ADVERTISEMENT

Undefeated Florida State left out of College Football Playoff

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Here is a link to the article:

The corrupt hypocrites deserve every bit of criticism they have received -- DO NOT FORGET these pompous a-holes CHOSE this ridiculous bullshit rather than move the 12-Team true "playoff" structure up a year when they had a chance!
There were 5 conference champs and 4 slots to be filled. One conference champ had to be left out. The committee got it right. Florida State and the ACC were the weakest team and conference.

Reactions: wilbury
Alabama has not shown to be one of the 4 best teams over the season. They should not be in the playoff. The Auburn game should've been seen as a loss by the committee. I hate FSU but they've been ripped off. Didn't they beat LSU, Florida, Clemson, Miami and all the ACC teams? That schedule would typically be considered very tough. Didn't they beat Pitt as well?

There were 5 conference champs and 4 slots to be filled. One conference champ had to be left out. The committee got it right. Florida State and the ACC were the weakest team and conference.

Diametric opposite of what was stated as the Rationale in 2016 for keeping a Conference Champion out in favor of a team that didn't win their Conference's Championship and LOST on the field of play during regular season to the Conference Champion the Committee screwed and claimed number of losses was first deciding factor to keep a Conference Champion who beat the team they put in, out. LMFAO. The Committee hypocritically and diametrically shifted the supposed criteria they used in 2016 to screw PSU in favor of duhO$U, to allow themselves to subjectively screw FSU in favor of not one, BUT TWO TEAMS, that had more losses than FSU..... and this is fairness and objectivity in action according to you. LMFAO.

Reactions: hoflane

The corrupt hypocrites deserve every bit of criticism they have received -- DO NOT FORGET these pompous a-holes CHOSE this ridiculous bullshit rather than move the 12-Team true "playoff" structure up a year when they had a chance!
Glad to see FSU left out as it affects Michigan, Michigan would steam roll a weakened FSU. Alabama/Michigan is a better match and hopefully Alabama sends Michigan home with a loss.

Glad to see FSU left out as it affects Michigan, Michigan would steam roll a weakened FSU. Alabama/Michigan is a better match and hopefully Alabama sends Michigan home with a loss.
That logic works with other schools, but we’re talking Michigan. And Michigan loses a lot of bowl games. Yeah, Bama will beat the hell out of them, but FSU would have beaten them as well.

Reactions: joeaubie21

Again, scUM should have been playing Texas, not FSU, using the sham CFP Committee's own stated criteria - # of losses is first criteria.... teams with same # of losses are compared to each other and ranking criteria then becomes: 1) Conference Title Winner, 2) H-t-H if they played, 3) Relative Strength of schedule (i.e., Conference), 4) Intangible Criteria such as injuries.

Using those stated criteria, FSU lowest ranked undefeated Conference Champion (i.e., 3 Seed). Texas gets 4 Seed as highest ranked 1-loss team based on H-t-H win over Bama.

Hot take: FSU's resume was better than Michigan's, and were more deserving of the #1 ranking.

You just know what team would've been left out if PSU had been one of the conference champs.

Hot take: FSU's resume was better than Michigan's, and were more deserving of the #1 ranking.
FSU's resume definitely was better than any of the four who were selected; they beat LSU, Miami and Louisville, and won at Clemson and at Florida. If Travis had not been injured, they definitely would've been selected, and probably would've been the No. 1 seed.

The bitterness and anger of Norvell, the school, and the league are entirely understandable and justified, but seriously, is anyone super surprised that politics drove the choice in favor of the 800-pound SEC gorilla in the room?

I feel FSU's pain but they're not the first team to be screwed over in the process of college football's ever shifting selection standards. I know a team located in the geographic middle of the great state of Pennsylvania that has taken it in the shorts more often than the Noles ever will.

All this said, yes, I'd rather see Michigan have to beat Alabama rather than an FSU team whose offense has been hobbled by the loss of its star QB. In fact, I'm sure Michigan was secretly hoping to play the Noles rather than the Tide.

Factoring in Travis's injury to who gets selected for the playoff is so incredibly dumb I can't believe it is even a thing.

Reactions: doctornick
The bitterness and anger of Norvell, the school, and the league are entirely understandable and justified, but seriously, is anyone super surprised that politics drove the choice in favor of the 800-pound SEC gorilla in the room?

I feel FSU's pain but they're not the first team to be screwed over in the process of college football's ever shifting selection standards. I know a team located in the geographic middle of the great state of Pennsylvania that has taken it in the shorts more often than the Noles ever will.

All this said, yes, I'd rather see Michigan have to beat Alabama rather than an FSU team whose offense has been hobbled by the loss of its star QB. In fact, I'm sure Michigan was secretly hoping to play the Noles rather than the Tide.
Based on how each team played at the end of the season, except for Bama's game against Auburn, Bama definitely is trending in the right direction and Michigan is trending in the wrong direction. There's no doubt that Bama was the last team that Michigan wanted to play bcause Bama not only has more talent than Michigan, but will expect to win that game.

Reactions: crm114psu
Based on how each team played at the end of the season, except for Bama's game against Auburn,
Man, that is a pretty big "except for".

Alabama was nowhere near as deserving to be in the playoff as FSU. And Georgia wasn't even as deserving as Ohio State. The SEC is extremely overrated this year. Losing record against the other P5 conferences.

Alabama has not shown to be one of the 4 best teams over the season. They should not be in the playoff. The Auburn game should've been seen as a loss by the committee. I hate FSU but they've been ripped off. Didn't they beat LSU, Florida, Clemson, Miami and all the ACC teams? That schedule would typically be considered very tough. Didn't they beat Pitt as well?
Then FSU lost to BC and Washington is basically 6-6 using that logic
I love people are now stating how good the ACC is.

Factoring in Travis's injury to who gets selected for the playoff is so incredibly dumb I can't believe it is even a thing.
Why were evaluating the current team not the one when he was healthy. It's always been this way. Sane with March Madness. It's literally stated as being used. If the Big Ten banned Harbaugh for the year the committee could have used that to keep them out.

Man, that is a pretty big "except for".

Alabama was nowhere near as deserving to be in the playoff as FSU. And Georgia wasn't even as deserving as Ohio State. The SEC is extremely overrated this year. Losing record against the other P5 conferences.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that it's a travesty that FSU didn't get selected. The biggest travesty is that only four teams made it in the first place when every other level of college football has expanded playoffs.

After the night games on Saturday, there was a playoff game on ESPN2 between Idaho and Southern Illinois which Idaho won in OT. After winning that game, they still have to win three more games to win the championship. If lower level schools have had expanded playoffs for decades, then the big boys should have too.

Why were evaluating the current team not the one when he was healthy. It's always been this way. Sane with March Madness. It's literally stated as being used. If the Big Ten banned Harbaugh for the year the committee could have used that to keep them out.
Then why wasn't UGA selected, when they were the No. 1 ranked team for almost every week of the season? IMO, they shouldn't have been the No. 1 team throughout the season or selected, but under your rationale they ptobably should have been.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
Well, the "current team" just beat Florida and Louisville.

I happen to think evaluating teams by what actually happened on the field is a bit better than evaluating teams based on how good you think they might be if so and so doesn't play.
5-7 Florida and they looked awful against Louisville

No one that suffered through Louisville-FSU can say that what happened on the field doesn't matter otherwise Liberty should be in

Reactions: LemonEars
Then why wasn't UGA selected, when they were the No. 1 ranked team for almost every week of the season? IMO, they shouldn't have been the No. 1 team throughout the season or selected, but under your rationale they ptobably should have been.
Georgia absolutely should have been in
The goal is the best 4 not most deserving

Reactions: pennstatepelly
You just know what team would've been left out if PSU had been one of the conference champs.
That means we would have been undefeated and would have beaten Michigan and Ohio State. I doubt we would have been left out in that case but you never know.

In the case at hand the committee made the right decision. Florida State was the worst of the 5 conference champs. If Florida State (even with their hurt QB) were to play Alabama, Michigan, Texas, or Washington the betting line would probably be against Florida State by about 10 points. They were clearly the worst of the 5 conference champs. I would have picked Georgia over Texas or Washington. Once the committee picked Alabama they had to pick Texas. They didn't have to pick Washington. I think Georgia would beat Washington easily.

Actually, if I was king of the selection committee and my job was to pick the 4 most capable teams in the country, the teams with the best players and the teams that could play at the highest level, I would have picked Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama.

FSU's resume definitely was better than any of the four who were selected; they beat LSU, Miami and Louisville, and won at Clemson and at Florida. If Travis had not been injured, they definitely would've been selected, and probably would've been the No. 1 seed.
Florida State is a product of playing in the weak ACC. If Florida State played in the Big 10 East they would have had at least 3 losses.

Again, scUM should be playing Texas - they would not be playing FSU. Take a look at the CFP Rankings prior to CCGs - FSU lowest undefeated team at #4. That would remain same after CCGs - FSU should have been lowest seeded undefeated Conference Champion (i.e., 3 Seed). Texas would be 4 Seed based on H-t-H win over Bama according to the Committee's own stated criteria.

Well, it's better than the SEC if you go by what actually happened on the field. ACC won the head to head matchups with the SEC this season 6-4.
It's not though. Look deeper at those matchups. This is like when someone says an 8-4 team is good but they did you beat anyone

That means we would have been undefeated and would have beaten Michigan and Ohio State. I doubt we would have been left out in that case but you never know.

In the case at hand the committee made the right decision. Florida State was the worst of the 5 conference champs. If Florida State (even with their hurt QB) were to play Alabama, Michigan, Texas, or Washington the betting line would probably be against Florida State by about 10 points. They were clearly the worst of the 5 conference champs. I would have picked Georgia over Texas or Washington. Once the committee picked Alabama they had to pick Texas. They didn't have to pick Washington. I think Georgia would beat Washington easily.

Actually, if I was king of the selection committee and my job was to pick the 4 most capable teams in the country, the teams with the best players and the teams that could play at the highest level, I would have picked Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama.

That is not what their own Selection Criteria says - the selection criteria cited when PSU was screwed in 2016. The Committee said that duhO$U's one less loss record was all that mattered and took precedence over all the other criteria including duhO$U not having a Conference Title AND losing H-t-H to PSU in regular season. Committee said less loses trumped everything else - they are now saying the diametric opposite. It's a f'ing joke, bullshit and typical self-serving hypocrisy from these arrogant clowns.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
Based on how each team played at the end of the season, except for Bama's game against Auburn, Bama definitely is trending in the right direction and Michigan is trending in the wrong direction. There's no doubt that Bama was the last team that Michigan wanted to play bcause Bama not only has more talent than Michigan, but will expect to win that game.

Yup, Michigan playing a team with a great D and an impotent O. I think we've seen that movie before and know the ending.

Hahaha, then how do you find the "best 4"?

Tell me who you'd have in your playoff of the "best 4", and I'll tell you why you are wrong.
Same we can all tell each other we're wrong.
If you're arguing that Florida State is more deserving I'd agree but the job of the committee isn't the most deserving. They've said that for a decade now.

Well, it's better than the SEC if you go by what actually happened on the field. ACC won the head to head matchups with the SEC this season 6-4.
It's not better. See Kentucky beating #2 in the ACC Louisville. You can't just say 6-4. Dig deeper. Look at matchups.

I forgot. In your world, what happens on the field does not matter.
It absolutely matters. We all saw Louisville-FSU. On the field, FSU isn't good enough to be in over the 4 that are in. They shouldn't be ahead of Georgia or Ohio State either. This nonsense about teams have to be ranked by losses is just people being mad about 2016.

Yup, Michigan playing a team with a great D and an impotent O. I think we've seen that movie before and know the ending.
Alabama is not impotent on offense. They ran the ball right down Georgias throat and hit big play after big play passing. Milroe is also the best running quarterback in the game: Georgia could not tackle him with TWO spies on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT