ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast 2024 NFL Draft Preview + will Drew Allar be in next year's draft?

If Drew is in the draft next year, that means we’re in the playoffs this year and that’s a good thing. If he is in the first couple rounds of the draft next year, that means we’re probably in the final four in the playoffs this year! There’s a lot of other strengths on this team, so truly Drew is the key to this season.

Reactions: Obliviax
If Drew is in the draft next year, that means we’re in the playoffs this year and that’s a good thing. If he is in the first couple rounds of the draft next year, that means we’re probably in the final four in the playoffs this year! There’s a lot of other strengths on this team, so truly Drew is the key to this season.
I thought Matt Millen had a good comment during the Blue/White game. He said that Allar, as a true Soph, was drilled to keep it simple, let other people win the game, don't lose the game. And that resulted in 25 TD passes with only one INT. This season he'll be counted on to do a lot more. In other words, to be less conservative and more aggressive. That makes sense to me.

The wild card is the new OC. I like what he is saying and doing, from what I can tell. We'll have a lot of weapons and talent across the board. Obviously, the challenge is at WR.

Drew is very young. Even if he has a great season this fall he would probably be better served to play another year. And if he does have a great season his NIL will take a huge jump, negating the always present fear of injury.

A big caveat would be where he would fall in the draft. If he is a top five pick that’s big bucks. And depends on which teams would pick him. He may play another year to avoid some horrific, perennial screwup team…… like the Jets.

But the Magic Eight Ball says another year is in the offing……

Drew is very young. Even if he has a great season this fall he would probably be better served to play another year. And if he does have a great season his NIL will take a huge jump, negating the always present fear of injury.

A big caveat would be where he would fall in the draft. If he is a top five pick that’s big bucks. And depends on which teams would pick him. He may play another year to avoid some horrific, perennial screwup team…… like the Jets.

But the Magic Eight Ball says another year is in the offing……

Agreed... especially since the QB is much less likely to get injured. He also doesn't need the money. I don't know what his parents do but Medina is an upper middle class suburb and I am sure he's making some good scratch with NIL. That first year in the NFL is critical. You can be a high draft pick washout and make $6m or you can catch on, have a long career, and make north of $100m. If it is me, I think long and hard about staying in college for an additional year unless I am 100% certain that I am a no-brainer top-10 pick and have the chops to sustain in the NFL>

Right now the scouting report is "freezes up in big games and throws off his back foot". So, yeah, right at this moment, no he's not going to be a first or even second day pick. It's probably best to try and change that scouting report this coming season before considering the draft. Then again this head coach has a long long history of players leaving early and making a mistake by doing so.

Reactions: psu00 and Obliviax
Right now the scouting report is "freezes up in big games and throws off his back foot". So, yeah, right at this moment, no he's not going to be a first or even second day pick. It's probably best to try and change that scouting report this coming season before considering the draft. Then again this head coach has a long long history of players leaving early and making a mistake by doing so.
Agreed. CJF fired the OC as a result. Lets hope that works.

Reactions: Delcolion915
I fully expect Drew to end up in the draft or the transfer portal after this season. Hopefully it's the former as that will bode better for us in terms of getting future QB recruits. If he returns for a 3rd year as a starter I think it will be a pleasant surprise.

I fully expect Drew to end up in the draft or the transfer portal after this season. Hopefully it's the former as that will bode better for us in terms of getting future QB recruits. If he returns for a 3rd year as a starter I think it will be a pleasant surprise.
what has he done so far to make people think he will be in next years draft? l hope he has a great year, then we will see what happens.

what has he done so far to make people think he will be in next years draft? l hope he has a great year, then we will see what happens.
Hackenberg went in the second round…it’s more about the tools than the stats.

Reactions: bison13
Hackenberg went in the second round…it’s more about the tools than the stats.
It used to be about this. Scouts want a little more now, too much money on the line. If Andy and Danny guide him like I believe they will, then he will be ready. Right now scouts will wait until the season to see his progress.

Players can vault up draft boards with only one season of good performance. I'd argue Allar already has one "good" season. If he follows that with a "great" season this year, given his measurables, the NFL will be all over him.

It used to be about this. Scouts want a little more now, too much money on the line. If Andy and Danny guide him like I believe they will, then he will be ready. Right now scouts will wait until the season to see his progress.
That's not true at all--it's still all about potential.

If he duplicates last season he's, at worst, a 3rd round pick. Coaches will want to "fix" him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT