ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Stats can be funny!

In the first game tonight the Phillies had 4 homers, 4 runs. The Mets had 3 homers, 24 runs.

And I wonder when the last time a team gave up 10 unearned runs in a game?

4 errors can cause a lot of damage. Hoskins error was something you would be surprised to see in Little League.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
4 errors can cause a lot of damage. Hoskins error was something you would be surprised to see in Little League.
Tom, I'm confused. I thought the Phillies scored two safeties and the Mets scored three TD's and a Field Goal. Did I miss something? Wink. That had to be a tough game to watch as a Philly phan. My SIL is a big Philly phan and is raising my grandchildren in that tradition.

Tom, I'm confused. I thought the Phillies scored two safeties and the Mets scored three TD's and a Field Goal. Did I miss something? Wink. That had to be a tough game to watch as a Philly phan. My SIL is a big Philly phan and is raising my grandchildren in that tradition.

I don't think the 1st game of the doubleheader was on TV, though I could be mistaken. I had other things on my schedule, so I didn't get to check. I saw the highlights/lowlights/errors on the pregame show for the 2nd game.

Sounds as though you have a top-notch SIL, who is doing a great job of raising his kids/your grandkids. ;)

And the Braves, who have been red-hot lately, finally lost a game

So the Phils collect a half game on them. I think at the peak of the Phils' division lead which they had for most of the summer the best they managed was 2.5 up. Now 1.5 down but I think the immediate win after that asskicking is going to help them mentally. Kruk said so after the game too. It's crazy how fast you can find yourself looking up instead of down. Not going to crack on them after getting this split. That was pretty clutch, especially the way the 2nd game started.

Reactions: Grant Green
The Braves have an interesting schedule in September:

9/1 - /2 - last games of a home series with the Pirates
9/3 - /5 - 3 game home series with the Red Sox
9/6 - /9 - 4 game away series with the Diamondbacks
9/10 - /12 - 3 game away series with the Giants
9/14 - /16 - 3 game home series with the Nationals
9/17 - /19 - 3 game home series with the Cardinals
9/20 - /23 - 4 game home series with the Phillies
9/25 - /27 - 3 game away series with the Mets
9/28 - 9/30 - 3 game away series with the Phils

The Red Sox and Giants series should be interesting. The Nationals series could be interesting. The Cardinals and the Mets have underperformed this season -- hard to guess how they'll be playing in Sep. 7 of the Braves' finals games are against the Phillies.

I don't think the 1st game of the doubleheader was on TV, though I could be mistaken. I had other things on my schedule, so I didn't get to check. I saw the highlights/lowlights/errors on the pregame show for the 2nd game.

Sounds as though you have a top-notch SIL, who is doing a great job of raising his kids/your grandkids. ;)
The kid is OK, he's the only one I have and ever want to have so I'm stuck with him. He is to the point of obsessive over the Phillies and other Philly sports teams. He picked the location their home due to its ability to receive Philly oriented sports programming. I don't know how much that would have impacted me considering other factors e.g. resale, taxes, schools, etc. but that's his thing. Anyway, we don't get to see them that often and he is a good PSU football fan. So I got that going for me....

9/1 - /2 - last games of a home series with the Pirates
9/3 - /5 - 3 game home series with the Red Sox
9/6 - /9 - 4 game away series with the Diamondbacks
9/10 - /12 - 3 game away series with the Giants
9/14 - /16 - 3 game home series with the Nationals
9/17 - /19 - 3 game home series with the Cardinals

The Red Sox and Giants series should be interesting. The Nationals series could be interesting. The Cardinals and the Mets have underperformed this season -- hard to guess how they'll be playing in Sep. 7 of the Braves' finals games are against the Phillies.
Could be a crazy end to September.

It was on Facebook Live. I watched an inning and saw Williams HR.

First time all summer I put WIP on this morning and they were ripping Kapler to no end. It went on forever. I take it they have been doing this all season?

Same went for Charlie and Doug, but soon as they win a championship, let's give them keys to the city. Another reminder why I don't listen to those wind bags.

First time all summer I put WIP on this morning and they were ripping Kapler to no end. It went on forever. I take it they have been doing this all season?

Same went for Charlie and Doug, but soon as they win a championship, let's give them keys to the city. Another reminder why I don't listen to those wind bags.
The collective IQ’s of everyone at WIP is less than my dog - you have to be a sadist to listen to those morons.

The MLB schedule makers pulled an unexpected rabbit out of their hat. Prior to the season nobody could have expected those Phillies/Braves series at the end of the season would be between the two division leaders. Of course there's still time for the Nats to make a run but they've been flatter than flat lately. It'll be an interesting final 11 days of the season with the Phils hopefully getting hot at the right time.

Regarding the Nats, all season everyone has expected them to make a run due to the talent on their roster. During early season Phillies games even the Phils announcers all seemed resigned to the Nats catching fire.

Last edited:

I hope they have someone that has flown into that airport before. It's not exactly BWI.

Couple of things from this Phillies fan:
-Do not understand the Kapler hate. Guy is trying to make the team better, e.g. sending Altherr down, getting slumping Santana, Kingery & Herrera out of the lineup, juggling the bullpen to get matchups, etc. If you had offered us 81 wins back in March, we’d have jumped on that like white on rice, no?
-That said, Phillies lead the Major Leagues in errors. As Kruk might say, that don’t sound like a playoff team. This team looks like the ‘07 team, a year away. Gotta go all-in on Machado this winter....

Plane is on the ground safely. Biggest I've seen come in there! Must've put some plywood down at the end of the runway.

-Do not understand the Kapler hate. Guy is trying to make the team better, e.g. sending Altherr down, getting slumping Santana, Kingery & Herrera out of the lineup, juggling the bullpen to get matchups, etc. If you had offered us 81 wins back in March, we’d have jumped on that like white on rice, no?
-That said, Phillies lead the Major Leagues in errors. As Kruk might say, that don’t sound like a playoff team. This team looks like the ‘07 team, a year away. Gotta go all-in on Machado this winter....
He played Santana over Baur... a guy they got specifically for moments like yesterday (8-21 against deGrom, and he gets xbase hits on this guy). His rationale was he wanted better defense when going up against a guy who has been lights-out all season... and where production on the O side might be the primary objective.

BTW, Kingery started.

All season long he has been slow on the draw to get people out of there and/or make moves in the lineup that are obvious to everyone. When he finally does, his supporters trumpet the change as something special.

He constantly defies one of the basic tenets of baseball... bringing a RHP out of the pen to pitch to a lefty (or vice versa). While there are exceptions to all rules (some guys just hit or pitch better to same siders), the stats are overwhelmingly against that move. He doesn't do it just once, he does it all the time. For an analytical guy, much of what he does doesn't make much sense.

I said this in the first week... I hope we win and i hope he turns out to be a good manager.. but this is a reasonably talented team (especially now with the new additions and pitching doing a solid job), so please just get out of the way and let the guys play. Manage the dugout and the clubhouse, make basic decisions and let 'em go.

To his credit, we are winning and nobody wants to criticize that.. but we've left a lot of wins on the table that would be nice to have right now. From my pov, this is OJT for Kapler and i want to see progress. If you measure it solely by wins, then he is doing great. I don't, so for me the jury is out... but he has a long leash so long as he keeps getting results.

Howard Eskin can't stand Kapler. The last manager he hated this much was Charlie Manuel, pre world series win.

Washington drops 2 of 3 at home to the Fish.

Braves get swept at home by Colorado.

A chance tonight for the Phils to take the long series against the Mets and regain first place in the division. A very important game, IMO.

Reactions: Grant Green
A chance tonight for the Phils to take the long series against the Mets and regain first place in the division. A very important game, IMO.

For whatever reason, the Phils seem to have more trouble with the Mets than do other NL teams.

Mets are up 6-0 in the top of the 5th. Hoskins should have easily thrown out runner who scored the 6th run. Alas, his throw was about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up the 1st base line. I don't complain about his HRs, but he really does need to work on his defense (as does most of the team).

Reactions: N&B4PSU
For whatever reason, the Phils seem to have more trouble with the Mets than do other NL teams.

Mets are up 6-0 in the top of the 5th. Hoskins should have easily thrown out runner who scored the 6th run. Alas, his throw was about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up the 1st base line. I don't complain about his HRs, but he really does need to work on his defense (as does most of the team).

Agree. Major disappointment tonight. I know it’s been mentioned on here over and over, but the inconsistency of the offense is sort of baffling. 2 hits, 0 runs halfway through the game against a pitcher who has been horrendous all season.

The Braves are not our only concern, right now there are 4 teams within a half game of the 2 wildcard spots. It's great the Braves got swept by Colorado, but now the Phils are tied with the Rockies in the wildcard, and still trail the Braves. The last 6 weeks should be fascinating.

The Braves are not our only concern, right now there are 4 teams within a half game of the 2 wildcard spots. It's great the Braves got swept by Colorado, but now the Phils are tied with the Rockies in the wildcard, and still trail the Braves. The last 6 weeks should be fascinating.
If the Phils lose to the Braves by 1 game, that season opener is really going to hurt.

Reactions: harjeff
Nats have thrown in the towel....traded Murphy to the Cubs and Adams to the Cards. Murphy is a Phils killer, so good that he is gone for the upcoming important 3 game set beginning tonight....but may come back to haunt us in the playoffs is we draw the Cubs.

He’s not an OF. Any improvement will be marginal at best. I get the idea behind the Santana deal but they should have passed on that and installed Hoskins at 1B, where he belongs.

Sone interesting comments today by Jimmy Salisbury. JS said that Boras will get the Phillies involved in Harper during the offseason. I wondered the approach of doing so but then thought back to the alumni weekend where Werth indicated that Harper asked him what it was like to play in Philly. That doesn’t sound like a coincidence to me. The Yankees will certainly be involved but the more teams that Boras can involve, the better for his client. Something tells me that Harper’s question to Werth had a purpose behind it.

That was bullshit! They made the Phils bat in the top of the 3rd in a downpour when radar showed this was a deluge of rain in the making. Now they stop the game.

I'm very thankful for that, hopefully cancel this game. Even the Nats announcers were saying basically the Phil's conceded that run by playing defense like a bunch of little leaguers. Quinn misplays the fly ball and Herrera played so shallow the pitcher hit it over his head. Great coaching or undisciplined players. Not sure what the answer is or the cause.
Spoke too soon game back on.

Roman Quinn goes yard in the top of the 6th with a solo shot to tie the game, 1-1. His 1st HR in the bigs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT