ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Live Thread: Penn State vs. Nebraska

Kerkvliet finishes the match strongly with a takedown in short time. Whatever the issue, he's not got a four weeks before he needs to actually wrestle a match again.

I like Michael and think he’s very talented. Unfortunately he deserved to lose that one. Gave up that escape with a little time left in the first period, and then got ridden the whole second period. He needs to clean those things up if he’s going to ever be an All American.
He was AA last year!!

His head was in the mat the entire second period. Hard to argue with the two stall calls in second. On the third stall call, he did just walk him out. I know he had two TDs, but when I think about three stall calls against him, it’s hard to say not warranted.
The problem was hitting him with the stall call with no verbal count. He definitely counted to five with the one leg before calling the stall. I think Beard got flustered after the stall call and walked him off the mat. If the ref is calling a stall based on a 5 count on the leg, he should count it out for the wrestlers to hear.

Yea, those matches are not nearly as close as the score - Hildie has dominated many of them. However, the flipside of that is that he's struggled to bonus guys he's thoroughly dominated because he has very little Neutral Offense - this lack of Neutral Offense also makes it very difficult to control matches against top 125 lbers.
yes, you're describing why he's never been a top 125 (minus last year when the weight was missing most of its top talent). he's a perennial 5-15 type guy with little bonus potential. his highest bonus rate was was 44 on a MAC schedule and the majority of those were against guys outside the top 75 on wrestlestat. just not who he is, but he's a huge and important upgrade for you guys from last year.

Reactions: gptakba
Kerk continuing was a good sign. Hopefully it was just a cramp, those can feel like the end of the world but you're fine later. Either way, I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of backups against Rider.

Reactions: mcpat
Only Penn State gets screwed by officials at home.
That is what makes me crazy. In Iowa they get tons of calls by pressuring the ref constantly with inane calls for stalling. Why does it seem we get hosed at home? I always believed it was an issue with just Rivera but with Rodney Ruxin from The League on the mat today it might have actually been worse.

Kerk continuing or forfeiting?
Hamstring strain while taking a big step during a level change. Impacted his movement for the last 50 seconds as he babied it, but he still went and got a takedown.

Nothing some rest and treatment won’t handle - fortunately we’ve got a month until the bullets really fly

Reactions: okinburg1 and Grass
The problem was hitting him with the stall call with no verbal count. He definitely counted to five with the one leg before calling the stall. I think Beard got flustered after the stall call and walked him off the mat. If the ref is calling a stall based on a 5 count on the leg, he should count it out for the wrestlers to hear.
Not only is it supposed to be verbal, but the way the rule is written it’s supposed to stop when both wrestlers come to their feet.

Reactions: PSU James and mcpat
Its very hard to criticize out coaching staff after so much success. But to look for one thing…I think they two often take the traditional “I choose down” option. If Beard goes neutral in second period he wins that match. Have seen that a few times this year with other matches. All the way back to Molinaro v Dake (although that was apparently Frank’s call). I see it all the time in high school. A kid is competitive on his feet and then chooses down and gets destroyed. I get having faith in the guy’s ability to get out but it seems a throwback to when there was no option to take neutral. Even in a match like Brooks when he is putting on takedown clinic…why go underneath and kill some clock? I just dont get it.

Well that was a mental lapse on Beard, I have no problem with the stall calls they were warranted based on the rules
Thank you.

I love Beard, but he was clearly gassed most of the match.
- Head down on the mat and doing nothing most of the 2nd period = 2 stall calls.
- Holding leg in standing position without an effort to return opponent to mat = 3rd stall call.
- Pushing guy OOB to get a restart = 4th stall call.

I imagine #3 had some influence on the judgment made in #4, but it is still a valid call.

Only Penn State gets screwed by officials at home.
Which equates to a huge advantage at the NCAA tournament. Iowa gets calls in BIG duals that they are not going to get at the NCAA. I would rather my guys have to earn every point during the season instead of being gifted stuff half of the year. Push and get a point strategy works all year, but no point for that crap when it actually matters thus hurting a certain team and a certain bovine in particular.

Its very hard to criticize out coaching staff after so much success. But to look for one thing…I think they two often take the traditional “I choose down” option. If Beard goes neutral in second period he wins that match. Have seen that a few times this year with other matches. All the way back to Molinaro v Dake (although that was apparently Frank’s call). I see it all the time in high school. A kid is competitive on his feet and then chooses down and gets destroyed. I get having faith in the guy’s ability to get out but it seems a throwback to when there was no option to take neutral. Even in a match like Brooks when he is putting on takedown clinic…why go underneath and kill some clock? I just dont get it.
And he’s gonna get better by running away from his weakness?

Reactions: Dogwelder and mcpat
Thank you.

- Head down on the mat and doing nothing most of the 2nd period = 2 stall calls.
- Holding leg in standing position without an effort to return opponent to mat = 3rd stall call.

I imagine #3 had some influence on the judgment made in #4, but it is still a valid call.
Which is fine in a vacuum, but when it’s not called that way the rest of the dual you wonder why it’s suddenly being called left and right. And to clarify, I don’t think it’s bias, I just think it’s bad.

Thank you.

100% correct.

Reactions: Thenightking

Not only is it supposed to be verbal, but the way the rule is written it’s supposed to stop when both wrestlers come to their feet.

I didn’t see the ref signal a count. I think the stall call was of the variety that is standard for not trying to return the opponent to the mat — not the “hanging-on-leg” call that is supposed to trigger a formal count.

Just when I thought big ten officiating couldn't get any worse, this clown says "hold my beer". Embarrassing. Beard is better than the #3 guy in the nation.

No joke. BTW, this is the same clown that reffed the Michigan match and called the ESC in the Starocci-Massa match followed by a takedown by Starocci.... then Michigan throws a challenge brick they didn't actually have.... then this Bozo stops match and when told by 2nd Official Michigan doesn't have a Coach's Challenge left, he then says it will be an Official's Review whereupon he reverses his call despite replay showing his calls (an escape followed by takedown) quite clearly.

Also, how was it not stalling on Schultz when he failed to return Beard during final 10 seconds of 2nd Period and just hung on him? His calls are so wildly inconsistent it's ridiculous - he effectively determined the outcome with his calls canceling out all off the actual offensive points scored in the match. The Ref's stall call on Schultz with precisely 1 second left (who took zero shots in some 5 minutes of Neutral Wrestling) was a particularly lame call after his earlier joke stalling calls - demonstrates what an f'ing complete tool he is to make a call like that with one second remaining to attempt to make himself look better (i.e., more impartial) rather than consider that he just stole a match result from the wrestler who had the only two offensive scores in the match.

I always thought it is a “you need to be good at getting out from bottom “ thing during most duals.

Reactions: mcpat
I like Michael and think he’s very talented. Unfortunately he deserved to lose that one. Gave up that escape with a little time left in the first period, and then got ridden the whole second period. He needs to clean those things up if he’s going to ever be an All American.
He is already an All-American.

looks like Kerk pulled a hammy! Didn't look too serious. Lots of time to recover. This official was just as bad as Angel! Grossly inconsistent with his stall calls!!!

Reactions: creamery freak
Beard is big and has a lot of muscle and size for the weight class. It helps us to understand why he is often given to some tiredness as the match progresses. Dean is small for the weight and usually doesn't gas. Just sayin'

I understand you can score and stall, Beard did not stall that many times. You will never convince me he did.
He should have been called once in the second, and twice while standing there holding the leg doing nothing then actually walking him OOB. I doubt we will see it called like it was again, but 3 of the stall calls were spot on. At least as they should be called.

Reactions: kingslayer_85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT