ADVERTISEMENT

Rasir Bolton on Why he left Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
see this is what people do^^.

I don't care if you are a great bass fisherman or not. the bimini twist is a simple knot just as a "noose" is a simple knot. People tie them all the time with no intention to be racist. Is putting a tire swing on a low hanging tree branch racist as well?

it is a ridiculous argument to say that a knot tied in a garage at least months before a black driver or the MN race riots was intended to be racist in any way, shape or form.
We don't agree. Peace.

This happened a year and a half ago. Isn’t it convenient for rasir to jump on this opportunity right after BLM when the iron is still very hot. And now chambers has to answer everything like he did with the “politically correct” answer or he’s screwed.

Exactly-a year and a half later. I feel bad for Chambers, he’s probably going to get cancelled. It’s beyond out of hand.

We don't agree. Peace.
I think this should be the whole take away from this thread.

We cannot determine what offends individuals. If someone expresses they are offended than they are and you should respect that feeling. You don't have to agree that it is offensive. Just say I understand you are offended and I apologize as that was not my intent. Then both parties should be able to move forward.

Will be very interesting to see what the other players have to say about this. Lamar just tweeted that someone needs to give him an interview. I assume from his tweet that he is going to defend Chambers.
I've seen quite a few black players embrace Chambers. IIRC some even hinted that they might not return if Chambers was fired. Of course we have no idea what really happened but I have difficulty believing that Chambers is a racist. He probably made that comment thinking nothing about it, then apologized once he discovered that Bolton took it as a racial slur. I'm not sure what more he should have done at that point.

Take a hard look at the pic. How many door pull-downs have you seen that look like that? It’s a noose, probably someone’s poor idea of a joke to make a door pull-down to look like a noose, but a noose nevertheless.

I'm on twitter and anywhere else defending Bubba Wallace. And look back at my posts in this thread. I think I'm on the right side of this debate. That said, I'm not willing to say that someone intentionally tied that door pull to look like a noose. My question is how was Bubba assigned that garage stall?

Reactions: 94LionsFan
I think this should be the whole take away from this thread.

We cannot determine what offends individuals. If someone expresses they are offended than they are and you should respect that feeling. You don't have to agree that it is offensive. Just say I understand you are offended and I apologize as that was not my intent. Then both parties should be able to move forward.

It seems like that is the case here as Pat's comments kind of back that up. They may have had a conversation prior as well, you never know. It doesn't seem like many on that PSU b-ball team regardless of race have a problem with how Pat has handled things. It doesn't seem like people are lining up to jump up and take him down over those comments. This too shall pass, but we need some good fake outrage and defend what is or isn't a noose when clearly we all know WTF one is.....but some people need to pretend things for their own peace of mind. I've seen some funny anecdotal evidence before but there is one in this thread that takes the cake from the king of anecdotal evidence. Bravo to that guy....bravo.

It seems like that is the case here as Pat's comments kind of back that up. They may have had a conversation prior as well, you never know. It doesn't seem like many on that PSU b-ball team regardless of race have a problem with how Pat has handled things. It doesn't seem like people are lining up to jump up and take him down over those comments. This too shall pass, but we need some good fake outrage and defend what is or isn't a noose when clearly we all know WTF one is.....but some people need to pretend things for their own peace of mind. I've seen some funny anecdotal evidence before but there is one in this thread that takes the cake from the king of anecdotal evidence. Bravo to that guy....bravo.
1000%

Grant Green
/QUOTE]
Good f'ing God. If a coach made reference to being gassed to a Jewish player, that coach would be fired immediately. What is wrong with you?[/QUOTE]

Consider for a moment that you are in a high upper management position for a large national corporation. There at least two companies that I can think of that might very well terminate you because of this post.

You all need to look at Mrs Dreads tweeter. That hatred she is getting is the problem. Every comment directed to her are filled with hate and are the problem. I’ve quoted him before and I’ll quote him again CBS’s James Brown “if you look at Everything though the lens of racism you’ll go crazy” . That unfortunately is where we are at the moment. Could you imagine if he said break free from your shackles?

My question is how was Bubba assigned that garage stall?
This is what I was about to post. Sure, whoever tied that rope months ago may not have had Wallace in mind, but it’s quite a coincidence that of the 40 drivers in that race, he got the one garage with a pull down that could be reasonably interpreted as a noose.

It is really sh*tty to tell someone their parents are well spoken and organized. I can't think of a worse insult.
You're right, he had his issues. We should only listen to people who have no flaws and have lived a perfect life.

Well there seems to be a number of posters on here who think they meet that criteria. As I said before, Chambers used a very poor metaphor when speaking to a black athlete. I don’t think that alone makes him a racist, especially given how Stevens who was in the program 4 or 5 years and other black players are defending him. It was my understanding, he apologized at the time. If Bolton felt this one incident made Chambers a racist or prevented him from feeling comfortable being coached by him, then he made the right decision to leave. Having said that and excuse my cynicism, but it should be perfectly obvious why this is surfacing at the present time.

This is what I was about to post. Sure, whoever tied that rope months ago may not have had Wallace in mind, but it’s quite a coincidence that of the 40 drivers in that race, he got the one garage with a pull down that could be reasonably interpreted as a noose.
Pretty random...from the Washington post...

“Before each race, NASCAR assigns garage stalls based on the current season point standings, with the leader getting the most desirable — typically the one closest to the track entrance, for easy access on and off during frenzied practice sessions, the number of which varies from track to track. The second-place team gets the next stall, the third-place team gets the next stall and so on.

Wallace was 20th in the standings entering the race at Talladega, so normally he would have been assigned the stall 19 spots down from points leader Kevin Harvick.

But under novel coronavirus protocols, NASCAR groups multicar teams together to limit social interaction in the garage.

So Sunday at Talladega, the preferred stall went to Harvick as the points leader, and his three Stewart-Haas teammates (Clint Bowyer, Aric Amirola and Cole Custer) were assigned the next stalls in order beside him before Joey Logano, who is second in the standings, and his Team Penske teammates were slotted in.

The domino effect pushed Wallace’s Richard Petty team further back in the pecking order, all the way to Stall No. 4. (At Talladega, the No. 1 stall is near the back of the garage, and thus not desirable.)“

I've seen quite a few black players embrace Chambers. IIRC some even hinted that they might not return if Chambers was fired. Of course we have no idea what really happened but I have difficulty believing that Chambers is a racist. He probably made that comment thinking nothing about it, then apologized once he discovered that Bolton took it as a racial slur. I'm not sure what more he should have done at that point.

Well I guess we’re going to find out, huh?

Grant Green
/QUOTE]
Good f'ing God. If a coach made reference to being gassed to a Jewish player, that coach would be fired immediately. What is wrong with you?

Consider for a moment that you are in a high upper management position for a large national corporation. There at least two companies that I can think of that might very well terminate you because of this post.[/QUOTE]
Are saying that I would be terminated for the post I made? If so, please explain why.

Having said that and excuse my cynicism, but it should be perfectly obvious why this is surfacing at the present time.
This is from the article in the OP:

"Ironically, on June 5 of this year, Chambers assumed the role of educator.

As protests peaked, the National Association of Basketball Coaches invited Chambers to serve as a panelist for a webinar on how coaches can address racial injustice. Bolton saw a report of it come across his phone and felt disrespected all over again. That’s when the family reached out to me to discuss the reasons Bolton decided to leave Penn State."

Well if they don’t get rid of him, recruiting will only get worse. They will go from 3 star players to 0 star players. That’s the way it is in today’s fu—- up world

Exactly. Ask yourself, where is the line? Is it ok to say “n-rigged” simply because it’s just a slang? Certain people that I grew up with or went to PSU with wouldn’t have thought twice to use that term.

“Sticks and stones”, and whatnot, and you’re a “snowflake” if you don’t like it?

I just try to be a good person and not use phrases that hurt others. If “noose” is hurtful to others, shouldn’t we just try to take it out of our vocabularies?

I’ve had a couple of instances where people have talked about “getting Jewed” in front of my Jewish wife. Is she a snowflake for getting offended? Should we just be forced to deal with it, since it’s just words, or a slang? Or could our country (and world) become a better place from moving away from those types of slangs?

yeah I certainly would remove “n-rigged” from your lexicon

It was in there before NASCAR’s only black driver was in there. It was also not the only one. It’s a pull down for the door. The writer having that in the article is the same as a writer nowadays calling the Sandusky situation the Penn State scandal....it didn’t happen the way they wanted it to happen, but they’re not going to let it go. It’s irresponsible and furthers the divisiveness, but that’s their intent.

Are you ever right about anything? Nascar checked over 1600 garages and none of them had a noose pull down.

Are you ever right about anything? Nascar checked over 1600 garages and none of them had a noose pull down.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/justthenews.com/nation/video-appears-show-nascar-noose-may-have-actually-been-handle-garage-door?amp

And from the article:

But on Tuesday morning, a newly surfaced video made the rounds on social media showing that the alleged noose had actually been nothing more than a garage door pulley, one that was at the time apparently present on numerous NASCAR garages.

Consider for a moment that you are in a high upper management position for a large national corporation. There at least two companies that I can think of that might very well terminate you because of this post.
Are saying that I would be terminated for the post I made? If so, please explain why.[/QUOTE]

The vulgar reference to God.

Are saying that I would be terminated for the post I made? If so, please explain why.

The vulgar reference to God.[/QUOTE]
Apologies if I offended you Ned Flanders. There is a good chance that I would not have worked for those two companies anyway, but I can't help but ask who they are.

The vulgar reference to God.
Apologies if I offended you Ned Flanders. There is a good chance that I would not have worked for those two companies anyway, but I can't help but ask who they are.[/QUOTE]

You have completely missed the point. Your post would be considered by many to be vulgar and offensive and yet you had no idea that it would have that effect. However posters in this thread have taken Chambers to task for a comment that other posters have wondered what all the fuss is about.

Whether you would have worked for Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A is irrelevant.

One final point; you would likely be terminated by the National Baptist Convention, USA as well, had you made that post, since "it did not reflect who the Convention was nor did it reflect its values."

This is from the article in the OP:

"Ironically, on June 5 of this year, Chambers assumed the role of educator.

As protests peaked, the National Association of Basketball Coaches invited Chambers to serve as a panelist for a webinar on how coaches can address racial injustice. Bolton saw a report of it come across his phone and felt disrespected all over again. That’s when the family reached out to me to discuss the reasons Bolton decided to leave Penn State."

Ever occur to the Bolton family that one idiotic statement doesn’t (1) make him a racist and (2) that he might have learned from his mistake? Like I said before if that comment so offended Bolton that he felt that he couldn’t get past it and irretrievably ruined any possibility of him being coached by Chambers, he made the right call in leaving and I don’t have a problem with that. Apparently the Bolton family is now not satisfied with that and hope to get him fired. I don’t agree with that especially given Stevens’ defense of Chambers.

completely missed the point. Your post would be considered by many to be vulgar and offensive and yet you had no idea that it would have that effect. However posters in this thread have taken Chambers to task for a comment that other posters have wondered what all the fuss is about.

Whether you would have worked for Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A is irrelevant.

One final point; you would likely be terminated by the National Baptist Convention, USA as well, had you made that post, since "it did not reflect who the Convention was nor did it reflect its values."
If I wasn't clear in my previous posts, I don't think Pat is racist and should be fired, but he made a very poor choice of words. So, your accusation of hypocrisy falls on deaf ears.
If I have have offended you, my deepest apologies.

Last edited:
sometimes a knot is simply a knot.

So, if I go outside tonight at 11:30 and say "geeze, it is dark out here tonight" I might be racist?

You would be racist. You'd be better off saying, "It's not too bright out here." No wait, that would be an insult to stupid people.

Reactions: Obliviax
Chambers will probably get fired over this. He already had the shoving incident and he has been here longer than Dunn or DeChellis without an NCAA (albeit he essentially had an NCAA team this year)

He was not on solid ground to begin with and this is some pretty stupid stuff to be saying. The school doesn’t need bad PR no

Actually if the AD knew about this before the shoving incident, I am kind of surprised he didn’t get fired that season

If I wasn't clear in my previous posts, I don't think Pat is racist and should be fired, but he made a very poor choice of words. So, your accusation of hypocrisy falls on deaf ears.

I don't accept your apology, what you said was racist and deeply offended me. I am having issues with what you said that have stirred up very bad feeling from my past. You must leave this board immediately and not come back. I don't want to see another post from you.

Chambers will probably get fired over this. He already had the shoving incident and he has been here longer than Dunn or DeChellis without an NCAA (albeit he essentially had an NCAA team this year)

He was not on solid ground to begin with and this is some pretty stupid stuff to be saying. The school doesn’t need bad PR no

Actually if the AD knew about this before the shoving incident, I am kind of surprised he didn’t get fired that season
As most on this board know, I’m not a Chambers fan but he absolutely should not get fired for this. If Sandy does fire him, then she’s a bigger coward than I ever could have guessed and any coach at PSU should think twice about staying there and working for that big of a coward.

It's always amusing to see people write what others should or should not be offended by.

The "he meant no harm", "he has other black players who support him", "he is a good guy" arguments are all reasons why systemic racism in this country has continued for decades.

Do I think Chambers should be fired? No, he seems to be aware that he made a mistake and was looking to honestly make amends and not just offer excuses or rationalizations.

That said, the guy effed up and made a huge mistake. There should be some type of penalty. To paint it any other way is simply missing the entire point.

Reactions: UncleLar
I don't accept your apology, what you said was racist and deeply offended me. I am having issues with what you said that have stirred up very bad feeling from my past. You must leave this board immediately and not come back. I don't want to see another post from you.
Hmmmm. I think I'm supposed to respond by calling you a snowflake. Am I doing this right?

Although I stand by my characterization of your post, I was not offended so no apologies to me are needed. At my age it takes a whole lot to offend me, since as the end approaches negative vibes become only noise to be ignored. It might suite society better if more people ignored the noise; just a thought.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Anybody stop to really think about the fact a true racist would not in this day and age be working with this many black kids? Chambers has his whole career based on earning the trust and supporting these kids through their time and beyond at your school. A real racist has complete disdain and hate in their heart. The overuse and frankly careless use of the term has gotten to where it diminishes the actual meaning. People are not fully understanding the depth of meaning the term should carry.

It's always amusing to see people write what others should or should not be offended by.

The "he meant no harm", "he has other black players who support him", "he is a good guy" arguments are all reasons why systemic racism in this country has continued for decades.

Do I think Chambers should be fired? No, he seems to be aware that he made a mistake and was looking to honestly make amends and not just offer excuses or rationalizations.

That said, the guy effed up and made a huge mistake. There should be some type of penalty. To paint it any other way is simply missing the entire point.

if what he said is systematic racism...it just proves that’s there is no such thing. A noose on its own is not racist.

If he were to get fired over this, I would have expected it last offseason. This could certainly lead to a future firing if it negatively impacts recruiting, but doubt we will see anything happen now (especially with players coming to his defense). More comes out with stories like this from others though, and all bets are off.

Hopefully Pat has learned from this, and it helps everyone moving forward.

Reactions: Grant Green
Anybody stop to really think about the fact a true racist would not in this day and age be working with this many black kids? Chambers has his whole career based on earning the trust and supporting these kids through their time and beyond at your school. A real racist has complete disdain and hate in their heart. The overuse and frankly careless use of the term has gotten to where it diminishes the actual meaning. People are not fully understanding the depth of meaning the term should carry.

I couldn’t agree more...if you’re prejudice and white you’re racist. 99.9% of the public is not racist. The term. Has gotten so watered down this is where we are

Racism isn’t quite so cut and dry. It’s not zero or a hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT