ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - OSU Match Thread

Perhaps, but you’re talking about a 5th year Senior Lugo compared to a true freshman Bartlett.
It’s fairly obvious which was more impressive. Not to mention that Lugo failed to get a TD vs Sasso in their first match last year.

That is what they look like with fresh legs. Good, fun and entertaining match.
Robbie - I thought he looked fine. Considering he is a week removed from medical clearance to compete his conditioning looks solid and his live technique should improve rapidly with more live goes.
RBY - WOW! March should be fun.
Nick - Just grind them into dust. The matches between Nick, Rivera and Eierman should be fun as hell to watch.
Beau - yep.
Brady - offense skills are sufficient to be elite, like everybody else i sure would like to see 8 or 9 legitimate attacks versus a couple.
Joe - yeah he gets sloppy, but brother Nick got stuck a time or two as a freshman and he has turned out pretty good.
Carter - Tough as nails and impressive. I would like to see his shots come off of lateral movement versus straight in and out.
Aaron - watching him wrestle those good non big10 kids is going to fun.
Beard - treated Hoffman like a junior high irritant a week after pushing Amine to the limit.
Seth - nice win, but as someone else posted Seth needs to spend an off-season with Cassar.

Just a heads up. On Monday when they look more sluggish against an outgunned Maryland team than they did tonight, remember there is a reason. There is a plan. Just don't ask Pyles what the plan is.

I don't want to come across as too disparaging vs Seth but...

Seth is 4-1 with two very close ones against weaker guys. Orndorf is now 4-6, he is marginally athletic at best, not aggressive, pear shaped... training against Singletary in their room.

Seth is a former #1 in the nation at his weight recruit, 4x state champ training with Snyder, Cassar, Cael and Kerk. He has been in the room for 3 years. For crying out loud, hell yes, he should rip guys like Orndorf a new one.

I think it is a fair observation. Do I think he can/should hold his own vs Gable, Paris or Cassi? No way. He did pretty well against Paris all things considered, and showed some aggression.

Seth was not #1 at his weight; he was ranked behind Steveson, Parris and Cassioppi.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be very successful at 149 this season and he showed that against Sasso.

Close losses don't do it for me Chris. Show me a signature win and then I'll be on board the Bartlett hype train at 149. For now, I'm hoping he can qualify for nationals and win a match or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
2 comments on Howard and Lee matches.
Both wrestler looked aggressive which is always a good sign.
Howard was looking for a big move, feet to back homerun. It works in high school but college is different animal. He'll figure it out that sometimes you look for 2 instead of 6.
Lee likes to let it fly , he got caught. If he was able to get off back he would of picked the kid apart. Lee will get put on his back because of the way he wrestles. Eventually he'll understand when to give up 2 instead of taking the risk to fight off a bad situation.

Close losses don't do it for me Chris. Show me a signature win and then I'll be on board the Bartlett hype train at 149. For now, I'm hoping he can qualify for nationals and win a match or two.

We just disagree then. Sasso is the best 149 guy in the nation, IMO, and as difficult to score on as anyone. For Beau to get a clean TD and wrestle him his toughest match of the year, as a true freshman in his second match at 149, it clearly puts him in the top 8 in the nation at the weight.

That Beard is a STRONG MAN!!! Tossed Hoffman around like a rag doll! He is going to befun to watch. Not gonna be pretty finesse matches. I think we are gonna a see a lot of brute force maulings by Beard!!!
I would have to disagree. It’s not like we just watched Kevin Steinhaus. In three matches we’ve seen a variety of attacks and a much more than pedestrian pace. That he couldn’t finish on Amine (who I believe will be Champ or Runner up at the end) is not surprising given Amine’s experience and the manner of his losses to Hall and ZV. I think we have a finesse wrestler with brute force strength.

I have been rather impressed by Beard so far and Mike Evans mustache doesn’t stand up to mine.

Last edited:
We just disagree then. Sasso is the best 149 guy in the nation, IMO, and as difficult to score on as anyone. For Beau to get a clean TD and wrestle him his toughest match of the year, as a true freshman in his second match at 149, it clearly puts him in the top 8 in the nation at the weight.

Someone should just start another 149 thread to further debate the 149 topic.

Oh wait... Nvm.

😉

I think the exciting thing is this team is going to be fun to watch at B10's and Nationals. This is a scary good, very young team that Coach Sanderson will have ready for tournament season. Put it this way, I would not want to be a high seed going up against one of these young guns with nothing to lose at nationals. I am predicting we qualify 9-10 for Nationals, all of which will have podium potential (some very high on the podium) making for a very exciting tournament.

Reactions: diggerpup

I agree close losses don’t do it for me as well. That being said if BB was day one starter at 149, I believe we’d be 5-1 at the weight during the duals and not 1-5 and if that were the case he would have had Storr, Rooks and Thomas on his resume (IMO)

It was a really enjoyable match as a fan.

Generally the guys attacked, as Penn State wrestler have been known to do in the last ten years or if they weren't attaching you had confidence that they were going to come out on top by the final whistle.

I'm now getting that "second half of the match feeling back". A couple of years ago, and years before that, I would have the feeling that no matter what the damn score was, after intermission, Cenz, Hall, Rasheed, Bo and Anthony we coming out with wins, match won. Even if you replace some of those names, the other wrestle will battle like hell like Mason Manville.

So I have that feeling back that I should relax and just enjoy the event. Having Howard in the lineup adds to enjoyment.
Also, I know think Aaron Brooks stepping out on the mat is nearly automatic in my thinking. He is so powerful and in control of all situations he is fun to watch as he works his craft.

Few people are more classy than the Jordan brothers. I still remember Micah went out of his way to shake all 3 of our coach's hands after the techfall by Nolf (all the brothers do it) They're humble in victory and defeat.
Could not agree more! Class acts on and off the mat.

They're all great kids who represent the sport the right way. No need to trash their wrestling when they're all great wrestlers.

Nick Lee at who’s number 1
That’s odd. I don’t remember Nick ever wrestling Sasso. Was it in high school?
Yes. Nick Lees senior year. Was a takedown clinic. I think he majored Sasso
I remember that match, but had to look it up to be sure. It was 8-3 Nick Lee over Sasso, with three takedowns.

While I was looking, came across some interesting results from 2015 too;
Mason Manville, over Hayden Hidlay
Gavin Teasdale over Roman Bravo-Young
Luke Pletcher of Yianni Diakomihalis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT