ADVERTISEMENT

Please let Tomlin go

Tomlin said post game that it was his call not to put Ben back in because he didn't want to interrupt the flow of the game. Wth?

What flow? The 3 and outs? yea great flow.:rolleyes:
I'm not putting this all on Tomlin, IMO, there is equal share with the OL, Ben, Butler, The defense and especially Boswell, who cant kick the ball into the ocean at this point.
What a waste of money he is.
Is Ficken still available?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Because the PC police will arrest him?
Not sure about the PC police, but if Tomlin admits that Ben was shot up with painkillers it will lead to a barrage of followup questions like, "What was the painkiller?" "What was the dose?" "Has anyone on the Steelers ever been given a higher dose?" "Why not just give him Advil?" etc.

Then the media would investigate and find cases where that pain killer had dire side effects. There would be headlines like "Steelers Jeopardize Ben's Life with Painkiller Injections" It would go on and on. Tomlin is savvy to sidestep the subject.

Really need to tell Boswell bye bye. Every week this clown misses an extra point or field goal. The Steelers just gave him a nice contract at the beginning of the season and he has gotten horrible.

It's amazing how Boswell could go from being absolutely money in the past to this.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
What flow? The 3 and outs? yea great flow.:rolleyes:
I'm not putting this all on Tomlin, IMO, there is equal share with the OL, Ben, Butler, The defense and especially Boswell, who cant kick the ball into the ocean at this point.
What a waste of money he is.
Is Ficken still available?
Thing is, the last two games were lost on the last play TRYING TO TIE THE GAME. There's no guarantee either game would have been won in overtime. Probably not if it came down to Bozo-well. Pathetic.

Reactions: BBrown
Not sure about the PC police, but if Tomlin admits that Ben was shot up with painkillers it will lead to a barrage of followup questions like, "What was the painkiller?" "What was the dose?" "Has anyone on the Steelers ever been given a higher dose?" "Why not just give him Advil?" etc.

Then the media would investigate and find cases where that pain killer had dire side effects. There would be headlines like "Steelers Jeopardize Ben's Life with Painkiller Injections" It would go on and on. Tomlin is savvy to sidestep the subject.
I wish he was that savvy when it comes to coaching.

Reactions: bison13
I have no faith in Boswell at all. After that I have no faith in The Steeler defense being able stop them when it counts.
They left way too much time on the clock when Ben marched them down the field. They shouldn't assume the defense will make a stop to end the game anymore.

Offensive line --no
I thought this was supposed to be the best OL in the NFL? The Raiders had the lowest rated d-line in the league.

It’s amazing how nobody mentions this. Raiders were dead last I believe in rushing. Steelers as a team had 10 carries for 6 yards. That’s on the OL. It has been bad for the past few games.

Tomlin is savvy to sidestep a subject you completely made up, so that he could avoid the made up scenario of reporters' questions about your made up subject? Holy crap, you're reduced to mental contortionism in order to defend Tomlin's idiocy, aren't you?

Tomlin is savvy to sidestep a subject you completely made up, so that he could avoid the made up scenario of reporters' questions about your made up subject? Holy crap, you're reduced to mental contortionism in order to defend Tomlin's idiocy, aren't you?
I'm not a Tomlin fan. I was just trying to make the point that coaches would be stupid to get into the details of how their trainers treat the pain involved with injuries. James Franklin is in the same boat. He will never talk about pain treatment.

Tomlin has to say something like that. He can't say, "We shot Ben up with painkillers and we had to wait for them to kick in."

Except that Ben's comments reflect something totally different. Read between the lines - Ben was pissed.
Tomlin could have absolutely said "we were giving Ben some time to make sure he was ready to go back in". And Ben could have said "we were giving it some time to be sure I was ready to go."

But they didn't. Tomlin blew it. Again.

I think they were being cautious with Ben’s health and hoping to win the game without putting him back in. Obviously it didn’t work out.

Except that Ben's comments reflect something totally different. Read between the lines - Ben was pissed.
Tomlin could have absolutely said "we were giving Ben some time to make sure he was ready to go back in". And Ben could have said "we were giving it some time to be sure I was ready to go."

But they didn't. Tomlin blew it. Again.

I think they were being cautious with Ben’s health and hoping to win the game without putting him back in. Obviously it didn’t work out.

That was my guess as well. Dobbs wasn't very good, I thought maybe they should give the other kid a series or 2.
Their back up RB's are exactly that, backups. They are good for giving the Starter a breather but they aren't going to win many games with them as the feature RBs.

That was my guess as well. Dobbs wasn't very good, I thought maybe they should give the other kid a series or 2.
Their back up RB's are exactly that, backups. They are good for giving the Starter a breather but they aren't going to win many games with them as the feature RBs.
Dobbs awfulness probably surprised them. I thought Steelers play calling was lacking as well.

Lately, good in the clutch?

JuJu -- yes
Ben -- yes
Boswell -- no
Secondary -- no
D-coordinator Butler -- no
Tomlin -- no

Exactly. Tomlin should know that his defense is not going to hold a 1 score game.

I don't understand why Tomlin has not gotten another kicker before this point in the season. How many games does Boswell have to not show up for before Tomlin makes a switch? Seems to me that Tomlin has changed kickers in the past for lesser drops in performance. Maybe it's Boswell's contract and the salary cap.....

He should. His DB are awful and haven’t improved at all they play soft coverage, play way off receivers.

Artie Burns has no business being in a NFL Game, but TB keeps putting him in certain situations.

They haven't been able to draft a safety or CB since Troy P.
As for the DB's. Wasn't that Bradlely's M.O. at PSU? I know everyone said it was Joe's fault but maybe thats the way Bradley wanted them to play.
I don't know what exactly happened with him while at WVU but I don't think he was that great there and he stunk at UCLA. Maybe the game has passed (no pun intended) him by.

They haven't been able to draft a safety or CB since Troy P.
As for the DB's. Wasn't that Bradlely's M.O. at PSU? I know everyone said it was Joe's fault but maybe thats the way Bradley wanted them to play.
I don't know what exactly happened with him while at WVU but I don't think he was that great there and he stunk at UCLA. Maybe the game has passed (no pun intended) him by.

They have addressed this need in the draft. Both Burns and Edmunds were first round picks. They also signed Hilton and Haden. People ignore that.

Anyways, I believe TB style of coaching isn’t for this style of football that is played now. Teams are throwing more.

They have addressed this need in the draft. Both Burns and Edmunds were first round picks. They also signed Hilton and Haden. People ignore that.

Anyways, I believe TB style of coaching isn’t for this style of football that is played now. Teams are throwing more.

They've addressed it, JMO, haven't done a very good job of it. But then I don't like their picks at LB'r either.
Haden was a nice pickup.

I don’t think TB is the problem, the players aren’t making plays. Double coverage on a deep ball and neither player manages to knock it down.
Haden is the only above average DB the Steelers have.

I don’t think TB is the problem, the players aren’t making plays. Double coverage on a deep ball and neither player manages to knock it down.
Haden is the only above average DB the Steelers have.

Yea I didn't mean to dump it all on Bradley.
Frankly I thought Tomlin fired the wrong Co-Ordinator last year. I wasn't a huge fan of Haley but I thought Butler was worse and and I don't think he's any better this season. Plus I really don't like a lot of their players on defense.

Yea I didn't mean to dump it all on Bradley.
Frankly I thought Tomlin fired the wrong Co-Ordinator last year. I wasn't a huge fan of Haley but I thought Butler was worse and and I don't think he's any better this season. Plus I really don't like a lot of their players on defense.
Their two starting safeties have a total of 0 interceptions between them, Hilton the nickle safety has one and Edmunds the backup SS has one.
Artie Burns has been a complete bust. And they used high draft picks to get guys like Edmunds, Burns, and Davis.

Steelers TD Drive:

Start at their 25 with 5:13 remaining.

1) Completed pass - in bounds - burns off 35 seconds
Pitt 38

2) Completed pass - OOB - no option to "burn clock" - 6 seconds
Oakland 49

3) Incomplete pass - no option to "burn clock" - 6 seconds
--- 5 yard penalty on Oakland ---
Oakland 44

4) Completed pass - in bounds - burns off 34 seconds
Oakland 21

5) Complete pass - OOB - no option to "burn clock" - 9 seconds
Oakland 9

6) Complete pass - in bounds - burns off 43 seconds
Oakland 1

7) Complete pass - TD

Exactly when the F were they supposed to burn off another 30 seconds - let alone 3 minutes - game clock?
Should they have taken a knee on second and third and goal.... and hoped they could convert the fourth down?

Jeebzus H.

And Fans complain that Coaches are dumb???

Its probably just me but I never liked the idea of trying to burn more time when you are on your final drive.
I understand why but just feel its more important to get the TD or FG and then have your defense stop them...oh wait there's the flaw in my logic its the Steeler defense thats the issue.

Steelers TD Drive:

Start at their 25 with 5:13 remaining.

1) Completed pass - in bounds - burns off 35 seconds
Pitt 38

2) Completed pass - OOB - no option to "burn clock" - 6 seconds
Oakland 49

3) Incomplete pass - no option to "burn clock" - 6 seconds
--- 5 yard penalty on Oakland ---
Oakland 44

4) Completed pass - in bounds - burns off 34 seconds
Oakland 21

5) Complete pass - OOB - no option to "burn clock" - 9 seconds
Oakland 9

6) Complete pass - in bounds - burns off 43 seconds
Oakland 1

7) Complete pass - TD

Exactly when the F were they supposed to burn off another 30 seconds - let alone 3 minutes - game clock?
Should they have taken a knee on second and third and goal.... and hoped they could convert the fourth down?

Jeebzus H.

And Fans complain that Coaches are dumb???
Perhaps they could have run the ball picking up 4 yards at a clip in between a few of those throws? Wouldn't that have burned up some time Coach Barry? After all, they have the best offensive line in football. Or so I've been told.

Perhaps they could have run the ball picking up 4 yards at a clip in between a few of those throws? Wouldn't that have burned up some time Coach Barry? After all, they have the best offensive line in football.

Not the way the OL was playing or the RB's.
Maybe they should have had Dobbs just run. He certainly can't pass or at least he couldn't yesterday.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Not the way the OL was playing or the RB's.
Maybe they should have had Dobbs just run. He certainly can't pass or at least he couldn't yesterday.
I should have said 1 yard at a clip. At that, it still would have taken time off the clock as the Raiders had no time outs.

Reactions: psu2016 and BBrown
The Steelers scored their last TD with 3:38 left on the clock. There was no way they could milk that much time away. And at that point in the game they needed to maximize their chances of scoring a TD and not screw around trying to milk the clock.

The Steelers scored their last TD with 3:38 left on the clock. There was no way they could milk that much time away. And at that point in the game they needed to maximize their chances of scoring a TD and not screw around trying to milk the clock.
Understood. But as a coach, Tomlin should go into the game understanding his defense is a liability and should be kept off the field as much as possible. It's what good coaches do. Adjust to their teams weaknesses.

Do you remember the old "run and shoot" offenses? They would score a ton of points really quickly. Unfortunately, that meant the defense was on the field the majority of the the game and would get gassed. By the end of the year, the defense would have nothing left in the tank.

There needs to be more of a balance to keep the defense (secondary) off the field. Either way, this team may not even make the playoffs with the schedule they are facing. They got lucky with Baltimore losing.

Understood. But as a coach, Tomlin should go into the game understanding his defense is a liability and should be kept off the field as much as possible. It's what good coaches do. Adjust to their teams weaknesses.

Do you remember the old "run and shoot" offenses? They would score a ton of points really quickly. Unfortunately, that meant the defense was on the field the majority of the the game and would get gassed. By the end of the year, the defense would have nothing left in the tank.

There needs to be more of a balance to keep the defense (secondary) off the field. Either way, this team may not even make the playoffs with the schedule they are facing. They got lucky with Baltimore losing.
Unfortunately the Steeler's weaknesses, ie. poor secondary, poor special teams are hard to avoid at the end of the game.
This is the second week in a row the special teams lost the Steelers a game. Last week they gave up a punt return.
And Boswell cost them the win against Cleveland.
There are three main reasons Steelers lost in order of importance.
1. Ben got hurt, if he plays the whole game the Steelers win easily.
2. The secondary is bad, absolutely terrible and a real disappointment considering how much they invested in this group.
3. Boswell. Going 0-2 for field goals inside 40 yards is unacceptable for a high school kicker let alone a pro making $5 million a year to do nothing but kick the ball.
And the field conditions are no excuse. Unless they are playing in a monsoon or blizzard or in the mud bowl, Boswell needs to make those kicks.
If Boswell makes one of them the Steelers probably win in overtime because with Ben they are a better team than the Raiders. If he makes both the game likely would have been out of reach.

Unfortunately the Steeler's weaknesses, ie. poor secondary, poor special teams are hard to avoid at the end of the game.
This is the second week in a row the special teams lost the Steelers a game. Last week they gave up a punt return.
And Boswell cost them the win against Cleveland.
There are three main reasons Steelers lost in order of importance.
1. Ben got hurt, if he plays the whole game the Steelers win easily.
2. The secondary is bad, absolutely terrible and a real disappointment considering how much they invested in this group.
3. Boswell. Going 0-2 for field goals inside 40 yards is unacceptable for a high school kicker let alone a pro making $5 million a year to do nothing but kick the ball.
And the field conditions are no excuse. Unless they are playing in a monsoon or blizzard or in the mud bowl, Boswell needs to make those kicks.
If Boswell makes one of them the Steelers probably win in overtime because with Ben they are a better team than the Raiders. If he makes both the game likely would have been out of reach.
I can't argue that at all. The game shouldn't have been close. I was a Tomlin guy up until late last year, but the only common thing over the years with the team playing down to their opponents, win or lose, is him. Players and assistant coaches have come and gone, yet it still happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT