ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Live Thread: Penn State vs. Nebraska

Sorry, missed the dual and catching up here, reading about Kerk and hamstring injury? Must have been bad if some saying not season ending yet? Tell me it wasn’t serious please

Sorry, missed the dual and catching up here, reading about Kerk and hamstring injury? Must have been bad if some saying not season ending yet? Tell me it wasn’t serious please
He seems okay.

4eh2sNP.png

It didn’t look bad. Happened with about a minute left. Kerk reached for it a few times, but never took injury time. He favored it, but ended up getting a late takedown even if a little hampered.

We’ve got some drama queens on here at times. He needs ultrasound, some rest, ice/heat and therapy. He’ll get 4 weeks of rest.

edit - I think one or 2 “season-ender” comments were clearly sarcasm. Then again, if I was only listening to audio and wasn’t watching it, Byers’ call would have scared me.

Last edited:
Didn't appear to be Kerk's knee; more like a hammy. He definitely favored it for a minute or so, but then got a late TD where he looked more comfortable. I'm cautiously optimistic it was a minor tweak.
I sit in the corner behind the coaches where the guys walk off. Kerk walked off just fine! Very minor hammy if anything. Also, Beard looked just freeking awful coming off. Same old same old >> gas tank issues. Also, did see Dean hanging around down under with the guys. No limp!

Last edited:
If you want a funny example . . . I used to poke fun at the Mike Evans Act relentlessly back in the day. When Matt Brown lost a close match to him one time, a poster actually blamed me for it. Implied I had somehow motivated Evans to wrestle hard enough to win. Not kidding.
Your words do seem to occasionally paint pictures with magic. If you got Evans to move forward, you definitely were using your magic.

Reactions: slushhead
I sit in the corner behind the coaches where the guys walk off. Keep walked off just fine! Very minor hammy if anything. Also, Beard looked just freeking awful coming off. Same old same old >> gas tank issues.
Am I the only one that was impressed that Beard came off injury and weeks of inactivity (rust?) to nearly defeat the #3 guy in the country?

BTW, wasn't there talk about Beard potentially getting a medical shirt this year? I guess that's gone.

Isnt the third stall call two points?
Per the current NCAA Wrestling Rules Book the fourth violation is two points, so unless I am missing something those last two stalling calls against Beard should have been one match point and then two match points. Beard was leading 4-3 prior to the back-to-back stall calls against him. The third overall stall call made the score 4-4 and the fourth call made the score 6-4. The official incorrectly signaled one match point instead of two on the fourth stall call. No one had riding time. Art. 3. Penalty Sequence. a. First violation = warning. b. Second violation = 1 match point to the opponent. c. Third violation = 1 match point to the opponent. d. Fourth violation = 2 match points to the opponent. e. Fifth violation = disqualification.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Per the current NCAA Wrestling Rules Book the fourth violation is two points, so unless I am missing something those last two stalling calls against Beard should have been one match point and then two match points. Beard was leading 4-3 prior to the back-to-back stall calls against him. The third overall stall call made the score 4-4 and the fourth call made the score 6-4. The official incorrectly signaled one match point instead of two on the fourth stall call. No one had riding time. Art. 3. Penalty Sequence. a. First violation = warning. b. Second violation = 1 match point to the opponent. c. Third violation = 1 match point to the opponent. d. Fourth violation = 2 match points to the opponent. e. Fifth violation = disqualification.
But he gave up an escape too so something is wrong.

Also, Beard looked just freeking awful coming off. Same old same old >> gas tank issues

Sorry, maybe I’m confused with your comment about Michael looking awful coming off.

He’s just coming back from injury, he’s facing the #3 wrestler in the country, and I assume he was bitterly disappointed with the result, as we were. Were you expecting Michael to be running off high fiving everyone or doing front flips?

Reactions: dbldoofus
I just reviewed this whole thread and it is clear that this referee and all referees simply do not call stalling nearly enough against our opponents and call it way too much against our guys!
Exactly right. If Schultz was our guy we would be complimenting him doing what he needed to do to win. Fact is Dean has been winning by doing just enough recently. It no crime to call out that Beard deserved what he got in that match. We are in a good spot. Beard is our backup and he would be a starter for every other team out there except for 5 or so. But getting ridden and and the stalling calls weren’t a ref issue, they were a Beard issue. He will need to be better than that to get us more points than Dean most likely will get us.

Reactions: GantryZ and jpsolo
I hope he “wins ugly” all the way to the semis. I’d settle for quarters with a couple more on the back side.

Hildie showed against Nickie that he has the defense, scrambling ability and riding skills to be a threat against anyone at the weight imho. His biggest weakness in the National Tournament the number of 1-point matches he'd need to win consecutively going deeper in Championship Bracket against the best Neutral wrestlers at the weight.

Am I the only one that was impressed that Beard came off injury and weeks of inactivity (rust?) to nearly defeat the #3 guy in the country?

BTW, wasn't there talk about Beard potentially getting a medical shirt this year? I guess that's gone.
No, he looked ****ing magnificent for coming off an injury and not rolling live (as per AB) for several weeks.

Reactions: danoftw
Sorry for the “not season-ending” bit — just having some fun w/ another poster over an incident earlier this year. Shoukd have added the winkie, but sometimes humor is better served dry.

I was hopeful (based on his energy level) that he either hadn’t had much mat time recently, or hadn’t had to manage weight/diet recently.

Its very hard to criticize out coaching staff after so much success. But to look for one thing…I think they two often take the traditional “I choose down” option. If Beard goes neutral in second period he wins that match. Have seen that a few times this year with other matches. All the way back to Molinaro v Dake (although that was apparently Frank’s call). I see it all the time in high school. A kid is competitive on his feet and then chooses down and gets destroyed. I get having faith in the guy’s ability to get out but it seems a throwback to when there was no option to take neutral. Even in a match like Brooks when he is putting on takedown clinic…why go underneath and kill some clock? I just dont get it.

Because the ultimate goal isn't to win a match on Feb 6.

Man, I wish you guys would do PBP...........

Z
125: DH looks awesome! Ref sucks! Can’t believe that call! Nice W!

133: RBY is awesome! GBY (Grandpa Bravo Young) better go to Big Tens and Nationals! Great W!

141: Nick Lee is awesome! Bogus stall call! Nick Lee is incongruent with stalling! Nice W!

149: Beau is awesome! He’ll be awesome at 141 next year! Ref hates us! Too bad about the L.

157: BearClaw is awesome! Almost gets the late TD! Too bad about the L.

165: Edsell is awesome! Great double boots! Nice W!

174: Manville is awesome (at Greco Roman in particular)! Tough loss to highly ranked guy!

184: Brooks is Awesome! He’ll never lose again! Not even at tic tac toe or rock-paper-scissors! Nice W!

197: Beard is awesome! He gets two TDs against #3! Loses on 3 escapes and 765 stall calls. Tough L!

HWT: Kerk is awesome! His hamstring is hanging in a blob outside his leg and he still gets another TD! Nice W!

Thoughts:

125 - Drew has looked good the last few matches so maybe I'm starting to expect more, but I wasn't all that impressed today. I don't think he was in danger of losing at all today, but figured he'd have a chance to really open up the match at some point and that didn't happen. Not at all worried about him so please don't take it that way, just wanted a little more against someone who got teched by Medley who is Soriano's backup. Granted, Medley is a lot more offensive than Drew. Overall a workman like performance.

133 - Wow. It really seems RBY continues to improve and that's scary. He looked phenomenal again today. I'm really hoping Cael can talk him in to one more year just to see him make even more strides. When he gets his motion going, I really don't think there's anyone in the weight that can hang with him. Desanto can keep up with the pace, but not the athleticism, and I think fix can scramble with him, but I don't think has the speed. IMO the clear cut favorite.

141 - Its extremely difficult to wrestle someone so many times throughout their career and keep winning. Red is a very good wrestler, Nick is just plain better. Red had made his career off of being slick and winning scrambles and Nick's pace and tenacity took it away. The match I want to see is Nick and Rivera. Seen some rumblings some think Rivera is going to get the 1 at BIGs. Hard to imagine an undefeated, defending national champion gets the 2, but stranger things have happened I guess.

149 - Before that great scramble was over I thought BB was gonna get the takedown and we were gonna be in for a surprise. Well, I was wrong in that thought. Ridge is tough as nails, and BB never gave up. For that, I give him credit. I still think he can beat some top guys, especially since he's beat Parco, but he's gonna squeak every one of them out. I don't mean to downgrade any of his wins, but that's how he's wrestling. I'm still glad he's with us.

157 - This is where I may take some heat. I honestly believe Berge is making the cut. With him not wrestling the last couple matches, and I believe Cael mentioning his weight, I think he's dropping. Add that to Tony wrestling 65 at Edinboro, and I think he's gonna challenge Edsell. Now, with all that being said, another good match by BearClaw and I think he's improving. Robb is ranked 6th and BearClaw almost knocked him off, in fact, I think he would have given about 10 more seconds. Yes, BearClaw could have been more offensive. Yes, BearClaw could have gone after that shot earlier. There's a lot of shoulda coulda wouldas, but the fact of the matter is BearClaw was right there. Its hard to lose a close one like that and see the positives, but hopefully he realizes how far he's come from the beginning of year. IF Berge is making the cut, which I think is best for the team, then it kind of sucks for BearClaw, but if Berge isn't, than I think BearClaw is definitely the guy and if he continues to make small steps, could surprise a lot of people.

165 - Edsell is another guy that's wrapped up in the whole Berge equation. I mentioned with Tony wrestling 65 at the open, this will be the competition moving forward. Edsell is another guy that usually puts on a workman like performance and continues to wrestle whistle to whistle which is why he's successful. 65 is an absolute meat grinder and no matter who is here for us is going to have their work cut out for them.

174 - Manville has been a true team guy for as long as he's been on campus. I think he's wrestled 65, 74, and 84. Unfortunately for him, its usually against someone that's pretty damn good. I appreciate him taking the mat every time he's called on. He's just not a folk style kid. His accomplishments in greco are well noted and he's been super successful on that stage. Sometimes skills just don't transfer between styles.

184 - Brooks lone loss came against Venz. Since that loss he pinned him, dec twice, and now majored him. Scary good on his feet. The announcers mention his stance every match about how wide it is and how they can't figure out how offensive he is because of that stance. Well, to me it seems like we haven't even seen everything he has in his bag of tricks. I can't remember a time watching Brooks that he went to the under hook series offense. He went to it today, and looked like an old pro. That makes me think he has stuff that he can use that he's never even tapped in to because he's never needed to. His future is bright for as long as he wants to continue competing, folk or free.

197 - Seen a post further up that said Beard hasn't had a live go since the scuffle. If that's true and he just took the 3rd ranked kid in the country down to the wire, actually outwrestled him then wow. Him and Dean are definitely making each other better. I don't agree with the two quick stalls on Beard, actually there were a lot of calls by this ref that I didn't agree with but whatever. Beard had a hell of a match coming off an injury, and if they wrestled again right now I would bet on Beard. According to some, Dean may be out for a few matches so we will see Beard again.

285 - No point in saying a lot here other than I'm interested in how they seed this at BIGs. Kerk beat Parris, Cass beat Kerk, nobody beat Gable, Gable beat Cass and Parris, Parris vs Cass and Gable vs Kerk wasn't scheduled. To me, I think it should go 1. Gable, 2. Kerk, 3. Cass, 4. Parris. I know Cass beat Kerk but also got pinned by an unranked wrestler. With all of their in conference records being relatively equal, that should come in to play.

Great match and it is about that time

WE ARE!

133: RBY is awesome! GBY (Grandpa Bravo Young) better go to Big Tens and Nationals! Great W!

141: Nick Lee is awesome! Bogus stall call! Nick Lee is incongruent with stalling! Nice W!

149: Beau is awesome! He’ll be awesome at 141 next year! Ref hates us! Too bad about the L.

174: Manville is awesome (at Greco Roman in particular)! Tough loss to highly ranked guy!

184: Brooks is Awesome! He’ll never lose again! Not even at tic tac toe or rock-paper-scissors! Nice W!

197: Beard is awesome! He gets two TDs against #3! Loses on 3 escapes and 765 stall calls. Tough L!

HWT: Kerk is awesome! His hamstring is hanging in a blob outside his leg and he still gets another TD! Nice W!
Thanks Mc......

Straight 18-12 or did anyone bonus?

Z

This post is awesome…

Development of wrestlers. Nick Lee's last HS match was a loss to Chad Red. In college Nick is 4-0 against Red and has finished higher at NCAAs every year,

Aaron Rodgers only loss in college was to Taylor Venz. He is now 2-0 ( I think) against Venz with a fall in the 2020 BIG semis and a major decision today. Guess Cael, Codaym, and Casey know what they are doing. :)

JMHO

Reactions: nitlion6
Development of wrestlers. Nick Lee's last HS match was a loss to Chad Red. In college Nick is 4-0 against Red and has finished higher at NCAAs every year,

Aaron Rodgers only loss in college was to Taylor Venz. He is now 2-0 ( I think) against Venz with a fall in the 2020 BIG semis and a major decision today. Guess Cael, Codaym, and Casey know what they are doing. :)

JMHO
May want to discount DOUBLE CHECK that second paragraph. Lol

Well, he never stopped wrestling and got his last takedown with it.

Reactions: mcpat
Yeah, right! My bad, I even have my scoresheet in front of me. Regardless, I will be re-watching to understand all the stall calls. Bizarre on the surface with Beard getting the only two takedowns, yet getting a bunch of stalls.
best quote of the night was a guy to the right of me. in near quiet, he yells, " you're worse than rivera". the place cracked up. think the ref may have actually had a little smile :).

Thoughts:

125 - Drew has looked good the last few matches so maybe I'm starting to expect more, but I wasn't all that impressed today. I don't think he was in danger of losing at all today, but figured he'd have a chance to really open up the match at some point and that didn't happen. Not at all worried about him so please don't take it that way, just wanted a little more against someone who got teched by Medley who is Soriano's backup. Granted, Medley is a lot more offensive than Drew. Overall a workman like performance.

133 - Wow. It really seems RBY continues to improve and that's scary. He looked phenomenal again today. I'm really hoping Cael can talk him in to one more year just to see him make even more strides. When he gets his motion going, I really don't think there's anyone in the weight that can hang with him. Desanto can keep up with the pace, but not the athleticism, and I think fix can scramble with him, but I don't think has the speed. IMO the clear cut favorite.

141 - Its extremely difficult to wrestle someone so many times throughout their career and keep winning. Red is a very good wrestler, Nick is just plain better. Red had made his career off of being slick and winning scrambles and Nick's pace and tenacity took it away. The match I want to see is Nick and Rivera. Seen some rumblings some think Rivera is going to get the 1 at BIGs. Hard to imagine an undefeated, defending national champion gets the 2, but stranger things have happened I guess.

149 - Before that great scramble was over I thought BB was gonna get the takedown and we were gonna be in for a surprise. Well, I was wrong in that thought. Ridge is tough as nails, and BB never gave up. For that, I give him credit. I still think he can beat some top guys, especially since he's beat Parco, but he's gonna squeak every one of them out. I don't mean to downgrade any of his wins, but that's how he's wrestling. I'm still glad he's with us.

157 - This is where I may take some heat. I honestly believe Berge is making the cut. With him not wrestling the last couple matches, and I believe Cael mentioning his weight, I think he's dropping. Add that to Tony wrestling 65 at Edinboro, and I think he's gonna challenge Edsell. Now, with all that being said, another good match by BearClaw and I think he's improving. Robb is ranked 6th and BearClaw almost knocked him off, in fact, I think he would have given about 10 more seconds. Yes, BearClaw could have been more offensive. Yes, BearClaw could have gone after that shot earlier. There's a lot of shoulda coulda wouldas, but the fact of the matter is BearClaw was right there. Its hard to lose a close one like that and see the positives, but hopefully he realizes how far he's come from the beginning of year. IF Berge is making the cut, which I think is best for the team, then it kind of sucks for BearClaw, but if Berge isn't, than I think BearClaw is definitely the guy and if he continues to make small steps, could surprise a lot of people.

165 - Edsell is another guy that's wrapped up in the whole Berge equation. I mentioned with Tony wrestling 65 at the open, this will be the competition moving forward. Edsell is another guy that usually puts on a workman like performance and continues to wrestle whistle to whistle which is why he's successful. 65 is an absolute meat grinder and no matter who is here for us is going to have their work cut out for them.

174 - Manville has been a true team guy for as long as he's been on campus. I think he's wrestled 65, 74, and 84. Unfortunately for him, its usually against someone that's pretty damn good. I appreciate him taking the mat every time he's called on. He's just not a folk style kid. His accomplishments in greco are well noted and he's been super successful on that stage. Sometimes skills just don't transfer between styles.

184 - Brooks lone loss came against Venz. Since that loss he pinned him, dec twice, and now majored him. Scary good on his feet. The announcers mention his stance every match about how wide it is and how they can't figure out how offensive he is because of that stance. Well, to me it seems like we haven't even seen everything he has in his bag of tricks. I can't remember a time watching Brooks that he went to the under hook series offense. He went to it today, and looked like an old pro. That makes me think he has stuff that he can use that he's never even tapped in to because he's never needed to. His future is bright for as long as he wants to continue competing, folk or free.

197 - Seen a post further up that said Beard hasn't had a live go since the scuffle. If that's true and he just took the 3rd ranked kid in the country down to the wire, actually outwrestled him then wow. Him and Dean are definitely making each other better. I don't agree with the two quick stalls on Beard, actually there were a lot of calls by this ref that I didn't agree with but whatever. Beard had a hell of a match coming off an injury, and if they wrestled again right now I would bet on Beard. According to some, Dean may be out for a few matches so we will see Beard again.

285 - No point in saying a lot here other than I'm interested in how they seed this at BIGs. Kerk beat Parris, Cass beat Kerk, nobody beat Gable, Gable beat Cass and Parris, Parris vs Cass and Gable vs Kerk wasn't scheduled. To me, I think it should go 1. Gable, 2. Kerk, 3. Cass, 4. Parris. I know Cass beat Kerk but also got pinned by an unranked wrestler. With all of their in conference records being relatively equal, that should come in to play.

WE ARE!
Thanks for the commentary. WRT HWT, as long as Kerk is 2 or 3 at B1G's he's good; just don't want to be the 4.

Thoughts:

WE ARE!
That was a very long… but very well written post. For folks scared to read it for its length… it was worth it. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT