ADVERTISEMENT

Rasir Bolton on Why he left Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm off base, but I think an even bigger issue is how (according to the story), PSU had Bolton go to a team sports psychologist and was being taught how to deal with Chambers’ personality type. I mean what the eff is that for a response. I don't know about anyone else, but PSU just does a very poor job of damage control and PR. I wonder if the athletics program can get through a full-year without negative/bad press. I highly doubt it.
yeah...the family is claiming he didn't handle it directly and very well. The problem for chambers is that it doesn't do him any good to get into those details. that is a loser move. So all he can do is what he and Sandy did: apologize and hope it dies down. But there certainly has been damage done.

Reactions: scrivener
good post....but "getting Jewed" is more akin to the N-word. In this case, it would be more like being at a dinner party and someone saying that they called the exterminator to get rid of cockroaches in your house. Would that offend your wife?
Your example isn’t even close to equivalent.

There is a difference between making a statement of fact, and using a poor/offensive analogy.

Maybe I'm off base, but I think an even bigger issue is how (according to the story), PSU had Bolton go to a team sports psychologist and was being taught how to deal with Chambers’ personality type. I mean what the eff is that for a response. I don't know about anyone else, but PSU just does a very poor job of damage control and PR. I wonder if the athletics program can get through a full-year without negative/bad press. I highly doubt it.
Agreed. Penn State found yet another way to screw this up when it was a pretty straight forward issue to deal with on the front end.

Here's the deal. If you don't have anything good to say, don't post. No posts denigrating any player will be tolerated.

Reactions: Creek Side
Agree that the term noose may not be the best choice if words, but hangings are not exclusive to blacks. For thousands of years and by many many cultures around the world, people or their body parts were hung using nooses by their enemies or during lawful executions.

As someone else said, is it okay to say a team got whipped or were gassed? Jews and other holocaust descendents would be especially sensitive to those words but I have not heard the outcry.

also, the term and act of slavery has also been around for thousands of years in every corner of the earth ( Vikings, Irish slaves, African tribes, Chinese... just to name a few ) so why is it that blacks seem to be the only victims? I am fully aware that this is ore recent in the short history of the colonies and United States, but why is there a limit on what history is still relevant. WW2 is less than 100 years old, but we are now friendly with Japan, Germany, and Italy. Is it fair to be angry at a 8 year old Japanese girl for her great grand father bombing Pearl Harbor?

Exactly. Ask yourself, where is the line? Is it ok to say “n-rigged” simply because it’s just a slang? Certain people that I grew up with or went to PSU with wouldn’t have thought twice to use that term.

“Sticks and stones”, and whatnot, and you’re a “snowflake” if you don’t like it?

I just try to be a good person and not use phrases that hurt others. If “noose” is hurtful to others, shouldn’t we just try to take it out of our vocabularies?

I’ve had a couple of instances where people have talked about “getting Jewed” in front of my Jewish wife. Is she a snowflake for getting offended? Should we just be forced to deal with it, since it’s just words, or a slang? Or could our country (and world) become a better place from moving away from those types of slangs?
Or you let the person know you find it offensive and hopefully they remove it from their vocabulary and everyone moves on.

[QUOTE="nitlion93, post: 4953130, member: 5670"

As someone else said, is it okay to say a team got whipped or were gassed? Jews and other holocaust descendents would be especially sensitive to those words but I have not heard the outcry.
/QUOTE]
Good f'ing God. If a coach made reference to being gassed to a Jewish player, that coach would be fired immediately. What is wrong with you?

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

/QUOTE]
Good f'ing God. If a coach made reference to being gassed to a Jewish player, that coach would be fired immediately. What is wrong with you?
I think he was talking about being gassed as in being tired. Good lord.

/QUOTE]

Context. Typically when a player is referred to as being "gassed" it's in the vein "run out of gas(oline)/fuel" or tired. Big difference between that and being stuffed into a gas chamber to be asphyxiated. Don't see how the two can be confused.

Last edited:
Here’s another problem with this whole thing....an excerpt from the story:

“Before NASCAR banned the Confederate flag and was immediately rocked by a noose impersonating a door pulldown in the garage of its only Black driver.”

Um, no that wasn’t a noose, but don’t let facts keep the media from maintaining a false narrative to stir the pot.

“Before NASCAR banned the Confederate flag and was immediately rocked by a noose impersonating a door pulldown in the garage of its only Black driver.”

Um, no that wasn’t a noose, but don’t let facts keep the media from maintaining a false narrative to stir the pot.
Even if the story didn't mention the NASCAR example, nothing changes. PC screwed up big time, and PSU, as usual, did nothing positive in damage control and taking positive measures.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Context. Typically when a player is referred to as being "gassed" it's in the vein "run out of gas(oline)/fuel" or tired. Big difference between that and being stuffed into a gas chamber to be asphyxiated. Don't see how the to can be confused.
Then he should have phrased his post better. Even if used in the way you are referring to, that is a poor analogy to "a noose around your neck" to a black person. Would you agree?

There is a big difference between the n-word and getting "jewed" vs. "noose". In this instance, I think Bolton blew this out of proportion. People today, especially younger people view everything as black vs white when it is not.

exactly. There is no questioning what "n-word" and getting "jewed" means. Noose is something that has been used for thousands of years and many people don't think of it at all in racist terms. Basically what is happening right now is a re-defining of vocabulary of what is and is not accepted. Which in the end can be fine. The problem now is, it is being made up as we go along with unknown rules.

There is more to this story than is out there. Bolton (and his parents) obviously think that Chambers is a racist based on that article. Seems that one choice of words is difficult to make that leap to racist considering the commonality of the term. So have to believe that there is more to the issues around Bolton (and family) with Chambers that have led to something like this.

Reactions: Creek Side

If this isn't a noose, it's doing a pretty good job impersonating one:

merlin_173922462_3e9afdbe-b033-4550-9579-e9fff3311b4c-jumbo.jpg

Context. Typically when a player is referred to as being "gassed" it's in the vein "run out of gas(oline)/fuel" or tired. Big difference between that and being stuffed into a gas chamber to be asphyxiated. Don't see how the to can be confused.
Not sure how that was confusing either but maybe there are people out there who think Chambers actually tried to remove the noose from Bolton’s neck.

Then he should have phrased his post better. Even if used in the way you are referring to, that is a poor analogy to "a noose around your neck" to a black person. Would you agree?

Agreed. In the contest the poster provided, you won't find Jews getting offended.

Not attempting to hijack the thread but had to comment on this: I thought Acton resigned, under fire, after her authority was questioned by the legislature and some protesters showed up at her home. She hasn't appeared at any of DeWine's (the whiner) press conferences since her resignation. Unless she only resigned from the virus task force and I'm mistaken. Hearing her comments over several press conferences for Columbus I'd expect to be suited up in Tyvek with a mask and hand sanitizer through my funeral, in 20 years.

I agree....but you can't ruin a person's career who has been working to help the situation for decades for one screw up. The message being sent is "wow, one screw up and my friends throw me under the bus? With friends like these, who need enemies?"

I also think, for sports, they are on the edge on a new normal. People are realizing they don't need sports. Hockey set their sport back five years with their strike. We potentially looking at the same thing but probably x 10.

I am looking at buying a $10k hydrofoil. Poeple I know are buying 80 inch TVs. My neighbor, who knows Amy Acton well (the state of ohio dept of health leader) told me Saturday that she told him we will be wearing masks this time next year. People are taking their vacation, sports, travel, entertainment money and investing it differently. a full year without sports and they are all in trouble. Will they go out of biz? I don't think so....but a 25% loss of revenues will be devastating. sports were already beginning to suffer. I've got three kids under the age of 30 and they wouldn't spend a penny on large sports events like PSU, tOSU, Steelers or Browns. They just don't care.

Even if the story didn't mention the NASCAR example, nothing changes. PC screwed up big time, and PSU, as usual, did nothing positive in damage control and taking positive measures.
It was irresponsible of the writer and they did it just to further agitate. Screwed up big time is a bit of an exaggeration. We’re creating a world that no one is going to be able to live in. The thought police will come for you next.

It was in there before NASCAR’s only black driver was in there. It was also not the only one. It’s a pull down for the door. The writer having that in the article is the same as a writer nowadays calling the Sandusky situation the Penn State scandal....it didn’t happen the way they wanted it to happen, but they’re not going to let it go. It’s irresponsible and furthers the divisiveness, but that’s their intent.

That is 100% a noose and not a “door pull down”. I worked in a warehouse with a door pull down. It was a piece of rope with a KNOT at the end. That’s a NOOSE. Period. Full stop. Now it may not have been directed at the driver if it had been there for awhile, bu that doesn’t change what it is.

We now live in an era where people are too easily offended by even the smallest unintended words or phrases. I think we all have used a word or phrase that could be misinterpreted. I know I have. My wife has an Uncle who is blind. I can't tell you how many time I said to him when leaving his apartment "See you next time Uncle Harrold" Was I being offensive? No It is just a commonly used phrase. Context means something, not just a word or phrase by itself.

It was in there before NASCAR’s only black driver was in there. It was also not the only one. It’s a pull down for the door. The writer having that in the article is the same as a writer nowadays calling the Sandusky situation the Penn State scandal....it didn’t happen the way they wanted it to happen, but they’re not going to let it go. It’s irresponsible and furthers the divisiveness, but that’s their intent.

Someone thought it would be funny to make the “door pull down” a noose. It’s still a noose. That takes time to tie and was done quite deliberately. If that’s how the door pull downs were made at that racetrack then all or most of the garages would have them and not just that one. Someone did it as a sick joke - doesn’t change the fact that it’s a noose.

Not attempting to hijack the thread but had to comment on this: I thought Acton resigned, under fire, after her authority was questioned by the legislature and some protesters showed up at her home. She hasn't appeared at any of DeWine's (the whiner) press conferences since her resignation. Unless she only resigned from the virus task force and I'm mistaken. Hearing her comments over several press conferences for Columbus I'd expect to be suited up in Tyvek with a mask and hand sanitizer through my funeral, in 20 years.
As I understand it, she is working and helping behind the scenes. She didn't like being the face of the govt actions and was getting a lot of tough talk. She resigned but deWine convinced her to stay on and help out, at least for some period of time. that is, of course, rumor and speculation on my part. I've never seen anything "official". BTW, she was a homecoming queen at her high school. the people I know that work with her say she is very, very good but uber-conservative in terms of her medical recommendations.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Not sure how that was confusing either but maybe there are people out there who think Chambers actually tried to remove the noose from Bolton’s neck.

When using "confused" I was referring to the comparison of a player being gassed and a Jew being sent to the gas chamber to be exterminated. The two aren't close and anyone with half a brain realizes that.

Reactions: bison13
We now live in an era where people are too easily offended by even the smallest unintended words or phrases. I think we all have used a word or phrase that could be misinterpreted. I know I have. My wife has an Uncle who is blind. I can't tell you how many time I said to him when leaving his apartment "See you next time Uncle Harrold" Was I being offensive? No It is just a commonly used phrase. Context means something, not just a word or phrase by itself.
And then everyone says silence is compliance....but saying the wrong thing gets you fired because intent is completely ignored these days. Does anyone really want to risk saying the wrong thing?

Reactions: MaconNitt
Someone thought it would be funny to make the “door pull down” a noose. It’s still a noose. That takes time to tie and was done quite deliberately. If that’s how the door pull downs were made at that racetrack then all or most of the garages would have them and not just that one. Someone did it as a sick joke - doesn’t change the fact that it’s a noose.
As a sick joke toward what? And I believe that wasn’t the only garage that had one.

That isn't true.

That tie is simply a fish tie. The difference is the number of loops you make. Moorseville, the home of NASCAR, is near Lake Norman and everyone there has a bass boat that is top-notch; it is a bragging right as to who has the coolest bass boat. At the same time, that "loop" was documented to have been there for well over a year. Finally, the garages are blindly assigned so there was no intent to make a black person work in the garage that had the loop.

Surgeons-Loop-Knot-all-steps.jpg

33cb02fa49dbb07fdb78f7d139656572.jpg

/QUOTE]

Wow! I used to think you were just reflexively leftist. Now it seems you just might not be very bright. That was a massive swing and miss.

also, the term and act of slavery has also been around for thousands of years in every corner of the earth ( Vikings, Irish slaves, African tribes, Chinese... just to name a few ) so why is it that blacks seem to be the only victims? I am fully aware that this is ore recent in the short history of the colonies and United States, but why is there a limit on what history is still relevant. WW2 is less than 100 years old, but we are now friendly with Japan, Germany, and Italy. Is it fair to be angry at a 8 year old Japanese girl for her great grand father bombing Pearl Harbor?

Looking at Germany in particular, someone recently posted a great article that compared post-nazi Germany to post-slavery U.S. I can't remember if I saw it here or on facebook, but anyway, Germany was embarrassed by their recent Nazi history and went above and beyond to eradicate the anti-jew ideology from their culture. Meanwhile, the U.S, particularly the southern states, did a lot to preserve anti-black sentiment and behavior.

As a sick joke toward what? And I believe that wasn’t the only garage that had one.
From a NY Times article...

As part of NASCAR’s investigation, 1,684 garage areas across 29 racetracks were inspected, he said. Only 11 pull-down ropes tied into a knot were found and only one of those — the one found in Wallace’s garage — was tied in a noose, he said.

That isn't true.

That tie is simply a fish tie. The difference is the number of loops you make. Moorseville, the home of NASCAR, is near Lake Norman and everyone there has a bass boat that is top-notch; it is a bragging right as to who has the coolest bass boat. At the same time, that "loop" was documented to have been there for well over a year. Finally, the garages are blindly assigned so there was no intent to make a black person work in the garage that had the loop.

Surgeons-Loop-Knot-all-steps.jpg

33cb02fa49dbb07fdb78f7d139656572.jpg
Unbelievable. I have a "top notch bass boat" and have spent over 75 days each year fishing for the past 15 years and that knot isn't a fishing knot. I've fished with some of the premier professional bass fishermen in the world. You all blow my mind.

From a NY Times article...

As part of NASCAR’s investigation, 1,684 garage areas across 29 racetracks were inspected, he said. Only 11 pull-down ropes tied into a knot were found and only one of those — the one found in Wallace’s garage — was tied in a noose, he said.
well, your first problem is reading the new york times.

the second problem is that that "noose" was tied before Wallace was even a driver as there are several documented photos with it in the background.

Not sure why people persist in making a problem not a problem. NASCAR and the FBI took big steps and both came away and said 'nothing to it'. yet, that isn't good enough for the NYT.

And, as stated, a "noose" is simply a fishing knot. It just depends on how many times you wrap it.

sitemgr_photo_383.png

Best-Fly-Fishing-Knots-Double-Surgeons-Loop.jpg
fly-fishing-knots-stillwater-anglers.jpg

Pretty sure it was the only one, but you are correct - it was there long before the stall was assigned to Wallace. What is your source Re: more 'nooses' as pull downs?

Per the WaPo:

As many fans struggle to make sense of the sequence of events, several facts are not in dispute, at least in the view of the FBI and NASCAR:

• There was a noose in Talladega’s No. 4 stall, which Wallace’s team was assigned. The FBI referred to it as a noose four times; NASCAR President Steve Phelps referred to it as a noose several times as well.
  • It had been there for at least eight months, confirmed by grainy background footage of a video interview shot in the walkway in front of the stall in October 2019, when the Wood brothers team occupied the spot.
  • No other Talladega stall had a rope-pull fashioned like a noose.

Unbelievable. I have a "top notch bass boat" and have spent over 75 days each year fishing for the past 15 years and that knot isn't a fishing knot. I've fished with some of the premier professional bass fishermen. You all blow my mind.

total and complete horseshit^^^. do a google search for "fishing knots". I've tied that knot all my life. I make a loop and then thread it through the hook and then back over the hook. that was I can replace the hook without having to retie it. I learned it tieing flies as a young kid.

Unbelievable. I have a "top notch bass boat" and have spent over 75 days each year fishing for the past 15 years and that knot isn't a fishing knot. I've fished with some of the premier professional bass fishermen in the world. You all blow my mind.

By the way, Rex Chapman is a washed up NBA player who only recently got off drugs. He cruises tictok for videos and then posts them on Twitter to make a profit.

Again, I've tied that tie a million times for fishing and posted a dozen fishing knot diagrams that show people how to do it. You post is complete bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT