ADVERTISEMENT

Aside from ethics questions, I think the lesson from Michigan's run is...

KC-KS-Lion

Oct 10, 2005
....the impact of depth on both lines.

They've traditionally sent high round draft picks to the NFL, but with Harbaugh, especially with the transfer portal, they're loaded up with lower round draft picks (some not even not draft-worthy) that can rotate on both lines to not just wear the other team down, but adjust as they had with PSU's edge rushers.

I had hoped PSU would have seen this, especially in the BCS, and brought more than their 1 OL in from the portal.

We'll see if Michigan continues with this strategy and success, given they've reached 'the goal' (some underclassmen may not return) and Harbaugh may be gone.

Per their and OSU's wideouts compared to PSU's, I think it's as much about play calling (confusion and misdirection...even victimized Alabama and Washington) than outright one-on-one straight-ahead speed. The other issue I have with PSU's wideouts is winning contested balls.

Both these are correctable.

They've traditionally sent high round draft picks to the NFL, but with Harbaugh, especially with the transfer portal, they're loaded up with lower round draft picks (some not even not draft-worthy) that can rotate on both lines to not just wear the other team down, but adjust as they had with PSU's edge rushers.

I had hoped PSU would have seen this, especially in the BCS, and brought more than their 1 OL in from the portal.

We'll see if Michigan continues with this strategy and success, given they've reached 'the goal' (some underclassmen may not return) and Harbaugh may be gone.

Per their and OSU's wideouts compared to PSU's, I think it's as much about play calling (confusion and misdirection...even victimized Alabama and Washington) than outright one-on-one straight-ahead speed. The other issue I have with PSU's wideouts is winning contested balls.

I think every team should try to hire 3-4 first three rounds OL and add them to their best 3 or 4 OL and then all the mediocre players at other positions will play confident and poised and look great... no matter....

You can point to the line play and other things, but to me the reality is Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards were the most important pieces of that team. Mostly Corum. It's a combination of scheme and player - Corum especially was deadly. Strong, quick, decisive, and hard for defenses to locate. By the time you found him he was running through your secondary. We'll see what happens once he leaves. My guess is they won't be as good.

In a direct comparison of Portal need on DL UM picked up the Coastal Carolina kid who was a difference maker and made a few critical big plays.

Our guy from ODU got hurt- so we missed our shot at a possibly similar impact. When it comes to fine tuning a well oiled machine the quality of the oil can make a difference.

So in a micro analysis- their guy stepped up from the same league and paid off. Maybe next year we get the same bump from Ford?

We will see.

You can point to the line play and other things, but to me the reality is Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards were the most important pieces of that team. Mostly Corum. It's a combination of scheme and player - Corum especially was deadly. Strong, quick, decisive, and hard for defenses to locate. By the time you found him he was running through your secondary. We'll see what happens once he leaves. My guess is they won't be as good.
Corum does fit their team and personality...hard to find behind the line any time. It will be interesting to see how Edwards plays next year...seems like he was underutilized this year...caught one game where they brought Corum back in with the team inside of the 5 subbing for Edwards who had no TDs to that point.

If only you could isolate only Corum leaving to see if your assumption is correct. Unfortunately, that assumption will never be provable.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It is appreciated.

You sort of touched on the most important lesson without saying it explicitly.

It’s called great across the board coaching.

Michigan has one hell of a coaching staff. They do a phenomenal job of developing players who are not five star recruits. Their run diversity and play calling is very clever in generating explosive plays.

On defense, Jesse Minter is tremendous at hiding his blitzes and his players are great fundamental tacklers.

I think every team should try to hire 3-4 first three rounds OL and add them to their best 3 or 4 OL and then all the mediocre players at other positions will play confident and poised and look great... no matter....

Only recruit nfl Hall of famers.

Who do you recommend in the next class?

Reactions: PSUSignore
It helps to have the guy who stole signals. I say hire him.

Michigan got good after doing nothing for years with Harbaugh. It started when they took the oc away from gattis. They went back to basics.

I always thought most teams could take a page from the old wisconsin running game. Psu should do the same. We could still pass and would have more fire power. I want to see a team that can run when we need to run.

If only you could isolate only Corum leaving to see if your assumption is correct. Unfortunately, that assumption will never be provable.
Perhaps, professor. My. assumption when he was about to leave NE was that Tom Brady was a key piece of the Patriot Way. How has that worked out so far? Not one coach from the Belichick tree has had sustained success, and the man himself was fired

With Corum you have to figure he's the starter for a reason. Their center went down and he continued to succeed. Michigan usually has good line play, but I haven't seen this level of success from them in the running game. If they run the same plays for a couple of years and have less success then that will be good enough for me, even if some like you say there is no proof. I guess when I see a guy gash my team's defense and have a cut above his nose still bleeding after the game I have some respect for him despite my general hatred of UM.

Last edited:
Perhaps, professor. My. assumption when he was about to leave NE was that Tom Brady was a key piece of the Patriot Way. How has that worked out so far? Not one coach from the Belichick true has had sustained success, and the man himself was fired

With Corum you have to figure he's the starter for a reason. Their center went down and he continued to succeed. Michigan usually has good line play, but I haven't seen this level of success from them in the running game. If they run the same plays for a couple of years and have less success then that will be good enough for me, even if some like you say there is no proof. I guess when I see a guy gash my team's defense and have a cut above his nose still bleeding after the game I have some respect for him despite my general hatred of UM.
You’re assuming I think Corum isn’t a huge part to UM’s success. I never said he wasn’t and I don’t believe he wasn’t. I merely stated you’ll never be able to prove that Corum being gone is the reason UM will/wont be better next year.

Corum is a good player and a huge part of UM’s success. UM was a lot different the past two playoff cycles with and without Corum. Was he all the difference between the two seasons? Possibly.

Sorry can't ignore the ethics issues.

Only recruit nfl Hall of famers.

Who do you recommend in the next class?
Reading is fundamental. I never mentioned 'recruit'. Try again. I stated he bought .. or brought in 3 more NFL caliber OL via the transfer port. He also retained several 5th year seniors making the OL one not seen anywhere in college football. A mere footnote to some but I think crucial to their Natty run.

Last edited:
Reactions: dailybuck777
Make no mistake, Harbaugh built Michigan like Alabama........It took him many, many years to do this and had he not been a legacy, Michigan would have fired him 4 years ago. His Michigan heritage bought him the extra time.
Michigan's key to success was two fold.
1. Ball control running game, because of the line, not the running backs.
2. Dominant front seven.
The common theme with championship teams is that have a dominant front seven and running game that can control the clock at the end of the game....IE....grind out a few clutch first downs...IE....give the opposing team less possessions down the stretch.
That's the model in college football to win a championship.
McCarthy was the weakest QB to win the national championship since Jake Coker at Bama in 2015. They won with a smothering defense and the ability to keep the ball out of the hands of their opponent.
Aside from the 2019 LSU team, who had an anomaly exceptional offense, like PSU 1994, every other team to win the title over the past 8-10 years crushed it in the front seven. When I say crushed it I mean practically every player on those teams front seven go on to play in the NFL, that goes for Clemson, Georgia, Bama and Michigan
It sounds boring but it is the constant.
Field an amazing front seven, you have a chance. Why? Because when the other guy can't get into rhythm on offense because Joey Bosa or Christian Wilkins or Travon Walker or Quinnen Williams is chasing them every play, you have a better chance to win than your opponent.
What about Penn State defense this year? They had a top defensive unit, however, they did not have a dominant front seven. They had top defensive ends and good outside linebackers but I think as the Peach Bowl showed that defense went as far Johnny Dixon and Kalen King went. They were the key that opened the door for the front seven.

PSU has been bringing in 4+ 3/4* OL each year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT