ADVERTISEMENT

Please let Tomlin go

I can't argue that at all. The game shouldn't have been close. I was a Tomlin guy up until late last year, but the only common thing over the years with the team playing down to their opponents, win or lose, is him. Players and assistant coaches have come and gone, yet it still happens.
Tomlin is far from perfect but I don't know if replacing him would make the Steelers better with the personnel that they have.
Once Ben is done, Tomlin will probably be done too.
I think the Steelers but too much emphasis on combine numbers when drafting and not on playmakers. A good example of this is picking Jason Worilds over Sean Lee.
Artie Burns is another one, the guy has a great combine but absolutely blows on the field.

Tomlin is far from perfect but I don't know if replacing him would make the Steelers better with the personnel that they have.
I think the Steelers but too much emphasis on combine numbers when drafting and not on playmakers. A good example of this is picking Jason Worilds over Sean Lee.
Artie Burns is another one, the guy has a great combine but absolutely blows on the field.
Or could it be defensive scouting? They don't seem to have these issues on the offensive side of the ball, WR in particular.

Reactions: BBrown
Or could it be defensive scouting? They don't seem to have these issues on the offensive side of the ball, WR in particular.
You are right, a more accurate statement is they rely too much on the combine numbers when drafting defensive players.
They do a good job on drafting offensive players.

Unfortunately the Steeler's weaknesses, ie. poor secondary, poor special teams are hard to avoid at the end of the game.
This is the second week in a row the special teams lost the Steelers a game. Last week they gave up a punt return.
And Boswell cost them the win against Cleveland.
There are three main reasons Steelers lost in order of importance.
1. Ben got hurt, if he plays the whole game the Steelers win easily.
2. The secondary is bad, absolutely terrible and a real disappointment considering how much they invested in this group.
3. Boswell. Going 0-2 for field goals inside 40 yards is unacceptable for a high school kicker let alone a pro making $5 million a year to do nothing but kick the ball.
And the field conditions are no excuse. Unless they are playing in a monsoon or blizzard or in the mud bowl, Boswell needs to make those kicks.
If Boswell makes one of them the Steelers probably win in overtime because with Ben they are a better team than the Raiders. If he makes both the game likely would have been out of reach.

Didn't Boswell also miss a FG and XP against the Chargers? or was it just the XP?
In any case The Steelers ST's stink. I don't think their punter is any great shakes either.

How much imput does Tomlin have on the draft?
Because, IMO, thats where 80% of the Steelers problems start, lousy drafts. Like you said I'm not sure they know what a good LB'r looks like anymore and I've given up on them trying to draft CB's and Safeties. Thats been a glaring issue for the past 5+ years. Plus their Dline is nothing more than avg. so add that up and then include Butler and you have the crap fest that is The Steelers defense.
I would have liked to see what Mason Rudolph could have done yesterday, I mean it was painfully obvious to everyone watching that Dobbs doesn't have a clue.
And despite all that with a decent FG kicker they probably win the game.:confused:

Reactions: JeffClear
I don't understand why I keep hearing folks say this was a "must win" for the Steelers? They're in 1st place in their division, the Ravens lost to KC and still have to play the Chargers on the road. The Steelers will win their division...they won't go anywhere in the playoffs but they'll almost certainly win their division. They were never going to get a home game in round 2 anyways.

Played Chargers already sir and lost.

Saints on the road.

Played Chargers already sir and lost.

Saints on the road.
Dont bother RohrMD...he's got alot on his mind these days with No-Knees Nelson quitting his bballl team! And BTW....Steelers will lose to the Saints and New England.

Nope. They play the Chargers Dec. 22.
Huh? They play New England on Dec 16th at 425. They play @ New Orleans on Dec 23rd at 425. They finish at home with the Bengals on Dec 30 @ 1:00. Dont think they would play the Chargers twice.

Huh? They play New England on Dec 16th at 425. They play @ New Orleans on Dec 23rd at 425. They finish at home with the Bengals on Dec 30 @ 1:00. Dont think they would play the Chargers twice.
If they do, it would be in the playoffs and we know that ain't happening.

I'm confused. Is next year's schedule already out?
Here is the original post: "I don't understand why I keep hearing folks say this was a "must win" for the Steelers? They're in 1st place in their division, the Ravens lost to KC and still have to play the Chargers on the road. The Steelers will win their division...they won't go anywhere in the playoffs but they'll almost certainly win their division. They were never going to get a home game in round 2 anyways."

See, he's saying the RAVENS . . . still have to play the Chargers on the road. Then GLOV made fun of him saying "No, they already lost to the Chargers" and somebody else joined in the reading (in)comprehension fun. Now two more of you have joined. Kudos to all.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Here is the original post: "I don't understand why I keep hearing folks say this was a "must win" for the Steelers? They're in 1st place in their division, the Ravens lost to KC and still have to play the Chargers on the road. The Steelers will win their division...they won't go anywhere in the playoffs but they'll almost certainly win their division. They were never going to get a home game in round 2 anyways."

See, he's saying the RAVENS . . . still have to play the Chargers on the road. Then GLOV made fun of him saying "No, they already lost to the Chargers" and somebody else joined in the reading (in)comprehension fun. Now two more of you have joined. Kudos to all.

Alcohol! And reading comprehension is overrated!

Reactions: Omar81
Hate that .653 winning %...2nd among active coaches to ..... well you know.

Since he was hired Tomlin is 6-5 on the road as a 9+ point favorite straight up. The rest of the league is 52-10. Tomlin doesn't win the games he should often enough and he's 8-7 in the playoffs. 5-6 since the SB a decade ago without a title. In jeopardy of missing the playoffs for the 4th time in those ten years. That can't happen when you have a franchise QB. McCarthy was fired despite winning a SB in 2010 and being in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for just the second time in a decade because GB understands the window is small with a franchise QB. We're wasting the few years that Ben has left and the future is bleak with Dobbs and Rudolph waiting in the wings.

Since he was hired Tomlin is 6-5 on the road as a 9+ point favorite straight up. The rest of the league is 52-10. Tomlin doesn't win the games he should often enough and he's 8-7 in the playoffs. 5-6 since the SB a decade ago without a title. In jeopardy of missing the playoffs for the 4th time in those ten years. That can't happen when you have a franchise QB. McCarthy was fired despite winning a SB in 2010 and being in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for just the second time in a decade because GB understands the window is small with a franchise QB. We're wasting the few years that Ben has left and the future is bleak with Dobbs and Rudolph waiting in the wings.
The difference between the packers and the Steelers is AR and the coach didn’t get along, no evidence of that with Ben and Tomlin.
I think the Steelers weak secondary makes them vulnerable to the upset because they give up too many big passing plays.
I can’t see how removing Tomlin at this point would be productive.
It would be different if the Steelers were rebuilding. This is an established veteran team.

The Steelers aren’t far off, they miss Shazier on D and they wiffed on all their high DB draft picks of late.
But the Steelers remain dangerous and can beat anyone in the AFC on a good day.
If the Steelers miss the playoffs this year, Tomlin will feel the heat next year.

The difference between the packers and the Steelers is AR and the coach didn’t get along, no evidence of that with Ben and Tomlin.
I think the Steelers weak secondary makes them vulnerable to the upset because they give up too many big passing plays.
I can’t see how removing Tomlin at this point would be productive.
It would be different if the Steelers were rebuilding. This is an established veteran team.

The Steelers aren’t far off, they miss Shazier on D and they wiffed on all their high DB draft picks of late.
But the Steelers remain dangerous and can beat anyone in the AFC on a good day.
If the Steelers miss the playoffs this year, Tomlin will feel the heat next year.
I just learned the Steelers only beat on team with a winning record this year, and that was the Ravens. So there's that.

I just learned the Steelers only beat on team with a winning record this year, and that was the Ravens. So there's that.
However except for the first Ravens game all of their losses have been by one score or less so they were in almost all their games.

Per Rocky Bleier....

“Here’s my take on the Steelers. I’m done. I mean, they’ve ripped my heart out. With the talent that they have, how can they lose three out of their last four games, and in the manner that they did?

“Boswell...Now the purpose of a kicker is just to put his team in a position to win. If you can’t do that, then maybe you need to go.

“Simple premise, if an opponent cannot score, well then you cannot lose a game. If you have an offense that can come from behind, put you in a position to win, then as a defense, you cannot let your opponent march down the field and strip you of your dignity. This season that has happened too often. Something has to be done, and if you’re pointing fingers, well maybe Keith Butler has to go.”

“With three games remaining, the Steelers’ destiny lies in their hands, but it is shaky with the Patriots, Saints and Bengals on the horizon. How they fare will dictate the team’s future, and it may be without Tomlin.”

However except for the first Ravens game all of their losses have been by one score or less so they were in almost all their games.

This is like "Franklin only loses close games" nonsense. You can't lose games like the Steelers have done. You can't tie Cleveland. You can't lose at Oakland. You can't blow an 18 point lead against the Chargers. If losses to the Chiefs, Ravens and even Broncos (Ben--smh) can be forgiven. I'm not expecting an undefeated run but I also don't expect to beat the Saints or Pats. You have to win games at home and on the road against weak teams. Tomlin is 6-5 straight up on the road as a 9+ point favorite since he started. The rest of the league is 52-10 during that time. That's 1/3rd of the losses are own by him. That can't happen. Change is sometimes needed. It is needed here but won't happen

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

This, my friend has been what I have said for years. Most of this is because we cannot cover anyone in the secondary. If BELLICHEC had the reigns of this team he would have won at least 4 SBs with Ben at QB.
Wasting the remaining years of a HOFer.
While Ben isn't perfect, he can score enough to win most games. Yes, LBs aren't great but good enough. Dline not bad either. Oline is usually pretty good.
I have been yelling for years to draft or acquire 2 Great players for the secondary. We only need 2. We have zero now and none since Troy.
They won't fire Mikey. I would have to think that Ben has same thoughts about wasting his last few years with a HC that cannot get his team to win games they should win. As for Bradley, not sure it matters who is coaching this group, and besides, he doesn't call the D plays so he is a bystander for the most part working with nothing from a talent perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT