ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Live Thread: Penn State vs. Nebraska

Doesn't surprise me - the way the Beard match was officiated was ridiculous. So let me get this straight, the Official lets Schultz stall his ass off in Neutral the entire (my mistake, he finally called a meaningless stall on Schultz in Neutral with 1 second remaining!) when Neutral wrestling makes up over half the match and then starts handing out stall calls on Beard like they were going out of style! How precisely did the Ref do a great job of calling stalling when he allowed Schultz to do nothing but stall for over half the match in Neutral???? BTW, if I remember correctly, the tool called his first stall call on Beard while he was on bottom only 5 seconds after Beard had just attempted a very dangerous Granby Roll as he very nearly exposed himself on the attempt - that's a complete bullshit call to make after a bottom wrestler takes a huge gamble like that working to get out and you hit him with a stall call 5 seconds later?
Just so you realize, I never said ref did great job. I spoke how I dislike stall calls on bottom guy late in match when they got nothing left and top guy throws his legs in a does very little.. I also don't like guys not trying to improve when he has guy flattening on bottom. The eye test is the best common sense tool a ref has.
Some posters thought ref did good job in that match. It wasn't me.

Just so you realize, I never said ref did great job. I spoke how I hat stall calls on bottom guy late in match when they got nothing left. I also don't like guys not trying to improve when he has guy flattening on bottom.
Some posters thought ref did good job in that match. It wasn't me.

I know you didn't say he did a good job - I wasn't implying you did. I was referring to others.

Reactions: Callthestall
I totally agree with your consistency point and almost posted the same. Consistent enforcement is critical in sports and many other areas of life.

I don't think Cael would agree that he suggested the official was inconsistent in the presser. I'm sure he was choosing his words carefully, but here's his response to the first question out of the gate about inconsistent stall calls:

"Well, I think being an official is a very difficult thing, and so.... And I think we had one of the better officials in the NCAA tonight. So, fortunately, that was good. But yeah, it's tough. We were just talking about it. We got hit for stalling on top and on bottom. So, we just need to make some adjustments there as a team and work on that between now and nationals."

I think what Cael said there was classic coach speak as in how do you slightly criticize the ref without coming right out and saying it bluntly. Given that Cael is not one to criticize officials at all, I think that his answer suggests he was at least mildly displeased.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
My "Spidey senses" tell me it is going to be a long cold February wait until Big Tens commence in March. Expect forum conversations to drift off at times into all kinds of strange directions and unusual places. Maybe towards cul de sacs, potholes, and black holes but perhaps also delightful personal anecdotes and stories, food preferences, fears, fetishes, and fantasies. Bears no doubt dream in their winter caverns and so do wrestling fans, fanatics, and voluptuaries.

Spidey Spidey Senses GIF - Spidey Spidey Senses My Spidey Senses Are Tingling GIFs

• Wow
Reactions: Dogwelder
Sorry, maybe I’m confused with your comment about Michael looking awful coming off.

He’s just coming back from injury, he’s facing the #3 wrestler in the country, and I assume he was bitterly disappointed with the result, as we were. Were you expecting Michael to be running off high fiving everyone or doing front flips?
I see where you are coming from!
I understand that he has been out of action for a few weeks. I was simply observing that he was gasping for air in a somewhat alarming way. I’m sure he was disappointed about getting hosed by the red too!

Reactions: Ja1339
Nick Lee is the most active wrestler in the nation.

Riding is a skill, when done well you earn a point.

Often the wrestler on bottom beneath Nick is relegated to clockwatching.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I am on the side that Nick wasn't stalling, the ref is a complete moron, as was exemplified by far more than a handful of egregious calls throughout the match.

I suspect he climbed into a Monster truck and drove off after the match. All hat no cowboy.

Last edited:
Someone explain to me the correct stall and fleeing calls near the edge. Especially when called in tight important matches.

In the Beard match you can argue he pushed him out so ok, 1 pt. I recall Verk getting the same call against him when his feet were literally being dragged across the mat resisting out of bounds vs tOSU - that looked like fleeing not stalling to me.

Then you have the example I see a half dozen times every single dual, yet it never gets called. A guy has a single, and the other wrestler on his knees is doing everything he can to get out of bounds, reaching for the floor boards beyond the mat, evade. When is fleeing no ot fleeing. Why is that call ignored 90% of the time?

I hate it when many of our opponents seem to use the boundary as an obvious tactic they work to keep the scoring down. Where you see a whole opposing squad move the action to the boundary simply to ward off takedowns or escapes it gets pretty darned frustrating to watch, yet the refs usually ignore it time after time after time.

I am starting to warm to the idea of pushouts in folk.

Someone explain to me the correct stall and fleeing calls near the edge. Especially when called in tight important matches.

In the Beard match you can argue he pushed him out so ok, 1 pt. I recall Verk getting the same call against him when his feet were literally being dragged across the mat resisting out of bounds vs tOSU - that looked like fleeing not stalling to me.

Then you have the example I see a half dozen times every single dual, yet it never gets called. A guy has a single, and the other wrestler on his knees is doing everything he can to get out of bounds, reaching for the floor boards beyond the mat, evade. When is fleeing no ot fleeing. Why is that call ignored 90% of the time?

I hate it when many of our opponents seem to use the boundary as an obvious tactic they work to keep the scoring down. Where you see a whole opposing squad move the action to the boundary simply to ward off takedowns or escapes it gets pretty darned frustrating to watch, yet the refs usually ignore it time after time after time.

I am starting to warm to the idea of pushouts in folk.
Trent Hidlay vs Brooks in the final last year had his feet on the the boundary line 70% of the match.

I think what Cael said there was classic coach speak as in how do you slightly criticize the ref without coming right out and saying it bluntly. Given that Cael is not one to criticize officials at all, I think that his answer suggests he was at least mildly displeased.
There are mechanisms in place to evaluate referees, as well as a small window of opportunity after a match to have a conversation. You are right, Cael will stay close to the vest at press conferences, as he did Sunday. Doesn't mean he won't address any concerns he has when the time is right.

Casey mentioned at the PSWC social that PSU coaches try to identify any tendencies of individual referees (e.g., how they call stalls), so they can inform the wrestlers. Ideally, the coaches would like all referees to have identical judgment, but they recognize that's an unrealistic expectation. Casey also joked notes on referees aren't part of the "3-inch binder." After Sunday they may need to update their notes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT