ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
The Transfer Portal opens up this coming Wednesday and remains open thru May 3.

Does anyone transfer in? Does anyone transfer out (ie Bearclaw)?

The Transfer Portal opens up this coming Wednesday and remains open thru May 3.

Does anyone transfer in? Does anyone transfer out (ie Bearclaw)?

I hope that nobody transfers out, especially Barraclough. I feel sorry for those guys who are just stuck at a weight or weights where PSU has national champion caliber wrestlers (and especially all timers), but even PSU has injuries and "other things". On the other hand, I obviously would never hold it against a kid who believes he could be an All American who chooses to portal out versus being a backup in the PSU room.

In Barraclough's case, he came to PSU because of Cael most likely and I hope he stays there for that reason. Being an All American is a big deal and I don't fault anyone for wanting to achieve that, but it's not everything and Barraclough has proven that he's a pretty high level freestyle guy even in the absence of being a regular folkstyle starter in college. If a person had freestyle aspirations, is it possible that they'd be better off at PSU (and NLWC) even as backups than as a starter somewhere else?

It's also worth mentioning that these guys all do have the opportunity to compete for a starting position and it's not out of the realm of possibility that a guy like Barraclough COULD find himself starting next year. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible.

Reactions: ikS
I hope that nobody transfers out, especially Barraclough. I feel sorry for those guys who are just stuck at a weight or weights where PSU has national champion caliber wrestlers (and especially all timers), but even PSU has injuries and "other things". On the other hand, I obviously would never hold it against a kid who believes he could be an All American who chooses to portal out versus being a backup in the PSU room.

In Barraclough's case, he came to PSU because of Cael most likely and I hope he stays there for that reason. Being an All American is a big deal and I don't fault anyone for wanting to achieve that, but it's not everything and Barraclough has proven that he's a pretty high level freestyle guy even in the absence of being a regular folkstyle starter in college. If a person had freestyle aspirations, is it possible that they'd be better off at PSU (and NLWC) even as backups than as a starter somewhere else?

It's also worth mentioning that these guys all do have the opportunity to compete for a starting position and it's not out of the realm of possibility that a guy like Barraclough COULD find himself starting next year. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible.
Barraclough could transfer to somewhere like Lock Haven and compete for the NCAAs while still continuing to train FS at NLWC.

There could be people going out. Barraclough is the obvious choice. Facundo is a possibility, but probably only if Starocci is coming back, which seems unlikely. Other guys could include Howard, Steen, McHenry (all forced out of the lineup due to Davis's emergence plus Lilledahl coming in), Evans, Pierce, etc. Any of these guys could start for other programs, some are potential NQs (Evans, Howard) or even AAs (Barraclough, Facundo).

I don't see anyone portalling in, unless it's someone the caliber of Dean or Mesenbrink who are potential national champs who want to come to PSU enough to seek it out and come with no promises. With Barr coming off RS and the guys coming in over the next couple years, there's no room at the inn for transfers.

Barraclough could transfer to somewhere like Lock Haven and compete for the NCAAs while still continuing to train FS at NLWC.

There could be people going out. Barraclough is the obvious choice. Facundo is a possibility, but probably only if Starocci is coming back, which seems unlikely. Other guys could include Howard, Steen, McHenry (all forced out of the lineup due to Davis's emergence plus Lilledahl coming in), Evans, Pierce, etc. Any of these guys could start for other programs, some are potential NQs (Evans, Howard) or even AAs (Barraclough, Facundo).

I don't see anyone portalling in, unless it's someone the caliber of Dean or Mesenbrink who are potential national champs who want to come to PSU enough to seek it out and come with no promises. With Barr coming off RS and the guys coming in over the next couple years, there's no room at the inn for transfers.
Can't see anyone portaling in? Or cannot identify anyone? I see options from 174-197, maybe for 1 or 2 guys. Maybe none. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Truax like one year transfer. We have Barr at 184 (this year). He looks to go obviously. But if Carter leaves we have 174 and of course the obvious 197 spot. 174 could be Facundo, could be Ryder. 197 could be Mirasola. But neither of those is a lock. Mirasola and Ryder would ideally be able to train for a year to be ready to go. If an AA from another school wanted to be 197 for PSU for a year (like Dean or Truax) and the staff brings him in ... lets go. If not ... we roll with the young guys (and get a healthy SVN back).

Reactions: ikS
If the Mirasolas are ever gonna shirt they would likely prefer shirting together -- and the coaches might prefer it too. And Cole would seem to benefit from a year of college S&C training.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a 197 import even if Connor is ready. Maybe Cochran is good enough to start, but the coaches may want to compete the spot.

And while it seems like Kerk is returning, if he doesn't for some reason, then a HWT import is likely.

Went to Iowa this weekend and on the way back stopped into a place called Fat Hill brewing in Mason city. They had a porter that was to die for so ended up spending the night

Anyway I heard from a reliable source ( I.e bartender who had on Iowa attire ) that Gabe wanted out of Iowa . Something about wanting to make amends with Penn state fans .

Naturally I was skeptical but the more I drank and the more she talked I was convinced.

I’d like to see Penn State stay clear of the portal this year , nobody in and nobody out.

285 maybe, if Kerk doesn’t return. Although a beefed up Cochran could fill the slot well I think.
Cochran is penciled in at 197, so if he goes up instead, then there'd be an opening at 197 instead. If Kerk doesn't return, there is definitely an opening at HWT that they would probably address in the portal. My understanding (based on no inside information at all) is that he is coming back, but we'll see, I guess.

I believe I read that Barraclough is looking to get a graduate degree in his chosen field of study (biomedical engineering) and has been accepted at several schools. Penn State, BYU and ASU.

Given that ASU could really, really use a 165 next year, if he leaves as a grad transfer and gets school paid for, good for him.

If the Mirasolas are ever gonna shirt they would likely prefer shirting together -- and the coaches might prefer it too. And Cole would seem to benefit from a year of college S&C training.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a 197 import even if Connor is ready. Maybe Cochran is good enough to start, but the coaches may want to compete the spot.

And while it seems like Kerk is returning, if he doesn't for some reason, then a HWT import is likely.
I guess a one year transfer for 197 could be ok, although I'm good with letting Cochran get his turn, too. He's been a trooper and the win vs Slavakouski shows he has the ability to hold down the spot for a year. I expect he'd qualify for NCAAs with an outside shot at AA. Even with Starocci and Brooks leaving, there's little doubt PSU will be overwhelming favorites again next year whether with Cochran or anyone else at 197. Fricchione is still there, too. He another decent enough option for a year.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I believe I read that Barraclough is looking to get a graduate degree in his chosen field of study (biomedical engineering) and has been accepted at several schools. Penn State, BYU and ASU.

Given that ASU could really, really use a 165 next year, if he leaves as a grad transfer and gets school paid for, good for him.
Reading the comments on here from PSUBiomed will only reinforce his decision to pursue his degree elsewhere for academic reasons. LOL.

Fricchione is still there, too. He another decent enough option for a year.
Fricchione is 2-2 this year, 2 wins over sub-.500 guys, 2 losses to guys with winning records. He only faced 1 starter (a loss).

Maybe in subsequent years, but there is no chance the coaches will plan for him to start in 2025.

Fricchione is 2-2 this year, 2 wins over sub-.500 guys, 2 losses to guys with winning records. He only faced 1 starter (a loss).

Maybe in subsequent years, but there is no chance the coaches will plan for him to start in 2025.
No, the plan should be for Cochran at 197, but Fricchione would be an adequate emergency back up if Cochran got hurt or something. With a year in the room, AJ would be able to handle the non-elite duals at 197 next season and probably at least a decent shot to qualify for NCAAs.

There are going to be some potentially interesting options at 197 for Penn State if you look around the country. I think best practice would be to get a one-year rental at 197 while Mirasola takes a redshirt. Yeah, we look like the favorites now, but injuries happen and I don't want to risk winning a nationals so close to home.

There are going to be some potentially interesting options at 197 for Penn State if you look around the country. I think best practice would be to get a one-year rental at 197 while Mirasola takes a redshirt. Yeah, we look like the favorites now, but injuries happen and I don't want to risk winning a nationals so close to home.
Cardenas makes by far the most sense. East Coast kid with 1 year left. Off seeds (removing seniors), here's Top 10 at 197 next year.

1. Beard
2. Cardenas
3. Glazier
4. Buchanan
5. Little
6. Allred
7. Smith
8. Elam
9. Hopkins
10. Poznanski

Went to Iowa this weekend and on the way back stopped into a place called Fat Hill brewing in Mason city. They had a porter that was to die for so ended up spending the night

Anyway I heard from a reliable source ( I.e bartender who had on Iowa attire ) that Gabe wanted out of Iowa . Something about wanting to make amends with Penn state fans .

Naturally I was skeptical but the more I drank and the more she talked I was convinced.

I’d like to see Penn State stay clear of the portal this year , nobody in and nobody out.
Also heard some rumors floating around in Iowa that a pair of twins might be in the portal come next Monday.

Also heard some rumors floating around in Iowa that a pair of twins might be in the portal come next Monday.
Heard that as well but from a non reliable source . I mean it wasn’t someone with bartender credentials…

But in all seriousness, if it turns out to be true , would that draw any interest from other teams

Reactions: ikS and 82bordeaux

Grad students in engineering don’t typically pay for tuition, and get a moderate stipend. They will get research or teaching assistantships paid for by research grants from their advisors.

For some reason I’m drawing a blank on who the twins could be, unless this is a joke about the Brands brothers?

Grad students in engineering don’t typically pay for tuition, and get a moderate stipend. They will get research or teaching assistantships paid for by research grants from their advisors.
Correct. No one in my grad school program paid a dime.

That said, if he wants to wrestle it could be difficult to combine that with a TA position as well, depending on the position and professor he’s working with.

I’d heard the same schools, but that he was thinking MBA. I’ll root for him no matter where he goes.

They had a porter that was to die for so ended up spending the night
giphy.gif

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
If the DC/Burroughs banter was accurate and the biggest programs are feasting on mid-level programs, who would those targets be for Penn State?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT