ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - OSU Match Thread

A 32’ diameter mat is 804 square feet.

A 42’ diameter mat is 1385 square feet.

That’s a gigantic difference.

Is wrestling the only sport besides baseball which allows for such variation in the playing surface?

Is wrestling the only sport besides baseball which allows for such variation in the playing surface?
Formula 1?

This - All due respect but I think Michael has bigger goals in mind than beating Gavin Hoffman.

Considering he clapped in his face after the pin was called, certainly looked like he had some extra motivation for that one.

Golf & Tennis

We just disagree then. Sasso is the best 149 guy in the nation, IMO, and as difficult to score on as anyone. For Beau to get a clean TD and wrestle him his toughest match of the year, as a true freshman in his second match at 149, it clearly puts him in the top 8 in the nation at the weight.
You aren’t alone here. You can tell he wanted that match. He’s going to be dynamite. Athleticism and he’s going to buy in to the Cael way and come out with enormous gains.

I rewatched the dual this afternoon. I swear the tOSU kids were all trying their edge finishes at the corners. Call me looney, but I can’t help but wonder if this was a point of emphasis against us, as we have so frequently cut and edged take downs against them and well, everyone.

I rewatched the matches too and it sure seemed the OSU wrestlers were using the edge as part of their defensive strategy.

I counted 8 times when we were in deep only to see them scamper OOB. I counted only once when the wood worked in our favor.

Since the recent institution of the OOB rules that has had the effect of keeping wrestling in the active area, I have not seen the edge used as a part of the defense like it seemed Friday night.
Prior to the rules change, Rob Koll had it as part of routine strategy. We may nit have liked it but it was allowed. Today, you really can’t retreat there consistently. Friday night, it seemed to me they were hedging on inconsistent application.
Do what you gotta do, I guess.

Considering he clapped in his face after the pin was called, certainly looked like he had some extra motivation for that one.
will need to re-watch.. was just ill-timed clapping (too early)? Big result for him.

will need to re-watch.. was just ill-timed clapping (too early)? Big result for him.

I actually just did to see if I was remembering correctly. Maybe it wasn’t “right in his face” but he was definitely looking right at Hoffman when he did it.

Edit: and for the record I don’t have a problem with it

Reactions: Nitt Fan
"That's not a knife........THIS is a knife!"...... Crocodile Dundee. That is the first thought that popped into my head seeing that mat :)
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Finally able to watch match. I thought Howard, Bartlett and joe Lee did well, young under sized, especially Bartlett, every 49 lber will be longer and do same ties sasso did, he will surprise me if he makes it to nationals or gets any points there. Berge and carter are going to have difficult time in tourny with keeping every match 1 or2 point wins at end. Beard will be good. Nevills may score a cpl. RBY, N LEE and Brooks should be in finals.

NHL hockey ice areas were different sizes and shapes for years. The Old Boston Garden was notorious for how small it was.
When new arenas started to get built they started to incorporate the international (Olympic) size ice area which was a larger skating area. The other notable difference with International Ice layout was the amount of distance behind the net was greater than what NHL used.
I'm not sure if NHL has adopted rules on new construction to be all the same size and dimensions (corner contour). I imagine Old buildings are Grand Fathered.

Finally able to watch match. I thought Howard, Bartlett and joe Lee did well, young under sized, especially Bartlett, every 49 lber will be longer and do same ties sasso did, he will surprise me if he makes it to nationals or gets any points there. Berge and carter are going to have difficult time in tourny with keeping every match 1 or2 point wins at end. Beard will be good. Nevills may score a cpl. RBY, N LEE and Brooks should be in finals.
Bartlett not make nationals?? Typo, or are you sharing a closet with PD3?

I didn't think what Michael did was wrong in any way and I am often disgusted by showboating or taunting.

Michael won a match by the best way the sport has to win - by pin. He secured the team victory against Penn State's biggest rival. He was wrestling a recruiting adversary and past opponent. A lot of emotions were there.

After the pin, what I saw was Michael getting up and away from Gavin and celebrating his win by clapping as he moved backwards. I saw no unsportsmanship in his celebration. I replayed it for someone else and they felt the same way. He was applauding himself for his effort nothing more. Who would not!

Now had he stayed low and clapped, I would agree.

Plus that is not Cael's team style. Michael was just being human. I loved him getting the fall and would not want it any other way but i did feel bad for Gavin.

I didn't think what Michael did was wrong in any way and I am often disgusted by showboating or taunting.

Michael won a match by the best way the sport has to win - by pin. He secured the team victory against Penn State's biggest rival. He was wrestling a recruiting adversary and past opponent. A lot of emotions were there.

After the pin, what I saw was Michael getting up and away from Gavin and celebrating his win by clapping as he moved backwards. I saw no unsportsmanship in his celebration. I replayed it for someone else and they felt the same way. He was applauding himself for his effort nothing more. Who would not!

Now had he stayed low and clapped, I would agree.

Plus that is not Cael's team style. Michael was just being human. I loved him getting the fall and would not want it any other way but i did feel bad for Gavin.

Agreed. After watching several times I am starting to scratch my head as to how this controversy got started on the first place. It wasn't much different than any instant celebration or emotion any wrestler typically exhibits after a pin. A fist pump, Bo with his hands outstretched, even less emotion than a head gear toss which we have seen many times before.

Did Michael seen to wrestle with some extra motivation? Maybe, I think there may be more to the story there, but I saw zero disrespect or poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Agreed. After watching several times I am starting to scratch my head as to how this controversy got started on the first place. It wasn't much different than any instant celebration or emotion any wrestler typically exhibits after a pin. A fist pump, Bo with his hands outstretched, even less emotion than a head gear toss which we have seen many times before.

Did Michael seen to wrestle with some extra motivation? Maybe, I think there may be more to the story there, but I saw zero disrespect or poor sportsmanship.
More energy by some on this board about a kid celebrating a huge win than a disgruntled dad who’s yapped for years about the injustice of Cael picking Beard over his son.

Boomers gonna boom

Reactions: nitlion6

No doubt. Beau was a huge surprise to the upside imho. The one that I was a little surprised to the downside was Robbie - Heinselman was dominant in those scrambles and I'm not sure he's even Top 8 @25.

I was just using it as evidence that he likely did have extra motivation for that match, again I don’t have a problem with it. It was also called out by someone else during the match thread too btw

Every 49 lber that Beau meets in the post season will not have the skills of Sasso. Same for Berge and Starocci's opponents. I'm excited for this young team this year and stoked for the next few years as they progress in the process!

Reactions: PABulldogs
No doubt. Beau was a huge surprise to the upside imho. The one that I was a little surprised to the downside was Robbie - Heinselman was dominant in those scrambles and I'm not sure he's even Top 8 @25.

In all fairness I will agree that Robbie's two matches were less impressive than some are celebrating here, but don't ignore two key considerations:

1) F#@k yeah, we finally have a 125, and he has talent!

2) More importantly. Something held Robbie back from properly training until just a few weeks ago. His shoulder, CV, another injury, we have no information other than Cael saying he hasn't had much time in the room. He is a couple of mouths behind the rest of the team in the process. I don't know if he has enough time between now and March to close the gap, but we have not seen all Robbie can bring to the table this year just yet. I am a buyer.

2) More importantly. Something held Robbie back from properly training until just a few weeks ago. His shoulder, CV, another injury, we have no information other than Cael saying he hasn't had much time in the room. He is a couple of mouths behind the rest of the team in the process. I don't know if he has enough time between now and March to close the gap, but we have not seen all Robbie can bring to the table this year just yet. I am a buyer.

That’s a good place to be for making weight.

I watch Beard in 3 matches now and anyone who thinks he isn’t a major contender right now is just ignoring the obvious.
He got outmaneuvered a few times against Amine but I feel like he pushed his pace/presence in that match.
That match Friday was just a manifestation of what I think Beard is right now. He’s a hammer and he’s only at his initial stages of development.

Bartlett's biggest problem isn't his talent. It's that the Big Ten only has 7 spots at 149 and he doesn't have a win over a D1 starter at the weight because of the late move, making him a wildcard longshot. Right now the 7th ranked guy in the big ten is Rooks, who beat Verk. Then you also have other tough outs like Blockhus, Hardy, Scharenbrock, etc... None of those guys are easy outs for an undersized true freshman.

I think Bartlett is definitely one of the best 33 at 149, but he has little room for error to make it.

Bartlett's biggest problem isn't his talent. It's that the Big Ten only has 7 spots at 149 and he doesn't have a win over a D1 starter at the weight because of the late move, making him a wildcard longshot. Right now the 7th ranked guy in the big ten is Rooks, who beat Verk. Then you also have other tough outs like Blockhus, Hardy, Scharenbrock, etc... None of those guys are easy outs for an undersized true freshman.

I think Bartlett is definitely one of the best 33 at 149, but he has little room for error to make it.

Doesn't top 4 at the Big 10s get him there, depending upon who he takes out? If so I feel pretty good, otherwise how do the at large allocations come into play here.

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Does top 4 at the Big 10s get him there, depending upon who he takes out? If so I feel pretty good, otherwise how do the at large allocations come into play here.
Top 7 gets him in. I think he probably does that, but I wouldn't be blown away if he drops a match by getting ridden or muscled around by a bigger guy. Hard to really predict given the limited sample size.

Reactions: ClarencButthorn
One of my buddies pointed out Michael has just looked angry in all his matches this year. Not legitimately angry but fired up. There's a fire within him right now and he just wants to go out and fight. Not just fight but dominate. That Amine match has to have frustrated him to no end but man a great learning experience.

He's been waiting and waiting and I wouldn't be shocked if he secretly wanted to wrestle last year when Shak was struggling (I have no sources, I know his coach is on this board so he can probably shoot this speculation down)

Reactions: hlstone
Top 7 gets him in. I think he probably does that, but I wouldn't be blown away if he drops a match by getting ridden or muscled around by a bigger guy. Hard to really predict given the limited sample size.
Top-8 gets him in this year. Must add the 7 pre-allocation spots to the 1 auto-qualifier.
Finishing 9th is also a possibility with 7 at-large spots available. The criteria is below, and a wrestler must meet at least two to be considered. "Top 33 Coaches Ranking" and "Qualifying event placement one below last pre-allocation spot" are most likely, with the rest a stretch (or impossible).

At-large criteria includes;
• 700 Win %.
• Top 33 Coaches Ranking.
• .700 Win% against all competition.
• One win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification or a pre-allocated spot.
• Qualifying event placement one below last pre-allocation spot.
• Seeded in top 16 during 2020 selections.
• Finished in top 8 during 2019 championships.

Top-8 gets him in this year. Must add the 7 pre-allocation spots to the 1 auto-qualifier.
Finishing 9th is also a possibility with 7 at-large spots available. The criteria is below, and a wrestler must meet at least two to be considered. "Top 33 Coaches Ranking" and "Qualifying event placement one below last pre-allocation spot" are most likely, with the rest a stretch (or impossible).

At-large criteria includes;
• 700 Win %.
• Top 33 Coaches Ranking.
• .700 Win% against all competition.
• One win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification or a pre-allocated spot.
• Qualifying event placement one below last pre-allocation spot.
• Seeded in top 16 during 2020 selections.
• Finished in top 8 during 2019 championships.

There are only 6 pre-allocation spots at 149. He’d have a shot at an at-large depending on who he beats in the B10 tourney, but I wouldn’t really count on it.

You realize he beat Cole Mattin a 12 Seed at last years NCAA right?

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT