ADVERTISEMENT

Undefeated Florida State left out of College Football Playoff

Again, scUM should be playing Texas - they would not be playing FSU. Take a look at the CFP Rankings prior to CCGs - FSU lowest undefeated team at #4. That would remain same after CCGs - FSU should have been lowest seeded undefeated Conference Champion (i.e., 3 Seed). Texas would be 4 Seed based on H-t-H win over Bama according to the Committee's own stated criteria.

You may or may not be right about what the ranking would have looked like. Logically, FSU might have been #3 but the committee could easily have moved Texas to that spot on the strength of the Horns' dominating win over Oklahoma State versus the Noles' ugly outlasting of a less than great Louisville team.

No matter how you cut it, now Michigan has to go through Alabama and (probably) Texas to win the whole enchilada. Both those teams (and Washington too for that matter) have the kind of offenses that the Wolvies haven't seen all year. So let's find out how good they really are.

Don't get me wrong: I agree with you that Florida State got royally screwed and have said so more than once here. But being a fan of a team that's been equally screwed several times over the course of many years going all the way back to 1969, there's a part of me tempted to tell the Noles: Join the club...now you know how it feels.

Again, scUM should be playing Texas - they would not be playing FSU. Take a look at the CFP Rankings prior to CCGs - FSU lowest undefeated team at #4. That would remain same after CCGs - FSU should have been lowest seeded undefeated Conference Champion (i.e., 3 Seed). Texas would be 4 Seed based on H-t-H win over Bama according to the Committee's own stated criteria.

I agree. I would have had them:

1. UM
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

Alabama is not impotent on offense. They ran the ball right down Georgias throat and hit big play after big play passing. Milroe is also the best running quarterback in the game: Georgia could not tackle him with TWO spies on him.

No, the reference was not to Alabama but rather to us...and Florida State without its starting QB.

I agree with you about Alabama's offense.

There were 5 conference champs and 4 slots to be filled. One conference champ had to be left out. The committee got it right. Florida State and the ACC were the weakest team and conference.
Except for
FSU was undefeated where as Bama was not. What's the point of playing the schedule when certain teams get a do over button and others do not?

Reactions: pittpsu
Except for
FSU was undefeated where as Bama was not. What's the point of playing the schedule when certain teams get a do over button and others do not?
If final record is all that matters then the Liberty Flames should have been picked ahead of Alabama and Texas. Last year TCU was picked because of their fine record and they got decimated by Georgia. There needs to be some subjectivity in order to get the four best teams -- those teams with the best players and those teams most capable of playing at a high level.

The selection committee decided that Alabama and Texas were better teams than FSU. I think they got it right.

Except for
It's always been that way. G5 are part of the league as well. You can't use undefeated and only want FSU in with a SOS of 55

Alabama is not impotent on offense. They ran the ball right down Georgias throat and hit big play after big play passing. Milroe is also the best running quarterback in the game: Georgia could not tackle him with TWO spies on him.

Again, did you even watch the game or just read about it?

Bama had 114 yards rushing on 41 attempts. 2.8 ypc is not running it down a teams throat.

192 passing yards on 13 completions is good numbers, but far from big play after big play.

UGAs 2 spies actually contained Milroe from running (14 rushes, 29 yards).

Bama won with solid defense and generated just enough offense to score the 27 they did.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Here's the story
Bama beat #6 (who was #1), #11, #13 and lost to #3
It is at all surprising people view that as better than FSU's resume going undefeated?

As much as I dislike Michigan, I hope they beat the snot out of Alabama and then get get beat by Washington in the final game. While Michigan has indeed been cheating for three years, practically the entirety of the SEC has been cheating for fifty years. Phuck Bama. And I be pulling for FSU to be playing lights out defense, managing to beat UGA with FSU's second and third string quarterbacks available to play.

Reactions: joeaubie21
If final record is all that matters then the Liberty Flames should have been picked ahead of Alabama and Texas. Last year TCU was picked because of their fine record and they got decimated by Georgia. There needs to be some subjectivity in order to get the four best teams -- those teams with the best players and those teams most capable of playing at a high level.

The selection committee decided that Alabama and Texas were better teams than FSU. I think they got it right.

Wrong - this is not the first time an undefeated G5 Conf Champ has been left out - you're absolutely wrong. It is the first time in CFP History that an undefeated P5 Conference Champ has been left out. It is also the first time that any P5 Team with LESS LOSES than one of the invited teams has been left out, LET ALONE LESS LOSES THAN 2 OF THE INVITED TEAMS!!!

You're utterly full of shit that this is the first time an undefeated G5 team has been left out - it absolutely is the first time an undefeated P5 Team has been left out, it is completely unprecedented and a complete contradiction of the CFP's stated selection criteria and prioritization of that criteria (as evidenced by the fact that this is the first time in CFP History that one P5 school with MORE LOSES has been selected over a P5 team with LESS LOSES - completely unprecedented, let alone 2 P5 Teams being selected over another P5 Team with less loses!). It is absolutely a direct contradiction of the stated first criteria they used to select duhO$U in 2016 and screw PSU over who not only beat duhO$U H-t-H, but also won the B1G Title. CFP stated that those were secondary criteria to the primary selection criteria of "number of losses".

If there were ever a time for Desantis to do some of the crazy-ass shit he pulls in every other situation, it would be now, for him to authorize his legislature and/or attorney general to just figure out a way to screw the cfb committee members.

Again, did you even watch the game or just read about it?

Bama had 114 yards rushing on 41 attempts. 2.8 ypc is not running it down a teams throat.

192 passing yards on 13 completions is good numbers, but far from big play after big play.

UGAs 2 spies actually contained Milroe from running (14 rushes, 29 yards).

Bama won with solid defense and generated just enough offense to score the 27 they did.
Dude, you're so desperate to argue minutiae on my posts. Just admit you hate me and go ahead and call up Phil's Rug to compare notes 😂

It's always been that way. G5 are part of the league as well. You can't use undefeated and only want FSU in with a SOS of 55
Of course I can because those are the OBJECTIVE results on the field not subjective opinion

Of course I can because those are the OBJECTIVE results on the field not subjective opinion
If teams played comparable schedules you'd have a argument. FSU had a SOS of 55. I don't care if they ran the table with that. Bama and Texas at 12-1 are more impressive. So is Georgia and Ohio State. They're on par with us when factoring in SOS. Same logic to exclude Liberty but you're not complaining about that. FSU isnt on par with the others. You can complain about it being subjective but unless all 10 conference winners are in it has to be.

Blame the ACC commissioner for voting against the 12 team playoff this. He screwed FSU and Penn State.

If teams played comparable schedules you'd have a argument. FSU had a SOS of 55. I don't care if they ran the table with that. Bama and Texas at 12-1 are more impressive. So is Georgia and Ohio State. They're on par with us when factoring in SOS. Same logic to exclude Liberty but you're not complaining about that. FSU isnt on par with the others. You can complain about it being subjective but unless all 10 conference winners are in it has to be.

Blame the ACC commissioner for voting against the 12 team playoff this. He screwed FSU and Penn State.
It's not a complaint bud, it's absolute fact that subjective measures were used instead of objective results it's not my fault that you can't differentiate between the two. You are basically saying that on the field results do not matter. Try again without licking the boots of the commitee.

It's not a complaint bud, it's absolute fact that subjective measures were used instead of objective results it's not my fault that you can't differentiate between the two. You are basically saying that on the field results do not matter. Try again without licking the boots of the commitee.
What is objective? How is Liberty not in if record is all that matters?
The playoff was never designed to be objective so why are you arguing for something it isn't
On the field results do matter. Bama beating Georgia is why they're in and why Georgia is out. FSU playing a weak schedule is why they're out. Everything that happened on the field mattered. Just like Travis being injured when they scheduled an FCS team late in the year mattered.

Boots?

More like dupa.

The issue here is that people are acting like those that think Bama was more worthy are wrong. No one is wrong. This is all opinion. Just like it has always been since 2014 when the playoff expanded. I believe the committee got it mostly right (though Georgia being out is a miss) and I would have had FSU either at 7 or 8. They're not good right now and the polls are ranking teams based on your opinion. If you want FSU at 3 or 4 that's great--you're solely basing in 13-0 and probably didn't watch them for more than 3 quarters total this year but you're entitled to that opinion. Honestly, I think there's a valid argument for Penn State to be ahead of them when you factor in SOS just like we're ahead of 13-0 Liberty.

Also, if FSU was in and I was bashing the committee (which I would be doing) would that mean you're all licking the "boots of the committee" or is that simply believe you believe they got it right

Most experts agreed that Bama is better than FSU--the articles are just for clicks.

If there were ever a time for Desantis to do some of the crazy-ass shit he pulls in every other situation, it would be now, for him to authorize his legislature and/or attorney general to just figure out a way to screw the cfb committee members.
I don't doubt he has his legal guys looking into it.

So what should FSU have done to make the playoff? Run up the scores of their games? Changed conferences before the season began? Prevent their QB from getting hurt? Or was it predestined that it just didn't matter what they did, they just weren't getting in. If they would have known that, like Liberty, they wouldn't be so upset now.

So what should FSU have done to make the playoff? Run up the scores of their games? Changed conferences before the season began? Prevent their QB from getting hurt? Or was it predestined that it just didn't matter what they did, they just weren't getting in. If they would have known that, like Liberty, they wouldn't be so upset now.

Honestly, nothing. They scheduled the reigning SEC West winner and thumped them by 20+. Clemson was average. UNC never gets over the hill. Missed Notre Dame.

Travis not getting hurt would have helped, but are you confident that changes things?

Honestly, nothing. They scheduled the reigning SEC West winner and thumped them by 20+. Clemson was average. UNC never gets over the hill. Missed Notre Dame.

Travis not getting hurt would have helped, but are you confident that changes things?
Helped, LOL. This was planned all along. Travis could have played and put up 100- on Louisville and cured cancer and it wouldn't have mattered. The committee was not going to leave out a SEC team.

Would they have been better off scoring a touchdown on their last possession rather than just running off the clock? 23-6 sounds a good bit more impressive than 17-6.

Then FSU lost to BC and Washington is basically 6-6 using that logic
I love people are now stating how good the ACC is.
Fact is Bama doesn't deserve to be there. They are not that good nor is the SEC. Look at their record against other conferences. Georgia - oh they didn't play anyone. Alabama loss to Texas (that's a Big12 team) and didn't play anyone else. LSU lost to everyone (including ACC team) . Florida - lost to everyone (including ACC team). Texas A & M loss to Miami (that's an ACC team), Ole Miss - didn't play anyone, South Carolina - lost to Clemson and NC -(both ACC teams), Missouri beat Kansas State - there you go, now you have one to hang your hat on.

Alabama should be out and FSU, whom I despise should be in.

Fact is Bama doesn't deserve to be there. They are not that good nor is the SEC. Look at their record against other conferences. Georgia - oh they didn't play anyone. Alabama loss to Texas (that's a Big12 team) and didn't play anyone else. LSU lost to everyone (including ACC team) . Florida - lost to everyone (including ACC team). Texas A & M loss to Miami (that's an ACC team), Ole Miss - didn't play anyone, South Carolina - lost to Clemson and NC -(both ACC teams), Missouri beat Kansas State - there you go, now you have one to hang your hat on.

Alabama should be out and FSU, whom I despise should be in.
Deserving isn't a factor. It's about the best teams.
To claim Alabama didn't play anyone else when they have wins over Georgia, Ole Miss and LSU (who is FSU's best win) is delusional.
Who did FSU beat? Who did we beat if you don't think Bama beat anyone?
You can say you want it to be about record but then you have to argue Liberty over Texas or you're still being subjective.

TCU did beat Michigan in the playoffs. We cannot forget that. TCU "earned" their way to play Georgia in that championship. Just because they got their ass kicked by Georgia doesn't take that away. Only Ohio State in the Big 10 can say the same.

As much as I dislike Michigan, I hope they beat the snot out of Alabama and then get get beat by Washington in the final game. While Michigan has indeed been cheating for three years, practically the entirety of the SEC has been cheating for fifty years. Phuck Bama. And I be pulling for FSU to be playing lights out defense, managing to beat UGA with FSU's second and third string quarterbacks available to play.
Yes, Alabama was lucky as hell. If Auburn would not have shit the bed against Alabama we would have a playoff with:

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Georgia
4. FSU

And that is assuming Alabama still beats Georgia in the SEC championship. Things went to shit because there had to be an SEC team, and you couldn't have Alabama without Texas.

Could you imagine a PSU season where we go undefeated beating LSU, Florida, Clemson, and Miami and not be in the playoff?

Reactions: lazydave841
Deserving isn't a factor. It's about the best teams.
To claim Alabama didn't play anyone else when they have wins over Georgia, Ole Miss and LSU (who is FSU's best win) is delusional.
Who did FSU beat? Who did we beat if you don't think Bama beat anyone?
You can say you want it to be about record but then you have to argue Liberty over Texas or you're still being subjective.
The SEC just doesn't have the wins this year. It's a down year for them. The post above yours listed a bunch of the ACC wins against the SEC. Georgia didn't exactly have an easy game against Georgia Tech either last week. Thankfully for the SEC Kentucky did beat Louisville.

I assume this is your source for the FSU strength of schedule being 55. Seems reasonable. However, their SOS is higher than PSU. If Penn State would have beaten Michigan and OSU rather than losing, mathematics would dictate PSU's strength of schedule droping further below FSU. Would an undefeated Penn State this season be unworthy of the playoff due to their strength of schedule? Not a chance.

I assume this is your source for the FSU strength of schedule being 55. Seems reasonable. However, their SOS is higher than PSU. If Penn State would have beaten Michigan and OSU rather than losing, mathematics would dictate PSU's strength of schedule droping further below FSU. Would an undefeated Penn State this season be unworthy of the playoff due to their strength of schedule? Not a chance.
Would have doesn't matter. We can't play the "what if" game. We go by what happened. You also think Ohio State and Michigan would fall more than I do in order to make that claim. And no that's not what I use. That's a disaster.
I mean, are you trying to claim FSU had a tougher schedule than Bama? Even remotely close to it?

Fsu was ranked 4th going into the game.

They were ranked 4 coming off the Florida game where their backup QB played. The same QB who would start in a playoff game. Travis was long injured by that point. So the team as constructed at that time was ranked as “better” as Texas and Bama. FSU then went out and beat a ranked Louisville at a neutral site by two scores with with an even weaker lineup than they had the week before.

If FSU with Rodemaker was better than Bama and Texas before the CCGs, what exactly changed? If the Committee truly felt that the loss of Travis made FSU much weaker and less deserving in the ranking, they had two weeks prior to reflect that in the polls but didn’t. Instead they did it last minute just as a way to justify their absurd decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT