ADVERTISEMENT

PSU picks up another transfer commit (link)

I like the pick up but generally hate the whole 'portal' concept. How are weak schools supposed to rebuild when they lose what talent they have? I'd like to see the system tweaked to promote greater parity, something the Power 5 "haves" don't want at all.

I like the pick up but generally hate the whole 'portal' concept. How are weak schools supposed to rebuild when they lose what talent they have? I'd like to see the system tweaked to promote greater parity, something the Power 5 "haves" don't want at all.
I don't like it either. But, it appears here to stay. Like I didn't like free agency in baseball. PSU needs to have the portal as a two way street.

Reactions: acg116 and TheGLOV
I hate it too. However, PSU has been late to this game, whereas schools like LSU, OU, OSU, UGA, have engaged in it, and all of those schools have made the playoffs in recent years. Therefore, the portal now has become an essential part of stockpiling talent; it must be done.

Players have been transferring for decades. This isn’t a ‘portal’ thing

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
HA.....waiting for all coaching visits / budgets to be eliminated with recruiting 100% through “THE PORTAL”. Schools won’t offer athletes.....athletes will offer the school. (Some sarcasm here.....)

CFB has been heading toward the dumpster for years; the NCAA allowing immediate eligibility in high-profile situations over the last several years opened the door and now free agency has totally changed (and will continue to ruin) the game.

Joey Porter is a future safety.

Did you hear that from your "source" ??

Yep, he has the size for it, and is one of the best tacklers on defense. But the question remains as to whether CJF and Smith will move their best CB to shore up another position....

Reactions: bison13
Did you hear that from your "source" ??

Yep, he has the size for it, and is one of the best tacklers on defense. But the question remains as to whether CJF and Smith will move their best CB to shore up another position....
No. But I recall that when he was recruited there was talk of him growing into a hybrid safety/LB.

HA.....waiting for all coaching visits / budgets to be eliminated with recruiting 100% through “THE PORTAL”. Schools won’t offer athletes.....athletes will offer the school. (Some sarcasm here.....)

CFB has been heading toward the dumpster for years; the NCAA allowing immediate eligibility in high-profile situations over the last several years opened the door and now free agency has totally changed (and will continue to ruin) the game.
You should stop watching and following it now before your break those pearls

I hate it too. However, PSU has been late to this game, whereas schools like LSU, OU, OSU, UGA, have engaged in it, and all of those schools have made the playoffs in recent years. Therefore, the portal now has become an essential part of stockpiling talent; it must be done.

The Portal is not a great fit with Franklin's Family/Team atmosphere that he uses to sell recruits and their families on the PSU football program, or a fit to the "get your degree in 3 years" academic model. When Franklin had more of an 85 scholarship roster that enrolled and developed with minimal attrition he could be reasonably certain to fill in talent across each position. If not top talent, at least some experienced players.

But with the uncertainty of portal losses sometimes concentrated at a few positions, and the losses of players to the NFL before they have really had much of an impact at PSU, along with Franklin's inability to recruit the 5 star talent that the top couple of programs bring in yearly that are more ready to just step onto campus and contribute, he has no choice but to get active in the Portal......

No. But I recall that when he was recruited there was talk of him growing into a hybrid safety/LB.

I remember that as well. But that was before he became PSU's best CB.

It will be an interesting Spring practice, if there is a Spring practice....

His backfield mate Jammie Robinson is also in the portal....safety....
Dixon had one of the best offer sheets a recruit can obtain.......big, big, addition.
Our multi-media coaches need to be hitting up Jammie and selling PSU.

Can he be as good at Safety as he is a CB? I'm sure its more sophisticated than the high school challenge of putting "the best" 11 on the field.....but without the benefit of observing practice....it appears that PSU has some up and coming corners.

The Portal is not a great fit with Franklin's Family/Team atmosphere that he uses to sell recruits and their families on the PSU football program, or a fit to the "get your degree in 3 years" academic model. When Franklin had more of an 85 scholarship roster that enrolled and developed with minimal attrition he could be reasonably certain to fill in talent across each position. If not top talent, at least some experienced players.

But with the uncertainty of portal losses sometimes concentrated at a few positions, and the losses of players to the NFL before they have really had much of an impact at PSU, along with Franklin's inability to recruit the 5 star talent that the top couple of programs bring in yearly that are more ready to just step onto campus and contribute, he has no choice but to get active in the Portal......
If its not broke, don't fix it. 4-5 says it's broke. I don't like taking JUCOs and transfers, cause I'm an ancient JoeBOT and I do believe that there needs to be a "team" and family approach. However, I understand and accept that Coach Franklin needs to be pragmatic and amend his approach. I give him credit for being willing to explore change.

Can he be as good at Safety as he is a CB? I'm sure its more sophisticated than the high school challenge of putting "the best" 11 on the field.....but without the benefit of observing practice....it appears that PSU has some up and coming corners.
It's just like it has always been only more-so. Some can play both, but at the highest levels it's fewer guys who can. We all saw how Marcus Allen was a great player for us (although his pass defense was always a little suspect). We wouldn't ever put MA at corner. However, seems like a reasonable guess that a corner with good size can usually/always play safety. You could argue that a safety is often regarded as captain of the defense and needs more awareness of the field but that's pretty old school.

I agree. The 4 team playoff system has already slanted the HS player recruiting toward 5 or 6 teams (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, maybe LSU/Notre Dame?). Now the portal is going to push the better players who made the "mistake" of signing with other teams onto those same 5 or 6 teams. Teams like Penn State who land in the rest of the top 25 will attract the best of the rest players in the portal, simultaneously raising their talent level and hurting the teams who gave these kids a chance to show their ability. As the transfer numbers increase, you may see the day where these top teams fill half or more of their available scholarship slots with high-performing transfers who made a name for themselves outside of the "Elite 5 or 6".

I understand that the players deserve some flexibility but this system will continue to worsen every year until something is changed (maybe starting with expanding the playoff system and getting back toward the requirement to sit out a year). I'm not saying I have this all figured out and my ideas for changes may not work at all. I just don't like the way college football is headed.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

I'm sure you agree that the portal is not like an all you can eat buffet. I'll assume that the staff has projected precisely where a transfer fits into the roster they see returning, I don't think they are just adding random players. Either they have a safety or 2 in their sights (portal) or they see that position being filled by players currently on the roster (perhaps playing a different position currently).
The negative might be that they know a or some current CB who are planning to leave?

The article I saw listed him as 5’11”, 170. So, if that is correct, it appears CB is the position.

This is a great pick up at a position of need. We have to assume TCF is at least considering the draft right now, but even if he sticks around, we have been lacking at DB for a while and you can never have enough speed back there. Pry would love to go straight man and blitz more often. That's how he learned to do it from Bud Foster.

I'm sure you agree that the portal is not like an all you can eat buffet. I'll assume that the staff has projected precisely where a transfer fits into the roster they see returning, I don't think they are just adding random players. Either they have a safety or 2 in their sights (portal) or they see that position being filled by players currently on the roster (perhaps playing a different position currently).
The negative might be that they know a or some current CB who are planning to leave?

They may be waiting to see who we uncover and recommend.

• Haha
Reactions: OhioLion

Agree wholeheartedly, but the last few years showed me that the traditional Penn State model will never win us a national championship. After Justin Fields was allowed immediate eligibility for no discernible reason and Chase Young was allowed to take benefits and get a slap-on-the-wrist, suspension for just the amount of time necessary to have him play against PSU, I had to accept the new reality.

We are never going to cheat and provide money and benefits and that is fine with me. If we are going to play minor league football like O$U, Clemson, Bama etc count me out. However not availing yourself of the transfer portal is hamstringing yourself to such a degree that being competitive would be impossible.

There has to be competition for spots to improve a program. The staff needs to start looking for a QB and a few DEs if we are going to be competitive within the league next year. It is just the reality of the game now.

Agree wholeheartedly, but the last few years showed me that the traditional Penn State model will never win us a national championship. After Justin Fields was allowed immediate eligibility for no discernible reason and Chase Young was allowed to take benefits and get a slap-on-the-wrist, suspension for just the amount of time necessary to have him play against PSU, I had to accept the new reality.

We are never going to cheat and provide money and benefits and that is fine with me. If we are going to play minor league football like O$U, Clemson, Bama etc count me out. However not availing yourself of the transfer portal is hamstringing yourself to such a degree that being competitive would be impossible.

There has to be competition for spots to improve a program. The staff needs to start looking for a QB and a few DEs if we are going to be competitive within the league next year. It is just the reality of the game now.
IMO, only 2 kinds of QB will be considered. 1 a QB that has already demonstrated that they are head and shoulders above Clifford (good luck finding him in this year's portal) or a highly rated recruit that has 3 years of eligibility remaining and for some reason is disenchanted with his current situation (coaching or philosophy change).
I'd bet Cliff is the starter next year.

Players have been transferring for decades. This isn’t a ‘portal’ thing
Well! It is ramped up to be the big thing! Not many restrictions!! Free agency!! Kids pick first school, doesn’t work out, then there is the portal!! Don’t like it! But it doesn’t seem to be going away!! So I need to adapt to it.

Well! It is ramped up to be the big thing! Not many restrictions!! Free agency!! Kids pick first school, doesn’t work out, then there is the portal!! Don’t like it! But it doesn’t seem to be going away!! So I need to adapt to it.
Yep, transferring for decades.......but tempered by 1 year of ineligibility. This year, transfer rules make it unrestricted free agency. Quite a difference.

If its not broke, don't fix it. 4-5 says it's broke. I don't like taking JUCOs and transfers, cause I'm an ancient JoeBOT and I do believe that there needs to be a "team" and family approach. However, I understand and accept that Coach Franklin needs to be pragmatic and amend his approach. I give him credit for being willing to explore change.

I like Franklin, and I have from the day he was hired, but I really don't give him any credit for being willing to explore changes.

A 4-5 record is likely the motivation that caused him to explore change.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT