ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Prefer small ball? Like the Running Redbirds from the mid-80's. Coleman, Herr, McGee, Pendleton, Jack Clark, etc

I respected those teams, they were very hard to beat.

I can appreciate small ball, like in the amateur levels. I take MLB for what it is, just don't like seeing the ability to play situational baseball go by the wayside. I like guys who get on, who can bunt, I enjoy the stolen base aspects. These things used to be fundamental. They're still taught in HS then it appears it's all forgotten about as players move up. Home runs are fine but when you're getting a good outing from your starter and you're down 1-0 or 2-0 late and you look at all the LOBs, it emphasizes your weaknesses in getting guys over and in. Playing for a run certainly still has its place.

I can appreciate small ball, like in the amateur levels. I take MLB for what it is, just don't like seeing the ability to play situational baseball go by the wayside. I like guys who get on, who can bunt, I enjoy the stolen base aspects. These things used to be fundamental. They're still taught in HS then it appears it's all forgotten about as players move up. Home runs are fine but when you're getting a good outing from your starter and you're down 1-0 or 2-0 late and you look at all the LOBs, it emphasizes your weaknesses in getting guys over and in. Playing for a run certainly still has its place.
Completely agree with you

McKenzie Mills, a lefty in A ball for the Phils, is the player th le Fish are getting for Bour. To make room for Bour, the Phils designated for assignment pitcher Jake Thompson.

The Phils also activated JP Crawford.
Guess the supposed biggest piece of the Hamels trade is a bust and now on his way out of Philly. Thompson was the big name if I remember correctly along with Alfaro and Williams that were pretty high;y regarded as well and they certainly look like they will stick around for a while and then Eikoff was also included and he was pretty good last year if he can beat the injury bug that looks like a pretty good trade overall.

I agree and I love that part of the game and with the way our pitchers are throwing and keeping runs at a minimum a run here or their can win a game.

Phillies prospect Mickey Moniak is beginning to turn a corner
By Corey Seidman | NBC Sports Philadelphia August 08, 2018 3:52 PM

Mickey Moniak is beginning to turn a corner.

The No. 1 overall pick in 2016, Moniak is in the midst of his most productive stretch as a pro.

Driving the ball has been an issue for Moniak, who's still 20 years old and hasn't yet fully bulked up or grown into his frame. But over these last 24 games and 104 plate appearances, Moniak has hit .303/.365/.517 with 11 doubles, a triple and two homers. Ten of those 14 extra-base hits have come in his last 16 games.

On Wednesday, Moniak received an honor not for his offense but for his defense. He was named Phillies Minor League Defender of the Month (Dylan Cozens was named Hitter of the Month).

Moniak has made 90 starts in the outfield (79 in center) this season without committing an error. He also has five outfield assists, four from center and one from left field.

Overall this season, Moniak has hit .256/.289/.365 in 94 games with High-A Clearwater. He has just 10 home runs in nearly 1,100 plate appearances as a pro.

The needle is starting to move, though.
Just wish Harry was still around--he would have loved saying that name.....

This was easily the downfall of Ryan Howard..the inability to adjust to that shift and hit opposite field.

This was easily the downfall of Ryan Howard..the inability to adjust to that shift and hit opposite field.
I was always puzzled by that, as early in his career, he hit a lot of balls to the opposite field for homers--and he thus hit for average. I've always thought the slide began when he participated in the All Star Game Home Run Derby, where he pulled everything.

Oddly enough there's another Ryan Howard (no relation) in baseball currently playing shortstop for Richmond in AA.

.500 team, for what, last 2 months. Don’t remember a Phillies team with this much pitching and so little offense.

I was always puzzled by that, as early in his career, he hit a lot of balls to the opposite field for homers--and he thus hit for average. I've always thought the slide began when he participated in the All Star Game Home Run Derby, where he pulled everything.

Oddly enough there's another Ryan Howard (no relation) in baseball currently playing shortstop for Richmond in AA.

It’s interesting to read what Williams thought about the shift, what his once good buddy Ty Cobb felt about the shift, and the approach Williams eventually took re: the shift. The shift these guys face today is also a bit watered down to what Boudreau initially employed against Williams.

Just so people don’t have to google it and waste time, Williams initially had no interest and thought he could just drive the ball through the shift. Cobb who was close to Williams for many years told Williams to hit the ball the other way if they were going to shift on him. I think Williams eventually changed not on Cobbs advice but on Waners advice. He didn’t try to inside out his swing, chop at it, etc. Instead, Williams changed his foot placement relative to the plate just a couple of inches so his swing more naturally favored hitting the other way. I’m working off memory here, but I think that was his approach against the shift. Hall of Fame player manager Lou Boudreau designed the shift and had every player but one on the second base side of the bag. I think he had one OF’er on the SS side of the bag so it was really pronounced initially. Again, working off memory here. You can google it and correct me if my recollection is bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Abreu was another one who was ruined by the HR Derby. He could hit for power but he wasn't known as this great HR hitter. Then he goes out and destroys the HR Derby. Set a (then-) record I believe. Coming off a year (2004) where he hit 30 HR, Abreu had 18 at the AS break in 2005. He finished the year with 24. Next year, 15. Coincidence? I don't know but I'd be fine with anybody sitting out the HRD who didn't want to participate.

Abreu was another one who was ruined by the HR Derby. He could hit for power but he wasn't known as this great HR hitter. Then he goes out and destroys the HR Derby. Set a (then-) record I believe. Coming off a year (2004) where he hit 30 HR, Abreu had 18 at the AS break in 2005. He finished the year with 24. Next year, 15. Coincidence? I don't know but I'd be fine with anybody sitting out the HRD who didn't want to participate.

It’s interesting but watching the Utley curtain call in Philly, the thing that resonated most with me is how radical the approach to the hitting game has changed. Same with listening to Schmidt on the home weekend broadcasts. These guys probably don’t recognize today’s thought process. These guys were all developed with the classic hitting down through the ball. The Derby seemed to be more in conflict with that approach. Now with everything focused on launch angle, I think Derby participation is closer to the swing that people are taught today.

If you know how most of these guys approach BP, they normally take certain swings for each portion of the field. For say righties, X swings designed to hit the ball to the right side, x swings to drive the ball up the middle, and x swings to hit to a more natural pull side. In the Derby, I think these guys obviously attempt to pull everything. That might be of more concern, but these guys normally focus on hitting to all fields in BP each day every day.

My gut says that 4 mins swinging in the Derby shouldn’t impact these guys much these days but I’d be interested in what current guys say now. It’s always been an undercurrent though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

JP didn't do a lot to help his cause in the early part of the season, and then he got injured. That said, both JP and Kingery had options available. You can make a case that Kingery should have been optioned. JP is the better defender, and since Cabrera was obtained he's gotten most of the time at SS. Kingery could have used a few weeks in AAA to get his swing back.

Probably not a big deal either way.

JP didn't do a lot to help his cause in the early part of the season, and then he got injured. That said, both JP and Kingery had options available. You can make a case that Kingery should have been optioned. JP is the better defender, and since Cabrera was obtained he's gotten most of the time at SS. Kingery could have used a few weeks in AAA to get his swing back.

Probably not a big deal either way.
Neris looked good in AAA when I saw him last month. But AAA isn't the bigs.

In an earlier transaction, I was surprised to see the Phillies send Zach Eflin to Lehigh Valley.

With 16 starts, he had an 8-4 record and an ERA of 3.57.

Hunter Back to serving up batting practice fastballs. Homer and double in 1/3 of an inning

Hunter Back to serving up batting practice fastballs. Homer and double in 1/3 of an inning

The HR was on a cutter that wasn't inside enough. Pretty frustrating to watch a reliever give up a HR to a pinch hitter in the top of the 8th.

I know this team has greatly exceeded expectations up until this point, but this has become unbearable to watch.

I don't follow. They played the best team in MLB to a 1-1 through 7. Yeah, the Phils strikeout too often, and that's been a problem tonight as well, but I think it's been a good game to watch.

Cabrera strikes out on an inside slider. The ball got away from the catcher, but Cabrera was a tad too slow getting out of the back/down the line, and got thrown out at 1st to end the game.

Red Sox takes the 1st game of the series, 2-1.

The HR was on a cutter that wasn't inside enough. Pretty frustrating to watch a reliever give up a HR to a pinch hitter in the top of the 8th.

I don't follow. They played the best team in MLB to a 1-1 through 7. Yeah, the Phils strikeout too often, and that's been a problem tonight as well, but I think it's been a good game to watch.

2 hits

In an earlier transaction, I was surprised to see the Phillies send Zach Eflin to Lehigh Valley.

It was a temporary move for roster relief, from what the Inky said.

Reactions: royboy
Not a fan of swing for the fences or strikeout baseball. Bowa called out Pederson of the Dodgers for that mentality. Play small ball get on base, if defense is going to shift lay down a bunt. Do what you have to do to win.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Not a fan of swing for the fences or strikeout baseball. Bowa called out Pederson of the Dodgers for that mentality. Play small ball get on base, if defense is going to shift lay down a bunt. Do what you have to do to win.
giphy.gif

Bring it back...bring it back

Just my opinion, but I think the main reason for Abreu’s decline in numbers was MLB’s crackdown on PED’s.

This was purely an opportunity due the schedule to maximize roster flexibility this week, Due to some obscure rules and the fact the Phils have a doubleheader Thursday their was a loop hoe to the 10-day assignment. On days a team has a scheduled DH the roster expands to26 players for the day...so Eflin will be the 26th player that day and then return to LHV to complete his 10day assignment and return next week to make his regular start. He will not miss any of his normally scheduled starts. The only downside is for Eflin himself who will lose 10 days of MLB salary.

Reactions: royboy
I am just so tired of watching Santana just plain stink! Gabe finally moved him out of the 4 hole to 5....but he needs to go to the bench and play Boir a couple games as it certainly can't get any worse than this guy constantly striking out or weakly grounding out in every big situation! Him in the middle of the lineup is killing this team as they lack offense overall, but if they do get anything going he will come up and be an automatic out.

I would like to see Quinn play more over Herrara as well...he is absolutely infuriating watch play. Misreads balls, constantly takes pitches off....its like he decides before the pitch I'm swinging or not and it doesn't matter where the pitch is at that particular time as he already made up his mind.

The AB's most of these guys take are very poor, no situational awareness, no moving runners...its just wait for the HR! I am very much enjoying watching the starting pitchers pitch so well, but to get this level of offense in support is just frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT