ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh media letting Tomlin have it, BIG TIME...

Tomlin would find a new job as soon as he wants one
Should NE not have fire Belichick? Tennessee Vrabel?
The worst reason for not firing a coach is that someone else would hire them. Coaches almost always get another job
Subtle disagreement as to the worst reason. I think it’s “well, who would you get to replace?”

As if there isn’t anyone. lol.

winning an SB is hard, but Cowher was a lot closer, very frequently. he went to a lot of afc title games prior to winning the SB. and when cowher had like a one- or two-year stretch of missing the playoffs there was talk of firing him. so Tomlin can't just get a pass for infinite years
Plus Cowher only had Roethlisberger for a few years of his time in Pittsburgh and and had to win games with guys like O’Donnell, Stewart and Maddox.

Reactions: bison13
Plus Cowher only had Roethlisberger for a few years of his time in Pittsburgh and and had to win games with guys like O’Donnell, Stewart and Maddox.
i think he went to the afc title game about 3 times with stewart, and twice with o'donnell. it seemed like every year or two he was that close. it hasn't been like that with Tomlin

My brother-in-law is from Nashville and a diehard Titans fan, one of my coworkers is also a huge Titans fan. Both of them told me after the game last night that they wanted the Titans to pay him whatever he wanted to come to Nashville if he was leaving the Steelers.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
From ESPN--I think there's more we don't know and Najee gave us a glimpse of it--probably regarding the man-child named George Pickens

While the team wholeheartedly lobbied for Tomlin, Harris also hinted at some discourse behind the scenes. Harris emphasized the coaches weren't the problem, but Harris said he wants to see changes to the team's structure and discipline.

"Obviously, this is my third year," Harris said. "I have my opinions on things, but I'm just a player. But if we want to elevate and get where we're at, there's got to be some in-house things that need to change. I feel like Coach T always tells me, 'Just play running back' -- and that's some little inside thing that we have, too. But if we want to elevate and get where we are and achieve those goals that we want, we have to change some in-house stuff."

"It's just the rules that are in the building," Harris said. "We got to be more disciplined. We got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but just coming from a place that has structure and just seeing we probably could get help in these areas. It might make a change. I think that that's something we could help. I'm not saying nothing about coaches or anything like that. I'm just saying more of just in-house rules.

"I'm just a player, but the guys in that building know what I'm talking about."
There is certainly something going on regarding structure/discipline/accountability in the locker room with Tomlins teams. Harris is not the only one who has suggested there being problems. I believe Big Ben recently made the same type of statements. So there is definitely smoke. It's hard to be effective as a coach if you want to be buddies with everyone and Franklin and Tomlin seem to have that in common.

I won't disagree with those columnist though some of them (Madden in particular) has been writing about Tomlin's adequacies for a while. I'm glad the others have finally seen the light. Until the beat reporters start acting less like PR for the Steelers and asking the tough questions--basically being like every other city's beat reporters.

In some ways, Tomlin's Super Bowl win in his 2nd year may be the worst thing to happen because it locked him in to pseudo-lifetime contract with the Rooneys. Him never having a losing season and the national media harping on that every chance further insulates Tomlin from any real scrutiny. Be honest--do you think the Rooneys really want the national criticism for firing a head coach who's never had a losing season and by the way, got his interview opportunity based on a rule named after the owner?

As far as the similarities between Franklin and Tomlin, I can see some--bad game day coach, never seems to get his team up for the big-time opponent, his guys love him, and talks a good game. But there are clear differences between CFB and NFL when it comes to what is considered a good/bad season. I think with the 12-team playoff, those differences are reduced. But what I find odd is that the national media takes opposite approaches to each of them:
  • Franklin - He's guaranteed to win 8-9-10 games but horrible vs Mich and OSU. Can't win the big game.
  • Tomlin - Look at what he does with nothing. He never lost more than 8 games. (crickets about the post season)
I’ll also add that his teams historically play down to teams they should handle easily case and point Arizona and New England this year

Sounds to me like he’s calling out some of his teammates more than he’s calling out his coaches. The quarterback play for this team was a D- until Rudolph. it’s a quarterback driven league and even with the last few years of Ben, their quarterback was only the third best in their own division and no more than the sixth or seventh best in the entire AFC.

They haven’t had a good inside linebacker for years and their offensive and defensive lines are suspect. Realistically, this team should’ve been a 5-6 win team each of the last three years. Watt, Fitzpatrick and Boswell have won them games that they never should have. I don’t think this team has talent levels in the top half of the league, they just have some stars and a few other guys that are a little bit above average, but they have a lot of guys who are below average like their ILB and CB (until JPJ).

Tomlin has his issues especially in the playoffs. it sounds like cleaning up some immature folks in the locker room is part of it but finding two coordinators who know what they are doing and don’t put up with that crap is needed as well. If they can draft well and find two or three free agents this spring they will have a third place schedule next year where if Rudolph can just play like he did at the end of this season, they will win at least 10 games again and have another shot in the playoffs.
And lose in the first round because Tomlin can't win playoff games. He and Franklin are eerily similar. Franklin can win 9-10 games beating Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland but can't win big games vs OSU and Michigan. Tomlin can cobble together 9-10 wins but can't win a playoff game to save his life.

The no losing records thing drives me crazy. He had a first ballot Hall of Fame QB 15 out of his 17 years in one of the most stable organizations in sports. Hard to lose. He took over a talented roster from the Cowher days and things have gone down hill to the point they haven’t won a playoff game for 7 years.
Big Ben, like Joe, stayed a few years too long. And since then they have not had a great QB. Look at the teams still in the playoffs. QB is the key!

And lose in the first round because Tomlin can't win playoff games. He and Franklin are eerily similar. Franklin can win 9-10 games beating Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland but can't win big games vs OSU and Michigan. Tomlin can cobble together 9-10 wins but can't win a playoff game to save his life.
You coach that team with the QB's he's had and see how many playoff games you win. Most didn't think the Steelers would make the playoffs this year. I think he did a great job.

winning an SB is hard, but Cowher was a lot closer, very frequently. he went to a lot of afc title games prior to winning the SB. and when cowher had like a one- or two-year stretch of missing the playoffs there was talk of firing him. so Tomlin can't just get a pass for infinite years
False.

They both have 1 SB.

Cowher won 62% of his regular season games, with a 12-9 playoff record.

Tomlin has won 62% of his regular season games, with a 8-10 playoff record.

Fans have unrealistic and distorted opinions, with nothing based on facts. The truth of the matter is, you need a franchise QB to be successful. And it takes a bit of luck to find that guy. The Steelers don’t currently have him on the roster.

Steelers announced today that Tomlin will be back as head coach next season. Did not hear anything about a contract extension or negotiations.

So they created a difficult scenario they usually avoid. They need to hire an OC. Could be difficult to get a quality guy if the head coach could be gone in a year. Of course, one could take the job hoping he gets the HC job next year if Tomlin is gone. But if the OC does well enough to get the job than Tomlin would get an extension.

Worse, who would want the job when when they don’t see a top quality QB in a QB league? How do they hire an OC that matches up with their starting QB when they don’t know who that is? And how do they sign or trade for a better QB before they hire the OC?

And they will be negotiating with free agent Rudolph for a new contract while he talks to other teams. Would be helpful to know who the OC is if you are Rudolph.

So the organization that prides itself on continuity and certainty is embroiled in confusing times. Gonna be an interesting off season.

False.

They both have 1 SB.

Fans have unrealistic and distorted opinions, with nothing based on facts. The truth of the matter is, you need a franchise QB to be successful. And it takes a bit of luck to find that guy. The Steelers don’t currently have him on the roster.

It's not false. Cowher went to the AFC title game six times.

You coach that team with the QB's he's had and see how many playoff games you win. Most didn't think the Steelers would make the playoffs this year. I think he did a great job.
It's about results and winning playoff games. No excuses. Admittedly this year was tough with the QB situation. But....but who got us into this QB mess??? And if he had won a playoff game anytime in recent history then we could cut him some slack but being an 0 fer for the last 7 years is just piss poor.

Sounds to me that Tomlin likes being the players pal. That would explain a Superbowl right after taking over for a hard-nosed, discipline enforcing coach like Cowher and then a protracted slow decline littered with poor discipline and the frequent head cases.
Guys want to play for Tomlin because he's not a disciplinarian. I get it but it's also why Pickens isn't held accountable then cries about the officiating after a game in which his fumble was one of the main reasons the Steelers lost.

Sounds to me that Tomlin likes being the players pal. That would explain a Superbowl right after taking over for a hard-nosed, discipline enforcing coach like Cowher and then a protracted slow decline littered with poor discipline and the frequent head cases.
See, I just don’t know if I can buy that. IIRC, several of the players who played for both Cowher and Tomlin said that Tomlin was the X’s and O’s coach and Cowher was the player’s coach. Then you have cases like Antonio Brown where he held him in check when he proceeded to self-destruct afterwards.

Obviously, something isn’t working. But I think they’re a closer towards getting over the hump if they make staff/roster changes versus starting from scratch with a new head coach.

Mike T was in an interesting position as he took over as the youngest 1st time NFL HC for the Steelers. He had been in locker rooms previously and understood their dynamics. The team that he took over had a strong locker room presence and he was wise to take the 'players pal' approach with that group of men.

In hindsight, the problem may be that he was not responsible directly for those locker room dynamics. And when it changed over time, perhaps a different approach was necessary. And that's not always easy to achieve.

And, unfortunately, some of our younger and better players particularly on the offensive side of the ball, need parenting as well as coaching. This is a new breed of players. And NIL may only make matters worse.

Growing up in a different era, the older guys roughed you up, and protected you, to keep you a little more humbled and focused.

I believe the players genuinely like coach T and responded when they heard the rumblings that his job in Pittsburgh may be in jeopardy. His players willing to play hard (if undisciplined) for him is one of his strongest assets.

And it was demonstrated again when the team got its act together and went on a 3-game winning streak to make the playoffs and keep the Tomlin 'never had a losing record- narrative intact. Sans the Eagles(?), pretty much team is motivated for post season play and his coaching results speak for themselves.

Mike T was in an interesting position as he took over as the youngest 1st time NFL HC for the Steelers. He had been in locker rooms previously and understood their dynamics. The team that he took over had a strong locker room presence and he was wise to take the 'players pal' approach with that group of men.

In hindsight, the problem may be that he was not responsible directly for those locker room dynamics. And when it changed over time, perhaps a different approach was necessary. And that's not always easy to achieve.

And, unfortunately, some of our younger and better players particularly on the offensive side of the ball, need parenting as well as coaching. This is a new breed of players. And NIL may only make matters worse.

Growing up in a different era, the older guys roughed you up, and protected you, to keep you a little more humbled and focused.

I believe the players genuinely like coach T and responded when they heard the rumblings that his job in Pittsburgh may be in jeopardy. His players willing to play hard (if undisciplined) for him is one of his strongest assets.

And it was demonstrated again when the team got its act together and went on a 3-game winning streak to make the playoffs and keep the Tomlin 'never had a losing record- narrative intact. Sans the Eagles(?), pretty much team is motivated for post season play and his coaching results speak for themselves.
Excellent analysis. His style worked early on but new players and social media have changed the game.

These guys are terrible team players, worried about stats, clicks, and high light films. They need to learn that super stardom comes with winning championships. Play as a team on every down and that will come.

If I were Rooney I would tell him to get control of the players next season or we will get someone that will.

Excellent analysis. His style worked early on but new players and social media have changed the game.

These guys are terrible team players, worried about stats, clicks, and high light films. They need to learn that super stardom comes with winning championships. Play as a team on every down and that will come.

If I were Rooney I would tell him to get control of the players next season or we will get someone that will.
Terrible is probably too strong of an adjective. I wonder if some of the rookies/younger players are having NILnis envy? Working harder and putting their careers in jeopardy for what they perceive is less $.

None of this appears to be good at least in the short run. You can possess all of the knowledge in the world. If those whom you are empowered to guide have no interest in hearing your message. Particularly if everything doesn't turn out as planned and you face adversity.

Winning hides a lot of these perils that are continually percolating right below the surface.

See, I just don’t know if I can buy that. IIRC, several of the players who played for both Cowher and Tomlin said that Tomlin was the X’s and O’s coach and Cowher was the player’s coach. Then you have cases like Antonio Brown where he held him in check when he proceeded to self-destruct afterwards.

Obviously, something isn’t working. But I think they’re a closer towards getting over the hump if they make staff/roster changes versus starting from scratch with a new head coach.
IMHO that was Bill Cowher's defense being implemented through a long litany of DCs that went on to become HCs. What the guys who played under both players observed was coach T establishing his bonafides with this veteran group.

Cowher was further along in his coaching tenure and acted accordingly.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Cowher was a great players coach because of his unbridled passion for the game. Very inspiring.

But he respected the game and wouldn’t tolerate players like Pickens and Johnson not blocking, pouting, not even attempting to get a fumble or tackle an opponent after a turnover.

A player would never dare pull this stunts with Cowher in charge.

Cowher was a great players coach because of his unbridled passion for the game. Very inspiring.

But he respected the game and wouldn’t tolerate players like Pickens and Johnson not blocking, pouting, not even attempting to get a fumble or tackle an opponent after a turnover.

A player would never dare pull this stunts with Cowher in charge.
I wonder how effective Bill Cowher's coaching approach would be with today's athletes.?

False.

They both have 1 SB.

And the argument can be made that they are in this position due to poor roster management that sees a team trade up for Devon Bush at LB but not trade up to get a QB like Herbert when it was feasible to do so. They hung onto Roethlisberger's incumbency for too long and did not plan like the Packers did. Apparently, the risk of upsetting the incumbent was too much to take on. That is on Tomlin.

Steelers announced today that Tomlin will be back as head coach next season. Did not hear anything about a contract extension or negotiations.

So they created a difficult scenario they usually avoid. They need to hire an OC. Could be difficult to get a quality guy if the head coach could be gone in a year. Of course, one could take the job hoping he gets the HC job next year if Tomlin is gone. But if the OC does well enough to get the job than Tomlin would get an extension.

Worse, who would want the job when when they don’t see a top quality QB in a QB league? How do they hire an OC that matches up with their starting QB when they don’t know who that is? And how do they sign or trade for a better QB before they hire the OC?

And they will be negotiating with free agent Rudolph for a new contract while he talks to other teams. Would be helpful to know who the OC is if you are Rudolph.

So the organization that prides itself on continuity and certainty is embroiled in confusing times. Gonna be an interesting off season.
Steelers didn't announce that. Tomlin told his players that he would be back. That is a difference. Tomlin lacks a lot of things but bravado isn't one of them. He could have told the players that because he believes an extension will be completed or he could have told them that and let it go public so he puts pressure on the front office to get the deal done because otherwise, the blame for not getting it done shifts to the Rooneys not him.

That last part is a bit conspiratorial (though likely right at home on a football message board) but I wouldn't put it past Tomlin to use the media to pressure the front office. They already get the pressure from the ESPN talking heads who think it would be insane to fire Tomlin and throw out the line - "who are they going to get who is equal to or better?" They fail to recognize that no one heard of Cowher until Steelers hired him and no one heard of Tomlin until the Steelers hired him.

And the argument can be made that they are in this position due to poor roster management that sees a team trade up for Devon Bush at LB but not trade up to get a QB like Herbert when it was feasible to do so. They hung onto Roethlisberger's incumbency for too long and did not plan like the Packers did. Apparently, the risk of upsetting the incumbent was too much to take on. That is on Tomlin.
The bush and picket first round picks, also wasn’t Jarvis Jones also a first rounder, are three big misses that potentially cost this team Super Bowl opportunities and with regard to Pickett at least some playoff wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT