ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NCAA Wrestling Tournament - Finals Open Thread

The tournament is currently broadcast nationally so we should move it a week so it won't be broadcast nationally.
What good does it do to broadcast it nationally if most folks, other than wrestling die hards, are going to watch basketball? If you put it on ESPNU, ESPN News, or stream it, the wrestling die hards are going to find it.

The also had one wrestler throw 3 places worth of points away and probably 4 bonus points.
Okay. Give "one wrestler" the 4 points difference between placing 3rd and 6th + .5 conso advancement + 2 bonus points (not going to give him your "probably 4" since he didn't pin any one after the first round). Makes your hypothetical not-settled-on-the-mat numbers:

We scored 40 points above our seed points, with 16 bonus points.
Iowa would've-could've scored 14.5 points above their seed points, with 14.5 bonus points.

Still worth noting.

What good does it do to broadcast it nationally if most folks, other than wrestling die hards, are going to watch basketball? If you put it on ESPNU, ESPN News, or stream it, the wrestling die hards are going to find it.
I had a cousin in NC watching, a friend in Lancaster watching, the group I play golf with watching. They are all sports fans, very causal wrestling fans and they watch it because they like to and its easy.

With that said, why in the world when the wrestling community has been selling wrestling to the networks for 40 years with the argument that if you show it the numbers will be there woukd we want to do something to jeopardize the broadcast?

We get on ESPN because of the tournament. Move to a different weekend, and we are off ESPN because of basketball. I fail to see the positive of the proposed move. I can't even believe I am having this discussion with a wrestling fan.

I had a cousin in NC watching, a friend in Lancaster watching, the group I play golf with watching. They are all sports fans, very causal wrestling fans and they watch it because they like to and its easy.

With that said, why in the world when the wrestling community has been selling wrestling to the networks for 40 years with the argument that if you show it the numbers will be there woukd we want to do something to jeopardize the broadcast?

We get on ESPN because of the tournament. Move to a different weekend, and we are off ESPN because of basketball. I fail to see the positive of the proposed move. I can't even believe I am having this discussion with a wrestling fan.
I have found exactly the opposite with respect to watching wrestling vs basketball. I guess our anectodal evidence cancels each other out.

The NCAA tourney is the CBB equivalent of the Super Bowl. Just from a common sense perspective, does it sound like a good idea to put up programming against the Super Bowl? And I would be willing to meet you halfway, pull it in two weeks or push it out two weeks, but regardless, get it away from THE sporting event of the spring.

Reactions: Ski
Okay now that I've thought about it I do have a gripe about this season thanks to Carter Starocci. I can't believe we didn't even get ten minutes of watching guys win in the finals thanks to him and his stupid pin.

Any truth to the rumor that Tom Brands is writing a book about Spencer's last year? They say it's a real page-turner but they can't come up with a title.
I already ordered 2 copies from the 1-800 number. NO EXCUSES-HOW INJURIES & ILLNESS DERAILED THE GOAT’S QUEST TO BECOME A 4 TIMER
Forward by Irunburd
Extra Large print editions available for people who may have had something crazy happen to their glasses.

Last edited:
Newest off-season trend - Iowa fans convincing themselves that Carter quitting college career after 3 years.

Several holding out hope on Twitter. Good luck with that
The scary thing is that the Olympics are his goal but the NCAAs are just something he's gonna do. He literally doesn't see a challenge for himself over the next couple years.

He did make it sound like the Olympics were his goal next year and then moving on but seems odd in the days of NIL to give up the chance to be a 4 timer and possibly the one and only 5 timer

Was he Touched by a Lying Traitor to Democracy....or.......the next Re-President? "Merica needs to figure this one out for our future.....and fast. I'll play him in a game of Chess for all the marbles :). I know he claims to be a genius.....but I'll do my best :)

Have you thought about getting treatment for your TDS and not spewing it here?

I have found exactly the opposite with respect to watching wrestling vs basketball. I guess our anectodal evidence cancels each other out.

The NCAA tourney is the CBB equivalent of the Super Bowl. Just from a common sense perspective, does it sound like a good idea to put up programming against the Super Bowl? And I would be willing to meet you halfway, pull it in two weeks or push it out two weeks, but regardless, get it away from THE sporting event of the spring.
The problem remains moving it knocks it off TV. Not going to happen.

Guessing our anecdotal evidence cancels each other out only applies if you know factually people would watch the wrestling tournament if it wasn't competing against the tournament, yet was much harder to watch.

A completely wrong assumption you make is if it was harder to watch the tournament just as many people would watch.

Last edited:
Newest off-season trend - Iowa fans convincing themselves that Carter quitting college career after 3 years.

Several holding out hope on Twitter. Good luck with that
My opinion only but I think Carter learned marketing a bit from Gable. Gable frequently teased he was done after 2021. Carter knows ESPN is a national audience and saying "Beating up college kids means nothing to me now, time to win some Olympic Golds and UFC Titles" He's made numerous references to returning to college, including when he told Flo his plan was 4 titles, Olympic Gold and done and then he told Gabe Arnold "if you can kiss enough butt and get into the lineup next year, I'll take care of you in front of your parents"

I'm pretty sure Carter is well aware how special 4 titles are. He just saw Yianni do it but .... to have a chance to do it SIDE BY SIDE with AB!? Now listen, could they both Olympic Redshirt? For sure they could and maybe we'll punt as a result but I can't see him walking away from that. Now going for 5 assuming he wins 4? I can see him not being interested in that. It's cool to be the "only" one but I think he's aware it might not do much for your legacy to do something that might not truly separate you because does anyone doubt most of the 4 timers could have won if they came back the year after they won 4 and wrestled again? That I can see him being iffy on after winning 4.

I agree the date can't be moved. What I'd really like is the location moved to Vegas, Phoenix or LA. I have absolutely no self interest in wishing this.

My opinion only but I think Carter learned marketing a bit from Gable. Gable frequently teased he was done after 2021. Carter knows ESPN is a national audience and saying "Beating up college kids means nothing to me now, time to win some Olympic Golds and UFC Titles" He's made numerous references to returning to college, including when he told Flo his plan was 4 titles, Olympic Gold and done and then he told Gabe Arnold "if you can kiss enough butt and get into the lineup next year, I'll take care of you in front of your parents"

I'm pretty sure Carter is well aware how special 4 titles are. He just saw Yianni do it but .... to have a chance to do it SIDE BY SIDE with AB!? Now listen, could they both Olympic Redshirt? For sure they could and maybe we'll punt as a result but I can't see him walking away from that. Now going for 5 assuming he wins 4? I can see him not being interested in that. It's cool to be the "only" one but I think he's aware it might not do much for your legacy to do something that might not truly separate you because does anyone doubt most of the 4 timers could have won if they came back the year after they won 4 and wrestled again? That I can see him being iffy on after winning 4.

Let's say that he does. Cael reloaded after David Taylor, after Quentin Wright, after Ed Ruth, after Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Mark Hall, Vincenzo Joseph and Bo Nickal left in short order...

I note that Carter didn't take off many matches this year (any?). I think he really loves it.

Well.... We know the lord doesn't love all our wrestlers equally. Which kinda sucks.
Sarcasm noted, but the Lord’s love isn’t displayed through our winning and losing, but how He shapes us through those. AB was given an opportunity to bring Him glory, he used it. Kerk will be grown and shaped into a better man/wrestler by his experience also giving God glory

Sarcasm noted, but the Lord’s love isn’t displayed through our winning and losing, but how He shapes us through those. AB was given an opportunity to bring Him glory, he used it. Kerk will be grown and shaped into a better man/wrestler by his experience also giving God glory
Woof. Okay. Okay.

Assuming Carter and Aaron wrestle (but maybe limited matches) next year:

PSU returns two 3-time champs, two runner-ups at weights where the champs they lost to graduated, a 3rd placer where the champ he lost to graduated, and another 3rd placer. Also return a wrestler that was a 13-seed as a freshman, a hopefully finally healthy former R16 wrestler with freshman eligibility. And a wrestler whose only losses were in SV to the 3rd placer and the 7 seed (can Evans make 133 again?).

I sure hope its not a "punt" year.

Does anyone have footage of the trophy ceremony last night. I can't believe ESPN wouldn't show any of it.

And maybe some of Byers calls that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm with nitlion6 here, don't mess with a good thing. We've been hearing "grow the sport" for at least a decade now. I'm fine with newcomers joining in our fun, but I think it's silly to think wrestling is ever going to be more than a niche sport here in the U.S. I think it's positioned in the the perfect spot calendar-wise. I know for me personally, you push it out 2-4 weeks and it becomes all that much harder to dedicate 3 days to watching, especially rounds 1-3 and the medal round when spring sports are up and running and the outside chores are mounting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT