ADVERTISEMENT

Football Indiana / Penn State Game Thread

Maryland has lost to Illinois and Northwestern. They're not a threat to beat us. Locksley is one of the worst game day coaches in the country. He makes Franklin look elite.

Reactions: m.knox and olelion
Franklin flat out sucks as a game day coach. He's responsible for his OC and DC. Resilient, my ass. His act is so old, we've seen the same shit for 10 years. His team didn't come to play. That's an embarrassment, and its on him.

Maryland has lost to Illinois and Northwestern. They're not a threat to beat us. Locksley is one of the worst game day coaches in the country. He makes Franklin look elite.
Maryland was tied with OSU until 2 minutes in the 3rd qtr. The have enough talent to beat us if we play like we did today.

Reactions: JoePano19 and psu00
Maryland was tied with OSU until 2 minutes in the 3rd qtr. The have enough talent to beat us if we play like we did today.
Yeah, they can hang around but the end result will be the same
Do you think Locksley can win a big game?

Joe Moorhead; If he hadn't given CJF a decent offense for those couple of years, he would have been gone a few years back.

I don't understand why people think Moorhead's offense was so special. Perhaps relative to what it replaced. As Penn State fans, it was something new, but that's it.

The real difference: Barkley, Godwin, Gesicki, Hamilton, and a quarterback in McSorley that forced the defense to respect the quarterback run.

With that group we could get by with marginal blocking, and even with a quarterback that struggled to throw the deep ball. We would just out-jump the DBs on passes that resembled a punt.

Franklin loved it. Kept stats on "explosive plays." But it could not work without special personnel. It would surely not work with the group we are fielding in 2023.

The people Moorhead had in receivers and in a running back could make Allar look like Aaron Rodgers. Allar would have the confidence to just get it in the vicinity and there would be a really good chance for a completion. There was no way they could double cover and still deal with the running threat posed by Barkley and McSorley. They could do it with an OL that clearly had some weak links. But the key was in having a scrappy QB who could scramble and run, while completing passes on the backs of receivers able to beat single coverage.

I don't understand why people think Moorhead's offense was so special. Perhaps relative to what it replaced. As Penn State fans, it was something new, but that's it.

The real difference: Barkley, Godwin, Gesicki, Hamilton, and a quarterback in McSorley that forced the defense to respect the quarterback run.

With that group we could get by with marginal blocking, and even with a quarterback that struggled to throw the deep ball. We would just out-jump the DBs on passes that resembled a punt.

Franklin loved it. Kept stats on "explosive plays." But it could not work without special personnel. It would surely not work with the group we are fielding in 2023.

The people Moorhead had in receivers and in a running back could make Allar look like Aaron Rodgers. Allar would have the confidence to just get it in the vicinity and there would be a really good chance for a completion. There was no way they could double cover and still deal with the running threat posed by Barkley and McSorley. They could do it with an OL that clearly had some weak links. But the key was in having a scrappy QB who could scramble and run, while completing passes on the backs of receivers able to beat single coverage.
So when it works, it’s the players…when it doesn’t, it’s the coaching. Wow, that covers your bases doesn’t it?

Reactions: psu skp
So when it works, it’s the players…when it doesn’t, it’s the coaching. Wow, that covers your bases doesn’t it?

Moorhead hasn't exactly produced great offenses since his departure from PSU. I think it is safe to say he did have some players at PSU.

Moorhead hasn't exactly produced great offenses since his departure from PSU. I think it is safe to say he did have some players at PSU.
Yes he did…so I guess last year’s 11-2 record and the Rose Bowl was all because of Franklin and the coaching staff.

Good analysis, Knight.

The opposition had caught up to JoMo by the time he left.

The slow-developing, deep-in-the-backfield running attack doesn't work in the end. It never has.

Nothing against Joe, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire after becoming a head coach at a big-time SEC program.

Now, several years later, our 2023 team badly needs new formations and an edge game. As things stand at the moment, we're making premier talents like Singleton look ordinary and slow with a rushing offense that has echoes of Moorhead.

Reactions: ram2020
Good analysis, Knight.

The opposition had caught up to JoMo by the time he left.

The slow-developing, deep-in-the-backfield running attack doesn't work in the end. It never has.

Nothing against Joe, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire after becoming a head coach at a big-time SEC program.

Now, several years later, our 2023 team badly needs new formations and an edge game. As things stand at the moment, we're making premier talents like Singleton look ordinary and slow with a rushing offense that has echoes of Moorhead.

True. New formations, something I expected last week.

I think we could do without all of the pre-snap shifting, which fools nobody. Run the play onto the field. Call the play in the huddle. Line up. Send men in motion. Execute. Minds are not as busy. There isn't as much to learn, which means the capacity of the players could be utilized for new stuff.

I feel rather certain that such an approach would help Allar. He is literally not seeing the field as he scans it. That is messed up.

I don't understand why our coaches cannot see what seems obvious to casual fans. This looks like the Moorhead offense, but without the essential parts -- receivers that are going to beat man coverage, and a dual threat QB. A pro-style QB would be fine but our OL is still not a strength. It's not a good fit for our personnel.

You are correct in saying that we have no "edge game," which reminds me so much of the Moorhead years. His offense was predicated on receivers and QB making the same read. It was like a read-passing attack with read option runs and an occasional RPO mixed in, but no edge game. It usually worked because we had a dual threat QB, surrounded by superstars. But it did not always work. We needed those "explosive" jump-ball downfield receptions. Sometimes we came up empty against good cover defenses. Sometimes we played with a banged up quarterback. That is the price you pay. Different personnel require a different strategy.

I don't think we are doing the same types of read-based passing today, and it wouldn't matter anyway, since we rarely beat anyone in man coverage, and that has left our QB unable to see receivers that do happen to break free.

I did expect an "edge game" against OSU, given that we were not going to beat their coverage. I expected that Potts would see the field, being a little quicker and a better receiver than the others. I expected new stuff to sustain drives, beyond the three "trick plays" intended to shorten the field.

Today we saw a tight end curl work for a completion. That play is something I expected to see last week when it really counted. In that game we ran some plays that were good calls but had the wrong personnel. Result: Dropped passes. It's as if we don't play to our strengths and ignore our weaknesses.

To summarize, in my view, we were not prepared last week, and I pin that on the coaching staff. We did not suit a game plan to our players. This week we looked lackluster at times, probably deflated by last week. The players realize that we now have little shot at making the playoffs. Even NY6 could be tough.

Haven’t yet read thru the thread (was at the game), but curious if anyone has watched the wide receivers enough to know if they are struggling with blocking and if that is affecting the run game. There was one play tonight where I watched the replay on the video screen and noted KLS seemed to not be blocking anyone as the RB ran into the area in which he was and got tackled.

Reactions: lazydave841
Haven’t yet read thru the thread (was at the game), but curious if anyone has watched the wide receivers enough to know if they are struggling with blocking and if that is affecting the run game. There was one play tonight where I watched the replay on the video screen and noted KLS seemed to not be blocking anyone as the RB ran into the area in which he was and got tackled.

You're not imagining anything. I doubt if any of them have watched film of Hines Ward, but they should.

Blocking as a whole is down. WRs. TEs. OL. No threat of the QB run hurts 1/3 to 1/2 our runs. Incompetence and defensive focus the other.

Is Wallace out for the season maybe? Broken collarbone, separated shoulder? Nevertheless, probably misses Mich game. I hope he makes a full recovery and comes back strong. With that said. was he really contributing anything?

The delayed hand off to Nicholas have screwed the WR and OL...
Can't stop saying it.

BY the way…Is anyone listening to Ham and JOnes? How critical is Ham being? He’s pretty honest
I always do…because of his honesty….and I don’t want to listen to the other idiots. I was involved with the alumni club in Atlanta for 20+ years. I absolutely love sitting on my couch and timing it up with Jones and Ham!

Franklin flat out sucks as a game day coach. He's responsible for his OC and DC. Resilient, my ass. His act is so old, we've seen the same shit for 10 years. His team didn't come to play. That's an embarrassment, and its on him.
Was CJF out recruiting again on Friday night?

Surest money in all of sports. Betting against Penn State the week after their first loss.

No one circles the wagons (as badly) as James Franklin.

INDIANA! INDIANA! INDIANA! INDIANA! INDIANA! What a joke...

• Haha
Reactions: Psubiomed and psu00
Woah. Ya'll are missing the headline here. Nothing but six pages of garbage since imo. Mary not only correctly identified our CURRENT offensive coordinator, she spelled his name right! 🤣 I kid Mary, I kid. Love ya. Hope you are doing well!
Well, 106. They did throw deep and also over the middle so I'll let him keep his job.

Reactions: NedFromYork
True, but winners win, even when the play crappy. I am glad to see some overcomer in these kids.
..and losers post useless childish vitriol of no value to anyone. I, like you, enjoy watching a young team mature and overcome mistakes.

... you can fire Mr fire every PSU coach by pressing one button. It will make your reading experience here much more enjoyable and worthwhile. I highly recommend it. Have a great Sunday.

..and losers post useless childish vitriol of no value to anyone. I, like you, enjoy watching a young team mature and overcome mistakes.

... you can fire Mr fire every PSU coach by pressing one button. It will make your reading experience here much more enjoyable and worthwhile. I highly recommend it. Have a great Sunday.
God bless you. You are forever ignored. I have no room for people who go out of their way to insult me
LMAOROFL

Last edited:
God bless you. You are forever ignored. I have no room for people who go out of their way to insult me
LMAOROFL
I am a terrible fan during Lions game broadcasts. Wanting Yurcich fired is not vitriol. Foul mouthed name calling and words of hate are vitriol. Going out of your way to be a dip spit is not vitriol either but nothing you should be proud of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT