ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

Will this be it? I was really hoping the Shrewsberry guy from Perdue would at least get an interview.

Out of the three listed you better go with the one you think has the best basketball style because Pacific, Cleveland State, and Yale aren't big time recruiting schools.

Couple thoughts on the search:

1. Agree with David Jones (can't believe I typed that)....the new coach will be a minority.
2. If the list above is remotely correct Penn State will continue its way of not paying.
3. When it comes to Beilein, see #1-2.

Reactions: Nittany Security2
Of those 3 Dennis Gates probably interests me the most, but none of them really move the needle for me. More of the same.

Excuse me for not knowing this but who is the hottest name possible in this year's coaching carousel regardless of race?

I don't know that any of these candidates have a strong track record of recruiting. That would be a primary thing I'd be looking for. Can they get some strong talent out of DMV, NYC, Philly?

Amazed that Shrewsberry is not on there. Maybe those are only 3 scheduled for now. None great, none awful, but all would be cheap.

I have no expectations that PSU will get the best available. There not interested in fielding and supporting a winning basketball team. So sad and frustrating.

I think they are. Just think that they aren't willing to spend $2mm and up (incrementally) to conduct an experiment to determine if it's financially justified.

Whoever they hire i just hope that they bring in assistants with ties to Philly, DMV and NYC. The most important thing we need from a new coaching staff is recruiting.

Reactions: Fizz1
So you don't think Damon Stoudamire could recruit just about anywhere? Mkay.

Could Avery Johnson? Same NBA pedigree, flamed out at Alabama after a few years. And Avery even coached in the league.

To be honest, not too many high school kids and below even know DS.

Could Avery Johnson? Same NBA pedigree, flamed out at Alabama after a few years. And Avery even coached in the league.

To be honest, not too many high school kids and below even know DS.

So you've polled HS basketball players on name recognition?

I could live with Gates (though, I think he may be a bit unproven to be a high-major HC at this point) or Stoudamire. I gotta believe that Shrewsbury was at least offered an interview too, I doubt this too... he has a pretty big recruit out of Philly for the 2022 class, so he can conceivably at least recruit the area

I still vote for Dawn Staley.

Because...why not?

Proven track record of success
Knows the Philly hoops scene as well as anyone else

She is around $1.5 million per annum at South Carolina.

I think he’s saying we need to have a current NBA superstar who moonlights as our coach.

This is what I know, or think I know:

a. not every basketball coach in the country is beating down PSU's doors for the job; and

b. PSU isn't going to pay a lot of money for a HC.

That puts PSU in the position of taking a calculated risk. You take your shot and hope that Barbour is either better at calculating that I give her credit for or is lucky. Pray for luck.

Congratulations on the win tomorrow night. The rumor is our coach will be sent walking after the season is over. The team is in a five game slide and has not won a single game on the road.

It seems like the only questions are who coaches each team next season, and for Gopher fans, how many points does Carr score?

Based on these guys records, are they any better than Ferry? If we can't do better give Ferry a short contract and see what happens. No one cares anyways apparently.
Yes, they are all better than Ferry.

However, I’m not putting a ton of stock in this twitter account.

Yes, they are all better than Ferry.

However, I’m not putting a ton of stock in this twitter account.

If Barbour's recommendation is to retain Ferry, she ought to be fired. She's not even trying. That, of course, assumes that the Fat Man isn't complicit.

Congratulations on the win tomorrow night. The rumor is our coach will be sent walking after the season is over. The team is in a five game slide and has not won a single game on the road.

It seems like the only questions are who coaches each team next season, and for Gopher fans, how many points does Carr score?
Thanks but you do understand if a team goes to the doctor's office for a prescription to end a losing streak Penn State is what is offered.

Reactions: AWS1022
Based on these guys records, are they any better than Ferry? If we can't do better give Ferry a short contract and see what happens. No one cares anyways apparently.
Much better than Ferry... and have a proven track record of recruiting

Thanks but you do understand if a team goes to the doctor's office for a prescription to end a losing streak Penn State is what is offered.
Ha! Sounds like my Gophers lately. Northwestern was on a 13 game skid. The Gophers helped them right the ship. Missing the 7' center and the best defender (shooting guard/ SF) doesn't help. Both are supposed to be out tomorrow as well. Close the lane and force the team to shoot 3's and it will be over for my Gophers! Hard season. To slide from a ranked team to the bottom and accelerating is hard to watch.

Like PSU, hopefully the new coach can recruit in state and the surrounding states/ BigTen areas.

Reactions: 81b&w
All three are significantly better than Ferry in pretty much every respect. We haven't heard Stoudamire's name, but both Gates and Jones have been connected to Penn State earlier in the hiring process. I think we'd be fine with all three. I think James Jones, in particular, would be the best pure coach we've had here in a few decades.

Ha! Sounds like my Gophers lately. Northwestern was on a 13 game skid. The Gophers helped them right the ship. Missing the 7' center and the best defender (shooting guard/ SF) doesn't help. Both are supposed to be out tomorrow as well. Close the lane and force the team to shoot 3's and it will be over for my Gophers! Hard season. To slide from a ranked team to the bottom and accelerating is hard to watch.

Like PSU, hopefully the new coach can recruit in state and the surrounding states/ BigTen areas.

SO little Rickie Pitino is in trouble there in in Minny?

So you've polled HS basketball players on name recognition?

OK tough guy, I ask 4 classes of college freshman if they know who Damon Stoudimire is tomorrow and get back to you. I will also ask my sons 8th grade friends as well.

ADVERTISEMENT