ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Nola was sharp today. Good to see. Freddie Freeman is becoming legendary as a Phillie-killer. They never seem to be able to get him out or he'll work a 12, 15-pitch AB and then smash one into next week.

The manager is not having a good start. Taking out Nola after 68 pitches? He was cruising. Bullpen blows a 5-0 lead and we are tied at 5. Hoskins was also taken out.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The manager is not having a good start. Taking out Nola after 68 pitches? He was cruising. Bullpen blows a 5-0 lead and we are tied at 5. Hoskins was also taken out.
Why was Hoskins taken out? I kind of get Nola so early in the season, but Hoskins?

Edit: Nevermind. Defensive sub when it was 5-0.

Great effort by Nola wasted. The 8th inning was an embarrassment. Passed ball and subsequent E2 was a killer in that situtation.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Awful bullpen..... just awful.

That's why Nola has to at least get through the 6th inning. He's your ace.

Get used to it. This is the new Phillies...paralysis by analysis. four-hour games, etc.

The first 5 innings took about 80 minutes, last 4 innings over 2 hours.

Hoskins was taken out at 5-2. No Herrera in the starting lineup?

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
Let the second guessing of Kaplermetrics begin. No Herrera because the plane of Nick Williams swing is a better match with Tehran. Nola out after 68 pitches. No Neshack.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
162 games..... 162.

relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. it's kaplers first coaching gig. he's gonna have growing pains.

funny thing though, go to kapler's wiki page and you can read about his 1 game MLB coaching career before he was fired... yes, fired. "On March 29, 2018, Kapler was released from his position. When asked the reason for the firing, Phillies General Manager Matt Klentak replied "Analytics." ".

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Kapler loves his bullpen. Bottom of the 7th and the Phils are bringing in their 6th pitcher, hanging on to a 4-3 lead.

Kapler loves his bullpen. Bottom of the 7th and the Phils are bringing in their 6th pitcher, hanging on to a 4-3 lead.

Get used to it. I think he gets a cut of concessions. In Spring Training, he sometimes used 10 pitchers. He often made changes with two outs in the ninth.

He’s lucky nobody cares.

162 games..... 162.

relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. it's kaplers first coaching gig. he's gonna have growing pains.

funny thing though, go to kapler's wiki page and you can read about his 1 game MLB coaching career before he was fired... yes, fired. "On March 29, 2018, Kapler was released from his position. When asked the reason for the firing, Phillies General Manager Matt Klentak replied "Analytics." ".
agreed. Terrible managing job yesterday but you have to give him time. Remember Charlie Manuel getting hammered for not knowing the double switch when he first started. He turned out ok.

Reactions: Nitwit97
Get used to it. This is the new Phillies...paralysis by analysis. four-hour games, etc.
Yuck. And you are right. The four hour games suck. Nothing like catching a few innings, forgetting they are still playing, and when you go back to check score, it still isn’t done. Good Lord. I know it is only first game, but two glaring errors - pulling Nola way too early, and pulling Hoskins when he was due up next inning..

Maybe he Norman Dale’s us, but so far,
He is Chip Kellying us. Go Birds!

Dodged one there, very lucky. Great relay from Crawford. I take it we'll see pitcher #8 in the bottom of the 9th. Might just get to a 4 hour game.

Crawford with one out in the 11th with a single. Hernandez followed with a single, and Crawford got to 3rd. (I was surprised he didn't try to steal earlier in the count.) So 1st & 3rd with 1 out in the top of the 11th. Santana follows and instead of putting the ball in play he swings at the first two pitches, both of which were outside. After getting the count to 2-2, he lifted a ball to left field. Crawford scored, and Hernandez went to 2nd when the Braves' leftfielder threw home on the SF. Herrera with the ground out, so the Phils take a 1-run lead in the top of the 11th

ground out, then a K in the bottom on the 11th. Phils had a shift on for the next batter, Flaherty, and he grounded it where the SS would normally be playing for a single. On a 1-1 count, the pitcher tried to come inside, and knicked the batter, so it's 1st & 2nd with 2 out, and Inciarte at bat. And Inciarte flies out to short centerfield.

Phils are 1 - 1 on the year. Kingery got a win in his 1st MLB start.

They needed that win after yesterday. Problem for tomorrow is they've used everyone in the bullpen 2 straight days, and can't assume Velasquez will go very deep. Game time tonight 4:16.

And two hits.

I don't get the roster. I don't know why they took on Santana, I wanted Hoskins at first and Herrera/Williams/Altherr to get 500 ABs in the outfield. And either Franco or Hernandez has to go so Kingery can play everyday, preferably at 2B.

Well, I'm pretty old. I don't get these analytics. You either have the players or you don't and it doesn't take a PhD to figure out whom to platoon. Casey Stengel did it with the Yankees all thru the '50s. He didn't need a computer.

Here's the problem -- and if I've been misinformed, someone will no doubt set me straight. so to speak. lol.

I have been told that when asked about his decision to yank Nola at 68 pitches, he said that under the same circumstances, HE'D DO IT THE F AGAIN.

If so, Philly should fire this idiot today and move on. When you blow a 5-0 lead by yanking the guy who is killing it and has hardly thrown at all on a 70+ degree warm day (and yes, if it was 40 degrees I would think different).. and tell me you'd do it all again... well, then you've told everyone you are just stupid and need to coach jv ball in middle school. Maybe.

Unless I was misinformed and he never said that.

Reactions: Nitwit97
Yes, painful to watch so far. Going to need some extra arms in the pen this year. Neshek sounded a little worried about his shoulder injury, which doesn't help either.

Honestly I don't get the Herrera love. He was the best player on the team the last two years? So what, those teams were awful. Way too streaky to lead off, doesn't run enough for his speed. He'll be gone by next year anyway to make room for a free agent. Would rather we find out if Alther or Williams will be long term starters.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Not a fan of this managerial style. The games are unnecessarily long. Kaplar wants to stop the game and call upstairs for reviews on everything even remotely close, pickoff attempts included. Makes for a long game but I have to be honest, I thought Bourjous was safe at home and after the review I'm still not convinced he wasn't safe but the challenge worked. The fear here is he's going to wear out an already very iffy bullpen.

All that being said, the results are going to speak for themselves and we'll see. When you sit down to watch a game, better not make any plans for awhile. If nothing else, the team will be the topic of a lot of great lines and observations by the Philly papers and blogosphere. Barkann had a funny line after the game when he said Pivetta could go again today because he's already had enough rest.

Not a fan of this managerial style. The games are unnecessarily long. Kaplar wants to stop the game and call upstairs for reviews on everything even remotely close, pickoff attempts included. Makes for a long game but I have to be honest, I thought Bourjous was safe at home and after the review I'm still not convinced he wasn't safe but the challenge worked. The fear here is he's going to wear out an already very iffy bullpen.

All that being said, the results are going to speak for themselves and we'll see. When you sit down to watch a game, better not make any plans for awhile. If nothing else, the team will be the topic of a lot of great lines and observations by the Philly papers and blogosphere. Barkann had a funny line after the game when he said Pivetta could go again today because he's already had enough rest.
It may be true about the SP. If they are only going 60 pitches or so, they can get an inning out of them between starts. I really hope that isn't the plan.
Also, these pitchers are going to have to improve location to be able to pitch into the shifts. Very often pitchers miss their target or where the catcher is framing the pitch. Will be interesting to see how that plays out with the defensive shifts.

Here's the problem -- and if I've been misinformed, someone will no doubt set me straight. so to speak. lol.

I have been told that when asked about his decision to yank Nola at 68 pitches, he said that under the same circumstances, HE'D DO IT THE F AGAIN.

If so, Philly should fire this idiot today and move on. When you blow a 5-0 lead by yanking the guy who is killing it and has hardly thrown at all on a 70+ degree warm day (and yes, if it was 40 degrees I would think different).. and tell me you'd do it all again... well, then you've told everyone you are just stupid and need to coach jv ball in middle school. Maybe.

Unless I was misinformed and he never said that.
The flip side is that if he second guesses himself after game 1 then he dosen't come off as a confident manager. I think he knows that he blew it but can't say it publicly.

I don't get the roster. I don't know why they took on Santana, I wanted Hoskins at first and Herrera/Williams/Altherr to get 500 ABs in the outfield. And either Franco or Hernandez has to go so Kingery can play everyday, preferably at 2B.

Well, I'm pretty old. I don't get these analytics. You either have the players or you don't and it doesn't take a PhD to figure out whom to platoon. Casey Stengel did it with the Yankees all thru the '50s. He didn't need a computer.
Well, first, the game is much different than 1950. I don't think it is wise to use analytics blindly and exclusively, but if you aren't using it at all in today's game, I think you are missing a very useful resource.

Remember how much crap Doug Peterson took for having a stat guy in the booth suggesting to go for it on 4th down last year? Ended up working out in the long run.

Anyone watching this clown of a Phillies Manager

If you were watching you know what he did in the first game. The second game used nine (9) pitchers. Third game made a pitching change but no one was warming up in the bull pen. This "dude" appears over matched. What's the quickest managerial firing, of course Phils won't admit they made a mistake. Any old timers remember Eddie Sawyer, in 1960, quit after one game saying I'm 50?? and want to make it to 51.

If you were watching you know what he did in the first game. The second game used nine (9) pitchers. Third game made a pitching change but no one was warming up in the bull pen. This "dude" appears over matched. What's the quickest managerial firing, of course Phils won't admit they made a mistake. Any old timers remember Eddie Sawyer, in 1960, quit after one game saying I'm 50?? and want to make it to 51.
I haven’t been watching as I’m only interested when they get into a pennant race... what is the guys background? Is this his first manager job? I remember Charlie Manuel making some bonehead pitching moves when he first came to the Phils,. In his case he had lots of experience, but it was all American League.

As a Braves fan, I think he's doing a great job! ;)

Reactions: LionJim

He’s managing a little league team. All 25 guys must play every game. 21 pitchers in 3 games including a position player tonight.

Last edited:
Well, first, the game is much different than 1950. I don't think it is wise to use analytics blindly and exclusively, but if you aren't using it at all in today's game, I think you are missing a very useful resource.

Remember how much crap Doug Peterson took for having a stat guy in the booth suggesting to go for it on 4th down last year? Ended up working out in the long run.
Other than relying on relief pitching, nothing has changed except the game has been watered down to accommodate AA players in the majors.

If this is what we can expect this year, it's going to be a damn long season.

When do the gates open? :(

A big Ego is running the show. He micro manages like the game is about him. As this guy is off to a rough start, acts like he knows more about the game then everyone else. CAN'T STAND ANALYTICS, CAN'T STAND OVERMANAGING, Let the players play the game and get out of their way. That's my rant.

Reactions: delcoLion
ADVERTISEMENT