ADVERTISEMENT

Rasir Bolton on Why he left Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Played the race card to get immediate eligibility... where have we seen that before? NCAA is a total joke.

How is it a joke? Chambers admitted to the noose comment. And Bolton and his family spoke up almost immediately. It's not like he made up the story or exaggerated being offended by it.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Another Penn State atheltics story in the national media for the wrong reasons.

The Undefeated Article here:

https://theundefeated.com/features/...sketball-coach-points-to-larger-ncaa-problem/
Good grief, there's no end to it! Having a "noose around your neck" is a commonly used phrase for something that's destructive in a person's life. I've used it when talking to my own kids. Did the Bolton kid really think Chambers was going to hang him for his lack of production? I'm of German extraction. When anyone talks about the Holocaust or Naziism in my presence, should I be "offended", curl up in the fetal position and howl at the moon?

I'm curious where the Chambers salary number comes from.

How is it a joke? Chambers admitted to the noose comment. And Bolton and his family spoke up almost immediately. It's not like he made up the story or exaggerated being offended by it.

No. He admitted to one word. The article does not quote a sentence only one word. Give the exact sentence and context.

need some context. so chambers once used the word "noose?" Did he say it in reference to his own NCAA suspension (about himself)? If so, the kid needs toughen up. Did he say it to the players? That's a different story. So we are now supposed to strike this work from the English language? Lots of people were hanged, had nothing to do with race. Mussolini was hanged.

We have entered the crazy zone.

need some context. so chambers once used the word "noose?" Did he say it in reference to his own NCAA suspension (about himself)? If so, the kid needs toughen up. Did he say it to the players? That's a different story. So we are now supposed to strike this work from the English language? Lots of people were hanged, had nothing to do with race. Mussolini was hanged.

We have entered the crazy zone.
Read the article in the OP.

Reactions: Kmase21
Chambers admits to using the word...it is accurate.
wide swath of context here. Did he once say "Mussolini was hanged with a noose?" Or did he say "the NCAA put a noose around my neck"? Or did he say, "kid, start playing or I'll put a noose around your neck?"

wide swath of context here. Did he once say "Mussolini was hanged with a noose?" Or did he say "the NCAA put a noose around my neck"? Or did he say, "kid, start playing or I'll put a noose around your neck?"
Read the article. It is clearly printed.

Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

“I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.”

Reactions: nits74 and Obliviax
Good grief, there's no end to it! Having a "noose around your neck" is a commonly used phrase for something that's destructive in a person's life. I've used it when talking to my own kids.

I call my dog a little monkey. Some things are fine to say in certain crowds but not in others. This piece of the article is something we all need to learn and understand:

"But now, the Black Lives Matter movement has made many white people realize their countless small cuts are bleeding Black America to death. Silence is no longer an option."

No. He admitted to one word. The article does not quote a sentence only one word. Give the exact sentence and context.

Yes it does.

The day after the Wisconsin game, Chambers told Bolton he knew the freshman was under a lot of pressure and wanted to help him. Bolton recalls Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

“I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you. I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.”

The above is the quote.. the word offended Rasir. I don't know.. the message sounds like he's trying to help Rasir relax but Rasir focused on the word that he's obviously sensitive to. I'm anxious to hear what his teammates have to say like Lamar.

Yes, obviously white men, please go on ...

Kzn4.gif

Keep genuflecting.

He wasn’t offended, he was outraged. Extremely poor choice of a metaphor by Chambers but he apologized and was disciplined by the University. Probably should have told him he would try to help Radir get the monkey off his back. Oh wait.

While the stakes and the seriousness of this situation are not humorous it reminds me of that game many of us played as kids. The one where you whisper in someone’s ear and they pass it on and ten people later it returns bearing no resemblance to the original comment. It appears that Chambers said one thing but Bolton may have heard it quite differently. And the more it gets passed around the further it will be from the truthful intent. Whatever the hell that may really be.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Don't even mention Piano Wire.:rolleyes:
well, I agree it was dumb. But if my good friend who is trying to help me makes a mistake, I don't make that national news. This movement will eat itself alive. Why try to help a young man if, when you make a dumb mistake, he hammers you.

I've got an employee who is AA and a woman. I was in a meeting and was referring to another black AA woman who runs our IT department. By mistake, I called one the other's name. Hell, I can't keep my two son's names straight (often calling the wrong son by the other's name).

I don't really follow PSU basketball and don't know Chambers well. Maybe he is a racist but would be surprised a racist would be successful coaching basketball ever since the set shot went out of vogue.

While the stakes and the seriousness of this situation are not humorous it reminds me of that game many of us played as kids. The one where you whisper in someone’s ear and they pass it on and ten people later it returns bearing no resemblance to the original comment. It appears that Chambers said one thing but Bolton may have heard it quite differently. And the more it gets passed around the further it will be from the truthful intent. Whatever the hell that may really be.
Reminds me of my first management promotion. A friend, several steps up, said "kid, you've got a lot of potential. Just know that when you lead the tribe into battle, you also need to look out for the arrows from behind."

Last edited:
It is really sh*tty to tell someone their parents are well spoken and organized. I can't think of a worse insult.

Yeah, and in the military you can experience similar insults for being enlisted (hierarchies are fun!). I once wrote a report for a JAG officer and his response was, 'Wow, this is really well written,' which translated means, 'I can't believe an enlisted peon wrote this!'

Yes! Without context, this is fairly useless information.

Ok, there is some context in the Undefeated article:

The day after the Wisconsin game, Chambers told Bolton he knew the freshman was under a lot of pressure and wanted to help him. Bolton recalls Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

Reactions: Pride
1 thing I have learned from previous fiasco is wait for all the facts to come out. Let Chambers have his comments if he chooses. I am no longer jumping to conclusions without hearing from the party's directly involved. Granted it's an emotional issue but after seeing how Joe was railroaded I promised myself I would wait to hear from all people directly involved before forming a verdict. Just my own thoughts

Chambers clearly didn't mean anything insidious by this thoughtless, stupid "noose" metaphor, but he does deserve criticism for not understanding how that reference would redound in the ears of a black person.

Agree. A "noose" or a "hangman's noose" has been around long before black's & slavery. People were hanged throughout time. Whites, Blacks, Christians, Witches, people from the wrong political party .... The old cowboy movies depicted bad guys getting hanged all the time. ... Heck, Clint Eastwood did an entire movie based on the story-line that he was hanged, survived the hanging and came back to seek revenge. All that being said, Chamber's should have been a little more "aware" of the audience and chose different words. I'm sure Chambers did not mean anything by the term, he just was not thinking. I'm sure we all do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT