ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Live Thread: Penn State vs. Nebraska

Thanks for the commentary. WRT HWT, as long as Kerk is 2 or 3 at B1G's he's good; just don't want to be the 4.

Seeing as though his conference duals schedule is now complete, he will be the 3 seed at B10s.

125: DH looks awesome! Ref sucks! Can’t believe that call! Nice W!

133: RBY is awesome! GBY (Grandpa Bravo Young) better go to Big Tens and Nationals! Great W!

141: Nick Lee is awesome! Bogus stall call! Nick Lee is incongruent with stalling! Nice W!

149: Beau is awesome! He’ll be awesome at 141 next year! Ref hates us! Too bad about the L.

157: BearClaw is awesome! Almost gets the late TD! Too bad about the L.

165: Edsell is awesome! Great double boots! Nice W!

174: Manville is awesome (at Greco Roman in particular)! Tough loss to highly ranked guy!

184: Brooks is Awesome! He’ll never lose again! Not even at tic tac toe or rock-paper-scissors! Nice W!

197: Beard is awesome! He gets two TDs against #3! Loses on 3 escapes and 765 stall calls. Tough L!

HWT: Kerk is awesome! His hamstring is hanging in a blob outside his leg and he still gets another TD! Nice W!

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat
Development of wrestlers. Nick Lee's last HS match was a loss to Chad Red. In college Nick is 4-0 against Red and has finished higher at NCAAs every year,

Aaron Rodgers only loss in college was to Taylor Venz. He is now 2-0 ( I think) against Venz with a fall in the 2020 BIG semis and a major decision today. Guess Cael, Codaym, and Casey know what they are doing. :)

JMHO

63e056b4d4b00ef1c9c34c8861777436.gif

285 - No point in saying a lot here other than I'm interested in how they seed this at BIGs. Kerk beat Parris, Cass beat Kerk, nobody beat Gable, Gable beat Cass and Parris, Parris vs Cass and Gable vs Kerk wasn't scheduled. To me, I think it should go 1. Gable, 2. Kerk, 3. Cass, 4. Parris. I know Cass beat Kerk but also got pinned by an unranked wrestler. With all of their in conference records being relatively equal, that should come in to play.
The head-to-head of Kerk versus Cass will determine seeding of those two, as it should. So at B1Gs Cass will be #2 seed and Kerk #3 seed. Fortunately, I makes no difference in this case.

Reactions: mcpat
Just watched AB’s match.

The diversity of attacks (outside trip, a la QW?) was pretty amazing.

Reactions: okinburg1
Development of wrestlers. Nick Lee's last HS match was a loss to Chad Red. In college Nick is 4-0 against Red and has finished higher at NCAAs every year,

Aaron Rodgers only loss in college was to Taylor Venz. He is now 2-0 ( I think) against Venz with a fall in the 2020 BIG semis and a major decision today. Guess Cael, Codaym, and Casey know what they are doing. :)

JMHO
I hear Shailene Woodley is beating him in the room.

Its very hard to criticize out coaching staff after so much success. But to look for one thing…I think they two often take the traditional “I choose down” option. If Beard goes neutral in second period he wins that match. Have seen that a few times this year with other matches. All the way back to Molinaro v Dake (although that was apparently Frank’s call). I see it all the time in high school. A kid is competitive on his feet and then chooses down and gets destroyed. I get having faith in the guy’s ability to get out but it seems a throwback to when there was no option to take neutral. Even in a match like Brooks when he is putting on takedown clinic…why go underneath and kill some clock? I just dont get it.
yea its stupid to take down when your good on your feet!

I understand you can score and stall, Beard did not stall that many times. You will never convince me he did.
You are corect! I will say this, Beard is a STRONG MAN! He was outmuscling Schultz all over the place! The matches between him and Max in the room must be legendary!

Rough weekend for Beau but love seeing that big smile on his face. I see that as a very good thing. Have to have a short memory, put those losses behind him and grind on!
If Beau wasn't wrestling in Big Ten his record would be very good against the average college kid. B10 is a meat grinder for a kid up one weight. His lack of length doesn't allow him to create any leverage to finish some of his moves.
There is a this thought in my mind wondering how Nick would of done at 149 and Beau at 141.

If Beau wasn't wrestling in Big Ten his record would be very good against the average college kid. B10 is a meat grinder for a kid up one weight. His lack of length doesn't allow him to create any leverage to finish some of his moves.
There is a this thought in my mind wondering how Nick would of done at 149 and Beau at 141.
His record is looking a lot like Molinaro’s first year. I see a national champion contender coming. He’s got 3 more years and at a weight better suited for him.

It wasn't a five count. It was because he was doing nothing with it. He was just standing there. At least pretend you are trying to put him back on the mat.
Schultz could also have acted like he was trying to get away and but at that moment, he wasn’t doing anything either except looking at the ref.

Reactions: hlstone
That was a very long… but very well written post. For folks scared to read it for its length… it was worth it. :)

He’s been posting some great stuff this season. It’s like he came out of nowhere. Quickly becoming a board MVP.

Yes, he does a great job. He walks the tightrope with critiquing our wrestlers without going negative and also not going too homery.
Appreciate the kind words. I've viewed a lot of boards for as long as I can remember. Became a member a few years back and never really posted much. I think I stepped it up when I was unable to coach due to job relocation. I then figured I would just ref, so I got certified, but the amount of meetings and everything else involved was more than I anticipated and once again, due to work, something had to give. Since I like my family to eat, work won and wrestling took a back seat.

I have since got a new job, and rarely miss watching a PSU match and keep up to date on local high school results. Would definitely like to watch more PSU matches in person, but I do have subscriptions to the media that carry their matches.

As other coaches know, its sometimes hard to walk that line of critiquing wrestlers (especially high school kids) without breaking their spirits. You have to get to know the wrestler individually to know how much they can take while still using positive reinforcement. Every one on the PSU roster is still a kid. I figure some of them occasionally may scroll through the board. I try to be honest, but as I've stated in many posts appreciate effort. At this level, the effort is almost always there, and Cael and CO do a fantastic job of getting guys that even when outmatched, do what they can.

I don't think my passion for the sport will ever go away. I don't post for likes, just for general conversation. I'm not big on arguing through a keyboard, but will defend my own views on how wrestlers did, overall matches, etc. I really only post here, yet have occasionally posted on HR. I've been lurking long enough to know who I can generate intelligent conversations with and who to avoid. I have yet to ignore anyone on either board, as I believe you can learn something from everyone, even if its what NOT to do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and even if someone is coming off like a jackass, somewhere in the post they may make a valid point.

I look forward to doing one more dual breakdown, and I will try to do one for each session of the tournaments. The time to shine is getting closer and our guys will be ready as usual.

WE ARE!

Schultz could also have acted like he was trying to get away and but at that moment, he wasn’t doing anything either except looking at the ref.
As the bottom wrestler Shultz had gotten to his feet (foot), top man needs to be attempting to bring bottom man back to mat.
Very rarely is this called properly, but today it was.

Reactions: WildTurk
As the bottom wrestler Shultz had gotten to his feet (foot), top man needs to be attempting to bring bottom man back to mat.
Very rarely is this called properly, but today it was.
Oh. I know the rule Nit and yes called properly. But it remains goofy in that neither guy was doing anything for several seconds. It was like a middle school dance but the wallflowers were actually in contact.

Oh. I know the rule Nit and yes called properly. But it remains goofy in that neither guy was doing anything for sever seconds. It was like a middle school dance but the wallflowers were actually in contact.
I was pretty certain you knew the rule, but the post left a smidgen of doubt.

Reactions: RandyL
That’s because we have a knowledgeable fan base. We don’t have an entire crowd of deranged lunatics, constantly calling for a fake stall call. Personally, I much prefer our fan base and atmosphere.
I didn’t advocate that we start being deranged, cow-****ing lunatics 😀. I would simply like some home-mat advantage or at least not to be actively hosed at home.

I didn’t advocate that we start being deranged, cow-****ing lunatics 😀. I would simply like some home-mat advantage or at least not to be actively hosed at home.
I was at the match and thought the ref was very inconsistent. He was willing to call stall on top position which I have no problem with. But then chose to be very inconsistent on stall calls on guys in bottom position. There are guidelines refs are to follow on stalling, but the eye test is the best tool in calling stall on bottom guy.
I hate the stall call on bottom wrestler when it's 3rd period, top guy got his legs in working a half hearted half. What is bottom guy supposed to do, he's gassed and literally can't improve.
Where stalling needs to be called more is on top guy when all he is doing is parallel riding with little thought of improving for a pin.
The Iowa match did not have the a lot action because ref allowed too much parallel riding on both teams. Warner does absolutely nothing from top position against any good wrestler and he doesn't get called.

Reactions: Ski
All you want from any ref/ump in any sport is consistency. In baseball, if the ump is giving the pitcher a borderline low strike, you want them to make the same call in the first, fourth and ninth innings and for both teams. The players will adjust if this is the case.

The problem with this ref yesterday was that he was wildly inconsistent. I prefer aggressive stall calls, but this guy was all over the place, alternating between aggressive and lenient calls from matchup to matchup, situation to situation and team to to team. That was the problem yesterday and Cael suggested as much in the press conference afterward.

All you want from any ref/ump in any sport is consistency. In baseball, if the ump is giving the pitcher a borderline low strike, you want them to make the same call in the first, fourth and ninth innings and for both teams. The players will adjust if this is the case.

The problem with this ref yesterday was that he was wildly inconsistent. I prefer aggressive stall calls, but this guy was all over the place, alternating between aggressive and lenient calls from matchup to matchup, situation to situation and team to to team. That was the problem yesterday and Cael suggested as much in the press conference afterward..
Agree with most of this. Judgment calls are often subjective and I can live with that. As a High School and College official for over 30 years (not wrestling), what I thought I saw from my seat yesterday was a bit of ego from a veteran official creep into the decisions. Even the best officials are put in situations where you have to make a number of close judgment calls that will inevitably be questioned. But when you let your ego (or pride) enter the equation, then it compounds judgment issues; and then things get dicey, and often inconsistent. I know this because it's happened to me.

I was at the match and thought the ref was very inconsistent. He was willing to call stall on top position which I have no problem with. But then chose to be very inconsistent on stall calls on guys in bottom position. There are guidelines refs are to follow on stalling, but the eye test is the best tool in calling stall on bottom guy.
I hate the stall call on bottom wrestler when it's 3rd period, top guy got his legs in working a half hearted half. What is bottom guy supposed to do, he's gassed and literally can't improve.
Where stalling needs to be called more is on top guy when all he is doing is parallel riding with little thought of improving for a pin.
The Iowa match did not have the a lot action because ref allowed too much parallel riding on both teams. Warner does absolutely nothing from top position against any good wrestler and he doesn't get called.

He also failed to call "stalling" consistently within the Beard-Schultz match. You have some on here saying he called match correctly - which is an absurd phucking joke! The position wrestled more than any other is Neutral and Schultz didn't take one freaking shot! Not only that, but he backed up the entire match, edge wrestled, went OB to avoid being taken down, etc..... Beard had the only takedowns and offensive points of the match (2 takedowns) and how does this lame Official reward him? He negates 100% of the offensive points with stall calls on Beard, but calls no stalling on Schultz's bullshit until a meaningless, absurd stall warning with 1 second remaining! What an f'ing joke that could only be called like that by a complete tool.

Reactions: Callthestall
He also failed to call "stalling" consistently within the Beard-Schultz match. You have some on here saying he called match correctly - which is an absurd phucking joke! The position wrestled more than any other is Neutral and Schultz didn't take one freaking shot! Not only that, but he backed up the entire match, edge wrestled, went OB to avoid being taken down, etc..... Beard had the only takedowns and offensive points of the match (2 takedowns) and how does this lame Official reward him? He negates 100% of the offensive points with stall calls on Beard, but calls no stalling on Schultz's bullshit until a meaningless, absurd stall warning with 1 second remaining! What an f'ing joke that could only be called like that by a complete tool.
Nebraska worked the edge of the mat in numerous bouts. I definitely thought it was a coaching point that Manning had instructed.
I was 3rd row off the mat in West section , Cael wasn't happy and Cunningham was furious in the Beard match.

The problem with this ref yesterday was that he was wildly inconsistent. I prefer aggressive stall calls, but this guy was all over the place, alternating between aggressive and lenient calls from matchup to matchup, situation to situation and team to to team. That was the problem yesterday and Cael suggested as much in the press conference afterward.
I totally agree with your consistency point and almost posted the same. Consistent enforcement is critical in sports and many other areas of life.

I don't think Cael would agree that he suggested the official was inconsistent in the presser. I'm sure he was choosing his words carefully, but here's his response to the first question out of the gate about inconsistent stall calls:

"Well, I think being an official is a very difficult thing, and so.... And I think we had one of the better officials in the NCAA tonight. So, fortunately, that was good. But yeah, it's tough. We were just talking about it. We got hit for stalling on top and on bottom. So, we just need to make some adjustments there as a team and work on that between now and nationals."

Reactions: hlstone
I didn't hate some of the early stall calls, even the one on Nick Lee. I thought if he calls like this all match it'll favor us in the long run.. He was not consistent IMO..
I’d like to know how many stall calls have been made on Nick Lee in his career. Then ask this ref what he saw differently than ever other ref over his five year career.

Nebraska worked the edge of the mat in numerous bouts. I definitely thought it was a coaching point that Manning had instructed.
I was 3rd row off the mat in West section , Cael wasn't happy and Cunningham was furious in the Beard match.

Doesn't surprise me - the way the Beard match was officiated was ridiculous. So let me get this straight, the Official lets Schultz stall his ass off in Neutral the entire (my mistake, he finally called a meaningless stall on Schultz in Neutral with 1 second remaining!) when Neutral wrestling makes up over half the match and then starts handing out stall calls on Beard like they were going out of style! How precisely did the Ref do a great job of calling stalling when he allowed Schultz to do nothing but stall for over half the match in Neutral???? BTW, if I remember correctly, the tool called his first stall call on Beard while he was on bottom only 5 seconds after Beard had just attempted a very dangerous Granby Roll as he very nearly exposed himself on the attempt - that's a complete bullshit call to make after a bottom wrestler takes a huge gamble like that working to get out and you hit him with a stall call 5 seconds later?

I had no problem with the 2nd stall, but agree on the first. Also, Schultz did nothing to try and score on top his whole ride. If he's not trying to tilt then to me he's stalling. Especially when he has leg or legs in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT