ADVERTISEMENT

J'den Cox interveiw

I got the feeling he's going 97 kg. He talked about future aspirations and beating the best. Sadulaev & Snyder > DT & Yazdani.

David Taylor was voted by the UWW to be the "best pound-for-pound freestyle wrestler in the world" in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Cox already beat DT? I seem to remember something about those two wrestling...
Footage:

slipnslide-1.gif

What I remember seeing is DT winning the first handily. Then he lost #2 and couldn't beat a one-legged Cox in number 3. Not only could he not beat him, but gave up points to a one-legged dude.

So, back to my original point: Sadulaev & Snyder > DT & Yazdani. My point was not a knock on DT. Don't get butthurt. He's a helluva wrestler, just doesn't have the career of Cox, Snyder or Sadulaev.

What I remember seeing is DT winning the first handily. Then he lost #2 and couldn't beat a one-legged Cox in number 3. Not only could he not beat him, but gave up points to a one-legged dude.

So, back to my original point: Sadulaev & Snyder > DT & Yazdani. My point was not a knock on DT. Don't get butthurt. He's a helluva wrestler, just doesn't have the career of Cox, Snyder or Sadulaev.

.... because obviously in your eyes, Taylor is the same wrestler now that he was 28 months ago.

We will see what Cox chooses. At this point Cox going to 97 probably helps the USA more then him at 86. But we still have some time till the OTT. Your original post was centered around Cox beating Snyder and Sadulaev to beat the best and cement his legacy. So if he goes 86 and beats someone hes beaten before how do you respond to that, he chickened out of wrestling "the best"? He chose a "cake walk" to the Olympics and the gold medal?

We will see what Cox chooses. At this point Cox going to 97 probably helps the USA more then him at 86. But we still have some time till the OTT. Your original post was centered around Cox beating Snyder and Sadulaev to beat the best and cement his legacy. So if he goes 86 and beats someone hes beaten before how do you respond to that, he chickened out of wrestling "the best"? He chose a "cake walk" to the Olympics and the gold medal?

Nobody said 86 is a cakewalk. There are multiple world champs.

By Cox admission, he wants to beat the best and cement his legacy. My belief is that would be at 97kg. 97kg has the best wrestler in the world (Sadulaev) if it isn't Cox, and the only guy to beat him. Between them, they have 8 World/Olympic Golds, 2 silver and a bronze. DT/ Yaz has 4 gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze.

So, no. It wouldn't be chickening out, but for his "legacy" as he put it, 97kg is the best route.

Yes, I believe that Cox at 97 is the best route for USA too.

Cox is better than Taylor. By all past data he still can't be put ahead of snyder. If anything I imagine the distance between him and Taylor has grown further apart with the dt injury. The real question to me is where does bo go now?

Cox may indeed be better than Taylor (and perhaps especially if DT can't fully recover and round into form by April). He holds a 2 matches to 1 lead all time in their series.

One other data point that hasn't been mentioned yet is what I believe was Cox's last loss internationally to Boris Makoev of Slovakia. He lost 6-3 in the 2017 semis of the World Championships in Paris, Makoev would go on to get tech'd 0-10 to Yazdani. David Taylor, in his only match against Makoev, won by Fall in last year's Yasar Dogu. We all know DT's 2 matches against King Yazdani the Greatest.

Now, it does seem J'den has jumped levels in the last year, while David has been rehabbing. Time will tell what happens. I do think it's a bit silly to blanket-proclaim Cox superior to David though (or visa versa). They're two super-elite guys with wildly different styles on the mat. If Cox does goes 86 in April, I will be yelling my guts out for David with thousands of my friends. If Cox wins, I'll root for him in Tokyo, for sure.

To coin a financial mantra -- past performance does not guarantee future results. There will be surprises at the Olympic Trials. Line 'em up, and may the best man win. Embrace the opportunity.

Hope thats true...As far as team wise I feel Dake DT Cox > Dake Cox Snyder

No love for Bo? ;-)

Quip aside, I think Bo goes 86 and I think he has a real shot. With DT idle for so long he might not be in world class shape so to speak for the trials, Bo probably has his tendencies down and visa versa, and I think Bo has endless potential and is learning the craft quickly. I don't think it is out of the question he takes out Cox if they meet again.

With some gross assumptions on who's going where, I have it:

50% DT
30% Cox with the cut
20% Bo
0% PD3 and the rest.....

Last edited:
No love for Bo? ;-)

Quip aside, I think Bo goes 86 and I think he has a real shot. With DT idle for so long he might not be in world class shape so to speak for the trials, Bo probably has his tendencies down and visa versa, and I think Bo has endless potential and is learning the craft quickly. I don't think it is out of the question he takes out Cox if they meet again.

With some gross assumptions on who's going where, I have it:

50% DT
30% Cox with the cut
20% Bo
0% PD3 and the rest.....
I think you need to give Dieringer a few+ % there too. He’s a monster.

No where near as confident on a %distribution for me. I’d give a healthy DT about 35, Cox 35, Bo & Ringer 12.5 a piece, the field maybe 5%

Last edited:
Cox may indeed be better than Taylor (and perhaps especially if DT can't fully recover and round into form by April). He holds a 2 matches to 1 lead all time in their series.

One other data point that hasn't been mentioned yet is what I believe was Cox's last loss internationally to Boris Makoev of Slovakia. He lost 6-3 in the 2017 semis of the World Championships in Paris, Makoev would go on to get tech'd 0-10 to Yazdani. David Taylor, in his only match against Makoev, won by Fall in last year's Yasar Dogu. We all know DT's 2 matches against King Yazdani the Greatest.

Now, it does seem J'den has jumped levels in the last year, while David has been rehabbing. Time will tell what happens. I do think it's a bit silly to blanket-proclaim Cox superior to David though (or visa versa). They're two super-elite guys with wildly different styles on the mat. If Cox does goes 86 in April, I will be yelling my guts out for David with thousands of my friends. If Cox wins, I'll root for him in Tokyo, for sure.

I guess we could use the Dake common for this too if we want to pick out specific data points. Cox is 2-1 against Dake. DT is 0-8?

With either of these guys, the USA is the obvious gold medal favorite with DT or Cox at 86kg.

I would also venture to say a finalist threat if Ringer were to make it.

I guess we could use the Dake common for this too if we want to pick out specific data points. Cox is 2-1 against Dake. DT is 0-8?

With either of these guys, the USA is the obvious gold medal favorite with DT or Cox at 86kg.

I would also venture to say a finalist threat if Ringer were to make it.

or even Bo

Reactions: WrestleEveryDay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT