ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ole Miss too much for shorthanded Penn State to handle as Lions fall 38-25

And we get 5 wins to ease into it before a trip to USC
If we opened against USC or Ohio State I'd be far more concerned

you are really an optimist if you think we will win that game or that the 5 game tune up will help.

I'd anticipate that going sort of like the game we saw today.

I think the "good" wins next season are UCLA and Wisconsin. and i'm not even sure about Wisconsin

you are really an optimist if you think we will win that game or that the 5 game tune up will help.

I'd anticipate that going sort of like the game we saw today.

I think the closest we will come to "good" wins next season are UCLA and Wisconsin. and i'm not even sure about Wisconsin
I don't know how good USC will be. I think they'll put up points but they couldn't stop anyone this year. Does that change overnight?

We have issue but so does pretty much everyone else--or at least everyone else.

We may not have a good win next year--but USC might not be considered a good win--they weren't this year.

I don't know how good USC will be. I think they'll put up points but they couldn't stop anyone this year. Does that change overnight?

We have issue but so does pretty much everyone else--or at least everyone else.

We may not have a good win next year--but USC might not be considered a good win--they weren't this year.
they couldn't stop good offenses, but we also don't have one of those

based on what we saw today, our offense will just stop itself in a semi-important game

Reactions: Ski
they couldn't stop good offenses, but we also don't have one of those
They couldn't stop any offense
Colorado put up 40ish
Cal scored 40-something or 50
I want to ASU had 30ish?
I know Utah won 34-32 with a walk-on QB and a team that was dreadful offensively all year

They couldn't stop any offense
Colorado put up 40ish
Cal scored 40-something or 50
I want to ASU had 30ish?
I know Utah won 34-32 with a walk-on QB and a team that was dreadful offensively all year
so let's say we score 35 or 40 against them. i am not sure that means we win. watched them vs louisville and they were able to score a lot of points very quickly. we aren't used to playing anyone who does that

so let's say we score 35 or 40 against them. i am not sure that means we win
Sure--I have no idea what their offense looks like but it would be disappointing if we couldn't told them to 30. I'm not counting that as a win. I'm saying it's not "a loss" going into the year. Ohio State is probably a loss. Washington--maybe. USC is "coin toss" game IMO

Glad to see DaeSean indirectly call out some of the guys on Twitter by saying "Since when non first rounders sit out bowl games." He is right...this program has a sort of good 'culture' but still way over-inflated with JF's media team.

There are numerous examples, but take Bama having to play K-St in the Sugar Bowl after a disappointing finish. Bryce Young and Will Anderson (two TOP 3 PICKS), played in the game. That's player led leadership, not the soft, indifferent mentality of our program.
Amen.

They don't. Every replay we've seen today had no one open. Just like all year. You just have an agenda here.
Funny guy you are … no agenda, just don’t see a div 1 qb on our roster. Not a fan of our wrs either ..: was happy to finally see a screen today … although our qb had issues with that as well. How many blocked passes today … I think it was 7

Sure--I have no idea what their offense looks like but it would be disappointing if we couldn't told them to 30. I'm not counting that as a win. I'm saying it's not "a loss" going into the year. Ohio State is probably a loss. Washington--maybe. USC is "coin toss" game IMO
Defense will need MANY guys to step up. Only one sack today vs ole miss -- very disappointing. Have to hope the 2's and 3's from the secondary really develops quickly. I think an overlooked position is DE. Dennis-Sutton had 3.5 sacks this year and has been just ok, despite a high star recruit. Lyons has promise...who knows where Vilbert stands. I love the LB room with Rojas, Carter, Wylie, Keys, etc. But many holes to fill that one off-season might not fix.

Funny guy you are … no agenda, just don’t see a div 1 qb on our roster. Not a fan of our wrs either ..: was happy to finally see a screen today … although our qb had issues with that as well. How many blocked passes today … I think it was 7
You don't believe Allar is a DI QB--meaning he couldn't play in the FCS?
Yet he's projected as a top 10 pick
Yes, the balls batted down at the line are an issue and Allar is far from a finished product but he's not a DI QB? Maybe the dumbest thing I've read here and psubiomed exists.

Yes, the balls batted down at the line are an issue and Allar is far from a finished product but he's not a DI QB? Maybe the dumbest thing I've read here and psubiomed exists.
Lando...I know you like to throw out where someone is projected at, but you very well know that is all based on 'potential' from measurables, arm, etc., rather than performance at this point. NFL bloggers and eval guys have to put names out there...and as we see in every draft, most evals are incorrect. Allar, simply at this point, is NOWHERE near a first round qb...He's not even close to one of the best QB's in the country.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Lando...I know you like to throw out where someone is projected at, but you very well know that is all based on 'potential' from measurables, arm, etc., rather than performance at this point. NFL bloggers and eval guys have to put names out there...and as we see in every draft, most evals are incorrect. Allar, simply at this point, is NOWHERE near a first round qb...He's not even close to one of the best QB's in the country.
100% based on projections. He has the tools--why isn't our staff getting him to that level.
When Hackenberg left people also told me he wouldn't go day 2. Maybe he shouldn't have but when you have this kind of skillset, unless you're a behavior problem, you're going to be drafted by something that thinks they can fix you.
Kenny Pickett was a first round pick.

100% based on projections. He has the tools--why isn't our staff getting him to that level.
When Hackenberg left people also told me he wouldn't go day 2. Maybe he shouldn't have but when you have this kind of skillset, unless you're a behavior problem, you're going to be drafted by something that thinks they can fix you.

if you go way back, when Hackenberg was a freshman or sophomore there were projections that he would be the #1 overall pick in 2015 or 2016. so those projections don't really mean anything

Reactions: scrivener
For sure he has the 'tools' and nfl prototype qualities -- arm, size, character kid (we think), etc. But, there are a ton of those guys all over the landscape, including the 1-AA level. QB is more than that stuff...what do you have upstairs? Coaching can only do so much. You either have it or you dont, for the most part. But in totality, I agree with you. The QB development with this staff isn't exactly a highlight.

if you go way back, when Hackenberg was a freshman or sophomore there were projections that he would be the #1 overall pick in 2015 or 2016. so those projections don't really mean anything
Right he fell because Franklin came in and ruined him but he still went on Day 2 because of upside
If Allar entered the portal he'd have 20 calls in an hour.

Hack played impressively as a freshman under O'Brien, but floundered under Franklin's offensive scheme as a SO and JR.

For sure he has the 'tools' and nfl prototype qualities -- arm, size, character kid (we think), etc. But, there are a ton of those guys all over the landscape, including the 1-AA level. QB is more than that stuff...what do you have upstairs? Coaching can only do so much. You either have it or you dont, for the most part. But in totality, I agree with you. The QB development with this staff isn't exactly a highlight.
Then why aren't they projected as he is? Pretending his arm, size, etc is just common is insane.
I don't see a problem with him processing things. I see a problem with him trying to run this scheme.
Coaching needs to adapt to his strengths.
To your point, has any QB under Franklin improved. Clifford at the end was still throwing picks. McSorley's worst year was his last. As was Hack's. What's that say about the staff?

Reactions: scrivener
also because the person who was forecasting a draft two years out was just randomly guessing
They weren't "guessing" they were "evaluating talent" and expected development
Anyone that saw Hack as a true freshman in our circumstances saw a future star. He ruined his own career by "doing the right thing" and staying.

They weren't "guessing" they were "evaluating talent" and expected development
Anyone that saw Hack as a true freshman in our circumstances saw a future star. He ruined his own career by "doing the right thing" and staying.
I think you are inflating how good he was as a freshman. much of the success he had that year was due to Allen Robinson

I think you are inflating how good he was as a freshman. much of the success he had that year was due to Allen Robinson
2-1 TD/INT ratio, 3k yards, completion % around 60% with a team hinder by sanctions? He was impressive
And, yes, Allen Robinson obviously helped but big time programs should have legit WRs.

2-1 TD/INT ratio, 3k yards, completion % around 60% with a team hinder by sanctions? He was impressive
And, yes, Allen Robinson obviously helped but big time programs should have legit WRs.
well the WRs he had in 2015 were suddenly great in 2016 with an undersized qb throwing to them

well the WRs he had in 2015 were suddenly great in 2016 with an undersized qb throwing to them
Because Trace fit scheme. Goes back to Franklin not altering to fit his talent. And Trace benefited from Saquon and 50/50 balls. Different QB. All Franklin's fault.

Reactions: Ski
Yes, the balls batted down at the line are an issue and Allar is far from a finished product but he's not a DI QB? Maybe the dumbest thing I've read here and psubiomed exists

top 10 pick …. Nothing in his play says he even gets drafted. Really hope that changes, but the body of work so far says otherwise. 7 batted balls, another half dozen complete misses over, under, behind and ahead, wrong shoulder, indecisive … Stop it.

top 10 pick …. Nothing in his play says he even gets drafted. Really hope that changes, but the body of work so far says otherwise. 7 batted balls, another half dozen complete misses over, under, behind and ahead, wrong shoulder, indecisive … Stop it.
he will get drafted

but in big games something is really off and he isn't helping the cause of winning those games

You need to rewatch some of that without the emotion
Again, it was said not a DI QB...which is probably the dumbest statement ever made here. I wonder if people even know what DI means sometimes.

Hack played impressively as a freshman under O'Brien, but floundered under Franklin's offensive scheme as a SO and JR.
And Allar had a much better year in his first year starting than Hack’s freshman year under Franklin’s offensive scheme.

And Allar had a much better year in his first year starting than Hack’s freshman year under Franklin’s offensive scheme.
Apples and oranges. We were still recovering from sanctions then - that's why O'Brien was there, remember? Allar was supposed to have the supporting cast to get to the CFP. Not even a close comparison.

Apples and oranges. We were still recovering from sanctions then - that's why O'Brien was there, remember? Allar was supposed to have the supporting cast to get to the CFP. Not even a close comparison.
And Franklin’s first two years were crushed by the sanctions as well. O’Brien still had a lot of Paterno recruits who were experienced. And Hack’s freshman year was not as great as people seem to think it was…look at the statistics. His third year wasn’t much different than his first year.

And Franklin’s first two years were crushed by the sanctions as well. O’Brien still had a lot of Paterno recruits who were experienced. And Hack’s freshman year was not as great as people seem to think it was…look at the statistics. His third year wasn’t much different than his first year.
I think you missed my original point. O'Brien was a much better QB coach and offensive mind for that time and Franklin completely changed the scheme. Hack's best comp%, TDs, and QB rating were his freshman year.

I think you missed my original point. O'Brien was a much better QB coach and offensive mind for that time and Franklin completely changed the scheme. Hack's best comp%, TDs, and QB rating were his freshman year.
O'Brien also responded to the sanctions by not really using many scholarships on OL, which hit the program harder in the years after he left. so there were many variables involved

Things change--players get advice and make informed decision. Hopefully Franklin was encouraging many of them to skip the game. His primary responsibility is their future.

Kalen's stock won't be saved by a bowl game. He needs to dominate the combine. I do agree he could have used extra film but a bad bowl game for him could also be detrimental. He's going to rely on the combine and his athleticism. Basically betting on himself.

We knew there would be more guys out than Chop. We're not different in that regard nor should we want to be.
You sure have not changed. Since when did winning football games not become a coach's primary responsibility?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT