ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

Anybody would have been an upgrade to that job. The original coach did not have any business running a varsity program in any sport. That was a terrible hire from day one. They gifted a job to someone on the cheap and then found out they couldn't control him like they thought.

True, he sucked and was an arrogant jacka**. That being said, new hire was a home run.

Not uncommon to see an announcement with the qualification of something like "subject to ratification by the board." PSU must have a different procedure...or....

Maybe Sandy will take the “Friday afternoon news dump“ approach. 😁

Still no official announcement?

Franklin was asked about it during his press conference today and he seemed to act like it was a done deal before asking "is it announced yet?" and then was told no so stopped talking about it. Seems legit though just not announced still.

I was hoping for us to interview Anthony Grant back when we hired DeChellis.

Grant is doing just fine where he is at, his alma Mata, U of Dayton Flyers, where my youngest son went to undergrad. Dayton is a basketball town, and Grand is doing a great job there. They lost some head scratchers this season, it seemed mainly due to their lack of inside scoring and as the season went along their opponents realizing that extending the defense to limit UD's 3 point shots was a way to limit their scoring. But when I look at the young guys Grant has recruited play and then look at their recruiting ratings they invariably look much better than their ratings. And he will get another chance to continue his young team in the NIT this coming Saturday.

But I agree that PSU sure could have used a young energetic coach that could identify underappreciated talent and develop players beyond their ratings. Like Obi Toppin.....

Reactions: psrurock
Can't wait to see him get to work, though I suspect he will continue to coach Purdue through the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: pkg5002
PSU got the timing right on this one. Got him before everyone else started to have openings.

Now he has to hire a staff, recruit the current players to stay, and do something about the 2021 class. I wonder if any staff from Purdue will follow him

PSU got the timing right on this one. Got him before everyone else started to have openings.

Now he has to hire a staff, recruit the current players to stay, and do something about the 2021 class. I wonder if any staff from Purdue will follow him
I was thinking the same thing today as the IU and Minnesota news came out.

Kept one big from the class, maybe get a wing freshman if available. Doubt he would look here but Earl Timberlake from U Miami entered the portal. 6'6" wing from MD would help...

Reactions: lunsmooth
Kept one big from the class, maybe get a wing freshman if available. Doubt he would look here but Earl Timberlake from U Miami entered the portal. 6'6" wing from MD would help...

That would help. Maybe some players from IU and Minnesota will be entering the portal soon.

Reactions: bison13
if he can manage to get going with no transfers, or keep it to only one, we will probably have a very strong backcourt next season.

He could get this thing moving rather quickly.

The players were mad about Chambers but they can probably see very clearly that this is an upgrade.

Reactions: bison13
So, I’ve been chatting with the Purdue board for the last several day, initially asking for their thoughts on the Shrewsberry rumor. Now that it’s official, the Purdue fans are talking about the replacement for Shrewsberry. One poster claims to be on some inner circle with Purdue basketball or one of the coaches, and that Shrewsberry may be bringing some other assistant coach along. Speculation was that it is Brandon Brantley, who coaches big men. Honestly, that would be way too good to be true.

He’ll be on the job next Monday.

Only if Purdue loses on Friday or Sunday. Shrewsberry will stay with Purdue through its Tournament run, however long that lasts. However, I assume he'll be working on Penn State in the hours this week when Painter doesn't require Coach Shrews to be working for Purdue.

So, I’ve been chatting with the Purdue board for the last several day, initially asking for their thoughts on the Shrewsberry rumor. Now that it’s official, the Purdue fans are talking about the replacement for Shrewsberry. One poster claims to be on some inner circle with Purdue basketball or one of the coaches, and that Shrewsberry may be bringing some other assistant coach along. Speculation was that it is Brandon Brantley, who coaches big men. Honestly, that would be way too good to be true.

Am guessing he will have several staff in place very quickly, with salaries approved.

Only if Purdue loses on Friday or Sunday. Shrewsberry will stay with Purdue through its Tournament run, however long that lasts. However, I assume he'll be working on Penn State in the hours this week when Painter doesn't require Coach Shrews to be working for Purdue.
Yes you can bet he's going to watch some psu film intermittently between his duties at practice and such for Purdue.

Maybe even make a phone call or two to a couple of 2022 recruits from out this way.

I saw Pat Kelly in the portal but that's old news have any of the freshman said anything at this point?

Congrats on the great hire. As I mentioned up thread, he’s fantastic at offensive X and Os and a really solid recruiter. We knew he’d move on to better things. Just wish we could’ve got him out of the conference. Class act too.
No one is a bigger critic of Sandy and Barron than me, but I have to say that this hire seems to be very solid with a reasonable chance to be great - bravo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT