ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Meanwhile, the Braves are playing good ball and are up 2 games. The kid Acuna is amazing.

This stretch run looks challenging for the Phillies.

I have a feeling this season will be a bit like 1974. The potential is there, but keeping it up throughout the entire season isn't--yet. Hope the team doesn't fade, but I fear it will. I'm hoping for 82 wins.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Santana out but Bour batting second. Does he know how to put the most productive bats together to get a rally going?

First pitch of the game, Marlins pitcher Urena knocks Acuna out of the game with a 98 mph fastball to the ribs. Haven't heard how badly Acuna is injured or how long he'll be out.

geez, 1st & 3rd, and 1 out, and Nick Williams looked totally overmatched as he strikes out in the bottom of the 7th.

geez, 1st & 3rd, and 1 out, and Nick Williams looked totally overmatched as he strikes out in the bottom of the 7th.

but Ramos picks up for Williams, as he one-hops a shot off the scoreboard in right center for a double, plating 2 runs, to put the Phils up 6-3

Reactions: LundyPSU
then Herrera gets a single, and then Franco follows with a single to plate Ramos. All the runs in the bottom of the 7th scored with 2 outs. Of late, the Phightens have had trouble getting hits in general, let alone getting them with runners on base. Nice job in the 7th inning!

Neshek tried to barehand a ground back at him. His unusual motion had his glove well to the 1st base side, and the ball was hit to the 3rd base side. Still, I hate seeing a pitcher try to barehand anything other than a bunt. Neshek didn't come up with the ball, so the Sox score 1 run. Seranthony is coming in with 2 outs and the bases loaded. Need an out here, and Seranthony gets a bouncer to 1st for the 3rd out!

Phils up 7-4, heading to the bottom of the 8th

Seranthony mows them down 1, 2, 3 in the top of the 9th, and the Phils win 7-4. Nice bounce-back after yesterday's 2 hits.

I believe the Phils ended up splitting their 2 2-game serieses with the Red Sox, going 2-2 in the 4 games.

There were lots of contributors tonight. Ramos looks like a man among boys and he showed why he’s been an all star. Special kudos to the relief pitchers. Neris of all people came in a got a very key out to stop the bleeding when it looked like Boston might run away with things. Kapler did an outstanding job of coaching.

First pitch of the game, Marlins pitcher Urena knocks Acuna out of the game with a 98 mph fastball to the ribs. Haven't heard how badly Acuna is injured or how long he'll be out.
no ribs, right in the left elbow

A number of positives in this win over the Red Sox
  • Team fights back from a loss and an early 3-run deficit vs a very good team
  • Starter only goes 2 1/3, but 7 pitchers out of the bullpen combine for 6 hits and no earned runs the rest of the way
  • Seranthony with another 4-out save
  • The acquired bats are making a difference -- Ramos, Bour, Cabrera -- that's a nice addition of power
The bullpen has become a strong point, and now there are more hitters in the mix. Go Phillies!

Reactions: garw
A number of positives in this win over the Red Sox
  • Team fights back from a loss and an early 3-run deficit vs a very good team
  • Starter only goes 2 1/3, but 7 pitchers out of the bullpen combine for 6 hits and no earned runs the rest of the way
  • Seranthony with another 4-out save
  • The acquired bats are making a difference -- Ramos, Bour, Cabrera -- that's a nice addition of power
The bullpen has become a strong point, and now there are more hitters in the mix. Go Phillies!
...Some other thoughts last night

The play Bour made on the stretch to save the run on the wide throw from Hernandez is a play Santana doesn't make simply because he is much shorter.

Herrara with a productive out and Kingery as well...another thing this team has done very poorly this year. Move runners and get them in with outs

Have to give Santana some credit with a big 2 out pinch hit single

Reactions: royboy
Good call
I know, I love it.

Maybe he and some of the other little league managers on here can switch to their "small ball" horse for a night or two. Never mind how the most successful MLB teams over the past ONE HUNDRED YEARS have been put together. Nah, let's get all nostalgic over that aberration that won a series in the 60s, lmao.

Or maybe we can hear more about Santana not producing because he only is batting .215. NVM the 17 HRs and 67 RBIs he has in 113 games (project that out). His OBP is about 10 points below his career avg, but .215 is where it is at, right???? I would guess Santana himself would admit he's not having the best year, but right now - with time to go for a guy who is generally performs better in the 2nd half - he is only slightly under performing his career stats.

Team was 66-96 last year. It's best position player just finished his 1st year of service in the league and it's top offensive threat over the first half of the season was a rule 5 draftee who was made available for the reasons that we see rear their head every third night or so. 3/5's of the pitching staff is developing. But they are 13 games over .500 and have been in and out of 1st place for the past 3 months. SMFH!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant Green
I know, I love it.

Maybe he and some of the other little league managers on here can switch to their "small ball" horse for a night or two. Never mind how the most successful MLB teams over the past ONE HUNDRED YEARS have been put together. Nah, let's get all nostalgic over that aberration that won a series in the 60s, lmao.

Or maybe we can hear more about Santana not producing because he only is batting .215. NVM the 17 HRs and 67 RBIs he has in 113 games (project that out). His OBP is about 10 points below his career avg, but .215 is where it is at, right???? I would guess Santana himself would admit he's not having the best year, but right now - with time to go for a guy who is generally performs better in the 2nd half - he is only slightly under performing his career stats.

Team was 66-96 last year. It's best position player just finished his 1st year of service in the league and it's top offensive threat over the first half of the season was a rule 5 draftee who was made available for the reasons that we see rear their head every third night or so. 3/5's of the pitching staff is developing. But they are 13 games over .500 and have been in and out of 1st place for the past 3 months. SMFH!!!!!!!

Look at Bours, Cabrera, and Ramos hitting stats and Phils added a ton of bats to the line-up. Pretty impressive actually when you look at what the Phils front office did and what they gave up to get it.

Look at Bours, Cabrera, and Ramos hitting stats and Phils added a ton of bats to the line-up. Pretty impressive actually when you look at what the Phils front office did and what they gave up to get it.

None of their moves were for the elite players that were available, and as such collectively the fans were not all that pleased. That said, the Phils deserve some credit, in that they added some offensive power, and gave up very, very little, in terms of prospects.

The play Bour made on the stretch to save the run on the wide throw from Hernandez is a play Santana doesn't make simply because he is much shorter.

Hard to say. Santana's defense has been better than I expected. And on the flip side, I don't think Santana throws the ball into the center of the back of the Sox's base runner in the 8th inning last night.

Lose by 20 or 1, it's still only equals one loss...coming from a Met fan whose team gave up 25 to the Nats two weeks ago. InteredtinI series..5 gamer..opens with a double header and ends in Williamsport

Just saw highlights of Kingery, LMAO!! Great to see the Eephus pitch back in baseball!

Why was Quinn in there? Based on the box score, it looks like it was still a game when he was brought in

Why was Quinn in there? Based on the box score, it looks like it was still a game when he was brought in

15-4 heading into the 7th is not a game. In a perfect world, the 10 run rule should be applied in these situations.

Reactions: sluggo72
Man, Hoskins crushes one. 3-run job. Near top of LF foul pole. 3-2 good guys. It's hittin weather.

It was a nice response by the Phils, after Eflin had given up 2 runs and had a guy on 2nd on 4 pitches. It's hard to achieve that without giving up a HR, but Eflin had kept the Mets in the yard.

Stats can be funny!

In the first game tonight the Phillies had 4 homers, 4 runs. The Mets had 3 homers, 24 runs.

And I wonder when the last time a team gave up 10 unearned runs in a game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT