ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

So, I’ve been chatting with the Purdue board for the last several day, initially asking for their thoughts on the Shrewsberry rumor. Now that it’s official, the Purdue fans are talking about the replacement for Shrewsberry. One poster claims to be on some inner circle with Purdue basketball or one of the coaches, and that Shrewsberry may be bringing some other assistant coach along. Speculation was that it is Brandon Brantley, who coaches big men. Honestly, that would be way too good to be true.

I’m on the pay board and would find that to be a shocking development. I would put that at less than 5%. There’s zero smoke on that board.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Like the hire. Judging from his Twitter page, he’s still in love with all things Celtics, which is a bit odd as he was a current Purdue coach. I’m reluctant to follow him and would be quite annoyed he’s posting more about the Celts than Penn St hoops. Hope that changes now that he’s a head coach.

I’m on the pay board and would find that to be a shocking development. I would put that at less than 5%. There’s zero smoke on that board.
Not saying your buddies on the pay board are wrong, but I'm sure the Shrewsberry negotiation included assistant salary money that might bring that guy. Or at least earn him a raise that Purdue will find painful to match :)

Not saying your buddies on the pay board are wrong, but I'm sure the Shrewsberry negotiation included assistant salary money that might bring that guy. Or at least earn him a raise that Purdue will find painful to match :)
Of course. You’ve raided several of our FB ACs recently because we can’t afford what you do in FB. I’m not sure you’re going to pay what it takes on the BB side to grab one of ours. But it’s a cutthroat world at the AC level. You take what you can get. But don’t lose sight of the fact of how close Shrew and Painter are. I can’t imagine him doing anything to risk that relationship. And I think that includes recruits too.

I think I read the same thread as Ranger, and this individual (Brantley) was never once mentioned as coming to PSU. There was some kind of vague message that somebody might follow Shrewsberry, and no name given. So it is a big stretch to say there is even a rumor.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
If Brantley wants to become a head coach some day, his quickest path to that is likely staying at Purdue under Painter where they already have a loaded group of bigs signed up for the next several seasons and he already has the reputation for having developed several that have come through already. He's also from Indiana and was a team captain at Purdue in the 90's. If he came to Penn State with Shrewsberry it would be a huge surprise to Purdue and a huge coup for you guys.

My guess is that he looks at assistants with recruiting ties on the East Coast.

Reactions: bison13
His pitch to Harrar didn’t go over well, as he hit the portal an hour after the hire.

I think I read the same thread as Ranger, and this individual (Brantley) was never once mentioned as coming to PSU. There was some kind of vague message that somebody might follow Shrewsberry, and no name given. So it is a big stretch to say there is even a rumor.
The inner circle guy said someone surprising might come along. Brantly was someone else’s guess at who would be surprising.

Has anyone seen if Shrewsbury's deal includes any non-salary commitments from Penn State? BJC improvements? practice facility changes? I've seen nothing on his salary or anything else at this point.

His pitch to Harrar didn’t go over well, as he hit the portal an hour after the hire.

WHAT?????

This new guy better be good. Sounds like we just went from possible NCAA next year to another probable rebuild.

Same old, same old.

Wheeler in the transfer portal as well......

I can understand Wheeler as he committed to Ferry initially and then followed him to PSU. But Harrar, unless he was told by the new coach that he didn't fit into his plans for the team, would be the cornerstone big on next season's PSU team....

Last edited:

I can understand Wheeler as he committed to Ferry initially and then followed him to PSU. But Harrar, unless he was told by the new coach that he didn't fit into his plans for the team, would be the cornerstone big on next season's PSU team....

I‘m thinking Harrar isn’t a good fit. Shrewsberry doesn’t like to post up the big man down low. Rather, he prefers a high lob pass to a guard in the corner.

o_O

Reactions: MacNit07
Has anyone seen if Shrewsbury's deal includes any non-salary commitments from Penn State? BJC improvements? practice facility changes? I've seen nothing on his salary or anything else at this point.

Those things are rarely included in the contract (the most I've ever seen are clauses related to AC comp). If anything , there is a side letter so that they are memorialized when the coach decides to leave without paying liquidated damages.

I'd be surprised if we get any information regarding Shrewsberry's deal. It's not the Penn State way. "Openness" lasted for about three months.

wonder if this is kind of a statement regarding wanting Ferry and maybe one thats just we hate Sandy.....

wonder if this is kind of a statement regarding wanting Ferry and maybe one thats just we hate Sandy.....

I’m thinking this has nothing to do with Shrewsberry, as the players leaving haven’t had the time to get to know him. Rather, it’s simply that Shrewsberry isn’t Ferry or Chambers. These kids committed to them. I’m sure they don’t buy into what happened to Chambers and that Ferry wasn’t retained. A part of their transferring is probably a “F*ck you” to Sandy for forcing out their mentors.

Shrewsberry may be a great coach, but he has an uphill battle to start. Next year could be ugly.

I’m thinking this has nothing to do with Shrewsberry, as the players leaving haven’t had the time to get to know him. Rather, it’s simply that Shrewsberry isn’t Ferry or Chambers. These kids committed to them. I’m sure they don’t buy into what happened to Chambers and that Ferry wasn’t retained. A part of their transferring is probably a “F*ck you” to Sandy for forcing out their mentors.

Shrewsberry may be a great coach, but he has an uphill battle to start. Next year could be ugly.
I think most of them would have portaled even if Ferry was named the permanent head coach. They were professional about the situation and played hard for Ferry (but in a larger sense played hard for each other), but IMO this is almost exclusively about the Chambers situation. He was their guy.

Going to be an interesting next couple days....

Only positive is that with these guys potentially leaving, there are just as many in the portal to replace.

After seeing JOnes go too, I would guess this has nothing to do with Ferry or Shrewsberry but rather Sandy and her handling of PC
having zero inside information, I would agree. Sandy threw the old coach under a bus and the new coach was temporary and never supported. The team played under an "us against the world" mentality. Now, the entire earth shifts under this team with a new coach and philosophy. With the portal, its a good time to reevaluate regardless of PSU. I am told Harrar LOVED PSU and his leaving was a big blow because if he loved PSU, it means he didn't "love" the PSU basketball program.

For the new coach, it gives him more runway and allows him to get his players in with a couple of years to build before anyone expects anything.

But it is quite a mess and the coach has a lot of clearing up to do.

200.gif

I doubt it includes anything specific in BJC. The player locker room, lounge, dining area have all been redone in past 3 years I believe.

This should surprise absolutely nobody. You're guaranteeing a full rebuild when you fire the existing coach two weeks before tipoff. Especially a coach who players liked as much as they liked Chambers.

I think Penn State's basketball program has a brighter future under Shrewsberry than it's had under any other coach in my lifetime. But it's a full and total reset, and I can guarantee that's something that Shrewsberry understood when he took the job.

This should surprise absolutely nobody. You're guaranteeing a full rebuild when you fire the existing coach two weeks before tipoff. Especially a coach who players liked as much as they liked Chambers.

I think Penn State's basketball program has a brighter future under Shrewsberry than it's had under any other coach in my lifetime. But it's a full and total reset, and I can guarantee that's something that Shrewsberry understood when he took the job.
but that would mean that the sky isn't falling......

but that would mean that the sky isn't falling......
well, best case is two steps back. Right now, PSU has a highly regarded assistant coach with a program in shambles, no players, and no basketball tradition. We've got an arena, a practice facility and a seemingly good guy starting a new job.

200.gif

well, best case is two steps back. Right now, PSU has a highly regarded assistant coach with a program in shambles, no players, and no basketball tradition. We've got an arena, a practice facility and a seemingly good guy starting a new job.

200.gif

Sandy’s got this.

Reactions: Whaaaaaaaany 2.0
Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

Can't imagine that Shrewsberry thought the level of defections would be this bad and I wonder what's going through his mind right now.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Seriously, best thing that could happen to him. He has a longer runway now.

Oh no, what will the new coach ever do without the collection of players that went 11-15 last season???? What will he do with players that can actually run an offense and take care of the ball. What kind of coach will he have to be to not go 8 minutes a game without a fg?

please stop listening to the gloom and doom media. We are...way better off currently than with the old staff and the old players.

to the players.....good luck but remember, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Surprised Dread isn't in the portal yet. He seemed very upset back when PC was let go

because miles can think for himself and sees a spot up shooter might work very well in this offense.

sessoms
Dread
Lundy
Portal
Portal

Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

Can't imagine that Shrewsberry thought the level of defections would be this bad and I wonder what's going through his mind right now.
I'd bet you that none of the current portal entries surprised him. He's been negotiating with Penn State for this job for over a month, and the guys entering the portal have been planning their exits for much longer - he almost certainly was aware of the landscape of the job he was taking.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT