ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Going to be a great seven weeks with so many teams still in the hunt. Half the league is probably within 5-6 losses. The other sports don’t have what baseball has, a standings and scoreboard watch on a daily basis where things can change on an hourly basis. The fact that baseball plays every day and that playoff spots are still somewhat limited make baseball great in this respect. For old timers, the AL race in 1967 was tremendous as was the NL race in 1964. More recent vintage, the Braves Giants race back a ways was great theater as well. Going to be a great finish.
Phillies/ Mets 2007

Reactions: bmw199
Great to see the team playing well. Just returned from the PNW and thanks to the regulars on the board for updates. I did get the see the win in Boston via ESPiN.

Gabe must have real confidence in the bullpen taking out Hoskins and Cabrera for defense in a 2-0 game.

Phils get 1sf & 3rd (off an infield single by Herrera, and a single to CF by Franco) to start the top of the 9th. Then Alafaro strikes out on 3 pitches (take, then 2 misses) and then Knapp PHs for Arietta, and hits into a DP to end the inning. Ugh.

Nice job by Arietta to hold the DBs scoreless thru 8. Need the bullpen to finish the game.

Knapp is just brutal. No one else to hit there? Like I said, tie game now and no Hoskins or Cabrera in the lineup going forward. Arietta is probably having a meltdown.

Nice job by Arietta to hold the DBs scoreless thru 8. Need the bullpen to finish the game.

So much for that. Seranthony gets an out, then gives up HR, double (on 3-2), then single (on 3-2), so it's tied up 2 - 2 in the bottom of the 9th.

Terrible 9th inning all around. Hopefully the Phillies can win it in the 10th because I am not staying up much later.

Garcia relieves Seranthony, and gets an out. Then after a strike he throws 4 straight balls for a walk, so 1st & 2nd. Those guys execute a double steal while Garcia throws 4 straight balls (8 overall) to load the bases.

Phils get out of that mess, so extra innings. The Phils let the DBacks right back into the game

I’m starting to think Quinn as a D replacement for Rhys is the wrong guy to be subbing for defensively. Absolutely horrible read by Herrera.

I’m starting to think Quinn as a D replacement for Rhys is the wrong guy to be subbing for defensively. Absolutely horrible read by Herrera.

You would rather have Hoskins in the outfield over Herrera?

You would rather have Hoskins in the outfield over Herrera?

Frankly, I would rather Quinn play over Herrara on a normal go forward basis....Oduble just takes too many plays off, miss reads balls, has no arm, Makes up his mind to take or swing prior to a pitch being thrown.....He has talent at the plate when he wants to, but he's just too inconsistent and if Quinn can stay healthy is just a better option, IMO.

Frankly, I would rather Quinn play over Herrara on a normal go forward basis....Oduble just takes too many plays off, miss reads balls, has no arm, Makes up his mind to take or swing prior to a pitch being thrown.....He has talent at the plate when he wants to, but he's just too inconsistent and if Quinn can stay healthy is just a better option, IMO.

For every great clip of Herrera making a catch you can see a clip of say him misjudging a routine fly ball and it turning into a in the park grand slam.

Tough start to the loup era so far but the rest of the pen picked him up tonight. Good win.
Yeah, there are concerns with the bullpen, but overall improved over the last couple months.

One who got away (and it's a good thing) -- Ken Giles
He's with Toronto, still young at 27, but is getting lit up -- 4 hits and 5 runs in 2/3 of an inning last night vs RedSox
For the year -- 0-3 W/L and ERA of 6.21

Yeah, there are concerns with the bullpen, but overall improved over the last couple months.

One who got away (and it's a good thing) -- Ken Giles
He's with Toronto, still young at 27, but is getting lit up -- 4 hits and 5 runs in 2/3 of an inning last night vs RedSox
For the year -- 0-3 W/L and ERA of 6.21
It would seem like the yips got him

Phillies prospect Mickey Moniak is beginning to turn a corner
By Corey Seidman | NBC Sports Philadelphia August 08, 2018 3:52 PM

Mickey Moniak is beginning to turn a corner.

The No. 1 overall pick in 2016, Moniak is in the midst of his most productive stretch as a pro.

Driving the ball has been an issue for Moniak, who's still 20 years old and hasn't yet fully bulked up or grown into his frame. But over these last 24 games and 104 plate appearances, Moniak has hit .303/.365/.517 with 11 doubles, a triple and two homers. Ten of those 14 extra-base hits have come in his last 16 games.

On Wednesday, Moniak received an honor not for his offense but for his defense. He was named Phillies Minor League Defender of the Month (Dylan Cozens was named Hitter of the Month).

Moniak has made 90 starts in the outfield (79 in center) this season without committing an error. He also has five outfield assists, four from center and one from left field.

Overall this season, Moniak has hit .256/.289/.365 in 94 games with High-A Clearwater. He has just 10 home runs in nearly 1,100 plate appearances as a pro.

The needle is starting to move, though.

Interesting. Phils just picked up Justin Bour for a minor league pitcher. His 2018 numbers aren't much different than Santana, but I haven't checked their splits. Not sure if the Phils are intending to platoon them? Who gets sent down?

Interesting. Phils just picked up Justin Bour for a minor league pitcher. His 2018 numbers aren't much different than Santana, but I haven't checked their splits. Not sure if the Phils are intending to platoon them? Who gets sent down?
Well he hit a couple g=homers at CBP last weekend.....definitely has big power. Santana has been a HUGE disappointment...not sure why he keeps hitting 4th

McKenzie Mills, a lefty in A ball for the Phils, is the player th le Fish are getting for Bour. To make room for Bour, the Phils designated for assignment pitcher Jake Thompson.

The Phils also activated JP Crawford.

Watching the Nats implode in Chicago. Is Harper a realistic FA signing? Have no idea, but he needs a change of scenery. That franchise will never get over the hump. I would think he'd easily hit 40 at CBP.

Guess this means a platoon at 1B. Not a great sign given that Santana was the big FA signing. Thankfully not a long term deal. And Phils mgmt willing to acknowledge the struggles.

EDIT: Sounds like Kapler wants Bour to be a LH bat off the bench.

Last edited:
Waste another good start by Efflin. This offense is maddening in its inconsistenty
Yeah, in NL stats of 15 teams, 6th in HRs, 3rd in Walks drawn, but 14th in batting average, and 14th in strike outs by hitters.

Part of the analytics strategy, but would be nice to get more hits.

Tough to see these young guys making their first or second MLB appearances just cementing a big lid over the offense. Had 2 on nobody out at least twice and no production. I understand they haven't had looks at some of these pitchers but again, you had a kid with a changeup that had them out of synch all night. Everybody looking for the big fly.

Somebody sent me this link this morning... Take it however you like, just one ex-player's opinion among many others. I don't have my mind completely made up but I realize that baseball is a game of failure. I get it, and I understand there are many strategic philosophies which is what makes it fun but when all is said and done you don't win without players. There are gaping holes up and down the lineup, too many to slap a coat of cheap paint over.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-super-nerds-are-killing-baseball-its-a-joke

Tough to see these young guys making their first or second MLB appearances just cementing a big lid over the offense. Had 2 on nobody out at least twice and no production. I understand they haven't had looks at some of these pitchers but again, you had a kid with a changeup that had them out of synch all night. Everybody looking for the big fly.

Somebody sent me this link this morning... Take it however you like, just one ex-player's opinion among many others. I don't have my mind completely made up but I realize that baseball is a game of failure. I get it, and I understand there are many strategic philosophies which is what makes it fun but when all is said and done you don't win without players. There are gaping holes up and down the lineup, too many to slap a coat of cheap paint over.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-super-nerds-are-killing-baseball-its-a-joke

A lot of discussion on this given some situational play recently, most notably first and second with no outs and no bunt. The thinking is that bunting burns an out and the Phillies failure to make contact and strike out a lot makes your chances of scoring limited with this group even with advanced runners. They have scored a disproportionate percentage of their runs via the long ball since a point in time relative to the rest of the NL. Tough way to play when you can’t manufacture a run here and there. Given the Phils strikeout rate, it changes the way defenses play as well with regards to playing in, etc. If they get in the post season and face the best pitching, it won’t be easy for them if they are not hitting dingers. This isn’t confined to just them, but it’s magnified with them certainly.

Reactions: royboy

Prefer small ball? Like the Running Redbirds from the mid-80's. Coleman, Herr, McGee, Pendleton, Jack Clark, etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT