ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh media letting Tomlin have it, BIG TIME...

There's always excuses/reasons for a loss that go beyond the coaches control. Yesterday isn't the concern but the trend behind it. Tomlin has a lot of control with the Steelers including the draft. Kenny was the guy he wanted. I don't blame him for playing Mitch over Mason because I don't think Mason is very good either but he fought to keep Canada which was also a huge mistake.

Again, I'm not in the "Tomlin is a moron" group. He's a great coach that will likely be very successful elsewhere. He and the Steelers however both need a change
IMO, the Steelers are what they are until they actually get a real NFL starting QB. That’s not going to happen any time soon. Doesn’t really matter who the coach is. Tomlin threw the dice and lost when he drafted Kenny P.

Unless they have a serious losing season or somehow sell the farm to trade up, they are stuck with what the have, and it won’t surprise me if they don’t even have Rudolph next year.

How many years did it take for Cowher to win a SB though? People were calling for his head the same way Steeler fans are calling for Tomlin.

You can't win the SB every year, although many fans have a hard time accepting it. And you NEED a franchise-changing QB to do it. The Steelers don't have one right now. Do fans really expect to compete for SBs with the current stable of QBs? Yes, they need to make personnel and assistant coaching changes, but to just blame Tomlin in a season(s) that there were no real expectations? Boneheaded fans.

Should Tomlin have accomplished more in the past? I think you can make that argument, yes. But Big Ben came away with two SBs while playing in one of the most competitive eras of the NFL. How many times did the Steelers get eliminated by the greatest QB of all time? Or eliminated by the eventual SB champion?

Tomlin didn't fumble the ball on his own 10-yard line. And Tomlin didn't throw a pick on the opponents 2-yard line. I actually thought the Steelers outplayed Buffalo for long stretches but couldn't overcome those two huge plays. Watt was severely missed defensively - you know the best defensive player in the league, that didn't play?

Steelers fans have unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
IMO, the Steelers are what they are until they actually get a real NFL starting QB. That’s not going to happen any time soon. Doesn’t really matter who the coach is. Tomlin threw the dice and lost when he drafted Kenny P.

Unless they have a serious losing season or somehow sell the farm to trade up, they are stuck with what the have, and it won’t surprise me if they don’t even have Rudolph next year.
Mason could be gone but Kirk Cousins is a free agent. Blank check time.

How many years did it take for Cowher to win a SB though? People were calling for his head the same way Steeler fans are calling for Tomlin.

You can't win the SB every year, although many fans have a hard time accepting it. And you NEED a franchise-changing QB to do it. The Steelers don't have one right now. Do fans really expect to compete for SBs with the current stable of QBs? Yes, they need to make personnel and assistant coaching changes, but to just blame Tomlin in a season(s) that there were no real expectations? Boneheaded fans.

Should Tomlin have accomplished more in the past? I think you can make that argument, yes. But Big Ben came away with two SBs while playing in one of the most competitive eras of the NFL. How many times did the Steelers get eliminated by the greatest QB of all time? Or eliminated by the eventual SB champion?

Tomlin didn't fumble the ball on his own 10-yard line. And Tomlin didn't throw a pick on the opponents 2-yard line. I actually thought the Steelers outplayed Buffalo for long stretches but couldn't overcome those two huge plays. Watt was severely missed defensively - you know the best defensive player in the league, that didn't play?

No one is demanding a SB. Can't go almost a decade without a playoff win. Some real bad losses as well. No team would tolerate that. Not one.

There's always excuses/reasons for a loss that go beyond the coaches control. Yesterday isn't the concern but the trend behind it. Tomlin has a lot of control with the Steelers including the draft. Kenny was the guy he wanted. I don't blame him for playing Mitch over Mason because I don't think Mason is very good either but he fought to keep Canada which was also a huge mistake.

Again, I'm not in the "Tomlin is a moron" group. He's a great coach that will likely be very successful elsewhere. He and the Steelers however both need a change
Tomlin's lack of recent success can be attributed to the hirings he has made for assistant coaches. He inherited Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians as coordinators and the other assistants had plenty of coaching experience. Steadily the quality of the assistants has eroded to the point where nobody is considered for other jobs, let alone head coaching jobs. This, despite this record of no losing seasons.

Ed Bouchette has joined them, but by all means keep pointing at Madden.

Last edited:

If Mike T chooses to stay, the first order of business will be acquiring a proven and respected OC. This will help in the development of the existing offensive talent as on the roster as well being an attraction for veteran talent.

Management decisions need to be sorted out first IMO.

Reactions: shifix

I believe Rudolph seems to like it in Pittsburgh and appreciates being there given his lack of offers before Pittsburgh resigned him.

It's just a matter of if Tomlin believes he can do better between now and next season. When they get rid of Trubisky they should have money to compensate Rudolph for the significant contribution he made in helping the Steelers keep Tomlin's winning record streak alive and getting to a playoff game.

Will be an interesting off season, but without getting a high draft choice their options seem limited.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If Mike T chooses to stay, the first order of business will be acquiring a proven and respected OC. This will help in the development of the existing offensive talent as on the roster as well being an attraction for veteran talent.

Management decisions need to be sorted out first IMO.
Can’t disagree with hiring a good proven OC, but I have my doubts that doing so will solve their current QB problem.

Tomlin's lack of recent success can be attributed to the hirings he has made for assistant coaches. He inherited Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians as coordinators and the other assistants had plenty of coaching experience. Steadily the quality of the assistants has eroded to the point where nobody is considered for other jobs, let alone head coaching jobs. This, despite this record of no losing seasons.
It seems to me that more so his lack of top level success is attributed to not having a franchise QB in his prime. And the fact that he still can coach the team to winning records works against getting a draft choice high enough to solve that problem without mortaging the teams future drafts which Tomlin is smart enough not to do.

Who does Ed “Couchette” say the playoff winning QB will be after Tomlin is gone?
Baker Mayfield won a playoff game this year
As did Jordan Love who many here thought was going to get benched two months ago
If Trent Dilfer can win a SB (Brad Johnson too) then a team that has spent as much money as the Steelers should be able to find someone also capable

The Steelers are no where close to making a SB or even conference championship. They squeak into the playoffs then are outclassed every year. Don't see that changing with Tomlin.

In my opinion the issues run deeper than getting a good QB. Obviously that is important but Tomlin has coaching issues like losing games he should win, coaching not to lose so he does, player discipline seems slipshod. It is time for a fresh start.

Can’t disagree with hiring a good proven OC, but I have my doubts that doing so will solve their current QB problem.
I would think that you would value this new coach's opinion in designing a plan to move forward.

I would think that Mitch is definitely out of their future plans. KP needs to take the challenge and be motivated like Najee Harris was when confronted with the improved play of Jaylen Warren.

Not completely analogous but ....

Reactions: GregInPitt
Rudolph played well under really bad circumstances. Took over an offense in total disarray. Had never practiced as the backup until a week before starting. Played in horrific rain in Baltimore and went 18-20. Played on horrific cold in Buffalo yet brought the team back after being down early 21-0.

Wasn’t his fault Pickens fumbled. Johnson should have tried for the ball in end zone instead just waiting for it to come to him. He didn’t miss a huge, drive killing sack on Allen.

Would like to see how he can do with a couple months as #1 QB.

I would think that you would value this new coach's opinion in designing a plan to move forward.

I would think that Mitch is definitely out of their future plans. KP needs to take the challenge and be motivated like Najee Harris was when confronted with the improved play of Jaylen Warren.

Not completely analogous but ....
I was listening to Merl Hodge, (not that he is the genius guru), and his opinion was that you can identify above average NFL QBs by their pocket presence. The key is having patience, stepping up or stepping to the side while waiting for a receiver to get separation. According to him, the only QB on the Steeler roster that has shown the ability to do that at times is Rudolf.

He wasn’t saying Rudolph was the long term answer, but was simply saying that of the three, he was the best option.

Last edited:
I was listening to Merl Hodge, (not that he is the genius guru), and his opinion was that you can identify above NFL QBs by their pocket presence. The key is having patience, stepping up or stepping to the side while waiting for a receiver to get separation. According to him, the only QB on the Steeler roster that has shown the ability to do that at times is Rudolf.

He wasn’t saying Rudolph was the long term answer, but was simply saying that of the three, he was the best option.
He looked really good in second half when way behind, stayed calm, didn’t force things. His best half since starting, IMO.

Reactions: shifix and bison13
He looked really good in second half when way behind, stayed calm, didn’t force things. His best half since starting, IMO.
Stood in the pocket and made a nice play to the other Picket for a first down.

If nothing else, he seems to be an above average backup.

I was listening to Merl Hodge, (not that he is the genius guru), and his opinion was that you can identify above NFL QBs by their pocket presence. The key is having patience, stepping up or stepping to the side while waiting for a receiver to get separation. According to him, the only QB on the Steeler roster that has shown the ability to do that at times is Rudolf.

Rudolph definitely demonstrated poise in the face of adversity. And while he does throw a nice touch pass, I'm concerned that I see it too frequently..

Always enjoy Hodgie's analysis.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
  • Love
Reactions: Ski
Wow, running back Harris speaks out. Won’t sit well with the powers that be.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Tomlin.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Rudolph played well under really bad circumstances. Took over an offense in total disarray. Had never practiced as the backup until a week before starting. Played in horrific rain in Baltimore and went 18-20. Played on horrific cold in Buffalo yet brought the team back after being down early 21-0.

Wasn’t his fault Pickens fumbled. Johnson should have tried for the ball in end zone instead just waiting for it to come to him. He didn’t miss a huge, drive killing sack on Allen.

Forgot to add….. OC got canned a couple weeks ago and was playing with two assistants managing the offense. Another big obstacle he overcame.

I don't know about that.

Using a Franklinism, there is "value" in having team leaders that are passionate about playing well, playing disciplined and winning....

Sounds to me like he’s calling out some of his teammates more than he’s calling out his coaches. The quarterback play for this team was a D- until Rudolph. it’s a quarterback driven league and even with the last few years of Ben, their quarterback was only the third best in their own division and no more than the sixth or seventh best in the entire AFC.

They haven’t had a good inside linebacker for years and their offensive and defensive lines are suspect. Realistically, this team should’ve been a 5-6 win team each of the last three years. Watt, Fitzpatrick and Boswell have won them games that they never should have. I don’t think this team has talent levels in the top half of the league, they just have some stars and a few other guys that are a little bit above average, but they have a lot of guys who are below average like their ILB and CB (until JPJ).

Tomlin has his issues especially in the playoffs. it sounds like cleaning up some immature folks in the locker room is part of it but finding two coordinators who know what they are doing and don’t put up with that crap is needed as well. If they can draft well and find two or three free agents this spring they will have a third place schedule next year where if Rudolph can just play like he did at the end of this season, they will win at least 10 games again and have another shot in the playoffs.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Sounds to me like he’s calling out some of his teammates more than he’s calling out his coaches. The quarterback play for this team was a D- until Rudolph. it’s a quarterback driven league and even with the last few years of Ben, their quarterback was only the third best in their own division and no more than the sixth or seventh best in the entire AFC.

They haven’t had a good inside linebacker for years and their offensive and defensive lines are suspect. Realistically, this team should’ve been a 5-6 win team each of the last three years. Watt, Fitzpatrick and Boswell have won them games that they never should have. I don’t think this team has talent levels in the top half of the league, they just have some stars and a few other guys that are a little bit above average, but they have a lot of guys who are below average like their ILB and CB (until JPJ).

Tomlin has his issues especially in the playoffs. it sounds like cleaning up some immature folks in the locker room is part of it but finding two coordinators who know what they are doing and don’t put up with that crap is needed as well. If they can draft well and find two or three free agents this spring they will have a third place schedule next year where if Rudolph can just play like he did at the end of this season, they will win at least 10 games again and have another shot in the playoffs.
He was talking about Pickens and Dionte Johnson not blocking on runs, pouting when they aren’t the stars, being sssholes.

And he was calling out the coaches for not having discipline on these bums. Receivers coaches had go all the film on this, Tomlin had to see it. Yet these guys were never benched.

And this has been a long term problem with Tomlin. Tell me how many starters across the league took every Wednesday off during the season and the head coach brushed it off as ‘veteran’s day off’?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and bison13
The buck stops with Tomlin. He allowed all the crap to go on.

So, now it's time for him to move along.

Reactions: jbenedict
Tomlin has lost 5 straight playoff games and given up an average of 38 points in those 5 losses. His last win in a playoff game was 2016. Tomlin is 8-10 in the playoffs. That's a losing record. All of his success took place with the team that Bill Cowherd had already built for him. There are very few people in Pittsburgh who want him back, and the fan base AND the media are not afraid to make that crystal clear and it is NOT limited to Cook and Madden. Perhaps you dislike all of the media in Pittsburgh? Well, good for you, but you are going to have a hard time finding anyone else to defend him.

Unlike James Franklin, he is held accountable for his work by his fan base, which doesn't suffer from the syndrome brought about by an ancient dictator who held his own program and fan base hostage by staying 20 years too long, and because of that, was part of a horrible tragedy that his program still has not fully recovered from yet.
21 Guns and nothing but misfires, hang-fires and duds.

Reactions: joeaubie21

There's no indication he's a number 1 QB. Absolutely nothing. Against Baltimore he played against backups. The only impressive out was Seattle and they were a mess most of the year as well. I have no problem going into next year with Mason in the mix but they need to spend money on a proven #1 since we won't draft high enough to get anyone.

winning an SB is hard, but Cowher was a lot closer, very frequently. he went to a lot of afc title games prior to winning the SB. and when cowher had like a one- or two-year stretch of missing the playoffs there was talk of firing him. so Tomlin can't just get a pass for infinite years

I find it fascinating how many of these fans of other teams keep saying Tomlin would have his choice of any other team the minute he is fired, but they never name any teams 😂😂😂 and they NEVER name their OWN team 😂😂😂

I find it fascinating how many of these fans of other teams keep saying Tomlin would have his choice of any other team the minute he is fired, but they never name any teams 😂😂😂 and they NEVER name their OWN team 😂😂😂
Tomlin would have gotten calls from the Chargers, Falcons, Seahawks, Commanders and anyone else that fires their coach after the first round of the playoffs. If for no other reason that his race.

Tomlin is a good solid coach. Can take a team that is down and build it up to competitive team. Any team that had been out of the playoffs for long stretches would jump at the chance to hire him.

Jets and Giants….. in a tenth of a heartbeat. They suck and need someone with record of winning and someone that can attract free agents. And the NYC media would love him. A perfect fit.

San Diego, Tennessee, Rams, and Arizona all would grab him up.

Reactions: bison13
Tomlin is a good solid coach. Can take a team that is down and build it up to competitive team. Any team that had been out of the playoffs for long stretches would jump at the chance to hire him.

Jets and Giants….. in a tenth of a heartbeat. They suck and need someone with record of winning and someone that can attract free agents. And the NYC media would love him. A perfect fit.

San Diego, Tennessee, Rams, and Arizona all would grab him up.
Like I said, no actual fan of a team will connect him with THEIR team, just other teams.

Ok let's find out: Jets and Giants fans, DO YOU WANT MIKE TOMLIN NEXT YEAR....YES OR NO.

And remember now that I am keeping receipts on this thread for next January, so y'all on record.
Look at the apologist meister pull back with the laugh emoji as I jam him up YET AGAIN ON YET ANOTHER THREAD 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT