ADVERTISEMENT

Champs Confidence Picks

mvattivo

Jun 23, 2005
Lebanon, PA
How confident are you in your picks for champs. Here would be mine.

1. Kervliet - I know Bastida/Hendrickson are tough. I just don't see Kerk getting beat.
2. Keckeisen - I'd be surprised if he lost.
3. Starocci - He'd be first if it weren't for the slight injury concern. I'm less concerned the closer it gets.
4. Brooks - I think Brooks is the best pound for pound wrestler in the country, but, Hidlay is up there as well.
5. Haines - He is just always under control and he's gotten better and better as the season has moved on.
6. Lovett - They all get tough from here. Gomez would surprise me. Henson, Arrington, Kasak & Watters aren't easy either.
7. Bartlett - He wrestles matches too close, but, he USUALLY comes through when it matters.
8. Fix - Big time toss-up final for me with Crookham. There are obviously other threats as well.
9. O'Toole - Ranking him here shows how much I love Mesenbrink. Oh, Carr and Hamiti aren't too shabby either!
10. Davis - This weight is just crazy!

That wasn't easy!

Reactions: diggerpup
How confident are you in your picks for champs. Here would be mine.

1. Kervliet - I know Bastida/Hendrickson are tough. I just don't see Kerk getting beat.
2. Keckeisen - I'd be surprised if he lost.
3. Starocci - He'd be first if it weren't for the slight injury concern. I'm less concerned the closer it gets.
4. Brooks - I think Brooks is the best pound for pound wrestler in the country, but, Hidlay is up there as well.
5. Haines - He is just always under control and he's gotten better and better as the season has moved on.
6. Lovett - They all get tough from here. Gomez would surprise me. Henson, Arrington, Kasak & Watters aren't easy either.
7. Bartlett - He wrestles matches too close, but, he USUALLY comes through when it matters.
8. Fix - Big time toss-up final for me with Crookham. There are obviously other threats as well.
9. O'Toole - Ranking him here shows how much I love Mesenbrink. Oh, Carr and Hamiti aren't too shabby either!
10. Davis - This weight is just crazy!

That wasn't easy!
one question,is Hidlay gonna wrestle the edge like he always does against Brooks??

one question,is Hidlay gonna wrestle the edge like he always does against Brooks??

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he did, and I wouldn't blame him. Hidlay is the real deal, and is very aware of how good Brooks is. If you watch Hidlay, he doesn't wrestle anyone else with that strategy. I'm not saying you have to respect it. Hell, it can frustrate you and that is understandable, but, it is a strategy based out of respect for his opponent.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
thank you!!! if I have to hear about Hidlay wrestling Brooks on the edge all tournament!!

They sound alot like Iowa fan, ironbird, complaining about nothing relivant.

Reactions: mvattivo
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he did, and I wouldn't blame him. Hidlay is the real deal, and is very aware of how good Brooks is. If you watch Hidlay, he doesn't wrestle anyone else with that strategy. I'm not saying you have to respect it. Hell, it can frustrate you and that is understandable, but, it is a strategy based out of respect for his opponent.
Two years in a row he has wrestled the edge and has lost. I will not be surprised one bit if he comes out aggresive for the first take down.

It’s an untenable strategy if stalling is called correctly.

Only reason he doesn’t get hammered on this board more is because he’s a PA boy

1- Keck (only Truax has made him look mortal this year and he is not a favorite to make finals)
2- Kerk (Beast, think Yonger could make it interesting but I believe in GK)
3- CSTAR (Injury and seed is my only slight hesitation would be 1 otherwise)
4- Brooks (Hidlay is a monster but Brooks should win)
5- Haines (Big favorite to make finals hasn't seen Shapiro or Teemer before so the unknown is there)
6- Crookham (He looks legit to me, Vito isn't himself and Fix is destined to always be the bridesmaid)
7- Mendez (I said he was the best 141 back in December and Bartlett usurped it for a little but Mendez's pace is just unreal and he looks to always dictate the match which is a more reliable strategy than keep it close like Beau does)
8- Gomez (Think he flips the last two results against Lovett, probably with something big)
9- Carr (call me crazy but the result gets flipped in the semi's and he has the experience advantage over MM)
10- Camacho (125 idk man)

Reactions: PSU Mike
1. Brooks. No disrespect to Hidlay, but I don’t see anyone beating Brooks.

2. Starocci. Injury is the only question. His first match will tell us all we need to know.

3. Keck. Mostly due to limited competition, but Keck is a great wrestler, too.

4. Kerk. Bastida is Kerk’s Hidlay, but Kerk isn’t Brooks. He should win, though.

5. Haines. This is his year.

6. Lovett. Last of the strong favorites.

7. KOT. My heart wants Mesenbrink, but KOT is a great champion. This weight is loaded.

8. Crookham. Hard to go against Vito after what he did last year, and Fix is still hanging around, so this one is wide open.

9. Mendez. Mendez vs Beau round three should be a classic.

10. Ayala. So far in these responses, 125 is rated #10 by everyone with a different champ. You might as well pick names out of a hat.

10. Ayala. So far in these responses, 125 is rated #10 by everyone with a different champ. You might as well pick names out of a hat.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PSUbluTX
I must be the worst PSU fan ever ... knowing CStar has been injured - my #1 confidence pick has changed

141 - Mendez
184 - Keckheisen
285 - Kerk
149 - Lovett
157 - Haines
197 - Brooks
133 - Fix
174 - CStar
165 - KOT
125 - Ramos

1. Brooks
2. Kerk
3. Levi
4. Keck (although my confidence here is the same as above he gets 4th for obvious reasons)
5. Fix (it starts to get weird here. What is Vito's status?)
6. Carter (same)
7. Lovett ( I will be rooting for Gomez)
8. BB
9. Davis
10. Messenbrink

It feels we have the same probability of getting 7 champs as Iowa has of getting one.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDFP
It's also leaving exposed to more stall calls. They are going to call it if it's all pressure from Brooks.

Reactions: ccdiver
Yep, and a stall call will force him away from that strategy, if he chooses to try to use it again.
Agreed and I hope it does because he is a monster of a wrestler. This match should be entertaining.

I prefer to see both in the middle going at it!!

Two years in a row he has wrestled the edge and has lost. I will not be surprised one bit if he comes out aggresive for the first take down.
Wrestling on the edge has not worked for Hidlay against Brooks. Aggressive attacks are likely to be met with slick counters by AB. I believe PatPop will have him active with his feet to ward off stall calls and otherwise holding neutral until the last 30-40 seconds of the third. Then Hidlay will simply take his chances with a 30-40% chance of winning. AB will work hard to make sure the ref knows what Hidlay is doing. The first stall call will force Hidlay to get to work …… and we all know how that works.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
Wrestling on the edge has not worked for Hidlay against Brooks. Aggressive attacks are likely to be met with slick counters by AB. I believe PatPop will have him active with his feet to ward off stall calls and otherwise holding neutral until the last 30-40 seconds of the third. Then Hidlay will simply take his chances with a 30-40% chance of winning. AB will work hard to make sure the ref knows what Hidlay is doing. The first stall call will force Hidlay to get to work …… and we all know how that works.

I'll say this, IF he doesn't win this year, Trent will rank up there as one of the better wrestlers to never win a national title.

I think Trent will absolutely try to wrestle on the edge, keep it close and try to steal a win late in the third period. It's the same strategy he has used in the past against Aaron but I think if he tries to open it up and truly wrestle him that it won't end well.

I think Trent will absolutely try to wrestle on the edge, keep it close and try to steal a win late in the third period. It's the same strategy he has used in the past against Aaron but I think if he tries to open it up and truly wrestle him that it won't end well.
To be fair, most guys end up on the edge with AB’s forward pressure. Now, it’s magnified and obvious that it is a Hidlay strategy when wrestling Aaron, but it’s not uncommon for ABs opponents to be forced to the edge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT