ADVERTISEMENT

Football Michigan defeats Penn State, 24-15

Way too many bubble screens that rarely work without a blocker. In my memory they haven't worked since Bobby Engram who could make the first defender miss.
No, we talking about a true screen pass to a running back, like the kind that Ohio State usually destroys us with most years. Our bubble screen game is MIA also, as you state.

For those of you younger PSU fans. This program was a very competitive program with the elite programs in college football in the distant past. Teams used to have to play their best to beat us. Our QBs were not four and five stars but were mear game managers. We played sound fundamental football had great RB and the coaches seldom made bad decision when managing a game. JF has done what sanctions couldn’t. He has made this program irrelevant on the national stage. I’ve never seen a worse offense in blue and white. I long for the good old days.
IOWA 6. PSU 4. But in big games games this is a close second.

She just continued to show, at PSU, the mediocrity that marked her tenure at Cal. PSU succeeded in spite of her, not because of her.
Yep. After hearing of her time at Cal from you and others I can’t believe she was even considered, much less chosen.

Not banging on him - it's only his first year starting, but Drew has to play lightyears better than that if we're going to win that type of game. He had a really bad game - even on the flair passes, he was so inaccurate that the receivers had to go to great efforts just to catch the ball, had zero momentum in the direction the play was supposed to go and the defense had tons of time to adjust to what is supposed to be a "quick hitter".
He was god awful

Amen. This is why it was beyond stupid to go for 2 in the first half, and then try to recover that with another failed 2 in the second half. These are basic coaching errors rivaling the time management issues of a few years ago.
The 2-point try in the first half may not have been dumb. He probably knew we were going to have trouble scoring again. Going for 2 down 24-15 was dumb. Going for it around your own 30 with plenty of time left was dumb.

Franklin isn't going anywhere right now unless he decides to. If he does and we are serious about winning we need to throw a Brinks truck at DeBoer, Leipold, or even Chris Petersen if he could be lured out of retirement. DeBoer would be my pick. He coaches with guts.

Yep. After hearing of her time at Cal from you and others I can’t believe she was even considered, much less chosen.
PSU was coming off the Sandusky fiasco and the Board of Trustees wanted to bring in someone who would help in presenting a clean and non-controversial image. She was a female, fairly well connected (she was an assistant AD at Notre Dame prior to coming to Cal), and came from a school which was good academically but non-competitive athletically (in part because the Cal administration would never extend itself to provide the kind of support needed to truly compete in intercollegiate athletics). Problem was, she was not very competent or charismatic. And she was afraid about making the big decisions (such as hiring a football coach or mens' basketball coach), so administrators KNEW she would seek their input and consent on such decisions, rather than going off the reservation and taking initiative on her own.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psu00
I am going to go ahead and watch the press conference.
I don't know how Franklin maintained his composure at that postgame press conference. Particularly after the exchange with the male reporter who challenged him on the second two point conversion attempt. I thought that attempted two point conversion was a mistake, but the reporter went well over the line, IMHO, with his questions and comments.

PSU was coming off the Sandusky fiasco and the Board of Trustees wanted to bring in someone who would help in presenting a clean and non-controversial image. She was a female, fairly well connected (she was an assistant AD at Notre Dame prior to coming to Cal), and came from a school which was good academically but non-competitive athletically (in part because the Cal administration would never extend itself to provide the kind of support needed to truly compete in intercollegiate athletics). Problem was, she was not very competent or charismatic. And she was afraid about making the big decisions (such as hiring a football coach or mens' basketball coach), so administrators KNEW she would seek their input and consent on such decisions, rather than going off the reservation and taking initiative on her own.
There was another reason they hired her.

There was another - don’t try to sugar coat the fact that she checked boxes.
Heh heh heh. He said “boxes”

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT