ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

Sessoms, Dread, Lundy, and the freshmen are all that are left minus the walk ons.

DO they all hit the road too?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Seriously, best thing that could happen to him. He has a longer runway now.
Well, we certainly have lower expectations now. No pressure to dance for at least two years,
probably three. Maybe ever.

Any chance he could convince some guys to stay? They seemed to to love playing with each other, loved playing the game, and liked the campus/people....other than Sandy and her bandits.

Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

Can't imagine that Shrewsberry thought the level of defections would be this bad and I wonder what's going through his mind right now.
The players probably think they’re victims cause Chambers got canned and now they’re making a statement. That’s the current climate of this generation, everyone better come together and make a statement, nobody is allowed to think for themselves, if i don’t get the coach i want, if I don’t play right away, if a fan tweets something mean about me, i’m outta here. They don even bother giving the new coach a chance, who saw that comin?

Reactions: Obliviax
I'd bet you that none of the current portal entries surprised him. He's been negotiating with Penn State for this job for over a month, and the guys entering the portal have been planning their exits for much longer - he almost certainly was aware of the landscape of the job he was taking.

Yeah, and I'm sure that the powers that be told him what was going on with the team, as if they knew.

Well, we certainly have lower expectations now. No pressure to dance for at least two years,
probably three. Maybe ever.

Any chance he could convince some guys to stay? They seemed to to love playing with each other, loved playing the game, and liked the campus/people....other than Sandy and her bandits.
well, somebody said Harrar didn't fit his plans as he doesn't play that post up big in the paint. IDK. But my guess is that the program suffered a huge setback when "the program" didn't back a guy who was loyal to PSU (sound familiar?). So, if you go to work for a new boss, but his/her boss sucks you are not in a good position.

I don't think there is any other way to look at it other than PSU is starting a ground zero....again.

The players probably think they’re victims cause Chambers got canned and now they’re making a statement. That’s the current climate of this generation, everyone better come together and make a statement, nobody is allowed to think for themselves, don’t even bother giving the new coach a chance

sessoms, dread, and Lundy will give this coach a chance and at least 2 of them will be all big ten next year when they go to the dance.

Let's all calm down a minute. Entering the portal is not a guarantee that someone will leave. They can withdraw their name and stay at Penn State if they want to. All these guys entering the portal together is clearly sending a message to our esteemed AD. My guess is Shrewsbury hasn't even talked to these guys yet and once that conversation happens and he re-recruits them,, some or all of these guys may be back in the fold.

well, somebody said Harrar didn't fit his plans as he doesn't play that post up big in the paint. IDK. But my guess is that the program suffered a huge setback when "the program" didn't back a guy who was loyal to PSU (sound familiar?). So, if you go to work for a new boss, but his/her boss sucks you are not in a good position.

I don't think there is any other way to look at it other than PSU is starting a ground zero....again.

That was BobPSU92 and you think it wasn't TIC?

Reactions: step.eng69
Why is it that Barbour takes all the heat for Chamber's exit in late October and Chambers gets no criticism for it? Due to an NDA, we'll likely never know for sure what precipitated Barbour's decision, but do you assume that Chambers was blameless? I don't. Could it possibly be that some undisclosed action(s) by Chambers is the reason that Chambers "resigned?" Whatever was the reason, Barbour thought it sufficient to risk damage to the MBB program to re-set the program under new leadership. As it was at least two weeks from the investigative report submission to the PC resignation, this wasn't a decision made lightly and Chambers signed an NDA rather than fight Barbour legally (he probably got some going away cash, too).

Time will tell, but I like the long-term future of the program under Shrewsberry more than Chambers, and I was a Chambers defender.

Yeah, and I'm sure that the powers that be told him what was going on with the team, as if they knew.
He wouldn't have needed to have a conversation with Barbour or Holleran to figure out what was coming down the pike with the roster after this season. If Shrewsberry's half as smart as he seems, he had a whole professional network across college basketball to talk to about this job, because he's been the primary candidate here for a while. Any coach in college basketball would have been able to readily tell him that Penn State had a bunch of guys who were planning on transferring at the end of the season because of what happened with Chambers.

These guys have been working back channels for a while. It's why John Harrar "enters the portal" last night and it's immediately reported that half of the schools in major conference basketball have already made contact. Most of them probably already have their new schools lined up.

What no one knows is how impressed the new guy was with the existing roster to begin with. But he's probably less impressed now.

Shrew needs to talk with our kids ASAP and to hell with Purdue. He's our coach now.

He wouldn't have needed to have a conversation with Barbour or Holleran to figure out what was coming down the pike with the roster after this season. If Shrewsberry's half as smart as he seems, he had a whole professional network across college basketball to talk to about this job, because he's been the primary candidate here for a while. Any coach in college basketball would have been able to readily tell him that Penn State had a bunch of guys who were planning on transferring at the end of the season because of what happened with Chambers.

These guys have been working back channels for a while. It's why John Harrar "enters the portal" last night and it's immediately reported that half of the schools in major conference basketball have already made contact. Most of them probably already have their new schools lined up.

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what went on.

A good “source” says it’s likely Shrewsberry will hire someone with a St Joe’s connection. And the new staff will recruit Philly harder than Chambers did. Things will get interesting but I have to believe this all is better for the long term. Chambers and his roster were only going to get us so far. We now have a coach with Boston Celtics on his resume instead of Boston University.

That was BobPSU92 and you think it wasn't TIC?
do you know what "IDK" means?

I don't really follow PSU basketball. At some point, the sport needs to give back to the fan or you are just being played. Regardless, what I did see of Harrar is a slow big guy who has some utility but you cannot build a modern team around. I am also told he was a 100% Lion who loved the school and wouldn't be leaving unless he felt he was in a no-win sitch. So my real opinion is that it isn't a huge loss in terms of what is put on the court next year. However, the leadership and optics look just awful. For a sport that is all about recruiting and talent, that is a big problem.

What does the new coach do to recruit high-end players (and even at that, we are in for a couple of really bad years). "hey, I know the program sucks and you want to play in the NBA, but why not come to PSU?" "I know the AD threw the previous coach under the bus because some people snowflaked on him, but hey, it is 2021!" "I know we haven't made the NCAA dance in your lifetime, got stiffed by the NIT, but give me some love!"

The new coach comes in with two strikes against him and Mario Rivera in his prime on the mound.

A good “source” says it’s likely Shrewsberry will hire someone with a St Joe’s connection. And the new staff will recruit Philly harder than Chambers did. Things will get interesting but I have to believe this all is better for the long term. Chambers and his roster were only going to get us so far. We now have a coach with Boston Celtics on his resume instead of Boston University.
So what is he going to say to them? why should they play for PSU and not Villa, Temple, BC, Seton Hall or Syracuse?

I don't really follow PSU basketball. At some point, the sport needs to give back to the fan or you are just being played. Regardless, what I did see of Harrar is a slow big guy who has some utility but you cannot build a modern team around. I am also told he was a 100% Lion who loved the school and wouldn't be leaving unless he felt he was in a no-win sitch. So my real opinion is that it isn't a huge loss in terms of what is put on the court next year. However, the leadership and optics look just awful. For a sport that is all about recruiting and talent, that is a big problem.

What does the new coach do to recruit high-end players (and even at that, we are in for a couple of really bad years). "hey, I know the program sucks and you want to play in the NBA, but why not come to PSU?" "I know the AD threw the previous coach under the bus because some people snowflaked on him, but hey, it is 2021!" "I know we haven't made the NCAA dance in your lifetime, got stiffed by the NIT, but give me some love!"

The new coach comes in with two strikes against him and Mario Rivera in his prime on the mound.
John Harrar might end up being the most sought-after big in the portal this cycle. Guys who averaged close to a double double in a major conference don't come around too often, especially at the most premium position.

You're right. You don't know who Caleb Swanigan, Matt Haarms, and Zach Edey are.

Disappointing none of them want to give new coach a chance. I mean either way they are going to have a new coach, whether here or at a different school.

John Harrar might end up being the most sought-after big in the portal this cycle. Guys who averaged close to a double double in a major conference don't come around too often, especially at the most premium position.
Maryland must really want him since they're mentioned twice in the same tweet. Ha

It's probably not fatal, but it's not "better" unless Shrewsberry recruits like gangbusters over the next two years which is the time frame that the roster would normally turn over.

You're right. You don't know who Caleb Swanigan, Matt Haarms, and Zach Edey are.
and Harrar is not any of those guys. He's a good player that plays a role. But he isn't a guy to build a program around.

The other things is that these guys might just be testing the waters. Think of a solid, 5 year employee who sends out resumes from time to time to see what other companies might be interested and what they would offer. All these players now know they have to learn a new system and adapt to a new coach if they stay. Why not see if a top tier program, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Gonzaga, etc might be interested in their services? Based on what I saw of John Harrar's hustle, motor, and stat stuffing results, he could play for anyone in the country.

So what is he going to say to them? why should they play for PSU and not Villa, Temple, BC, Seton Hall or Syracuse?

Read the thread. Phillyhoops4life is Delgreco Wilson. As he states in the thread he helps young men from the area transition in life. Some into college athletics, some trade schools and I’m sure many other directions too. He’s a great guy. I’ve never met him but I have chatted with him a few times. He’s very connected in the Philly hoops scene. If you read the thread, you’ll understand how Pat was able to get Philly kids to Penn State. And what it will take for Shrewsberry to continue where Pat left off.

Read the thread. Phillyhoops4life is Delgreco Wilson. As he states in the thread he helps young men from the area transition in life. Some into college athletics, some trade schools and I’m sure many other directions too. He’s a great guy. I’ve never met him but I have chatted with him a few times. He’s very connected in the Philly hoops scene. If you read the thread, you’ll understand how Pat was able to get Philly kids to Penn State. And what it will take for Shrewsberry to continue where Pat left off.
Reading that thread makes it very clear that Pat is still going to be a desired commodity, even if it's as an assistant coach at a major conference school somewhere. I was curious whether the incident last year would have damaged that relationship - it looks like it hasn't.

Reading that thread makes it very clear that Pat is still going to be a desired commodity, even if it's as an assistant coach at a major conference school somewhere. I was curious whether the incident last year would have damaged that relationship - it looks like it hasn't.

It did some damage. Probably not irreparable though. Del has a blog he calls The Black Cager. I think it’s at delgrecowilson.com. He wrote about it when the news broke. The guy is a phenomenal writer. He’s super intelligent, sees both sides and is very fair in his analysis and what he writes. In the piece on Chambers’ noose comment, he says Pat lost some people in Philly because of that.

It's probably not fatal, but it's not "better" unless Shrewsberry recruits like gangbusters over the next two years which is the time frame that the roster would normally turn over.

Well, Chambers wasn’t getting the same quality recruits as he did with the Carr / Stevens class. And he’d lost some of his Philly supporters. I think Chambers had peaked. I don’t think he had another level up in him. Just my opinion.

Shrewsberry has work to do for sure. But it appears he already has contacts in Philly (he was the lead recruiter for Jameel Brown) and sounds like he’s targeted a Philly guy as an assistant. So heading in the right direction.

Due to an NDA, we'll likely never know for sure what precipitated Barbour's decision, but do you assume that Chambers was blameless? I don't. Could it possibly be that some undisclosed action(s) by Chambers is the reason that Chambers "resigned?"
Agree. I think something happened that Chambers does want publically revealed. It may even be a personal matter. In that case, nothing can even be hinted.

I understand somewhat the angry feelings towards Barbour. What's the deal with Holleran? I keep reading that PSU athletes do not have positive feelings towards her either.

Honestly, if Lundy, Sessoms, and Dread stayed, it would be more than I expected. I’d welcome back McCloskey with open arms too, but assume he’s moving on.

and Harrar is not any of those guys. He's a good player that plays a role. But he isn't a guy to build a program around.

Yeah, but the point was that there was no place in the Shrewsberry system for a big playing down low, so if you can't get that right change the subject.

Disappointing none of them want to give new coach a chance. I mean either way they are going to have a new coach, whether here or at a different school.
Especially disappointed in Harrar....no other P5 school would have even played him early on in his career....he was awful. Now that he’s improved, he bails on the team that gave him his opportunity to grow.

I’m thinking this has nothing to do with Shrewsberry, as the players leaving haven’t had the time to get to know him. Rather, it’s simply that Shrewsberry isn’t Ferry or Chambers. These kids committed to them. I’m sure they don’t buy into what happened to Chambers and that Ferry wasn’t retained. A part of their transferring is probably a “F*ck you” to Sandy for forcing out their mentors.

Shrewsberry may be a great coach, but he has an uphill battle to start. Next year could be ugly.
Well, let’s be honest - even with these kids we were a sub.500 team and did not even have an NIT bid. If CMS is as good as advertised, tbe rebuild will have some permanency. But patience will be required. And it’s not like we have some Duke/Villanova-type of legacy.

I
Yeah, but the point was that there was no place in the Shrewsberry system for a big playing down low, so if you can't get that right change the subject.
I never said that. But if you need to lie, have at it, it never stopped you before

I

I never said that. But if you need to lie, have at it, it never stopped you before

Lying, no, but nothing has ever stopped me from telling someone to go fvck themselves, so go right ahead.

Well, let’s be honest - even with these kids we were a sub.500 team and did not even have an NIT bid. If CMS is as good as advertised, tbe rebuild will have some permanency. But patience will be required. And it’s not like we have some Duke/Villanova-type of legacy.
Well lets be honest. If we played the full original OOC schedule we would have been over 500 and been in the dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT