ADVERTISEMENT

PSU picks up another transfer commit (link)

I like Franklin, and I have from the day he was hired, but I really don't give him any credit for being willing to explore changes.

A 4-5 record is likely the motivation that caused him to explore change.......
Winning 11 games 3 out of 4 seasons, generally won't motivate you to throw the baby out with the bath water. This season may end up being a positive long term. Losing makes a coach reassess every aspect of his program. That being said, my fandom does not hinge on NCs or CFP.....I want to see PSU in major bowls and win 10 or 11 games 3 of 5 years. I think these are realistic goals. I'm simply not an elite fan ;)

I'm sure you agree that the portal is not like an all you can eat buffet. I'll assume that the staff has projected precisely where a transfer fits into the roster they see returning, I don't think they are just adding random players. Either they have a safety or 2 in their sights (portal) or they see that position being filled by players currently on the roster (perhaps playing a different position currently).
The negative might be that they know a or some current CB who are planning to leave?

Yep, roster management has been more critical to consistency on the field as the early departures for the NFL have increased, and then with the Portal has made it even more difficult. Surely CJF and Smith have a plan, but as fans we don't know what it is.

From what I saw on the field, if Brisker and Wade both leave the only Safety I saw that looked like a potential starter was the JC transfer Brown. Sutherland just doesn't look like a starter to me, but he might to Franklin. Who knows. It was disappointing to see the younger Safety's not get much if any playing time before the last game, particularly Rudolph a RS freshman, and also Jennings a true freshman.

With the number of CB's that played it would not be surprising to see 1 or 2 of them move to Safety. Ellis seemed pretty average as a CB this year, but seems to be a sure enough tackler to play Safety. Who knows.....

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I remember that as well. But that was before he became PSU's best CB.

It will be an interesting Spring practice, if there is a Spring practice....

It appears someone will need to make a move to Safety. JP looks like the obvious candidate. That said when PS goes to a nickel package he could play the role that Wade played this year. As we know Wade struggled with man coverage all season. JP held his own and then some in man coverage. He would be a big improvement in the nickel package when in man coverage. If Donovan Johnson is healthy that makes the CB rotation and potential CB's moving to Safety even more interesting. If TCF stays you have about 6 guys that have played a lot of reps a CB excluding John Dixon. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Yep, roster management has been more critical to consistency on the field as the early departures for the NFL have increased, and then with the Portal has made it even more difficult. Surely CJF and Smith have a plan, but as fans we don't know what it is.

From what I saw on the field, if Brisker and Wade both leave the only Safety I saw that looked like a potential starter was the JC transfer Brown. Sutherland just doesn't look like a starter to me, but he might to Franklin. Who knows. It was disappointing to see the younger Safety's not get much if any playing time before the last game, particularly Rudolph a RS freshman, and also Jennings a true freshman.

With the number of CB's that played it would not be surprising to see 1 or 2 of them move to Safety. Ellis seemed pretty average as a CB this year, but seems to be a sure enough tackler to play Safety. Who knows.....
We used to be able to recruit bricks (almost game ready) and mortar (5 year plans). No one wants to be the 5 year project and they now portal to a lower level to see PT.
The long term guys, IMO, had more team loyalty and a better perspective. Those days are apparently over.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The NFL started the draft in the 30's because the same teams kept winning it all. It sort of balanced it out. Most fans are disgusted with CFB for the same reasons, something has got to give.

Recruiting 4 & 5 stars got to be more than campus tour, the powers that be are turning their backs to bag men, academics, and enhancing boarder line supplements.

The portal is one of the present checks & balances. It helped Michigan, Ohio St., and Wisconsin with QB's. It did start out with Russell Wilson as a grad transfer, then Michigan got Iowa, Houston, and Mississippi QB's, Ohio St. got an immediate starter day 1, on a technicality.

Personally i think Julian Fleming put PSU into a different frame of mind for future recruiting, i don't know what the new recruiting playbook says, but my gut tells me it's changed.

For better or worse everything in life changes despite many fans nostalgic illusions to the contrary. The portal if teams use it properly is just enhanced recruiting. What you missed in high school recruiting you now have an opportunity to correct. You don’t have to like it, you just have to hope that our coaches learn to master it.

IMO, only 2 kinds of QB will be considered. 1 a QB that has already demonstrated that they are head and shoulders above Clifford (good luck finding him in this year's portal) or a highly rated recruit that has 3 years of eligibility remaining and for some reason is disenchanted with his current situation (coaching or philosophy change).
I'd bet Cliff is the starter next year.
Either Clifford or Roberson will start next season. Don't ignore Roberson.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I like Franklin, and I have from the day he was hired, but I really don't give him any credit for being willing to explore changes.
He did explore change when he signed 30? or so guys because of the portal then it came back to bite him in the rear with the 2021 class.

Can he bring some Southern Off and Def Lineman? Elite Teams require elite fronts.
1165956755.jpg.0.jpg
Great picture. Love how low these guys are playing. It’s one thing Traut hasn’t fixed yet. Our guys play too high and lose the leverage battle too often.

Why didn't we see him this year?

Come on.....against IL he was feeding Bruno faster than you could feed onion dip to Barron!

I agree.....and the subs should have played the entire fourth quarter against IL, but Franklin has historically failed to have subs get any meaningful playing time in blowouts.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Did you hear that from your "source" ??

Yep, he has the size for it, and is one of the best tacklers on defense. But the question remains as to whether CJF and Smith will move their best CB to shore up another position....

Who moved Adrian Amos to safety?

I agree. The 4 team playoff system has already slanted the HS player recruiting toward 5 or 6 teams (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, maybe LSU/Notre Dame?). Now the portal is going to push the better players who made the "mistake" of signing with other teams onto those same 5 or 6 teams. Teams like Penn State who land in the rest of the top 25 will attract the best of the rest players in the portal, simultaneously raising their talent level and hurting the teams who gave these kids a chance to show their ability. As the transfer numbers increase, you may see the day where these top teams fill half or more of their available scholarship slots with high-performing transfers who made a name for themselves outside of the "Elite 5 or 6".

I understand that the players deserve some flexibility but this system will continue to worsen every year until something is changed (maybe starting with expanding the playoff system and getting back toward the requirement to sit out a year). I'm not saying I have this all figured out and my ideas for changes may not work at all. I just don't like the way college football is headed.
Tell me how that makes sense? Before we had 4 teams we had either the BCS or poll system that gave even less teams a chance. Only a hand full of teams are ever at the top. Sure a few new names rotate in from decade to decade, but this is nothing new.

Reactions: cjrugger
Black shoe diaries just posted two players (DE and a DT) that CJF twitter followed. Both look like good pickups for our DL.

Why didn't we see him this year?
According to Jack Ham, Roberson was doing great in fall camp and was pushing Levis and Clifford. Then Roberson got banged up and lost his place in the mix. Ham contends that Roberson has great potential and could push for playing time next year.

It used to be difficult with restrictions making it less attractive. That is no longer the case.
The portal didn’t change the restrictions though. The restrictions changed and the portal was born because of it

Winning 11 games 3 out of 4 seasons, generally won't motivate you to throw the baby out with the bath water. This season may end up being a positive long term. Losing makes a coach reassess every aspect of his program. That being said, my fandom does not hinge on NCs or CFP.....I want to see PSU in major bowls and win 10 or 11 games 3 of 5 years. I think these are realistic goals. I'm simply not an elite fan ;)

Maybe not but you are smarter than many experts on here.

Tell me how that makes sense? Before we had 4 teams we had either the BCS or poll system that gave even less teams a chance. Only a hand full of teams are ever at the top. Sure a few new names rotate in from decade to decade, but this is nothing new.
It is something new.
In the seven years with the playoff, four teams have taken 20 of the 28 slots available (Alabama: 6, Clemson: 6, tOSU: 4, Oklahoma: 4). Only one other team has appeared more than once (Notre Dame: 2). There has only been one year (2014) where 3 of those top 4 teams didn't make the playoff. (Interestingly, there hasn't been a year with all 4 of them in the playoff.) In total, 11 teams have participated in the playoff in 7 years. Each year, the rest of the Power Five teams are playing for one spot against 3 of the "Elite 4".

While not an exact comparison, if you look at final rankings of the previous seven seasons, only 3 teams were ranked #1-#4 three (3) times (Alabama, Florida and Oregon). Four (4) teams were in 2 times (Auburn, LSU, Texas, USC) and there were 11 teams that were in once (Boise St, Georgia, Michigan St, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oklahoma St, South Carolina, Stanford, TCU, tOSU, Utah). In total, 18 different teams finished in the top 4. As much as I am in favor of a playoff system, it seems like more teams were "in play" in the old system.

If you are a top recruit and you want to be in the playoff with the current system, you go to Alabama, Clemson, tOSU or Oklahoma.

Come on.....against IL he was feeding Bruno faster than you could feed onion dip to Barron!

I agree.....and the subs should have played the entire fourth quarter against IL, but Franklin has historically failed to have subs get any meaningful playing time in blowouts.

Franklin played a lot of players in meaningful situations all year long and sometimes it costs the team. An example was MSU immediately picking on Hardy when Franklin put him in as a DB in the second quarter. Seriously, do you even watch the games?

"Well Derrick Tangelo has certainly set the pace inside at defensive tackle," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said of Tangelo back in August. "He's had a great camp. Just really has responded to being that leader. You know really the one guy in there that is experienced."

- - -

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
It is something new.
In the seven years with the playoff, four teams have taken 20 of the 28 slots available (Alabama: 6, Clemson: 6, tOSU: 4, Oklahoma: 4). Only one other team has appeared more than once (Notre Dame: 2). There has only been one year (2014) where 3 of those top 4 teams didn't make the playoff. (Interestingly, there hasn't been a year with all 4 of them in the playoff.) In total, 11 teams have participated in the playoff in 7 years. Each year, the rest of the Power Five teams are playing for one spot against 3 of the "Elite 4".

While not an exact comparison, if you look at final rankings of the previous seven seasons, only 3 teams were ranked #1-#4 three (3) times (Alabama, Florida and Oregon). Four (4) teams were in 2 times (Auburn, LSU, Texas, USC) and there were 11 teams that were in once (Boise St, Georgia, Michigan St, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oklahoma St, South Carolina, Stanford, TCU, tOSU, Utah). In total, 18 different teams finished in the top 4. As much as I am in favor of a playoff system, it seems like more teams were "in play" in the old system.

If you are a top recruit and you want to be in the playoff with the current system, you go to Alabama, Clemson, tOSU or Oklahoma.
And this is why it is no longer worth the time or viewership of well over 90% of college football fans. When only 11 schools have ever taken the 28 playoff spots and 4 schools have taken 20 of the playoff spots, why does any of it matter? It's unimportant to all but a few fanbases. Turn the TV off. We've already seen Clemson embarrass Ohio St and Alabama destroy Notre Dame multiple times.

And I don't know if it's even fun for Clemson and Alabama fans anymore either to always face off for the championship. Why not just have Alabama and Clemson face off at the beginning of the season, declare a champion, and let everyone else play a real season? It would make for a better rest of the season.

And this is why it is no longer worth the time or viewership of well over 90% of college football fans. When only 11 schools have ever taken the 28 playoff spots and 4 schools have taken 20 of the playoff spots, why does any of it matter? It's unimportant to all but a few fanbases. Turn the TV off. We've already seen Clemson embarrass Ohio St and Alabama destroy Notre Dame multiple times.

And I don't know if it's even fun for Clemson and Alabama fans anymore either to always face off for the championship. Why not just have Alabama and Clemson face off at the beginning of the season, declare a champion, and let everyone else play a real season? It would make for a better rest of the season.

Along the same lines, the appeal of college football has always been how important the regular season is relative to other sports and leagues. Going into the conference championship games there were a number of teams who had a chance to make the CFP. O$U eked by Northwester and ND got humiliated by Clemson. Who made the CFP? The games were a waste of time. Literally if they had been cancelled nothing would have changed. So why should we bother to watch? Professional wrestling is less scripted at this point.

Along the same lines, the appeal of college football has always been how important the regular season is relative to other sports and leagues. Going into the conference championship games there were a number of teams who had a chance to make the CFP. O$U eked by Northwester and ND got humiliated by Clemson. Who made the CFP? The games were a waste of time. Literally if they had been cancelled nothing would have changed. So why should we bother to watch? Professional wrestling is less scripted at this point.
You picked poor examples for your point. OSU won the game, isn’t that the point? Everyone spends so much time complaining about the ‘eye test,’ but now you want to use it?

Who do you want in over ND? A&M lost by 28 to Alabama, it shouldnt matter that they lost in October instead of December

This is a great pick up at a position of need. We have to assume TCF is at least considering the draft right now, but even if he sticks around, we have been lacking at DB for a while and you can never have enough speed back there. Pry would love to go straight man and blitz more often. That's how he learned to do it from Bud Foster.

DBs lacking?? Franklin has recruited a ton of DBs over the past couple of years. What is lacking is player development at that position.

It is something new.

And 11 different schools won the NC in 15 years under the BCS....I don’t see that happening in the CFP.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Who moved Adrian Amos to safety?

From Wikipedia:
College career[edit]
Amos played at Penn State from 2011 to 2014. As a true freshman, he played in all 13 games as a cornerback and on special teams. He recorded seven tackles and an interception. As a sophomore in 2012, Amos started all 12 games and recorded 44 tackles and two interceptions. As a junior in 2013, Amos again started all 12 games, splitting time between cornerback and safety. He finished the year with 50 tackles, one interception and 2.5 sacks. As a senior, he again started all 13 games, recording 42 tackles and three interceptions.[3][4][5]

Franklin was hired as PSU coach in January of 2014. Amos was already playing Safety before Franklin was hired. Can't give him credit for the Amos move from CB to Safety, but that's pretty irrelevant to the current situation as the roster in 2014 was much thinner across all positions than what it is now. If no CB's are lost to the Portal there could be 7 experienced CB's on the team that are talented enough to start for a winning B10 Defense (Porter, TCF, Johnson, Ellis, Wilson, Hardy, and Dixon), plus a redshirt freshman (Joseph Johnson) and at least 2 highly talented true freshmen (Kalen King and Jeffrey Davis). 10 scholarship cornerbacks.

So moving 1 or 2 to Safety does not take much initiative or analysis as far as projecting a future NFL star such as Amos. Even we here could figure this out.... ;)

Last edited:
You picked poor examples for your point. OSU won the game, isn’t that the point? Everyone spends so much time complaining about the ‘eye test,’ but now you want to use it?

Who do you want in over ND? A&M lost by 28 to Alabama, it shouldnt matter that they lost in October instead of December

I disagree. It should matter when they lost. Early losses should carry less weight than late losses. Especially if the team has improved significantly and it shows in the results. Plus, in your example, Notre Dame got the benefit of catching Clemson without Lawrence and still took OT to pull out the win.

From Wikipedia:
College career[edit]
Amos played at Penn State from 2011 to 2014. As a true freshman, he played in all 13 games as a cornerback and on special teams. He recorded seven tackles and an interception. As a sophomore in 2012, Amos started all 12 games and recorded 44 tackles and two interceptions. As a junior in 2013, Amos again started all 12 games, splitting time between cornerback and safety. He finished the year with 50 tackles, one interception and 2.5 sacks. As a senior, he again started all 13 games, recording 42 tackles and three interceptions.[3][4][5]

Franklin was hired as PSU coach in January of 2014. Amos was already playing Safety before Franklin was hired. Can't give him credit for the Amos move from CB to Safety, but that's pretty irrelevant to the current situation as the roster in 2014 was much thinner across all positions than what is is now. If no CB's are lost to the Portal there could be 7 experienced CB's on the team that are talented enough to start for a winning B10 Defense (Porter, TCF, Johnson, Ellis, Wilson, Hardy, and Dixon), plus a redshirt freshman (Joseph Johnson) and at least 2 highly talented true freshmen (Kalen King and Jeffrey Davis). 10 scholarship cornerbacks.

So moving 1 or 2 to Safety does not take much initiative or analysis as far as projecting a future NFL star such as Amos. Even we here could figure this out.... ;)
I keep seeing TCF as a potential to stay? My instincts were that he would leave. Is there any actual reason for "optimism" or is it just cause he hasn't made the announcement yet?

I disagree. It should matter when they lost. Early losses should carry less weight than late losses. Especially if the team has improved significantly and it shows in the results. Plus, in your example, Notre Dame got the benefit of catching Clemson without Lawrence and still took OT to pull out the win.
Who improved significantly? A&M would get blown out by Bama again tomorrow

I keep seeing TCF as a potential to stay? My instincts were that he would leave. Is there any actual reason for "optimism" or is it just cause he hasn't made the announcement yet?

I have not heard a thing. But when you are hurt and don't play much in your senior year most believe there is a good bit of draft position to be gained by showing the NFL that you can play a complete season and excel.

If TCF does come back it sure makes it a crowd at CB for PSU. The fact that CJF took a CB from the Portal may be a sign that CJF already knows of 1 or more of the 10 I listed that are moving on. And TCF is the most logical name at the top of any list of potential CB's to move on. Along with possibly Donovan Johnson just because he seems to have been passed by on the depth chart when he has been hurt by a few CB's....

Last edited:
DBs lacking?? Franklin has recruited a ton of DBs over the past couple of years. What is lacking is player development at that position.

Our defensive scheme seems to put our DBs in conflict. When we let our CBs play tight m2m, the better ones usually excel. Think Reid pre-injury, TCF first two years, and JPJ this year. When they camp out 7-10 off the ball they tend to get beat more.

I can't remember our last good pass defense safety. Like, really strong at coming over to the sideline and getting the PBU or undercutting a route for the INT. They've essentially been like hybrid S/LBs with a lot of run defense responsibilities who can line up deep or creep up.

We've even had 1-2 CBs transfer out and get playing time. I think our safety's have been the bigger issues than our CBs.

As much as he missed towards the end of the season, I think he silently opted out. Just waiting on his declaration.

I have not heard a thing. But when you are hurt and don't play much in your senior year most believe there is a good bit of draft position to be gained by showing the NFL that you can play a complete season and excel.

If TCF does come back it sure makes it a crowd at CB for PSU. The fact that CJF took a CB from the Portal may be a sign that CJF already knows of 1 or more of the 10 I listed that are moving on. And TCF is the most logical name at the top of any list of potential CB's to move on. Along with possibly Donovan Johnson....
He did accept a bid to the senior bowl.

Quitting on the season and not playing the bowl game, and now taking in someone from South Carolina via the transfer portal. Penn State is done being a program that did things differently, and I'm done with Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT