ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Sports for Fall 2020, Ongoing Discussion

My daughter will be a senior tennis player. A sport that should really have no issues as a result of this virus so long as a few adjustments are made. Word on the street is that football parents are already planting the seed that if they can't play, no sport should play because you know that wouldn't be "fair". Parents are the worst, especially high school football parents who can't seem to realize that their kids aren't going to the NFL.

Football players should keep their mouth guards in their mouth throughout competition. If removed, it should be disinfected before reinsertion.

This alone should be fun to enforce.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I know that they are non revenue sports and a day of reckoning is coming regarding expenditures, but these kids bust their hump all year getting ready to play also. I hope they really are afforded the opportunity.

My daughter will be a senior tennis player. A sport that should really have no issues as a result of this virus so long as a few adjustments are made. Word on the street is that football parents are already planting the seed that if they can't play, no sport should play because you know that wouldn't be "fair". Parents are the worst, especially high school football parents who can't seem to realize that their kids aren't going to the NFL.

Yeah, but on the other hand, what ever football gets all the other sports want it too!!

Reactions: wilbury
I am not confidant at all that my son will be able to wrestle this year as a sophomore. A shame since he was really looking forward to this year since he had a tough year as a freshman who was wrestling up two weight classes. He had to drink water before weigh-ins to make the minimum weight.

Yesterday Illinois announced high school football, volleyball and soccer will be played in the spring.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Just think of all the swimming parents who never knew about other competitors 'peeing' in the pool during competition.

I hope they play.
But it’s still early. Not gonna hold my breath.
I hope everyone reads what I am writing CAREFULLY. I'm not sure if the actions of the PIAA yesterday were shrewd or cowardly. By leaving the decision up to the individual districts, it simply keeps the organization from being the "bad guy." IMO, it will not be long until some school districts in PA. come out with the inevitable cancellations. School districts simply are not equipped to take the precautions or carry out the protocols needed to ensure the safety and contain the spread (inevitable). One only needs to see the panic that ensued after the Marlins' outbreak. I can't imagine the out cry from parents of school age athlete's. What if an athlete is exposed during competition at another school and the next day he is seated in English next to your daughter? I am not intending to rehash the debate about youngsters being able to over come the virus with minimal adverse impact to their health. I am simply commenting on the logistics and logic of districts pushing ahead with interscholastic sports this fall.

I hope everyone reads what I am writing CAREFULLY. I'm not sure if the actions of the PIAA yesterday were shrewd or cowardly. By leaving the decision up to the individual districts, it simply keeps the organization from being the "bad guy." IMO, it will not be long until some school districts in PA. come out with the inevitable cancellations. School districts simply are not equipped to take the precautions or carry out the protocols needed to ensure the safety and contain the spread (inevitable). One only needs to see the panic that ensued after the Marlins' outbreak. I can't imagine the out cry from parents of school age athlete's. What if an athlete is exposed during competition at another school and the next day he is seated in English next to your daughter? I am not intending to rehash the debate about youngsters being able to over come the virus with minimal adverse impact to their health. I am simply commenting on the logistics and logic of districts pushing ahead with interscholastic sports this fall.

I believe the PIAA was wise in their plan. Lombardi is a straight shooter, and there isn't a one sized fits all for each of the schools in the state. What they do in Coudersport might be different than what they do in Philadelphia County. The individual schools, leagues, and districts will play a critical role in the decision making.

As far as your question about an athlete exposing a classmate, is that any different than a student going to the beach (or a trip to Disney) a week before classes start?

You could have stopped with.....parents are the worst. I am thankful that I had parents that let me engage in sports and NEVER spoke to the coach or anyone about things like my SELF ESTEEM. My Dad was busting his ass 60 hours a week to keep his business running. There were times when I didn't think he even knew I was on a team. When I was a freshman I played jv football. We played after school so he never came to any games. He had a job. On the final game of the season, we played a few miles from his business. I didn't see him there, didn't expect him there and therefor didn't look around for him. I happened to catch a short sideline pass and shook loose to score on a long run after the catch. Later my Mother told me that my Dad started running down the field yelling,"go kid....go kid..." I could not have been more surprised that he would cheer for me. Honestly, if it hadn't been that my Mom told me I would not have believed it.
Later, in my senior season, I must have said something that he interpreted as a negative about my coach (PS I Idolized my coach and would never have knowingly criticized him).....very quietly, Dad looked up from his dinner plate and said,"if playing football doesn't make you happy, you can always come home from school and work for me." I made it a point after that to discuss sports only when asked a question.
I learned in the grand scheme of things, my participation in athletics was a privilege. Any issues I had while participating, were up to me to deal with. I can't help but chuckle when I read parents crying about how no in person instruction and no sports will stunt the mental and social development of their children. As if interfering in every aspect of your child's life is healthy.
Unfortunately, every discussion with administrators of athletics and sport officials today, deals with either incidents or concerns about the actions or potential reactions of parents.

I believe the PIAA was wise in their plan. Lombardi is a straight shooter, and there isn't a one sized fits all for each of the schools in the state. What they do in Coudersport might be different than what they do in Philadelphia County. The individual schools, leagues, and districts will play a critical role in the decision making.

As far as your question about an athlete exposing a classmate, is that any different than a student going to the beach (or a trip to Disney) a week before classes start?

I will agree that perhaps one size does not fit all....we will see. It still does not help me understand how schools will deal with the inevitable issues.
If the Ivy League and the MAC can't compete, is it unfair to wonder how a school district with its finances already strained by this pandemic will properly (testing, tracking, sanitizing, increased buses due to CDC guidelines)?
The difference is that if a classmate is exposed under my analogy, it will be a school sponsored activity that led to the situation. Is there liability to the district? Admittedly, I don't know the answer. What I do know, is that it is being discussed by the districts I work with here in NY.

Supposedly Norristown HS suspended their fall sports season.
the first of many......and the parents of athletes will be storming the school board meeting like it is Bastille Day. As I said in my earlier post.....is the PIAA shrewd or cowardly?

Supposedly Norristown HS suspended their fall sports season.

Their back-to-school plans are virtual instruction until January. Canceling fall sports doesn't seem like a huge surprise, when looked at in that context.

Others will follow..........
Personally, I wish the PIAA had done what we did in NY. We moved things back to 9/21 and can still start fall then. If we are unable to begin then, we will go to a 30 week schedule beginning 1/4/21......10 week winter season, 10 week fall season and 10 or more week spring season.
Both options buy time and that IMO is better than putting blinders on and pretending that everything is normal.

With most jurisdictions deciding to go the virtual learning route, this wouldn't be an issue.

With most jurisdictions deciding to go the virtual learning route, this wouldn't be an issue.
I'm not sure what you are saying? But, I know the Chiefs that I work with are saying, if it isn't safe to bring kids in to school, how do I justify sports?

I agree. I was just letting Marshall know that Norristown did what he said schools would do.
Just to be clear....canceling high school sports breaks my heart. I've been a coach, AD and now league administrator going on 48 years. But people just don't seem to see the complexity of issues......and it is tough when your kids are impacted. I serve on the COVID-19 task force both in our section (like districts in PIAA) and with the state (NYSPHSAA). For me, until the governor removes all restrictions, you get a green light from the Department of Health and students are in school........I just don't see a clear path to interscholastic sports.....If you are in a decision making capacity, your hands are tied. Pray for a vaccine.

I'm not sure what you are saying? But, I know the Chiefs that I work with are saying, if it isn't safe to bring kids in to school, how do I justify sports?
And when all college programs surrounding your league modify schedules...then we are in bizarre world. I get paif $50 per game to hold the sticks as a game "official" for the school I teach at. Been doing it for 12 years- awesome views of game and hanging with 2 buddies is about as good as it gets. We had our best year ever last season and a solid returning cast with a great coach. If they somehow play..I'll still get to see the games and get paid. Is it worth it? We'll see. I agree that the NY model to phase in makes more sense than PIAA...but there isn't a lot of common sense surrounding the whole school issue on the whole...

Reactions: marshall23
And when all college programs surrounding your league modify schedules...then we are in bizarre world. I get paif $50 per game to hold the sticks as a game "official" for the school I teach at. Been doing it for 12 years- awesome views of game and hanging with 2 buddies is about as good as it gets. We had our best year ever last season and a solid returning cast with a great coach. If they somehow play..I'll still get to see the games and get paid. Is it worth it? We'll see. I agree that the NY model to phase in makes more sense than PIAA...but there isn't a lot of common sense surrounding the whole school issue on the whole...
Its a mess. Nothing like it in my lifetime. No good choices.....its like when I officiated basketball in a maximum security prison.....only called two kinds of fouls.....permanent and fatal.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Just to be clear....canceling high school sports breaks my heart. I've been a coach, AD and now league administrator going on 48 years. But people just don't seem to see the complexity of issues......and it is tough when your kids are impacted. I serve on the COVID-19 task force both in our section (like districts in PIAA) and with the state (NYSPHSAA). For me, until the governor removes all restrictions, you get a green light from the Department of Health and students are in school........I just don't see a clear path to interscholastic sports.....If you are in a decision making capacity, your hands are tied. Pray for a vaccine.
I am a high school head coach (basketball) and I don't see any sports except maybe spring unless a vaccine arrives. But that is unlikely for some time. My seniors have so much riding on it to get scholarships. With no off season exposure, they desperately want hs season to happen. I don’t see it happening. At best an abbreviated season after the winter break. We will still get them into college, but it makes it harder on players and college coaches alike.

Reactions: marshall23
I am a high school head coach (basketball) and I don't see any sports except maybe spring unless a vaccine arrives. But that is unlikely for some time. My seniors have so much riding on it to get scholarships. With no off season exposure, they desperately want hs season to happen. I don’t see it happening. At best an abbreviated season after the winter break. We will still get them into college, but it makes it harder on players and college coaches alike.
AAU BB is still going full steam in PA.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

just curious, would you do the chains for free this year if no fans are allowed in? I ask that because I am a HS athletic director and with no fans, we will have no revenue. So, I am thinking about asking our game help to volunteer their services this year. Not sure how they would react.

I am sure the Referrees won’t donate their time. We would be looking at losing approximately 1k on a Friday night home game. And that just the beginning of the losses.

not so fast my friend. In PIAA info they put out, they said schools could compete even if its all virtual. Makes no sense and I am sure some districts would shut down athletics if virtual

Seeing that St Joe Prep has three preseason first team All-Americans, might be best to cancel the season.

Reactions: hlstone
I fully expect the Governor to shut down school buildings across the state in favor of virtual education for the start of the school year.
For how long, I could only guess. Maybe a month. Maybe the first nine weeks. I don’t know how long it will last, but I expect to hear that decision very soon.
That decision will also shut down fall sports and all other extra-curricular activities.
I believe Marshall is spot on. Too many variables and unknowns for school districts to deal with under current circumstances. Now that we’ve reached the end of July with no real consensus on how to deal with this virus, I look for the Governor to pull the trigger on at least a temporary education shutdown.

Reactions: wilbury
not so fast my friend. In PIAA info they put out, they said schools could compete even if its all virtual. Makes no sense and I am sure some districts would shut down athletics if virtual

If we step back and take a look, it becomes pretty clear the PIAA hasn’t made any decisions at all. It’s guidance is basically Play On. Tossed in a couple options for starting dates in an effort to accommodate any school district plans heard to date. And added a couple obvious suggestions about handling tennis balls and assigning volleyball benches, etc.
PIAA was not about to make any decisions that would bring any rath down on the organization, let alone do anything that might bring about the L word — Litigation.
The PIAA is going to let the Governor take all the heat if fall athletics are cancelled. Anyone expecting anything different from the PIAA hasn’t been paying attention to its operating history.

just curious, would you do the chains for free this year if no fans are allowed in? I ask that because I am a HS athletic director and with no fans, we will have no revenue. So, I am thinking about asking our game help to volunteer their services this year. Not sure how they would react.

I am sure the Referrees won’t donate their time. We would be looking at losing approximately 1k on a Friday night home game. And that just the beginning of the losses.
I probably would not work for free. When my kids graduated my bride requested that I stop giving my time to work (which often crossed over as a parent) and spend more time with her. The money is inconsequential, but in terms of my marriage it is not. There is risk being so close to all of the visiting players. I imagine they will keep the box more clear than usual...but still elements of risk. Parents would likely do it for free, but they have an overt conflict too. Even though we teach at KHS, we have become the best chain gang in the county according to the refs. Opposing coaches recognize us, new ones usually watch our spots closely for a quarter or so and lighten up. Tough spot for you. I'd try not to have a parent if you need to go that route. Maybe youth football coaches? Good luck!

I fully expect the Governor to shut down school buildings across the state in favor of virtual education for the start of the school year.
For how long, I could only guess. Maybe a month. Maybe the first nine weeks. I don’t know how long it will last, but I expect to hear that decision very soon.
That decision will also shut down fall sports and all other extra-curricular activities.
I believe Marshall is spot on. Too many variables and unknowns for school districts to deal with under current circumstances. Now that we’ve reached the end of July with no real consensus on how to deal with this virus, I look for the Governor to pull the trigger on at least a temporary education shutdown.

This, Wolf will overrule the PIAA and the local districts who choose to have classes or participate in athletics.

I probably would not work for free. When my kids graduated my bride requested that I stop giving my time to work (which often crossed over as a parent) and spend more time with her. The money is inconsequential, but in terms of my marriage it is not. There is risk being so close to all of the visiting players. I imagine they will keep the box more clear than usual...but still elements of risk. Parents would likely do it for free, but they have an overt conflict too. Even though we teach at KHS, we have become the best chain gang in the county according to the refs. Opposing coaches recognize us, new ones usually watch our spots closely for a quarter or so and lighten up. Tough spot for you. I'd try not to have a parent if you need to go that route. Maybe youth football coaches? Good luck!

yeah. I am not sure what we are going to do. Just an idea I thought of. You make some valid points. Plus, we could be setting a precedent for the future and I do not think that is a good thing.

Being an AD in TN, we are experiencing the same frustrations and let me echo what I believe lionscott said about the complexities around the decision making. All of the high level state leadership who should be making the decisions, are kicking it down to the individual schools (and school leadership are left to be the ones making decisions in an absolute no-win situation). In TN, our governor announced on Tuesday that contact sports were free to move forward immediately, which is mind-boggling given our current state statistics/numbers. Dr. Birx was in Nashville the day before informing us that we are considered one of the "red" states at the federal level (whatever that means, not trying to turn this political) and that we needed to consider phasing back. The Governor's response was, "Thanks, we'll take that into consideration..." and then proceeds to give the green light to contact sports.

Less than 24 hours later, a Metro Davidson County (Nashville) Health Dept. letter was published asking schools to pledge to have no interscholastic competition until at least after Labor Day. WTF is going on? The Governor says one thing, counties are saying another...it's a complete s***show with no leadership.

BTW, if anyone can make the argument of how football can be safely played in this environment, I would be glad to hear it...I haven't heard a valid argument yet.

I can give you our situation...we have been painstakingly planning and creating protocols around having our kids back in school in-person, 5 days/week as well as giving the families the option of choosing virtual learning if they don't feel comfortable in person (I believe we have 24 students so far who will be doing this). We get the burden on parents if the structure is otherwise. People need to have their kids in school both from the standpoint of what is good for the child (mental health and development) and for parents to get back to work. We get it. Our protocols include wearing masks all day, 3 way plexi-glass partitions around desks, social distancing desks in classrooms, disallowing parents on campus during the day, limiting other visitors to what is necessary, meticulously structuring how students move through campus so as to minimize them walking by each other, creating programming/schedule/classes that minimize exposure (keeping small cohorts together), eating lunch in advisory groups, and the list goes on and on.

Then, at 3:30, we throw it all out the window for athletics...they can't wear masks for most sports, certainly can't social distance in sports like soccer and football, we get on buses and travel to interface with other kids from other schools, we have outside groups to our campus for athletic events, we mix grade levels for teams....it's madness! We have one set of protocols for school and then a completely different set that conflicts with almost everything we are doing from 8:00-3:30pm. This is education-based athletics and athletics are one facet of the overall experience at a school. My view is that athletics are co-curricular, an extension of the classroom. How does this approach of conflicting protocols make sense? I can't justify it.

All that to say, I think it's hard for people on the outside to understand how difficult this has all been and continues to be. School leadership are under a tremendous amount of pressure and they really can't win with any decision they make and mix in that high level leadership at the state and federal level is simply punting the hard decisions to wash their hands of it.

WPIAL pushes back the start of Football Season

It will start on September 10th and teams will only play 7 games.

Pittsburgh Schools has a 3Pm meeting today, rumor has it they are going to start online and may opt out of Fall sports. If so I expect a snowball effect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT