow night, I would say we're in a really good position to make Saturday a victory lap. This is the NCAAs - that is really, really hard to do but we seem to be able to do this consistently.

Yet every year, people freak out whenever somebody misses on a 1/2 point.

Hard to get bonus when ur just trying to survive

Glad I stayed off the board until after the opening round. It was all pretty much predictable what was going to happen here today. It’s like clockwork every year. Soon as we suffer a loss or two, some start calling for our demise, start figuring out what we are gonna NEED to dig ourselves out of a hole, telling us what what weights are weak…. Blah blah blah blah. …. Wanna know what I think? I think we are….

RIGHT ON SCHEDULE FOR ANOTHER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!
I wasn't worried, it was clear they trained right through the first round.

Red got all he could handle from The CMU Kid. A lot of B1G Wrestlers, especially Seniors, showing the wear and tear of that grind.
I watched Simon (the CMU kid) wrestle and almost beat Eierman at the National Duals. He turned Eierman for 4 two times and was up 10-2 at one point. Eierman barely came back to narrowly beat him. He's dangerous!

What was Cenzo saying?
on one of his kids who just got taken down (to go down by 2) in front of him - he yelled '20 seconds' (left in the match) but the kid was thoroughly wrapped up and not moving anywhere. But you could also see some emotion every once in awhile (compared to Cael)

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I’m hoping the clear error in team scoring will be fixed (Iowa with 2 extra points). The NCAA and Flo still haven’t caught on.

Next Matches for Michigan, Iowa and Penn State:

125:
Mich: 1 Suriano has 17 Noto in champ bracket.
Iowa: 13 Ayala has 29 Manchio and then loser of 3 Glory / 14 Camacho in consi bracket.
PSU: 16 Hildebrandt has 33 Ashton and then prob 15 Teske in consi bracket.

133:
Mich: 6 Ragusin has 11 Turner in champ bracket.
Iowa: 5 ADS has 12 Phillippi in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 RBY has 16 Koderhart in champ bracket.

Mich: 24 Micic has 25 Young and then loser of 10 Bergeland and 26 Tal Shahar in consi bracket.
Iowa: 2 Eierman has 15 Clarke in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 Lee has 16 Kinner in champ bracket.

149:
Mich: N/A
Iowa: 8 Murin has 9 Gfeller in champ bracket.
PSU: 13 Bartlett has 4 Sasso in champ bracket.

Mich and Iowa: 8 Lewan has 9 Young in champ bracket.
PSU: 16 Berge has 33 Holschlag and then likely 15 Lovett (CMU).

165:
Mich: 6 Amine has 11 Olejnik in champ bracket.
Iowa: 4 Marinelli has 19 McCoy in champ bracket.
PSU: N/A

174:
Mich: 3 Massa has 19 Flitz in champ bracket.
Iowa: 5 Kemerer has 12 DeVos in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 CStar has 16 Kemp in champ bracket.

184:
Mich: 1 Amine has 16 Geer in champ bracket.
Iowa: 18 Assad has 31 Burkhart and then likely 16 Geer in consi bracket.
PSU: 2 Brooks has 15 Bolen in champ bracket.

197:
Mich: 4 Brucki has 13 Wooley in champ bracket.
Iowa: 6 Warner has 11 Penola in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 Dean has 17 Aiello in champ bracket.

285:
Mich: 7 Parris has 10 Traxler in champ bracket.
Iowa: 3 Cassioppi has 14 Luffman in champ bracket.
PSU: 4 Kerkvliet has 13 Orndorff in champ bracket.

It's a fine line. Willie and others hate stalling from on top. I get their point but disagree with the remedy.

I think there is a middle ground. Riding from on top is a skill and it is (as it should be) rewarded.

I believe you should not/can not be called for stalling on top until after the top wrestler has talied a full minute of riding time. After, yes controlling but not working for back points should result in a stalemate or in the right circumstances stalling. After 1 min if RT the bottom guy should not get a point for an escape.

The hard part is what if you have a tie match and a rideout wins it for the top man - say he has 30 sec of RT with 40 seconds to go? Stalling from top or awarding an escape point could lose the match for the top man. Did the bottom guy really deserve that point?

As much as RBYs trapping the leg won him the Fix match last year, triggers some critics, it was quite an impressive display of skill. Fix is a world-class wrestler and if he wants to win he needs to earn the escape in that situation, not be gifted the win for displaying inferior skills from bottom.
Thats BS and why they need to eliminate riding time. Top stalling is more prevalent than bottom stalling now

We had 7 guys win and those 7 collected 8.5 bonus points.

Iowa and Michigan each had 8 guys win and their 8 collected 4.5 bonus points.

I know it feels like we left a point out there, but we did really well on bonus in the first round, at least compared to our competition.
with Iowa's Triage team of Eirman, Kemmer and Cassopi those guys would have been counted on for plenty of bonus but based on their physical condition they are just looking to survive out there. The only guy they have that can generate the bonus is ADS. The Bull like his usual timid self at the big dance. I think couple of the Michigan pretenders go out in this round like Lewan, Ragusin and possibly Cam Amine. They are on borrowed time!

ADVERTISEMENT