ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh media letting Tomlin have it, BIG TIME...

Bake Mayfield?
I have never been a fan of Baker Mayfield, but he was not treated fairly last season. He was injured most of the year. He's playing good football for Tampa. Maybe if he doesn't have to go through 8 coaches in the next couple years , he will turn out to be a pretty good QB.

The bush and picket first round picks, also wasn’t Jarvis Jones also a first rounder, are three big misses that potentially cost this team Super Bowl opportunities and with regard to Pickett at least some playoff wins.
  • Najee Harris - 1st rd pick for a RB? Too many other needs
  • Pressley Harvin - 7th rd pick - I realize its a 7th rounder and its a punter but it's on my list because its been 3 seasons and he stinks. Punters are a dime a dozen.
  • Devin Bush - 1st rd - already noted in previous post
  • Justin Layne - 3rd rd - did he ever see the field?
  • Terrell Edmunds - 1st rd - he was horrible in the secondary
  • Sean Davis - 2nd rd - don't even remember him
  • Bud Dupree - 1st rd - 1 good year?
  • Jarvis Jones - 1st rd - already noted in previous post
  • Mike Adams - 2nd rd - just a mess
  • Rashard Mendenhall - again a 1st rd pick for a RB?
Did Cowher hit on all his picks? No but I can do down his list of picks and see multiple starts for multiple years. I realize Colbert overlapped over both coaches so did he all of a sudden get bad and identifying talent or did the change from Cowher to Tomlin and therefore that HC's input change? I suspect it was the latter.

Steelers didn't announce that. Tomlin told his players that he would be back. That is a difference. Tomlin lacks a lot of things but bravado isn't one of them. He could have told the players that because he believes an extension will be completed or he could have told them that and let it go public so he puts pressure on the front office to get the deal done because otherwise, the blame for not getting it done shifts to the Rooneys not him.

That last part is a bit conspiratorial (though likely right at home on a football message board) but I wouldn't put it past Tomlin to use the media to pressure the front office. They already get the pressure from the ESPN talking heads who think it would be insane to fire Tomlin and throw out the line - "who are they going to get who is equal to or better?" They fail to recognize that no one heard of Cowher until Steelers hired him and no one heard of Tomlin until the Steelers hired him.
I get what you're saying, but Tomlin is still under contract for 1 more year. So saying that he plans on honoring the terms of his contract for the upcoming season isn't really stepping out of his lane.

Reactions: LandoComando
I have never been a fan of Baker Mayfield, but he was not treated fairly last season. He was injured most of the year. He's playing good football for Tampa. Maybe if he doesn't have to go through 8 coaches in the next couple years , he will turn out to be a pretty good QB.
Oh we disagree on that. I think pretty much any QB would love to play behind that line with Godwin/Evans.

I get what you're saying, but Tomlin is still under contract for 1 more year. So saying that he plans on honoring the terms of his contract for the upcoming season isn't really stepping out of his lane.
This^^^
Tomlin intends on being back--forcing the Steelers to fire him as he has a contract. Why wouldn't he say that?

23 teams have won a playoff game more recently than the Steelers--do you think any of the other 8 teams have the same coach they had the last time they won a playoff game?

I loved Ben, but much like Joe, he hung on too long.
I agree, Roethlisberger hung on too long and the Steelers enabled him to do so. You can't win without a good QB and when the QB you have that used to be good is no longer good you've got to start trying to find the next good QB. The sooner you start looking, the sooner you get one. The Steelers wasted two years before starting to look for one by letting a washed Roethlisberger continue to be the QB.

I agree, Roethlisberger hung on too long and the Steelers enabled him to do so. You can't win without a good QB and when the QB you have that used to be good is no longer good you've got to start trying to find the next good QB. The sooner you start looking, the sooner you get one. The Steelers wasted two years before starting to look for one by letting a washed Roethlisberger continue to be the QB.
it was kind of worse than just hanging on two years too long. when Roethlisberger was getting towards the end he was eating up a very massive amount of cap space and it made it impossible for the franchise to build in any way for the post-Roethlisberger era. this is going back to like 2015 and 2016. he still had it but it was obvious that he was never going to have another super bowl run. they should have dealt him at that point instead of staying in that situation

Farmboy Pickett isn't another big Ben

Ben was frustrating at times throughout his career but even at the end he was still a top 10 QB in the game

Reactions: Ski
it was kind of worse than just hanging on two years too long. when Roethlisberger was getting towards the end he was eating up a very massive amount of cap space and it made it impossible for the franchise to build in any way for the post-Roethlisberger era. this is going back to like 2015 and 2016. he still had it but it was obvious that he was never going to have another super bowl run. they should have dealt him at that point instead of staying in that situation
He also ran the offense like he was coach or OC. Called way too many passes becyof his ego. Took Wednesdays off. Shined when the drafted Rudolph.

Complained about many issues on his radio show…… one should never do so publicly. If you have issues then meet the coaches privately. Never good to air out your dirty laundry in public.

He also ran the offense like he was coach or OC. Called way too many passes becyof his ego. Took Wednesdays off. Shined when the drafted Rudolph.

Complained about many issues on his radio show…… one should never do so publicly. If you have issues then meet the coaches privately. Never good to air out your dirty laundry in public.
i think they should have traded him earlier in his career after the GB super bowl, if there was a way to end up with a veteran QB replacement. he was a top qb but had numerous issues over the years. i suspect a lot of other teams didn't want to deal with it either, so a fair trade would've been hard

Reactions: The Spin Meister
i think they should have traded him earlier in his career after the GB super bowl, if there was a way to end up with a veteran QB replacement. he was a top qb but had numerous issues over the years. i suspect a lot of other teams didn't want to deal with it either, so a fair trade would've been hard
When he almost killed himself in '06 driving a motorcycle recklessly without a helmet should have been a sign of who he was. He was pathetic his last couple of years and never mentored Rudolph. Tomlin is to blame for the train wreck at the end of his career.

When he almost killed himself in '06 driving a motorcycle recklessly without a helmet should have been a sign of who he was. He was pathetic his last couple of years and never mentored Rudolph. Tomlin is to blame for the train wreck at the end of his career.
you can say Tomlin is to blame, but look at your first sentence. and he got himself involved in things that were even worse. how was any coach going to make him into a mentor to young QBs? he wasn't going to change. i did read once that they shopped him around and nobody was interested

So Tomlin said today that Kenny Pickett is the starting QB next year. Said it will be a critical year in his development.

Also said they “hope to continue to go business with Mason Rudolph”. IMO, declaring Pickett the starter greatly increases the probability that Rudolph will leave. He is a free agent and looked pretty good under bad circumstances so other teams will probably make solid offers.

He has now been in the league six years. He wants to start and the clock is ticking. What say you?

So Tomlin said today that Kenny Pickett is the starting QB next year. Said it will be a critical year in his development.

Also said they “hope to continue to go business with Mason Rudolph”. IMO, declaring Pickett the starter greatly increases the probability that Rudolph will leave. He is a free agent and looked pretty good under bad circumstances so other teams will probably make solid offers.

He has now been in the league six years. He wants to start and the clock is ticking. What say you?
why on earth would he name Pickett the starter so far in advance of the season?

letting Rudolph go is fine, but they should really be trading up in the draft to get a QB, or just trading for someone established. they have a lousy situation

letting Rudolph go is fine, but they should really be trading up in the draft to get a QB, or just trading for someone established. they have a lousy situation
Because he is Tomlin.

I swear…..head coaches in both college and pro ball will do anything to avoid a QB controversy. They will play their starter right to the end even with a three TD lead. Just can’t have the backup look good.

Because he is Tomlin.

I swear…..head coaches in both college and pro ball will do anything to avoid a QB controversy. They will play their starter right to the end even with a three TD lead. Just can’t have the backup look good.
I don't understand the Pickett experiment. they should just be looking at that as a stopgap, not the answer

I think it’s really by default because he was the starter for the majority of this season while one QB is a free agent (Rudolph) and the other will be a cap casualty (Trubisky). It’d be the same as Saleh saying they were bringing someone in to challenge Zach Wilson last season.

And honestly, Tomlin said everything I needed to hear from him today. He said they’ll be looking outside the organization for the new offensive coordinator (specifically said he’s talked with N.Y. about interviewing people, meaning someone they’re interested in is still playing) and he said that they’re going to bring in another QB to challenge Pickett. If it’s an upgrade over #8, that’s great. If Pickett beats him out, that’s great, too.

This was one of the most honest pressers I’ve heard from Tomlin since he was hired. Definitely feels like he’s heard the complaints and they’re going to make some much-needed changes. Don’t underestimate Khan/Weidl’s ability to bolster the roster, too.

This Farmboy Pickett crap should be enough to get Tomlin canned.

The guy is an ass.

I think it’s really by default because he was the starter for the majority of this season while one QB is a free agent (Rudolph) and the other will be a cap casualty (Trubisky). It’d be the same as Saleh saying they were bringing someone in to challenge Zach Wilson last season.

And honestly, Tomlin said everything I needed to hear from him today. He said they’ll be looking outside the organization for the new offensive coordinator (specifically said he’s talked with N.Y. about interviewing people, meaning someone they’re interested in is still playing) and he said that they’re going to bring in another QB to challenge Pickett. If it’s an upgrade over #8, that’s great. If Pickett beats him out, that’s great, too.

This was one of the most honest pressers I’ve heard from Tomlin since he was hired. Definitely feels like he’s heard the complaints and they’re going to make some much-needed changes. Don’t underestimate Khan/Weidl’s ability to bolster the roster, too.
What QB is coming in to challenge Pickett when he's been named the starter. Everything he said was as insincere as always. He's saying what people want him to say but won't follow through. Kenny starts barring injury and it's more of the same. Mediocrity

What QB is coming in to challenge Pickett when he's been named the starter. Everything he said was as insincere as always. He's saying what people want him to say but won't follow through. Kenny starts barring injury and it's more of the same. Mediocrity
Justin Fields and Kyler Murray are potential trade candidates (not specifically for the Steelers, but could be on the trade block) and Russell Wilson will hit the open market with an uncertain future. Lower-profile options like Gardner Minshew will also be available and would welcome the opportunity to challenge Pickett for the starting job.

It’s a long offseason. This isn’t Kevin Colbert sleeping at the wheel. Like I said before, I trust Khan and Weidl to find ways to upgrade the roster at every position, including QB.

Justin Fields and Kyler Murray are potential trade candidates (not specifically for the Steelers, but could be on the trade block) and Russell Wilson will hit the open market with an uncertain future. Lower-profile options like Gardner Minshew will also be available and would welcome the opportunity to challenge Pickett for the starting job.

It’s a long offseason. This isn’t Kevin Colbert sleeping at the wheel. Like I said before, I trust Khan and Weidl to find ways to upgrade the roster at every position, including QB.
You shouldn't trust them. They've never done that. They need to make Cousins a huge offer. And you realize naming Kenny the starter then talking about bringing someone in to challenge him doesn't make any sense. Right?

Tomlin returns to stupidness. Wtf is wrong with this guy?

He needs to go immediately.

I get what you are saying but once they cut Mitch, KP is the default starter as he will be the only QB that the Steelers have who is still under contract.

KP needs to acknowledge that his teammates for whatever reason seemed to respond and play better for Rudolph than they were doing for him.

Most notably, the lack of wide receiver physical lapses and an offensive line that seemed to execute and had more confidence in his replacement.

And I still don't understand why against the Bengals he was not listed as the emergency QB even though that roster spot may not be occupied by any roster player other than a QB. Which if true, debunks the narrative that KP wanted to save that spot for a position player.

How can you pick next year's starter now?

The odor of Pickett's jock strap and underwear have addled Tomloon s brain.

Unpopular take:

This was Tomlin's best job coaching of his career.
Made it to the playoffs with a third string QB. All 3 QB at bottom of league statistically. I'm not sure one of them would start on any other team in the NFL.
Played like 2 games all year with the big three all on the field at the same time Watt, Minkah & Cam.
Rookie cornerback.
Nobody on the offense that remotely scares teams. OK Pickens, a little bit but far from some pro bowl type WR.
3 yards and a cloud of dust running game.
The fact he got this team to playoffs all things considered is nothing short of unreal.

This team had no business being in the playoffs but somehow they got there, tons of credit MT.

Reactions: bison13
Unpopular take:

This was Tomlin's best job coaching of his career.
Made it to the playoffs with a third string QB. All 3 QB at bottom of league statistically. I'm not sure one of them would start on any other team in the NFL.
Played like 2 games all year with the big three all on the field at the same time Watt, Minkah & Cam.
Rookie cornerback.
Nobody on the offense that remotely scares teams. OK Pickens, a little bit but far from some pro bowl type WR.
3 yards and a cloud of dust running game.
The fact he got this team to playoffs all things considered is nothing short of unreal.

This team had no business being in the playoffs but somehow they got there, tons of credit MT.

Rudolph gets the credit. And how does Tomlin reward him?

By shitting on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT