ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

The guy who gave him that opportunity is longer the coach of the team.
That’s true, but I’m quite certain he got better using the school’s facilities and the school’s equipment. I seriously doubt Chambers was with him every single hour he spent working on getting better. He also had tremendous fan support and those weren’t Chambers’ fans, they were PSU fans. Sorry, I think it’s a Bush league move.

Reading through this I think maybe there is some naïveté among many of the posters. Players are transferring rather than taking a chance with a new coach. It’s expected. I believe they’re just looking at their own best interests. It’s a leap to assume that they would subjugate those interests merely to make a statement against Barbour who makes $1 million per year to run the program that was paying for their scholarships and giving them an opportunity to play in the Big10. Would any of them be getting more minutes playing for Iowa, OSU, MSU, Illinois, or Michigan? I think they might merely want some leverage when the talk to the new coach but any coach (or AD) worth his or her salt isn’t going to let the players run the program, especially players from a losing program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
That’s true, but I’m quite certain he got better using the school’s facilities and the school’s equipment. I seriously doubt Chambers was with him every single hour he spent working on getting better. He also had tremendous fan support and those weren’t Chambers’ fans, they were PSU fans. Sorry, I think it’s a Bush league move.
True...but like football and the xfer portal, the players have that right and power now. From Harrar's standpoint is that he can a) play for a coach he has no relationship with or input or b) go play for a coach of his choosing.

Like it or not, in today's college sports, everyone is "one and done" potentially.

Sessoms, Dread, Lundy, and the freshmen are all that are left minus the walk ons.

DO they all hit the road too?
Keep in mind that if the players and coach both are ok with it, the player can rejoin the team. I’m not saying that all of the portal guys will reconsider or that Shrew will want any of them, but it’s not a done deal.

Reactions: bison13
Why is it that Barbour takes all the heat for Chamber's exit in late October and Chambers gets no criticism for it? Due to an NDA, we'll likely never know for sure what precipitated Barbour's decision, but do you assume that Chambers was blameless? I don't. Could it possibly be that some undisclosed action(s) by Chambers is the reason that Chambers "resigned?" Whatever was the reason, Barbour thought it sufficient to risk damage to the MBB program to re-set the program under new leadership. As it was at least two weeks from the investigative report submission to the PC resignation, this wasn't a decision made lightly and Chambers signed an NDA rather than fight Barbour legally (he probably got some going away cash, too).

Time will tell, but I like the long-term future of the program under Shrewsberry more than Chambers, and I was a Chambers defender.

Because ADs are easy targets. If Barbour came out in support of oxygen, many posters would hold their breath in protest.

Food for thought: When a nondisclosure agreement is signed upon hiring, it is typically to protect the employer. When a non disclosure agreement is signed upon resigning or termination, it is typically to protect the employee.

In my opinion, the investigation uncovered something that would have damaged Chambers' chances at getting another job if they had been made public. Resigning and signing the NDA was his best strategic move. If it was a total BS reason, do you really think that someone of his personality wouldn't fight it?

He may land an assistant position in a year or two with a program that feels his talents are worth the risk.

The expectations of how coaches act, treat players & staff, including general office staff is changing.

True...but like football and the xfer portal, the players have that right and power now. From Harrar's standpoint is that he can a) play for a coach he has no relationship with or input or b) go play for a coach of his choosing.

Like it or not, in today's college sports, everyone is "one and done" potentially.
I get it, I just think it’s a crap move by him. I thought more highly of him and thought he had more character than an average player, but apparently not. So be it.

I get it, I just think it’s a crap move by him. I thought more highly of him and thought he had more character than an average player, but apparently not. So be it.
I hear you...but I don't blame him. it is pretty clear that, whatever happened, the team isn't happy with how it was handled. He needs to go take care of himself. And that is what he is doing.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
Because ADs are easy targets. If Barbour came out in support of oxygen, many posters would hold their breath in protest.

Food for thought: When a nondisclosure agreement is signed upon hiring, it is typically to protect the employer. When a non disclosure agreement is signed upon resigning or termination, it is typically to protect the employee.

In my opinion, the investigation uncovered something that would have damaged Chambers' chances at getting another job if they had been made public. Resigning and signing the NDA was his best strategic move. If it was a total BS reason, do you really think that someone of his personality wouldn't fight it?

He may land an assistant position in a year or two with a program that feels his talents are worth the risk.

The expectations of how coaches act, treat players & staff, including general office staff is changing.

Doesn't matter if Chambers turned out to be the Zodiac Killer. Perception of his players is that he got a raw deal and they're bolting. Would imagine there is a similar perception among certain HS coaches at places where Coach Shrewsberry would like to recruit. The task before him just got harder.

Reactions: Ski and NC2017
Doesn't matter if Chambers turned out to be the Zodiac Killer. Perception of his players is that he got a raw deal and they're bolting. Would imagine there is a similar perception among certain HS coaches at places where Coach Shrewsberry would like to recruit. The task before him just got harder.
Reading that Del Wilson is on board with Shrewsberry makes me very happy. Del has more influence than any HS coaches today.

Reactions: psuguy43
I think this is very unfair. Through not fault of his own, the administration made a decision to make a coaching change and he's exploring his options. 30, 40, 50 year old men and women make the same decision every day when they find a new opportunity, resign from their positions, and move to a new organization to work for. Sandy and Barron did the same a few years ago when they changed jobs and came to PSU.

I was not a big Harrar fan 4 years ago, but I've watched him work, work, work for 4 years to become a solid Big Ten center. The last person we should be criticizing in this situation is John Harrar.

Perception of his players is that he got a raw deal and they're boltin’.

o_O

On another note, imagine if Shrewsberry were the female coach some here wanted. Then we could call “her” Shrew. o_O

I think this is very unfair. Through not fault of his own, the administration made a decision to make a coaching change and he's exploring his options. 30, 40, 50 year old men and women make the same decision every day when they find a new opportunity, resign from their positions, and move to a new organization to work for. Sandy and Barron did the same a few years ago when they changed jobs and came to PSU.

I was not a big Harrar fan 4 years ago, but I've watched him work, work, work for 4 years to become a solid Big Ten center. The last person we should be criticizing in this situation is John Harrar.
You have your opinion and I have mine. My company has been great for me and provided me with opportunities to improve my knowledge and climb up the ladder. I like my boss a lot, but if he gets fired I’m not going to bail on my company even if I disagree with the decision. Young people get criticized on here all the time for being selfish and having no honor, yet when one of our athletes leaves people say he’s got to do what’s best for him....isn’t that the very definition of selfishness? He has every right to make that decision and I have every right to think it’s a garbage move.

To criticize Harrar is beyond ridiculous...I hope John finds a good situation and can play a key role on an NCAA team next year
It’s ridiculous for someone to have a different opinion than you...got it.

Last edited:
To criticize Harrar is beyond ridiculous...I hope John finds a good situation and can play a key role on an NCAA team next year
Agree, my favorite guy on the team. AS much as I want him to stay and make this a productive team next year he absolutely do what is right for him.

He is not 'bailing' on his team at all, quite the opposite, he is standing up for his coach who gave him the chance to grow. If that truly is his reason for going, which it seems based on everyone in the portal with it him, then more respect for him to go and show what Pat did for him out on a bigger stage.

You have your opinion and I have mine. My company has been great for me and provided me with opportunities to improve my knowledge and climb up the ladder. I like my boss a lot, but if he gets fired I’m not going to bail on my company even if I disagree with the decision. Young people get criticized on here all the time for being selfish and having no honor, yet when one of our athletes leaves people say he’s got to do what’s best for him....isn’t that the very definition of selfishness? He has every right to make that decision and I have every right to think it’s a garbage move.
In my opinion you would be making a mistake. I have a friend that worked for a company. The owner/boss sold to a bigger firm. My friend stayed on and once they were transitioned he was let go. You have to make sure you are your own best advocate because you likely don't have another. As I say that I have worked for the same company for the last 20+ years and my boss is contemplating his exit strategy. I know that when/if he sales the company I will be moving on as well.

In my opinion you would be making a mistake. I have a friend that worked for a company. The owner/boss sold to a bigger firm. My friend stayed on and once they were transitioned he was let go. You have to make sure you are your own best advocate because you likely don't have another. As I say that I have worked for the same company for the last 20+ years and my boss is contemplating his exit strategy. I know that when/if he sales the company I will be moving on as well.
I’ve been with my company 32 years and have had multiple bosses...I would stay with the company if my boss got fired.

Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

Can't imagine that Shrewsberry thought the level of defections would be this bad and I wonder what's going through his mind right now.

Every player that is now in the Portal is not necessarily leaving the program. In this article on Lundy he said he is just keeping his options open. He has already talked to some other coaches, but if our new coach comes in and is enthusiastic about Lundy staying and being a big part of next year's team there is no reason to believe that the love for PSU that Lundy has won't be the deciding factor.

I don't blame the kids for going to the Portal. A new coach is a big transition, on top of the Chaos that Barber created.

Interesting that Lundy has already talked to UD, my son's school and one I root for. Anthony Grant is a great coach, seems like a players coach, but he tries to run a disciplined offense, trying to minimize turnovers, which doesn't exactly seem like Lundy's strength. We'll see.

Bottom line is that some will leave, but some may still stay. Give the new coach a few days to talk to these kids. We may see a couple of those in the Portal decide to stay and I would expect those that stay to make that decision in the next week or two.....

Interesting that Lundy has already talked to UD, my son's school and one I root for. Anthony Grant is a great coach, seems like a players coach, but he tries to run a disciplined offense, trying to minimize turnovers, which doesn't exactly seem like Lundy's strength. We'll see.
FWIW, Lundy would have had the second best turnover rate in Dayton’s rotation this season (they are 291st in the country in turnover rate).

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I’ve been with my company 32 years and have had multiple bosses...I would stay with the company if my boss got fired.
Difference is these kids have limited time to play unlike having a job for 32 years. He could stay and not fit in new coaches rotation and waste his last year to play what he enjoys.

Difference is these kids have limited time to play unlike having a job for 32 years. He could stay and not fit in new coaches rotation and waste his last year to play what he enjoys.
Or he could go somewhere else where he has no history and not play at all and waste his last year. Seems to me he would have a better chance of playing in a situation where most of the players have transferred out and he’s one of a few guys on the whole roster as opposed to breaking into a locker room that’s already been a team.

There you go, ruining another post by bringing up actual facts... sheesh.

Not really. I would look at all those 3's Lundy jacks up, sometimes even when he is on a cold streak, as turnovers.

UD only had a couple of seniors, and played a ton of true freshmen including one from overseas that only committed and showed up at UD 2 weeks before the season, which explains some of their turnover issues this season and is a big reason they are in the NIT and not the NCAA.....

UD needs some mature rebounders, so maybe Lundy gives them serious consideration. And his game may play better in the A10 than the B10. But my bet is on him coming back to PSU.

Last edited:
It takes two stud recruits to resurrect a basketball team. You can gain more than two in a single year of the portal. Honestly, we could recycle our 11 win team in one year of the portal and survive. ( look at who is following most of our players who've entered the portal--not a lot of Kentucky or Duke types).

It takes two stud recruits to resurrect a basketball team. You can gain more than two in a single year of the portal. Honestly, we could recycle our 11 win team in one year of the portal and survive. ( look at who is following most of our players who've entered the portal--not a lot of Kentucky or Duke types).

To give you an idea of worrying about losing players to the portal: we had ZERO players selected to the coaches first, second, third, or honorable mention teams.

Quite being a d$ck. The kid should be graduating this year if he hasn't already. If it wasn't for Covid he'd be done playing college ball. He honored his 4 yr commitment to PSU. Good luck to John where ever he end up.

Wow, I'm an optimist about this hire but that is pretty bold. This league is brutal as of today, and if IU hires Brad Stevens or Rick Pitino it gets even worse.

Most of his starters will be gone, looking like 5 or more in the portal, one kid coming in. This could be worse than Chambers first couple of years here. It's going to be 5 years before PSU sees a .500 season.

Holy F. We get what looks on paper to be a really good hire and some of you just bitching and whining about stuff on this thread and the other one. 🤦‍♂️

Most of his starters will be gone, looking like 5 or more in the portal, one kid coming in. This could be worse than Chambers first couple of years here. It's going to be 5 years before PSU sees a .500 season.
You mean like the career sub .500 record at PSU of our last coach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT