ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Sports for Fall 2020, Ongoing Discussion

Last time I checked, I do not think there is a college conference in PA at any level that is moving ahead with Fall Sports. Correct me if I am wrong?
And I wasn’t just talking about PA...I said all smaller conferences that can play some games.

You would be mistaken. Temple is in the American Athletic Conference, which is still planning to play football.

true. But, Said a college conference in PA playing football? Basically, what I am saying is no conference based inPA is playing football this fall. When it’s all said and done, PIAA will not as well.

Think about if the other three P5 conferences play, all the smaller colleges that are allowing games still play, high schools and middle schools play, and there are no problems....that could be the biggest blunder in the history of leadership of any type.
Penn State has already set that bar pretty high...

Well, it sounds like Exeter is taking the right steps. If this is any indication of how high school sports is going to go when they finally start real practice(since these were only summer workouts), I think we are in for a heap of things like this. However, unless the school district does testing I can see families of seniors not disclosing results to keep their kid in the game and not cancel the teams season so their kid can compete in their senior year. This is going to be challenging to control this way. I am sure this is some kind of HIPPA violation if the school does the testing and wants the results, unless they waived something like that.

Wolf just came out with a new school mask mandate this afternoon. Students will be required to wear masks all day in school except when they are eating, etc. My view is all schools will be virtual by the end of the week. Doesn't look good for fall sports

Reactions: Strick73
We have done a ton of work at the high school where I coach to keep kids safe. All throughout the summer we did our best to keep kids safe with contact tracing, socially distancing, disinfecting all equipment etc. Everything we have done has been informed by the latest data and our COVID response team updates us weekly about any changes.

We are ready for the fall and on our end nothing will really change. We have 44 kids in the program and a minimum of 35 showed up at every summer workout.

Going back to school will obviously expose them to more people. Let’s be honest though and acknowledge what everyone who works with kids already knows and that is that as soon as they leave our sight they make no attempt to social distance. They are outside playing basketball, hanging out and playing sports for their club teams, and in my experience the club teams are doing a far inferior job than the high schools to abide by safety regulations. Having them go back to school really changes nothing, especially if they are being made to wear masks all day.

Wolf just came out with a new school mask mandate this afternoon. Students will be required to wear masks all day in school except when they are eating, etc. My view is all schools will be virtual by the end of the week.

There is a huge gap between requiring the wearing of masks, and forcing schools to go virtual. Currently, each school in PA had to file a plan with the DoE, and is making the decision on their own. County health departments can make recommendations. This past Friday evening, the Chester County health department (which also is serving as the health department for Delaware County) notified all public and private schools that it was their recommendation that each school in the two counties go 100% online until Oct. 9. That's not a requirement, so it remains to be seen how each district within the two respective counties will respond. In terms of the Commonwealth, I think the infection rates would have to really spike in the next two weeks for the State to require that all school be virtual.

Doesn't look good for fall sports

That's a tougher one to predict. There are strong opinions on both side, and differing challenges with each sport. In some of the team sports, there are varsity, junior varsity, 9th grade, 8th grade, and 7th grade teams. Each district has multiple plan models, and many districts have models that include options for only competing at the varsity level for the fall. And that's if the PIAA allows play to go forward. All fall sports are currently delayed 2 weeks, and some leagues have already adopted plans that delay actual competition until late Sep or the beginning of Oct. The PIAA is slated to meet on Friday afternoon to see if they can decide what to do, and even if they make a decision, it's unlikely to be the final decision on fall sports in PA.

Yeah good luck getting a 2nd grader to wear a mask all day and not have it become an immediate distraction.

Ohio just said yes to fall sports

I find this to be an interesting graphic

EfuLr0lU8AI_ngj

Yeah good luck getting a 2nd grader to wear a mask all day and not have it become an immediate distraction.

I have no idea why this is in this thread, as 2nd graders do not participate in PIAA sports.

If you're complaining about PA's Dept. of Ed and Dept. of Health mandating that students wear masks at all times while at school, it's not as though they just invented the idea to be nuisance to students, teachers, and administrators. The aforementioned PA Departments issued the mandate after the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) updated their guidelines, in which they strongly recommended that children aged two and older should wear face coverings at all times to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus.

Reactions: dwiz
I have no idea why this is in this thread, as 2nd graders do not participate in PIAA sports.

If you're complaining about PA's Dept. of Ed and Dept. of Health mandating that students wear masks at all times while at school, it's not as though they just invented the idea to be nuisance to students, teachers, and administrators. The aforementioned PA Departments issued the mandate after the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) updated their guidelines, in which they strongly recommended that children aged two and older should wear face coverings at all times to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus.
His solution is 14 minute classes and everyone will be fine.

I was replying to a post in this thread about Wolf requiring masks. And good luck getting younger kids to wear masks for extended periods without it becoming a hindrance to their learning. The AAP also notes that while masks are great, social distancing may be more effective.

Good for the PIAA. If you are a Superintendent or school board member....you now have the choice of ignoring the recommendation of the governor, board of health and state education dept. and moving ahead with sports. I'm seriously wondering how many district legal counsels and insurance carriers will recommend this.

Good for the PIAA. If you are a Superintendent or school board member....you now have the choice of ignoring the recommendation of the governor, board of health and state education dept. and moving ahead with sports. I'm seriously wondering how many district legal counsels and insurance carriers will recommend this.

Quite a few. Many leagues are currently working on their schedules.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
MIAA (Massachusetts) announced that, for now, all fall sports EXCEPT FOOTBALL, will proceed. Looks like the seasons may be condensed a bit for fall, winter and spring sports, with a "wedge" schedule in early spring into spring where football would be tentatively placed. Football practice and games in Massachusetts in late February through April. Basically when it's freezing and snow is constantly on the ground (not in some recent years, but typically). Sounds like a great idea.

Quite a few. Many leagues are currently working on their schedules.
The Big Ten produced a schedule a few days before they shut down. I have league schedules for the 17 schools I service in our computer system for all fall sports 7-12 and all winter sports. My post was in reference to decision makers (BOE and School Superintendents) actually moving forward in the face of recommendations from the major governmental agencies in the state. I'm just buttering my popcorn. I could be wrong....but I don't think this is over yet.

Unfortunately that is one of the biggest reasons we cancelled our youth league. Some of the parents still went nuts though.

Unfortunately that is one of the biggest reasons we cancelled our youth league. Some of the parents still went nuts though.
It's just my opinion, as an observer from a distance.......Lombardi has put every District Superintendent in the cross hairs. As you stated, the emotion of "let them play," is one matter, the protocols and procedures not to mention the liability risks are another. It's easy to sneeze at them, as long as it is not your ass that's hanging out.
Parents want 100% in school instruction and athletics as well.....so they can go on with their lives. I wonder what those emotions will convert to the minute a child has a serious permanent impact or worse from the virus. The same people who quote the "odds" of this happening also play the lottery. LOL

Why would you possibly be buttering your popcorn?
Because I'm an interested observer. I've been involved in this sort of thing for about 48 years. This is like nothing any of us has ever experienced. I only know that administratively (education) its unheard of to thumb your nose at "recommendations" that involve health and safety.
I also understand the raw emotions that are swirling around interscholastic athletics. It's going to be a "head on" collision.

I am very nervous about what will happen here in NY, even if the governor lifts his ban on interscholastic sports. I wonder if the insurance carriers for schools and officials organizations will get "cold feet."
Or will the protocols and procedures to move forward be so stringent, that virtually no school district will be able to comply?
That's what is happening to school "reopening." Many districts wanted to do a hybrid (2 days in person 3 days remote). Until they started to look at the details......12 of the 17 schools I work with have now decided to open (at least until Oct.) 100% remote.

I know it's not PIAA but yesterday we had a meeting for athletics here in md. Even though the state has postponed sports until January, there are many counties here with sub 2.5% positive rates. If those numbers remain the same or less, HS teams will be allowed to have in person workouts. 10 person pods with a max of 50 total in the stadium or adjustable totals based on the size field was presented as possible. No inside workouts but its something. It sounded like frederick county (2.0% positive) may try to start as soon as after labor day.

A father with a familiar name.

McGovern to speak at Let Them Play PA Rally

5f3c7216ce2ca.image.jpg

Buy Now
Lake-Lehman superintendent Jim McGovern will speak at the Let Them Play PA Rally in Harrisburg on Thursday.

CITIZENS’ VOICE FILE

As superintendent at Lake-Lehman High School, Jim McGovern’s first responsibility is to his district. He listens to the students as well as the community.

On Thursday morning, McGovern will be allowed 10 minutes to state his case as a speaker at a Let Them Play PA Rally at the state Capitol in Harrisburg.

The rally comes one day before the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association Board of Directors meet to determine the fate of the fall sports season. Parents and athletes from schools around the state are expected to be in attendance, pleading their case to Gov. Tom Wolf, who made a recommendation that school and youth sports not be played until at least Jan. 1, 2021 as a way to mitigate the coronavirus pandemic.

“As much as I would like to address the governor, we are just spinning our wheels if we think he is going to change his position,” McGovern said. “It is not based on granular data, but data used from other states such as youth camps. It is hard for me to use that with my job to see what is in the best interest of the Lake-Lehman School District.”

At several press briefings since making his recommendation, Wolf has maintained his stance that sports not be held. Ultimately, the decision will be left in the hands of local school districts as well as leagues and conferences. The Lackawanna League has altered its fall schedule, while the Wyoming Valley Conference recently voted to hold an eight-game football season and made adjustments to schedules in other sports. The first day of fall practice is Monday.

PIAA officials met with representatives from the governor’s office last week to discuss Wolf’s recommendation. The governor’s office stood firm with its stance.

On Tuesday, PIAA executive director

Robert Lombardi told the state Athletics Oversight Committee that the PIAA is planning to move forward with fall sports.

“I know with the way the PIAA has spoken, it really wants the students to have the opportunity to compete this fall,” McGovern said. “My message is going to be to the superintendents and the school boards. We need to keep an open mind and listen to our constituents of our school districts. We shouldn’t be making decisions under fear of what we don’t know. Listening to everyone in my district, we are going to live for today. Once we make that decision, all our efforts are now to make this as safe as possible.”

When the PIAA gave the green light for school districts to begin voluntary workouts over the summer provided a return to safe play protocol was put in place and posted on the school’s website, Lake-Lehman was the first WVC school to get out on the field.

Lake-Lehman has not reported any sort of issues regarding those protocols and coaches, administrators and student-athletes have been doing everything put in place to maintain a safe environment, McGovern said.

“My job at Lake-Lehman is to do everything possible to give our students the best opportunity to compete in the safest way possible,” McGovern said. “We are wasting a lot of time discussing the possibility of playing when we should be focusing on the minute details. We need to figure out what game day is going to look like.”

With school districts navigating their way through figuring out how to open schools, the scenario will now be how to handle a sports season as well. McGovern would rather have a plan in place, rather than have someone tell him what his plan should be.

“There are complex, valid arguments on both sides,” McGovern said. “We made a decision to open (Lake-Lehman). There are a lot of schools who haven’t. We look for others to tell us what to do. In this case nobody is telling us what to do. Sometimes we sit down and do nothing when we look for someone to tell us what we should be doing. My key is that we are at the time of the year where these students deserve answers.”

McGovern is just not advocating for student-athletes to get back on the field. He wants cheerleaders at football games and he wants to hear the band playing when the team runs out on the field. And if there is a way, he wants parents in the stands supporting their children.

“We are going to do everything in our power to make this work,” McGovern said. “I am looking for a commitment from other districts that are like-minded like us. I want them to join us to make this a quality experience for all of our kids. The time for debate is over. I would like to be colleagues with like-minded like me. Not to play or compete with them, but to have an open discussion to talk about what works, what doesn’t work and how we can tweak it.”

https://www.citizensvoice.com/sport...cle_5e72e3d3-ffb5-5913-a1dd-09a3b4f1f743.html

The Friends School League (FSL) is located mostly in suburban Philadelphia. The schools are private, and are not PIAA schools. However, a good percentage of their non-league contests are with PIAA schools from the area, and per PIAA regs if either team is a PIAA school, then they have to follow PIAA rules. Thus, the FSL teams often are abiding by PIAA rules, and playing under PIAA refs.

It's just my opinion, as an observer from a distance.......Lombardi has put every District Superintendent in the cross hairs. As you stated, the emotion of "let them play," is one matter, the protocols and procedures not to mention the liability risks are another. It's easy to sneeze at them, as long as it is not your ass that's hanging out.
Parents want 100% in school instruction and athletics as well.....so they can go on with their lives. I wonder what those emotions will convert to the minute a child has a serious permanent impact or worse from the virus. The same people who quote the "odds" of this happening also play the lottery. LOL

The PIAA appears inclined to recommend continuing play, but at the same time their catastrophic insurance policy doesn’t cover infectious or viral disease. And it doesn’t seem cost effective to add that so that will fall to the individual schools to weigh whether they want to take that risk or can afford to increase coverage.

https://www.ydr.com/story/sports/20...me-hurdle-fall-high-school-sports/5608615002/

The PIAA appears inclined to recommend continuing play, but at the same time their catastrophic insurance policy doesn’t cover infectious or viral disease. And it doesn’t seem cost effective to add that so that will fall to the individual schools to weigh whether they want to take that risk or can afford to increase coverage.

https://www.ydr.com/story/sports/20...me-hurdle-fall-high-school-sports/5608615002/
If you check the thread I predicted that insurance carriers could well be the determining factor in this mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT