ADVERTISEMENT

So where does the 2025 class go from here.....?

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
On the one hand it seems like Franklin has taken some players that aren't rated very high by the "experts".

On the other hand it seems like a great sign when Franklin gets commits early like he has, from the players he has identified as takes early in the process. So it looks like a nice start to the class

But unless a good many of the current commits go to camps and get significant bumps up in ratings there's no way this class can finish top 10 in ratings by the "experts". Franklin would have to finish off the class off with 12-13 mid 4-star to high 4-star players to end up with a top 5 to top 8 class, so it's likely that some here will cry about the class no matter how the rest of the class fills in. The 12 current commits seem like a great start, but one that will draw some criticism from the cryers.

What about filling position priorities. The strength of the class seems to be the 3 LB's so far, a position where PSU already has nice young talent from the 2024 class and where the new DC may not play a 3rd LB too much. And the 3 OL recruits including O'Hara also seem to be a strength. Two RB commits but the staff reportedly would bring in a 3rd if he was too good to pass up. Not even a start on a DL class.

What's everyone think?

So it would seem that going forward the priorities are 3-5 DL with a priority on a couple top pass rushers as a good portion of the 2024 DL class seems lke it will end up at DT. 2-4 additional DB's as well on defense.

On offense I like that Hagans got a WR with size and good speed to start the class, and it would seem that PSU will take at least 2 more WR's, and possibly 3 more, hopefully with a couple more with some size. 2 or 3 more olinemen as well, hopefully with an OT that is closer to playing than what the couple OT recruits in the class seem to be. 1 or more likely 2 TE's given that there was only 1 in the 2024 class an there may be attrition from the roster after things shake out going into the next season. And the staff wants another QB, hopefully the PA kid Zollers.

On the one hand it seems like Franklin has taken some players that aren't rated very high by the "experts".

On the other hand it seems like a great sign when Franklin gets commits early like he has, from the players he has identified as takes early in the process. So it looks like a nice start to the class

But unless a good many of the current commits go to camps and get significant bumps up in ratings there's no way this class can finish top 10 in ratings by the "experts". Franklin would have to finish off the class off with 12-13 mid 4-star to high 4-star players to end up with a top 5 to top 8 class, so it's likely that some here will cry about the class no matter how the rest of the class fills in. The 12 current commits seem like a great start, but one that will draw some criticism from the cryers.

What about filling position priorities. The strength of the class seems to be the 3 LB's so far, a position where PSU already has nice young talent from the 2024 class and where the new DC may not play a 3rd LB too much. And the 3 OL recruits including O'Hara also seem to be a strength. Two RB commits but the staff reportedly would bring in a 3rd if he was too good to pass up. Not even a start on a DL class.

What's everyone think?

So it would seem that going forward the priorities are 3-5 DL with a priority on a couple top pass rushers as a good portion of the 2024 DL class seems lke it will end up at DT. 2-4 additional DB's as well on defense.

On offense I like that Hagans got a WR with size and good speed to start the class, and it would seem that PSU will take at least 2 more WR's, and possibly 3 more, hopefully with a couple more with some size. 2 or 3 more olinemen as well, hopefully with an OT that is closer to playing than what the couple OT recruits in the class seem to be. 1 or more likely 2 TE's given that there was only 1 in the 2024 class an there may be attrition from the roster after things shake out going into the next season. And the staff wants another QB, hopefully the PA kid Zollers.
CJFs staff had been great at getting in on kids early. And with the portal, you can fill in holes later.

CJFs staff had been great at getting in on kids early. And with the portal, you can fill in holes later.
Yep, but I still believe Franklin wants a class that complements and balances the roster from a position basis and only resorts to the portal to fill holes in talent where positions don't develop as the staff would have liked. So in looking at the roster, which positions that might be weak even though the position has numbers (WR for example), and who's committed so far we should be able see what priorities the staff likely has.

College football staffs probably do make decisions in some classes to take more players at a position than they might need if the talent at another position is more available to them. I was playing golf in a charity outing some years ago with Wanndstedt the coach at Pitt back then and during the round he took a call from a LB recruit who committed to him on that call. It was a 5 man scramble so the rest of us took his turns as they came up, as he was on the phone for a while. After the call he told us that he only wanted 2 LB recruits in that class, already had one, and were convinced that they would get a 4 star legacy recruit but didn't pass up the player that called as they rated him the best LB prospect in PA that class. Interesting, but Dave got fired after that season and that LB decommitted from Pitt and signed with PSU. Just an example of how coaches try and build their rosters the best the can. Oh, and that legacy LB they thought they would get I believe signed with Bama. But that how it worked at Pitt back then.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
Just my observation, but looks like PSU recruiting is currently in good shape for 2025 and getting a jump on 2026 and beyond. And I credit this to the leadership and executive skills of James Franklin. Plus the financial resources, fan support, assistant coach recruiting, and other administrative personnel that Penn State is able to provide. The offers and visits are rolling.

Franklin has taken steps to "move the chains" and not get behind. He got a good, not great, 2024 class and was able to identify portal needs and move on those select areas. He got a good jump on the 2025 class, prioritized in-state kids, and got some early commitments.

My crystal ball for what it's worth forecasts a very good 2025 class (ranking in some top 10 lists though the gurus don't know it all) and continued early success with the 2026 class.

You must be kidding. Recruiting is going downhill due to the incompetence of the head coach.

I think Franklin and staff have settled into a default recruiting rating of 10-15 annually.

For it to get higher than 10, I think we’ll have to beat OSU or win the conference. Maybe a win or two in the playoffs as well. Other than that, I think some luck with regional talent in a given year (Singleton/DDS/Cousins) or a couple late bloomers are already on the commit list (Allar/Reynolds).

We will end up in the twenties this year for recruiting and of course all you Franklin lovers will say he had another great recruiting year and he’s one of the best at finding players, what a bunch of garbage

I think Franklin and staff have settled into a default recruiting rating of 10-15 annually.

For it to get higher than 10, I think we’ll have to beat OSU or win the conference. Maybe a win or two in the playoffs as well. Other than that, I think some luck with regional talent in a given year (Singleton/DDS/Cousins) or a couple late bloomers are already on the commit list (Allar/Reynolds).
Don’t forget what truly moves recruiting and portal acquisitions - NIL. The almighty dollar is all that matters. If Rutgers had deeper pockets they would out recruit us these days, regardless of history.

Franklin twice had the No 6 ranked recruiting classes during his tenure.

Right now, the 4 recruiting sites (Rivals, 247, ON3, and ESPN) indicate we've got commitments from about 5 or 6 four stars out of our 12 commits. It's early but we've got to do better. One thing to consider is that on all 4 sites, there are 9 commits overall who are rated four star on at least 1 site. Also consider that there are guys who can get upgraded later on after attending camps.

I think Rivals has us rated around 6th overall at this point but that ranking is irrelevant because that is because we have so many commits early. If others had that many commits, they'd blow past us because they'd have a higher average recruit rating.

Things can change.....I remain, as always, optimistic.

Reactions: 81b&w
Franklin twice had the No 6 ranked recruiting classes during his tenure.
You’re actually proving my point. Read my post again.

When did he snag those classes? The year after beating OSU and winning the BIG and the other when regional talent was up (Singleton, DDS) and we identified a 5-star QB early in the process before his rating shot up.

Under normal circumstances, we’re a 10-20 type of recruiting program.

Reactions: ftlpsu
You’re actually proving my point. Read my post again.

When did he snag those classes? The year after beating OSU and winning the BIG and the other when regional talent was up (Singleton, DDS) and we identified a 5-star QB early in the process before his rating shot up.

Under normal circumstances, we’re a 10-20 type of recruiting program.

Didnt you want the staff to spend more time coaching and less time recruiting?

What's everyone think?

JFs recruiting has never been the part of the job that is concerning.

Before N$L being outside the Top 10 pretty much doomed you from not making the Playoff. Now a Top 20 gets you in the mix- and with some good luck with under-rated players, some regional luck, and plug-ins from the portal you have a chance. The Top Dogs are still the favorites but maybe the new format opens it up for TCU-like upsets.

Programs need to stick with their identities. When they change too much looking for the golden rings they can fall off. KC Keeler seemed to be a Delaware lifer. Played on a Championship team there, coached one too. Started bringing in guys from Georgia,Florida and the Kansas Jr. Colleges. These guys had no idea if Delaware was even a state- much less finding it on a map. The predictable revolving door of transfers/ drop outs and police blog embarrassments followed.

I was sitting next to his wife when they got spanked by Villanova and some blowhards started yelling towards her "Fire Keeler!" I never thought that was possible. UD did.

As long as Franklin keeps our brand viable, the locker room and graduation rate solid, and gets us into the new Playoff 3+times in 5years he will be our coach.

I scream at the tv as much as anybody else, and James is the reason that I cannot get any of my Alumni buddies to partner on Season Tix this year, but it is what it is. The new format and Portal will reward what used to be mediocrity to most posters.

Hoping we step up- and some of our 5 stars deliver. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yes gaps in a top 20 class can be filled by the portal. But unfortunately, the portal winners now are the top 10 teams that buy Power 5 team captains and all-SEC or Big 10 players off of the rosters of the top 15 to top 40 teams.
Yeah it's not like the middle tier teams are getting the coveted portal guys. They all go to the elite teams for the most part. With it all being about money and the student athlete is no longer when it comes to football then the portal should be like the NFL draft. Worst Power 4 school gets the #1 pick and work your way up. Would never happen for a multitude of reasons but I like the concept as as a way of trying to even things out somewhat. Hurts Penn State more than it helps. It does help out the have nots of college football and prevents the Ohio States from buying every 5 star and high 4 star portal guy.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Before N$L being outside the Top 10 pretty much doomed you from not making the Playoff. Now a Top 20 gets you in the mix- and with some good luck with under-rated players, some regional luck, and plug-ins from the portal you have a chance. The Top Dogs are still the favorites but maybe the new format opens it up for TCU-like upsets.

Programs need to stick with their identities. When they change too much looking for the golden rings they can fall off. KC Keeler seemed to be a Delaware lifer. Played on a Championship team there, coached one too. Started bringing in guys from Georgia,Florida and the Kansas Jr. Colleges. These guys had no idea if Delaware was even a state- much less finding it on a map. The predictable revolving door of transfers/ drop outs and police blog embarrassments followed.

I was sitting next to his wife when they got spanked by Villanova and some blowhards started yelling towards her "Fire Keeler!" I never thought that was possible. UD did.

As long as Franklin keeps our brand viable, the locker room and graduation rate solid, and gets us into the new Playoff 3+times in 5years he will be our coach.

I scream at the tv as much as anybody else, and James is the reason that I cannot get any of my Alumni buddies to partner on Season Tix this year, but it is what it is. The new format and Portal will reward what used to be mediocrity to most posters.

Hoping we step up- and some of our 5 stars deliver. I'm cautiously optimistic.
PSU would've been in a 12-team playoff in 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022 and 2023. So that's five out of the last eight seasons, and one of the seasons in which PSU would not have made it was the ridiculous 2020 season. I can live with 5 to 6 playoff appearances out of every 8 seasons, which Franklin has shown that he can accomplish. Also, maybe it's too late in his career for this to happen, but I am hopeful that Franklin continues to improve as a head coach, which might enable PSU to be almost an annual playoff team.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT