ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Session 1 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Hildebrandt and berge losing in first round really hurts. We need bonus points this next round again from all of our guys. After that it is a toss up regarding bonus points since most of our guys keep it close..
berge and hildebrandt need to win at least 2 if not 3 for us to have a chance at team title. Beau needs to get lucky be sasso but that is doubtful and needs to win at least 2 in wrestle backs as well.

can kerk beat singleton. It is possible if he wrestles loose and fast and gets singles.

can’t afford anymore losses anytime soon as far as other teams upsetting us. We need some help.
The FUQ? We suddenly going to get out bonused by both UM and Iowa from here on out? Our guys know what’s at stake. I expect the aggression and bonus hunting to be ratcheted up even more tonight, can our competition say the same?

on one of his kids who just got taken down (to go down by 2) in front of him - he yelled '20 seconds' (left in the match) but the kid was thoroughly wrapped up and not moving anywhere. But you could also see some emotion every once in awhile (compared to Cael)
Or ed

Next Matches for Michigan, Iowa and Penn State:

125:
Mich: 1 Suriano has 17 Noto in champ bracket.
Iowa: 13 Ayala has 29 Manchio and then loser of 3 Glory / 14 Camacho in consi bracket.
PSU: 16 Hildebrandt has 33 Ashton and then prob 15 Teske in consi bracket.

133:
Mich: 6 Ragusin has 11 Turner in champ bracket.
Iowa: 5 ADS has 12 Phillippi in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 RBY has 16 Koderhart in champ bracket.

Mich: 24 Micic has 25 Young and then loser of 10 Bergeland and 26 Tal Shahar in consi bracket.
Iowa: 2 Eierman has 15 Clarke in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 Lee has 16 Kinner in champ bracket.

149:
Mich: N/A
Iowa: 8 Murin has 9 Gfeller in champ bracket.
PSU: 13 Bartlett has 4 Sasso in champ bracket.

Mich and Iowa: 8 Lewan has 9 Young in champ bracket.
PSU: 16 Berge has 33 Holschlag and then likely 15 Lovett (CMU).

165:
Mich: 6 Amine has 11 Olejnik in champ bracket.
Iowa: 4 Marinelli has 19 McCoy in champ bracket.
PSU: N/A

174:
Mich: 3 Massa has 19 Flitz in champ bracket.
Iowa: 5 Kemerer has 12 DeVos in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 CStar has 16 Kemp in champ bracket.

184:
Mich: 1 Amine has 16 Geer in champ bracket.
Iowa: 18 Assad has 31 Burkhart and then likely 16 Geer in consi bracket.
PSU: 2 Brooks has 15 Bolen in champ bracket.

197:
Mich: 4 Brucki has 13 Wooley in champ bracket.
Iowa: 6 Warner has 11 Penola in champ bracket.
PSU: 1 Dean has 17 Aiello in champ bracket.

285:
Mich: 7 Parris has 10 Traxler in champ bracket.
Iowa: 3 Cassioppi has 14 Luffman in champ bracket.
PSU: 4 Kerkvliet has 13 Orndorff in champ bracket.
ADS vs Philippi and Eierman vs Clarke are going to be matches to watch to see whether the B1G lightweight bloodbath this afternoon was a mirage or not.

Reactions: 1AA and mcpat
The FUQ? We suddenly going to get out bonused by both UM and Iowa from here on out? Our guys know what’s at stake. I expect the aggression and bonus hunting to be ratcheted up even more tonight, can our competition say the same?
Yes tonight bonus by all 3 teams and other schools with high ranked guys will bonus. After that it comes down to some Bonus and mostly close nail biting matches. Young and lewan wrestling each other tonight helps the team race.

ADS vs Philippi and Eierman vs Clarke are going to be matches to watch to see whether the B1G lightweight bloodbath this afternoon was a mirage or not.
Phillippi beating DeSanto would be something, considering the 13-5 score last year. He even tried the One-Armed RBY trick, and it did him no good. And DeSanto had a hand injury, IIRC on the hand Phillippi likes to work the Russian tie on.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Who do we want to see win the 8 Lewan / 9 Young matchup tonight?

The loser wouldn’t face Berge until the consolation final. The winner then faces Carr and, after losing that bout, would potentially meet Berge in the R12. Berge potentially gets to eliminate the winner as he becomes an AA for the first time.

Phillippi beating DeSanto would be something, considering the 13-5 score last year. He even tried the One-Armed RBY trick, and it did him no good. And DeSanto had a hand injury, IIRC on the hand Phillippi likes to work the Russian tie on.
I use that match as my example of why the arm behind the back needs to stop being talked about as an advantage, it's obviously not. ADS can still bully his way to the tricep. The issue is RBY is too quick and ADS knows he's asking to get taken down via go behind if he moves forward.

125:
Iowa: 13 Ayala has 29 Manchio and then loser of 3 Glory / 14 Camacho in consi bracket.

133:

Mich: 24 Micic has 25 Young and then loser of 10 Bergeland and 26 Tal Shahar in consi bracket.

149:

165:

174:

184:

197:

285:
Thanks. Very helpful.

The loser wouldn’t face Berge until the consolation final. The winner then faces Carr and, after losing that bout, would potentially meet Berge in the R12. Berge potentially gets to eliminate the winner as he becomes an AA for the first time.
Could be either but berge has had more success against young.

Reactions: mcpat

I would think we want Young to win tonight. We need bonus from RBY, CStar, Brooks, Dean and Kerk. I don't think NLee bonuses Kinner as their last match was close. Having Berge and Hildebrandt bonus tonight will be huge.

Hildebrandt gets the 33 seed Ashton and then Teske. If gets past Teske, it’ll then be McKee/Schroder/DeAugustino/Mastrogiovainni. Not the easiest draw, but it is nationals after all.

Berge gets the 33 seed Holschlag then 15 seed Lovett (CMU). Win that and it’s likely the loser of Humphreys and Robb. Win there and he’ll likely have to beat 13 Thomas or 12 Wright to be an AA. This looks doable to me, but we’ll obviously see.
It all depends if they actually put forth an effort to wrestle. If they are planning on taking zero shots again I would be OK if they simply MFF.

• Haha
Reactions: PAwrestling

125:

133:

149:

165:

174:

184:

197:

285:
So Iowa is favored in all but 157 (faces Michigan). Since we can’t have them both lose , do we want Michigan to lose here ?

So Iowa is favored in all but 157 (faces Michigan). Since we can’t have them both lose , do we want Michigan to lose here ?
No the scenario with berge facing young first is more promising

Berge is 3-0 in his last 3 matches against Young and Young hasn't looked close to getting a takedown yet. I'll prefer that draw over Lewan who did beat Brady last year.

Hildebrandt and berge losing in first round really hurts. We need bonus points this next round again from all of our guys. After that it is a toss up regarding bonus points since most of our guys keep it close..
berge and hildebrandt need to win at least 2 if not 3 for us to have a chance at team title. Beau needs to get lucky be sasso but that is doubtful and needs to win at least 2 in wrestle backs as well.

can kerk beat singleton. It is possible if he wrestles loose and fast and gets singles.

can’t afford anymore losses anytime soon as far as other teams upsetting us. We need some help.
We need help? Really? We lead the pack at the first turn and we r in trouble?

Well, OK then. So you see PSU, if all the dominoes fall our way, winning by what? A half a point or maybe a point?

Last edited:
I would think we want Young to win tonight. We need bonus from RBY, CStar, Brooks, Dean and Kerk. I don't think NLee bonuses Kinner as their last match was close. Having Berge and Hildebrandt bonus tonight will be huge.
I think Nick gets at least a major tonight. I know the first match was close but I think Lee may have been under the weather.

Reactions: nitlion6
Berge is 3-0 in his last 3 matches against Young and Young hasn't looked close to getting a takedown yet. I'll prefer that draw over Lewan who did beat Brady last year.
Lewan also beat Brady in SV at Big10s a couple of weeks ago. I like the Young matchup better, too.

We need help? Really? We lead the pack at the first turn and we r in trouble?

Well, OK then. So you see PSU if all the dominoes fall our winning by what? A half a point or maybe a point?
Think it is going to be tight. Always individuals from other conferences add chaos to the team competition. We knew going in that having 3 wrestlers in the number 1 bracket sucks. Hildebrandt getting nova in first round was a tough draw when you consider he is ranked 17th with 1 loss for goodness sake. Kerk getting Stevenson in same bracket is brutal but I have hope for kerk.

so we will see. It will be exciting and as nerve racking as playing osu on football. I think we can do it.

Yes tonight bonus by all 3 teams and other schools with high ranked guys will bonus. After that it comes down to some Bonus and mostly close nail biting matches. Young and lewan wrestling each other tonight helps the team race.
All of our key cogs delivered this afternoon. RBY, Lee, Cstar, AB, Dean, and Kerk all contributed to building the lead. Its been this way since 2011. When competition ramps up our guys still score points. I’m not sure UM and Iowa are ready to do that all the way to Saturday Night.

Best match of session #1 hands down.
I couldn't believe that Jacques lost that bout. They went out of bounds with 6 sec in the TB. All he had to do was ride Lewan for 2 sec after the whistle start, and he wins on RT. Lewan got out in 1 sec!

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Man the NCAA’s really brings out the goofballs!

im-here-im-outside.gif

I think Nick gets at least a major tonight. I know the first match was close but I think Lee may have been under the weather.
I hope you're right but don't see it. Kinner has been majored only once in his career, and that was back in 2019. He doesn't generate a ton of offense, but his neutral defense is pretty good, and he's tough on top.

Our guys need to keep wrestling well and scoring bonus, sure. But nothing is f*cked here, dude.

Coming in, according to seeds, PSU had a lead and some cushion. Nothing in the first session changed any of that. Two 16 seeds lost. PSU got 8.5 bonus points and is leading the team race.

Right on track. Just have to keep wrestling well.

I hope you're right but don't see it. Kinner has been majored only once in his career, and that was back in 2019. He doesn't generate a ton of offense, but his neutral defense is pretty good, and he's tough on top.
This is all true. Tonight I don’t see Nick on bottom unless he gets taken down or Kinner takes top which I don’t see happening.

Our matchups tonight aren't bonus friendly for Aaron and Nick.

True. Just a quick look at wrestlestat, Kinner has not given up bonus in his 14 non-redshirt losses. Bolen has given up bonus (a pin his true freshman year) just once in 22 non-redshirt losses. (That will make it even better when Lee and Brooks do get bonus...)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT